PDA

View Full Version : Tom Lawrence

boinggazmic
26-06-2022, 12:10 PM
According to reports we are in pole position in getting Tom Lawrence. My derby buddy rates him highly.what you reckon.he is or was their captain.

mickd1961
26-06-2022, 12:35 PM
A really good signing if we can get him.

I don’t think we can keep getting this lucky with “frees” though so I expect he’ll end up elsewhere.

Leicesterbaggie
26-06-2022, 01:11 PM
I suppose that if a player is moving to or within the Championship, we are what could be termed as a 'glamour' club at that level. I realise that we only finished 10th but the name West Bromwich Albion, despite what many of us think, is still an attraction. This could assist us in bringing players to the club. I could be wrong of course!

mickd1961
26-06-2022, 01:27 PM
Forest are said to be interested though, fairly local for him and a Prem club as well.

I like Lawrence as a player and he has midfield goals in his game at a good ratio.

Maybe we’re aiming to out score everyone and not worry about our dire defence!?

billsbest
26-06-2022, 01:52 PM
I've said before I think Lawrence would be a great addition. I can't believe we could get him as well as the last two signings! We will have some team if we do get him.

Omegstrat6
26-06-2022, 01:54 PM
Be a good catch for us if we can land him. If we do, it's been a much better start to pre season recruitment than I'd anticipated (not that that bar was very high😀)

mickd1961
26-06-2022, 03:23 PM
But we’re weak at the back at centre half, we need a right back, a defensive midfielder with the energy of Mulumbu or the awareness of Yacob or Yoksulu and we need another forward because Dike is made of rice paper.

Don’t be fooled by two or three additions to the more advanced midfield positions.

Dubbag
26-06-2022, 04:52 PM
Until some dead wood is moved out I am not that impressed with the signings.
They will still most likely play second fiddle to the stale wood we still have.

kettering_baggie
27-06-2022, 02:59 PM
Not a chance in Hell that we will get Tom Lawrence

wba13
27-06-2022, 09:43 PM
Lawrence on his way boys….

#WBA
West Brom are closing in on their third major free transfer as they look to sign Tom Lawrence.
There are other clubs interested but he is keen to join the Baggies.
Deal expected to be done in the next couple of days.

[via @reluctantnicko]

saltnshake
27-06-2022, 10:31 PM
Don't really like Lawrence, but will give him a chance, you would presume someone is leaving to make space for him.

Titchfieldbaggie
28-06-2022, 08:55 AM
Not interested, now, apparently.

'Meanwhile, the Express & Star understands there is no truth to reports linking Albion with a move for Tom Lawrence. The Wales international is a free agent after leaving Derby.'

WBA123
28-06-2022, 09:12 AM
But we’re weak at the back at centre half, we need a right back, a defensive midfielder with the energy of Mulumbu or the awareness of Yacob or Yoksulu and we need another forward because Dike is made of rice paper.

Don’t be fooled by two or three additions to the more advanced midfield positions.

I think before the start of the window our strongest position was centre half. If we play 4 at the back, we've got Bartley, Ajayi, O'Shea, Kipre, Taylor. All players who could do a job there.

And our weakest position at that point was attacking midfield / striker. Well if we get Lawrence we'll have a lot of options in AM now.

I think now we are weakest at both full back positions and in defensive midfield. If we sign a full back on either side and a holding midfielder, maybe a back up striker for Dike - we've had as good a window as could be expected.

kettering_baggie
28-06-2022, 09:30 AM
What a pity we didn’t sign Scott Twine from MK Dons, he’s gone to Burnley, he would have been far better than any of Grant, Robinson, Zohore or Diangana; he’d probably have been better than that lot put together. As for Lawrence, I expect that he’s eyeing a Premier League club.

baggieal
28-06-2022, 09:44 AM
I think before the start of the window our strongest position was centre half. If we play 4 at the back, we've got Bartley, Ajayi, O'Shea, Kipre, Taylor. All players who could do a job there.

And our weakest position at that point was attacking midfield / striker. Well if we get Lawrence we'll have a lot of options in AM now.

I think now we are weakest at both full back positions and in defensive midfield. If we sign a full back on either side and a holding midfielder, maybe a back up striker for Dike - we've had as good a window as could be expected.

100% agree with you on this!

Dubbag
28-06-2022, 10:13 AM
Meanwhile, the Express & Star understands there is no truth to reports linking Albion with a move for Tom Lawrence. The Wales international is a free agent after leaving Derby.

But despite reports to the contrary, Albion are not believed to interested in signing him – with Bruce’s squad well stocked with players who can play on the right and left wing.

baggiematt
28-06-2022, 11:27 AM
Full back positions are very weak IMO but it would be great to see some young lads take those spots. Ingram and Ashworth have travelled pre-season so that might be in the back of Bruce's mind. Would be a shame to have a U23 side winning the cup but the club can't put any near the first team.

Dubbag
28-06-2022, 11:53 AM
Full back positions are very weak IMO but it would be great to see some young lads take those spots. Ingram and Ashworth have travelled pre-season so that might be in the back of Bruce's mind. Would be a shame to have a U23 side winning the cup but the club can't put any near the first team.

Actually very true Matt......some of that team should be exposed to first team practices........I wonder if any have gone off to Portugal with the first team?

wba13
28-06-2022, 12:23 PM
Masi saying no truth in Lawrence links, but Nixon is adamant that the deal is still on.
Taking bets who’s right and who’s wrong.
Personally with the introduction of 5 subs there could be some leverage in Nixon’s remarks, but if he does come in I came see one of CR7, Phillips or even Grady leaving.

Albionic68
28-06-2022, 12:35 PM
Actually very true Matt......some of that team should be exposed to first team practices........I wonder if any have gone off to Portugal with the first team?

Ingram, Ashworth, TGH, Taylor and I believe Griffiths are all in Portugal with the first team.

Albionic68
28-06-2022, 12:35 PM
And Quevin Castro.

Dubbag
28-06-2022, 12:41 PM
Ingram, Ashworth, TGH, Taylor and I believe Griffiths are all in Portugal with the first team.

Thank you for that 68.

BaggieBlood
28-06-2022, 03:24 PM
Read somewhere TL stats were worse than CR last season so I don't see the need for him unless CR is on more money and we can sell him for some monet to buy a dm like O'brien from Huddersfield (never going to happen in reality).

Also, TL only seem to perform in the second half of the season when he needed to impress future clubs wanting him on a free.

The dm imo is the one we need most as a great one can control the game. In an ideal world that would be Molumby, but I haven't seen anything from him to suggest he can do it.

Omegstrat6
29-06-2022, 03:06 PM
I think the position we were clearly weakest in last season and one we desperately needed to get someone in for was an attacking midfielder. Signing John Swift was a shrewd bit of work, as was getting Jed Wallace. Ideally, I would have liked a further option too and personally would have preferred Choudhury to Lawrence but doubt we will stump up the 80% of his wages required and talk of this all seems to have gone quiet now.

Given our financial constraints I have to agree with others that a DM should now be our next priority. At a push, I think our current defence will do the job. Be nice to improve our options across the pitch but we know we haven't got the money for that. Our other problem, of course, is finding a way of shifting all the dead wood!

DaveP67 is back!
29-06-2022, 05:01 PM
I think the position we were clearly weakest in last season and one we desperately needed to get someone in for was an attacking midfielder. Signing John Swift was a shrewd bit of work, as was getting Jed Wallace. Ideally, I would have liked a further option too and personally would have preferred Choudhury to Lawrence but doubt we will stump up the 80% of his wages required and talk of this all seems to have gone quiet now.

Given our financial constraints I have to agree with others that a DM should now be our next priority. At a push, I think our current defence will do the job. Be nice to improve our options across the pitch but we know we haven't got the money for that. Our other problem, of course, is finding a way of shifting all the dead wood!

100% we were a collection of random parts last season, getting a playmaker, central attacking midfielder, number 10 or whatever you call it was a must, oddly I feel quite optimistic for this season now.

billsbest
29-06-2022, 06:38 PM
We have made 2 great additions and in Dike have a new player. We will no doubt add a couple of half decent loans so I am confident about the new season

soulman101
29-06-2022, 07:38 PM
Would settle for 2nd place, but hope we go up as champions COYB and throw in a Cup