PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fancy a wee dram?

kettering_baggie
10-07-2022, 02:56 PM
I have just read that a cask of Ardbeg malt whisky has sold for a record £16 million! Bought by a woman in Asia; she must like her whisky and the contents of the cask are enough to fill 440 bottles, that’s £36,000 per bottle! There is dreadful poverty in large parts of Asia and here we have someone that can blow £16m on a barrel of booze! The inequality of the World, eh?

mickd1961
10-07-2022, 04:09 PM
Vile drink.

Could never get the attraction.

Dubbag
10-07-2022, 04:35 PM
I have just read that a cask of Ardbeg malt whisky has sold for a record £16 million! Bought by a woman in Asia; she must like her whisky and the contents of the cask are enough to fill 440 bottles, that’s £36,000 per bottle! There is dreadful poverty in large parts of Asia and here we have someone that can blow £16m on a barrel of booze! The inequality of the World, eh?

Huge imbalance globally....when you see space tourists going into higher atmosphere for millions of pounds just for kicks...you just know....something is rotten in global society.......

baggieal
10-07-2022, 04:43 PM
Vile drink.

Could never get the attraction.

Good for cleaning the drains. This drink is Scotland’s claim to fame! Can’t think of many more 😎

kettering_baggie
10-07-2022, 04:47 PM
Good for cleaning the drains. This drink is Scotland’s claim to fame! Can’t think of many more ��

Don’t forget the Haggis; Nicola or the bag with rubbish in it, take your pick!

SwedishBaggie
10-07-2022, 05:57 PM
I love a good single malt! 🥃

Glendronach is one favourite.

Yarmbaggie
10-07-2022, 06:22 PM
I love a good single malt! 🥃

Glendronach is one favourite.

Totally with you on that.

Have to say I was a little surprised it was an Ardbeg though as not a great fan myself. That said only had the 10 year single which is to say the least far more modestly priced.

Still can’t beat a Highland Park single malt for me.

Also partial to the occasional Rusty nail, I.e. single malt and drambuie in equal measures for those who haven’t tried it. Can’t be beaten as a warmer on a cold winters walk over the Moors. The honey favour in the drambuie gives a lovely warming feel to the drink as it slides down.

Albionic68
10-07-2022, 06:38 PM

That's fk all Mike. Some blokes from China clubbed together and bought a round of warm Carlsberg, some soft drinks and throat warmer scarves which would have left Action Man freezing on a cold day for s hits and giggles back in 2016 😉 .

SwedishBaggie
10-07-2022, 06:50 PM
Totally with you on that.

Have to say I was a little surprised it was an Ardbeg though as not a great fan myself. That said only had the 10 year single which is to say the least far more modestly priced.

Still can’t beat a Highland Park single malt for me.

Also partial to the occasional Rusty nail, I.e. single malt and drambuie in equal measures for those who haven’t tried it. Can’t be beaten as a warmer on a cold winters walk over the Moors. The honey favour in the drambuie gives a lovely warming feel to the drink as it slides down.

Highland Park are really good, recently finished an 18-year-old.

Glenfarclas are good too, but, there really are many to choose from.

Epsombaggie
10-07-2022, 07:01 PM
So much to choose from. I recall going in to this bar in Glasgow with 450 single malts & blends on offer. Don't recall too much afterwards!

Epsombaggie
10-07-2022, 07:13 PM
Current favourite tipple is the Classic Laddie from Bruichladdich distillery. Very smooth but beware 50% ABV. I also am very fond of haggis and Lorne sausage

SwedishBaggie
10-07-2022, 07:54 PM
Current favourite tipple is the Classic Laddie from Bruichladdich distillery. Very smooth but beware 50% ABV. I also am very fond of haggis and Lorne sausage

Yes, and the Cask Strengths, 55-plus 60 % ABV… 😳😊🥃

Yarmbaggie
10-07-2022, 09:18 PM
Yes, and the Cask Strengths, 55-plus 60 % ABV… 😳😊🥃

I had a cask strength Edradour for my 50th birthday. We visited the distillery and did the tour, well recommended.

Bottle only came out for special occasions. Managed to finally finish it off last December, my 70th birthday. Was quite sad really!! My grandson showed me on eBay, an empty bottle and certificated signed case were for sale for £25 but couldn’t part with it.

westcountryvillain
11-07-2022, 07:33 AM
Definitely an acquired taste and one of those drinks to persevere with until you find "the one" - Highland Park is the best I've had so far but still early days.

Whilst walking the West Highland Way with some mates in May we popped into the Glengoyne distillery, it's on the route so rude not to - the 70yr old would set you back £3,500 and an 18yr old wouldn't give you much change from £100.

Must give the Rusty Nail a try next winter.