PDA

View Full Version : My Fear This Season - Same Old - Same Old

baggieal
16-07-2022, 09:25 PM
We have not had a lethal striker since Gayle left and look at the amount of goals Fulham scored last year!

My fear this season will be the lack of goals yet again! Grant is lazy and can see Dike not scoring a load of goals or getting injured again!

We need a decent goal scorer and whoever gets Gayle again if kept fit - will see goals!

Pre season friendlies are pre season friendlies but getting sick of Bruce saying we should have taken our chances!!!!!

Goals come easy to the likes of Gayle and Mitrovic who know where the net is. It’s that simple!

BaggieSingh
16-07-2022, 09:56 PM
My bro in law was over from Florida and he said his mates who are Orlando fans say Dike is class, and will score plenty of goals in Champ

My issue is Gayle now seems injury prone, so no point going for him
I hope we can get Diangana back to form he’s a class player on his day

mickd1961
16-07-2022, 10:02 PM
My bro in law was over from Florida and he said his mates who are Orlando fans say Dike is class, and will score plenty of goals in Champ

My issue is Gayle now seems injury prone, so no point going for him
I hope we can get Diangana back to form he’s a class player on his day

With all due respect BS........what do the Yanks know about football!? 😏🤣

BaggieSingh
16-07-2022, 10:15 PM
With all due respect BS........what do the Yanks know about football!? ����

Luckily he’s an expat and many of the guys who he knows are too - I just pray they are right

Dubbag
17-07-2022, 06:17 AM
I don't have any fears for the season ahead Al.
Last season had me lowering my pre season expectations for this season last December.

Dike could be key for us. Untried.
Like a new player....but we have had Anichiebe, Rondon and others that have failed to score consistently.
Mid-table by end of season. Settled squad with prospects going forward and no major scandals in the accounts.
Anything else....just a bonus.

boingy
17-07-2022, 06:21 AM
Yes. Same old same old. Nothing has changed up front. We don’t have a confident prolific goal scorer.

Yarmbaggie
17-07-2022, 07:09 AM
I did some work for a previous thread when we went down from the PL showing that every year this century, bar one I think it was, the top 2 goal scoring teams in the Championship always first in the top 3 positions and usually the top 2.

Beacause most teams can beat each other in this relentless league you have to find ways of scoring goals every game and to go up you need to win a lot of games. Our season of getting promoted under Sir Gary on the back of 1-0 was a one off.

So much is down to us getting those goals and therefore unless Dike is another Gayle then I for one cannot see us challenging for the top 2 spots. I try to see the good in Grant but I really couldn’t see him being what we needed when we signed him and my fears have only been confirmed.

Also I wouldn’t underestimate the need for creative players as well. The likes of Gayle and Rodriguez only scored as many as they did down to the creative players around them. That is the area where I do feel encouraged and am very hopeful that the new players we have bought this transfer window will create a lot better quality chances than we’re created last season.

WBA1955
17-07-2022, 10:25 AM
When we came up under Giles and had a front two of Mayo and Edwards we only scored about 51 goals.
But I agree, a good striker we have been crying out for since Odemwingie left.
Striker's are the last piece of the jigsaw and the most expensive. That's why we sign attacking midfielders and wingers.

Bombers right foot
17-07-2022, 10:39 AM
I really hope Dike comes good, obviously a bit rusty, looks at the moment like a poor man’s Brown Ideye.
Has Cleary signed a contract? If he has why isn’t he getting experience in the friendlies

Dubbag
17-07-2022, 10:48 AM
I really hope Dike comes good, obviously a bit rusty, looks at the moment like a poor man’s Brown Ideye.
Really??
Was hoping not the case....maybe they have asked him to rein in before the season starts, so not to give too much away...He is still an unknown quantity at the moment....

mickd1961
17-07-2022, 10:51 AM
When we came up under Giles and had a front two of Mayo and Edwards we only scored about 51 goals.
But I agree, a good striker we have been crying out for since Odemwingie left.
Striker's are the last piece of the jigsaw and the most expensive. That's why we sign attacking midfielders and wingers.

Edwards only played twice in that season Des and Mayo 28 times.

I think Ally Brown was injured for a stretch because he only played 20 odd games but was still top scorer.

It was mainly him, Willie and Bomber who were more up front that season.

Albionic68
17-07-2022, 11:12 AM
Has Cleary signed a contract? If he has why isn’t he getting experience in the friendlies

No Cleary hasn't signed a new contract, he's on a scholarship contract (I think).

Whatever type it is it expires in December as they run to calendar years as opposed to professional contracts which run from season to season.

IF Dike keeps clear of injury he should be fine. His chance conversion rate is actually very good.

We have to remember he only played for half a season at Championship level with Barnsley so there'll be rough edges to his game though.

That and he was recruited to play a hugely different style of football to whatever Bruce will ask of him.