PDA

View Full Version : Energy Prices Will See Businesses Collapse

baggieal
30-08-2022, 11:35 AM
Businesses are already collapsing like a stack of dominoes due to energy prices rocketing and mental health and depression cases are going through the roof with those who can’t pay these prices.

The Government should all be sacked from letting these energy companies make eight times the profit of the previous year. Should the top six supermarkets all get together and agree to treble all their food prices?

Meanwhile France who are more reliant on Russian energy than us have capped their prices - see below!! F uckin disgraceful!!

France has capped electricity price rises at 4% - could UK do the same?
In January the French government forced state-owned energy provider EDF to cap price rises at 4% for a year - could the same be done in the UK and does it mean the French are better off?
The measure has cost €8.4bn (£7bn) and will protect the majority of households from the huge energy bills hikes seen here in the UK.

mickd1961
30-08-2022, 11:53 AM
From my own point of view the cost and the hassle of running a business is just becoming too difficult.

The variables are changing so rapidly that it’s impossible to keep up with them.

We have to order our goods from each brand many months in advance due to production lead times in the Far East being now being so under pressure.

So we ordered during January and February for what we projected we’d need this autumn and winter.

Unfortunately, due to people being under such pressure and due to price increases on everything we’ve had to increase prices at a time when people have become scared to buy our type of non essential item.

The brands are putting pressure on us and many other companies to take the goods we’ve ordered even though it could drive us into the ground.

I’m at the point where I’m fed up of the fight and the stress, I’m keeping a business going for the benefit of my staff who I feel such responsibility for whilst taking almost nothing for myself in recent months.

I own my own premises with no owings on it, I’m getting to the point where the simple and easy thing to do is to pack in trading and just rent out my site as it’s rental value is quite high as is its sale price.

For the first time in my 25 years of trading I’m at my wits end and struggling to find answers.

In the past I’ve had challenges including Covid but this is at a completely different level for my business and many others.

I’m actually scared for the first time since I started in 1997.

baggieal
30-08-2022, 12:00 PM
From my own point of view the cost and the hassle of running a business is just becoming too difficult.

The variables are changing so rapidly that it’s impossible to keep up with them.

We have to order our goods from each brand many months in advance due to production lead times in the Far East being now being so under pressure.

So we ordered during January and February for what we projected we’d need this autumn and winter.

Unfortunately, due to people being under such pressure and due to price increases on everything we’ve had to increase prices at a time when people have become scared to buy our type of non essential item.

The brands are putting pressure on us and many other companies to take the goods we’ve ordered even though it could drive us into the ground.

I’m at the point where I’m fed up of the fight and the stress, I’m keeping a business going for the benefit of my staff who I feel such responsibility for whilst taking almost nothing for myself in recent months.

I own my own premises with no owings on it, I’m getting to the point where the simple and easy thing to do is to pack in trading and just rent out my site as it’s rental value is quite high as is its sale price.

For the first time in my 25 years of trading I’m at my wits end and struggling to find answers.

In the past I’ve had challenges including Covid but this is at a completely different level for my business and many others.

I’m actually scared for the first time since I started in 1997.

The answer Mick as you are not a spring chicken - sell up and enjoy life! Your staff would show no loyalty to you if offered a much bigger package else where.

I am in the process of selling up and it’s advanced. I want to enjoy life to the maximum and not have the pressure!

If people are worried now - January 2023 will become someone’s worst nightmare! Consumer spending is hugely slowing down and I blame the inept government letting the energy companies cause it

kettering_baggie
30-08-2022, 12:18 PM
My dad ran his own business and when times were good everything was rosy but when things took a downturn, the stress was overwhelming; the effects of that stress led to his death at 64. As for the current energy crisis, we differ from the French in that all our energy companies are in private hands; when gas was privatised by Maggie, many (me included) believed it to be a big mistake, how true that has turned out to be.

The management of this crisis is appalling, there is, effectively, no government to deal with it now. Whatever you may think of Boris and his misdemeanours, it was the wrong time to change Prime Minister. This may sound crazy but we may yet rue the day the Tories ousted Boris; I don’t know anyone that wants Sunak and as for Truss, well, she seems clueless.

Anyone have any paddles for our journey up the creek?

baggieal
30-08-2022, 12:32 PM
My dad ran his own business and when times were good everything was rosy but when things took a downturn, the stress was overwhelming; the effects of that stress led to his death at 64. As for the current energy crisis, we differ from the French in that all our energy companies are in private hands; when gas was privatised by Maggie, many (me included) believed it to be a big mistake, how true that has turned out to be.

The management of this crisis is appalling, there is, effectively, no government to deal with it now. Whatever you may think of Boris and his misdemeanours, it was the wrong time to change Prime Minister. This may sound crazy but we may yet rue the day the Tories ousted Boris; I don’t know anyone that wants Sunak and as for Truss, well, she seems clueless.

Anyone have any paddles for our journey up the creek?

So so true!! Blame the w ankers called MP’S for ousting him as don’t believe the majority of Joe Public through their MP’S who voted him in would have wanted him to go!

Sunak is a back stabbing greedy tax avoidance c unt and yes Truss appears completely clueless! What a choice!

Albionic68
30-08-2022, 12:38 PM
Someone needs to check Truss for evidence of a brainwave.

baggiematt
30-08-2022, 12:49 PM
We really don’t want nationalised energy firms IMO. The French are paying a fortune to not only nationalise but also to guarantee prices to folk doesn’t go beyond 4%. We can get exactly the same outcome through different means (also costing a fortune) but less the fee to buy out these firms.

The reason we don’t want nationalisation is how anti competitive it is, which inevitably leads to higher costs, as monopolies always do. A 10% price hike by private firms is generally accepted in a society….a 10% government increase causes public outcry.

Also, based on how poor our governments have been in recent years, should we really trust them with our energy? It’s really not worth it.

baggieal
30-08-2022, 01:25 PM
We really don’t want nationalised energy firms IMO. The French are paying a fortune to not only nationalise but also to guarantee prices to folk doesn’t go beyond 4%. We can get exactly the same outcome through different means (also costing a fortune) but less the fee to buy out these firms.

The reason we don’t want nationalisation is how anti competitive it is, which inevitably leads to higher costs, as monopolies always do. A 10% price hike by private firms is generally accepted in a society….a 10% government increase causes public outcry.

Also, based on how poor our governments have been in recent years, should we really trust them with our energy? It’s really not worth it.

Most businesses on the verge of collapse or those who are having mental health issues about how to pay for energy won’t gave two
F ucks about whatever is done as long as short term they can exist or survive. It’s those who don’t have any issues who can offer solutions about the best path to take even if it’s a long term one!

Why don’t the six top supermarkets do what energy companies are doing - increase food prices by 80%. They could some may say and why shouldn’t they if energy companies can reign in obscene profits!

baggiematt
30-08-2022, 01:33 PM
Why don’t the six top supermarkets do what energy companies are doing - increase food prices by 80%. They could some may say and why shouldn’t they if energy companies can reign in obscene profits!

I actually think they would if they could. It would have a lot to do with smaller players in the energy market collapsing making it less competitive. The same would happen if Asda and Lidl went bump, we’d all be talking about the scandalous Tesco.

mickd1961
30-08-2022, 02:40 PM
Most businesses on the verge of collapse or those who are having mental health issues about how to pay for energy won’t gave two
F ucks about whatever is done as long as short term they can exist or survive. It’s those who don’t have any issues who can offer solutions about the best path to take even if it’s a long term one!

I keep repeating, it isn’t the energy companies to blame in the main, it’s the massive companies like BP and Shell who extract the gas that are making the money!

baggieal
30-08-2022, 03:07 PM
I keep repeating, it isn’t the energy companies to blame in the main, it’s the massive companies like BP and Shell who extract the gas that are making the money!

I was referring to these Mick as sadly our energy is with Shell themselves who are extractors and end suppliers - cheating c unts!
Two can play games at cheating.,,,,,

kettering_baggie
30-08-2022, 04:29 PM

I wasn’t suggesting that energy firms should be renationalised, mainly because of the enormous cost, just that it should never have happened. I see no reason, though, why the government couldn’t set up a new, publicly owned energy supplier to compete with the private ones. Put the right management in place and with no shareholders to pay out, surely it would be possible to undercut the current lot?

I haven’t had any offers of paddles yet……….

kettering_baggie
30-08-2022, 05:17 PM
We should also be exploiting our reserves of shale gas; I know that it is controversial but in the current crisis situation it is surely in the country’s interest to use this gas for the benefit of all, managed, of course, by a public organisation.

baggiematt
30-08-2022, 05:41 PM
I wasn’t suggesting that energy firms should be renationalised, mainly because of the enormous cost, just that it should never have happened. I see no reason, though, why the government couldn’t set up a new, publicly owned energy supplier to compete with the private ones. Put the right management in place and with no shareholders to pay out, surely it would be possible to undercut the current lot?

I haven’t had any offers of paddles yet……….

It would be interesting to see if part nationalised and part privatised business could work. On the one hand it feels like it could if it behaved like a private firm that made profit, only for the profit to go back in tax payers hands.

On the other hand, if they succeeded in smashing the market, like all businesses should aspire to do, it would lose the perfect competition element and become bad for consumers.