PDA

View Full Version : Mikhail Gorbachev has died

soulman101
30-08-2022, 08:54 PM
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1662470/mikhail-gorbachev-former-soviet-union-president-dies-at-92-cold-war-latest

phild
30-08-2022, 08:56 PM
You are full of good news tonight Lloyd

kettering_baggie
30-08-2022, 09:10 PM
A new Gorbachev is badly needed in Moscow now! Safe to say, I think, that he was a good man.

mickd1961
30-08-2022, 09:32 PM
Just our luck, the wrong Russian leader has died.

We just can’t get any sort of a result these days!

Dubbag
31-08-2022, 07:59 AM
I wonder who will go to the funeral and where?
Seems as he was a most respected politician. I always liked him ever since he actually laughed and smiled a lot.
Most Kremlin leaders rarely did. I think he was a caring man and it showed...sad passing...RIP

Omegstrat6
31-08-2022, 08:45 AM
Gorbachev will certainly be remembered for his efforts to bring Russia into the world of modern global trading and his efforts to both arrest the stagnation of Russian industry and reform the autocratic Communist political system. His policies of perestroika and glasnost were not entirely successful but he was instrumental in bringing the Cold War to an end. To give Mrs Thatcher her due, it was she who recognized that Gorbachev was "someone we could do business with" and she who urged Reagan to meet up with him which led to a closer working relationship between East and West and a reduction in the numbers of nuclear arms. Such a pity that the situation in the country then deteriorated and allowed crooks and ex KGB thugs to gain power.

Dubbag
31-08-2022, 10:48 AM
To give Mrs Thatcher her due, it was she who recognized that Gorbachev was "someone we could do business with" and she who urged Reagan to meet up with him
Fair comment considering what Bush said when he looked Russian President Vladimir Putin in the eye, he saw a soul.

Omegstrat6
31-08-2022, 11:30 AM
I wonder who will go to the funeral and where?
Seems as he was a most respected politician. I always liked him ever since he actually laughed and smiled a lot.
Most Kremlin leaders rarely did. I think he was a caring man and it showed...sad passing...RIP

Don't think Putin will ever allow him a state funeral and with most of the Kremlin's critics locked up its likely there will be far more Western leaders wishing to show their respect than Russian officials. Gorbachev, as you say, came across as a genuinely caring man and one who could also doubtless see the corruption and intent of Putin and the path he was leading Russia down. Putin probably regarded him as a traitor whose actions led to the collapse of the Soviet Union. No love lost I think.