PDA

View Full Version : WBA53 match thread

soulman101
02-09-2022, 12:03 PM
Another night game, nightmare traffic. But a win will cheer us all up COYB

Leicesterbaggie
02-09-2022, 12:04 PM
Sorry '53, but I just cannot see an Albion victory tonight.

phild
02-09-2022, 06:04 PM
Butty, Hickman, Bartley, O'Shea, Townsend, Molumby, Yoko, Jock, Swift, Diangnanagan, Grunt

SUBS - Palmer, Ashworth, Reach, Liverlover, Phillips, Asante, HeeHawNeigh

kettering_baggie
02-09-2022, 06:58 PM
Looking at the team waiting to emerge on to the pitch, Dara O’Shea looks like a character out of Peaky Blinders!

Dubbag
02-09-2022, 07:30 PM
Peno Burnely.

Dubbag
02-09-2022, 07:31 PM
J Rod takes it and scores.

Dubbag
02-09-2022, 07:32 PM
In fairness he didn't celebrate.

boingy
02-09-2022, 07:32 PM
And AGAIN!!!!! The best team and we are losing. Every flippin match.

Bombers right foot
02-09-2022, 07:33 PM
Same old, same old, playing well but f all upfront, how are we supposed to win a game of football, depressing

Dubbag
02-09-2022, 07:33 PM
Same old, same old, playing well but f all upfront, how are we supposed to win a game of football, depressing

Whats more, hard to see where a win is coming from....

calvinboy
02-09-2022, 07:35 PM
We certainly specialize in conceding first.

Dubbag
02-09-2022, 07:36 PM
And AGAIN!!!!! The best team and we are losing. Every flippin match.

That has to be proof that there is systematic problem here at the club.

Dubbag
02-09-2022, 07:47 PM
This is so fckuing frustration....without a goal scorer we just keep making gilt edged chances and missing them.....
Very hard to watch this type of team....chances after chances....how the fcuk did the management allow this to happen?
Bunch of stupid senseless arse holes.

SwedishBaggie
02-09-2022, 07:52 PM
How I hoped not to see Bartley in the starting XI again… 😢

BaggieSingh
02-09-2022, 07:52 PM
Gonna be the story of our season
Play well can’t score draw or lose

boingy
02-09-2022, 07:53 PM
Superb first half, deserved to be winning. Wallace is so dangerous. Great shot kept out off the post by a touch from the keeper.

SwedishBaggie
02-09-2022, 07:55 PM
Dominating but can’t score, and a former player scores vs us… We desperately needed forward reinforcements and got zilch…

FOL

FOG

FOB

mickd1961
02-09-2022, 08:00 PM
How on Earth can you leave yourself do bereft up front.

It’s just plain stupid, negligent, incomprehensible nonsense.

Gourlay has to go, the bloke is a f u c k I n g idiot.

Leicesterbaggie
02-09-2022, 08:02 PM
Surely this can't continue. No matter what we seem to do, that ball won't just go into the net. O'Shea missed a sitter, we've hit the post and bar but yet again no goals. We've been the better side but you don't get anything for that. All we can do is keep going in the same manner and hope that our luck changes.

Dubbag
02-09-2022, 08:06 PM
Surely this can't continue. No matter what we seem to do, that ball won't just go into the net. O'Shea missed a sitter, we've hit the post and bar but yet again no goals. We've been the better side but you don't get anything for that. All we can do is keep going in the same manner and hope that our luck changes.

It will at some point begin to play on their mind.
It needs turning around and Bruce is not the manager to turn it. Managers have gotten sacked for a better record then he has since he got the job. One win in seven and what was the stats from last season.....it's all very poor.

BaggieSingh
02-09-2022, 08:08 PM
Defence is a joke
Imagine these guys under Meggo
We play well look dangerous but always concede

boinggazmic
02-09-2022, 08:09 PM
It will at some point begin to play on their mind.
It needs turning around and Bruce is not the manager to turn it. Managers have gotten sacked for a better record then he has since he got the job. One win in seven and what was the stats from last season.....it's all very poor.

If we lose this it’s 30 pts from 27 games. Think that’s almost bottom 3 form.

Bombers right foot
02-09-2022, 08:12 PM
Get the new signing on, what’s his name? Oh yes I remember Zohore

boingy
02-09-2022, 08:21 PM
Yes bring the division 2 lad on!

Dubbag
02-09-2022, 08:24 PM
If we lose this it’s 30 pts from 27 games. Think that’s almost bottom 3 form.

Thanks.....thats incredible!
He should be sacked and its a mystery why he isn't.
That is a terrible record, I knew it was bad but that is worse then I had thought.

Bombers right foot
02-09-2022, 08:26 PM
Cleary got to be given a run of games, Grant offers nothing
Must be nearly Phillips time

SwedishBaggie
02-09-2022, 08:27 PM
Kompany just subbed their two best players… 😳🤔

Bombers right foot
02-09-2022, 08:39 PM
Asante made two runs, was ignored as we went sideways and backwards 🤬🤬🤬

TipperaryBaggie
02-09-2022, 08:41 PM
Don't worry boys, Phillips and Livermore on now!

SwedishBaggie
02-09-2022, 08:41 PM
Phillips and Livermore on to secure the defeat…

Bombers right foot
02-09-2022, 08:43 PM
Bruce just cannot resist it, laughable

Dubbag
02-09-2022, 08:43 PM
Don't worry boys, Phillips and Livermore on now!

Yeah......Goodnight.

phild
02-09-2022, 08:54 PM
I remember not so long ago that added time was usually 3 mins tops. Now games add +6, +7 and now its plus 8mins for this game.

SwedishBaggie
02-09-2022, 08:59 PM
Get in!!!

COYB!!!

Bombers right foot
02-09-2022, 09:01 PM
We’ll deserved

phild
This long added time does help

boinggazmic
Get in!!!

COYB!!!

ASSSSAAANNNTTTiI

boingy
02-09-2022, 09:05 PM
Thats just what Asante needed. nothing better for a striker to score on your debut.

Leicesterbaggie
02-09-2022, 09:06 PM
In fairness, we deserved that equaliser. It would have been daylight robbery if Burnley had won that game. However, we have got to start to take the chances that we create. Obviously easier said that done!

boingy
02-09-2022, 09:11 PM
In fairness, we deserved that equaliser. It would have been daylight robbery if Burnley had won that game. However, we have got to start to take the chances that we create. Obviously easier said that done!

deserved the equaliser? should have won the game hands down!

Bombers right foot
02-09-2022, 09:16 PM
One thing is for sure after 37 crosses Andy Carroll would have had a bag full, Carroll and Asante would be lethal

mickd1961
02-09-2022, 09:30 PM
Another draw....,,...relegation is a clear and present threat.

Prando
02-09-2022, 10:35 PM
Wonderful atmosphere in the ground post match ! It was as if we had won !!
Decent performance, albeit TGH disappointed and Bartley, after a decent start, deteriorated badly. Excellent timely substitution.
I thought Philips brought some spark when he came on.
Long applause from the players who remained on the pitch for quite a while.

billsbest
02-09-2022, 10:43 PM
Was a great atmosphere! We played well against a decent team. I thought TGH was excellent. Everyone put in a good shift but again individual errors in defence cost a goal and should have cost a second one when their player hit the post. I was actually buzzing at the end as if we had won.

mickd1961
02-09-2022, 11:25 PM
Just watched the highlights.

How on earth does a team at our level get done from a long kick out from the opposition keeper, this is Sunday morning parks football stuff, bloody abysmal from our back four and our keeper far too slow to react.

The second half intercepted back pass was also the height of ineptitude, woeful coaching and terrible player decision making, they cannot score from Row Z so when unsure........kick it the f u c k OUT!!!

DaveP67 is back!
03-09-2022, 07:00 AM

How on earth does a team at our level get done from a long kick out from the opposition keeper, this is Sunday morning parks football stuff, bloody abysmal from our back four and our keeper far too slow to react.

The second half intercepted back pass was also the height of ineptitude, woeful coaching and terrible player decision making, they cannot score from Row Z so when unsure........kick it the f u c k OUT!!!

Thought the lads first touch when he controlled the ball then took it round Button was a piece of pure class, Button did get a knock on the ball but was a fair penalty, actually at the time I thought he would get a straight red!

Dubbag
03-09-2022, 07:29 AM
Glass half full view.
Our play has improved in attack. Our defence is not tight but even without a natural goal scorer, we are at least scoring.
Our mentality seems strong in that we like to give opponents a goal start and at least half a game start too.
We are creating lots of chances per game and sooner or later they'll start going in.
Even with only one win in eight we are still within touching distance of play off places.
On the up side, we are proving stubborn to beat.
And that will prove annoying to others as the season goes on.

Dubbag
03-09-2022, 07:37 AM

The simple thing is no longer justified or accepted in the game.
The back pass was cardinal as it shoul have been aimed to clear the roof of the stadium or at least try and hit a flood light or Prando in the stands.
John Giles always always banged on about football been a simple game to play.
That could have been two nil game over.
Townsend needs that drilled in to his head. We escaped there but won't next time.

baggieal
03-09-2022, 08:10 AM
Wonderful atmosphere in the ground post match ! It was as if we had won !!
Decent performance, albeit TGH disappointed and Bartley, after a decent start, deteriorated badly. Excellent timely substitution.
I thought Philips brought some spark when he came on.
Long applause from the players who remained on the pitch for quite a while.

Thought TGH played well Prando and far better than calamity Furlong! Phillips did bring energy but so wasteful with the ball and to be honest rather Robinson stayed than Phillips!

Needs a 4-4-2 in my view with the new kid along side Grant as Grant not effective as a lone striker! That would most likely mean Molumby sacrificed as he runs a lot but not over effective!

DaveP67 is back!
03-09-2022, 08:32 AM
Thought TGH played well Prando and far better than calamity Furlong! Phillips did bring energy but so wasteful with the ball and to be honest rather Robinson stayed than Phillips!

Needs a 4-4-2 in my view with the new kid along side Grant as Grant not effective as a lone striker! That would most likely mean Molumby sacrificed as he runs a lot but not over effective!

Don’t think we can afford to drop Molumby Al, he is the only central midfielder we have that can do the box to box work. Thought he was immense yesterday.

Dubbag
03-09-2022, 09:25 AM
Don’t think we can afford to drop Molumby Al, he is the only central midfielder we have that can do the box to box work. Thought he was immense yesterday.

He is improving each game. Think he is benefiting from experience of Okay..

WBA123
03-09-2022, 09:43 AM
He is improving each game. Think he is benefiting from experience of Okay..

I thought he played well yesterday.

In fact, I would agree with Bruce that the team that started is probably our best XI right now who are fit.

boingy
03-09-2022, 09:47 AM
Furlongs wife was about to give birth which is why he didn’t play last night. TGH made some mistakes last night but did some good stuff too, Furlong does the same but offers much more as an attacking option. I would play TGH against teams with a good attack and Furlong when the attack is less of a threat so as to have more attacking options.

Leicesterbaggie
03-09-2022, 10:05 AM
I thought he played well yesterday.

In fact, I would agree with Bruce that the team that started is probably our best XI right now who are fit.

It was the team that I selected prior to the game with the exception of Palmer for Button. Mind you, looking at the bench, it wasn't a difficult exercise was it?

baggieal
03-09-2022, 10:14 AM
Furlongs wife was about to give birth which is why he didn’t play last night. TGH made some mistakes last night but did some good stuff too, Furlong does the same but offers much more as an attacking option. I would play TGH against teams with a good attack and Furlong when the attack is less of a threat so as to have more attacking options.

Much prefer TGH to Furlong as many times Furlong has been very poor - Boro away! Don’t like Townsend either to be honest! Bruce should start TGH against Coventry and would play Asante with Grant! We can’t keep missing opportunities due to no recognised striker!

I would rather we are s hite and take a golden opportunity! Draws won’t get us anywhere but wins will. One win in eight is shocking whichever way you dress it up!

WBA123
03-09-2022, 10:15 AM

I’d disagree. Furlong’s final ball is awful, I’ve lost count of the number of crosses he’s over hit or shanked into the stand. TGH is a better attacking option for me

WBA123
03-09-2022, 10:15 AM
It was the team that I selected prior to the game with the exception of Palmer for Button. Mind you, looking at the bench, it wasn't a difficult exercise was it?

This is very true!

Barrera
03-09-2022, 10:53 AM
Thought we played OK last night against a decent team. Great the way the crowd stayed with the team. Problems for me are Townsend - becoming a complete liability with so many mistakes and giving the ball away. Almost cost us last night. And Grant - a non existent threat like playing with 10 men. The rest did Ok - even Livermore and Philips added something when they came on. Swift had a decent game ... so did Wallace. Okay was just his steady self - hopefully will get better with improved fitness. Just have no-one to put the ball in the net .... maybe the new lad Asante-Thomas will show the rest the way ... but it’s a lot to ask.

baggieal
03-09-2022, 10:54 AM
I’d disagree. Furlong’s final ball is awful, I’ve lost count of the number of crosses he’s over hit or shanked into the stand. TGH is a better attacking option for me

Having been to three away games many would agree with you! Furlong far too slow to react and gets caught out time and time again. TGH should be the future!

baggieal
03-09-2022, 10:59 AM
Thought we played OK last night against a decent team. Great the way the crowd stayed with the team. Problems for me are Townsend - becoming a complete liability with so many mistakes and giving the ball away. Almost cost us last night. And Grant - a non existent threat like playing with 10 men. The rest did Ok - even Livermore and Philips added something when they came on. Swift had a decent game ... so did Wallace. Okay was just his steady self - hopefully will get better with improved fitness. Just have no-one to put the ball in the net .... maybe the new lad Asante-Thomas will show the rest the way ... but it’s a lot to ask.

Good summary and you are right! TGH played well and yes Townsend like Furlong is a liability.

Whilst Asante did not see much of the ball - he looks more of a number 9 than Grant - finding good positions - pace and energy. We need a hungry fox in the box who converts more chances than misses and that’s not Grant! That’s been our problem and draws are useless with so many wasted opportunities. I would take an ugly 1-0 with three points!

Dubbag
03-09-2022, 11:43 AM
I am more optimistic with last night's draw then any other draw.....
Something that appears to be lost on us here on this forum is the fact that we are showing great resilience in each game. We are giving the opponents a goal start in every game (bar one) and yet still keep creating.
I shall brush of my negativity and enjoy the ride from here till Christmas.....

WBA1955
03-09-2022, 11:52 AM
Thought the lads first touch when he controlled the ball then took it round Button was a piece of pure class, Button did get a knock on the ball but was a fair penalty, actually at the time I thought he would get a straight red!

I thought it was a red all day long, we got out of jail with that one.

Dubbag
03-09-2022, 11:53 AM
I thought it was a red all day long, we got out of jail with that one.

I think they have changed the rule around red cards haven't they?

Yarmbaggie
03-09-2022, 12:00 PM
Much prefer TGH to Furlong as many times Furlong has been very poor - Boro away! Don’t like Townsend either to be honest! Bruce should start TGH against Coventry and would play Asante with Grant! We can’t keep missing opportunities due to no recognised striker!

I would rather we are s hite and take a golden opportunity! Draws won’t get us anywhere but wins will. One win in eight is shocking whichever way you dress it up!

Agree totally Al. Surely there must have been a better left back available at a decent price.

To be fair to Bruce he did ‘go for it’ towards the end especially when replacing Bartley with Asante. He needs now to be a bit braver from the kick off in my opinion.

I did actually say when Okay signed that maybe he would end up in the back 4 so Bruce could pick Captain Marvel! At the moment I do think Okay would be better than Bartley there but we would lose a lot if we replace Okay with Livermore in midfield.

So little depth in this squad.

saltnshake
03-09-2022, 12:37 PM
Yes if you make a genuine attempt to play the ball and a penalty is given you only get a yellow card.

Dubbag
03-09-2022, 12:41 PM
Yes if you make a genuine attempt to play the ball and a penalty is given you only get a yellow card.

Thank you salt....O:)

Prando
03-09-2022, 12:56 PM

I am a fan of TGH, but thought he had a poor game first half. We sit East lower tier (Smethwick end) and accordingly he was very much in our eye last night first half.
Certainly a talent to be nurtured, and with maturity should lose his occasional petulant streak. On balance I would choose Furlong, who also has his red mist moments.
Robbo vs Philips I would go for the latter.
It’s all about opinions I guess.
(At least we agree re Bartley! He showed some attitude when being subbed !?)

SwedishBaggie
03-09-2022, 01:06 PM

Yes, they have.

baggieal
03-09-2022, 01:13 PM
I am a fan of TGH, but thought he had a poor game first half. We sit East lower tier (Smethwick end) and accordingly he was very much in our eye last night first half.
Certainly a talent to be nurtured, and with maturity should lose his occasional petulant streak. On balance I would choose Furlong, who also has his red mist moments.
Robbo vs Philips I would go for the latter.
It’s all about opinions I guess.
(At least we agree re Bartley! He showed some attitude when being subbed !?)

Good observations Prando and yes Bartley looked angry when subbed. I feel Furlong and Townsend are both poor and if TGH gets a run of games he will be a talent - he’s young and will get better. Personally I would start TGH next game over Furlong now and take it from there!

The worry for me is the continuous issue of missing chances - it won’t change as Grant is not a number 9 and too non existent. Asante looks good and to be honest even without touching the ball - there was pace - energy and good positions ( better than Grant ) in that striker position.

Don’t like Bruce - but credit he changed things but needs to start the best team from the off!