PDA

View Full Version : O/T Capping Energy bills

gru
06-09-2022, 04:25 PM
At £2,500 for next 2 years. Works out at £208 a month. Better than what it said it was going to go up to but it's like a double rise. I'd like to know how you keep bills to that amount how much gas/electric you can use before you pay more?

great_fire
06-09-2022, 04:41 PM
They'll just print more money like they did with Covid.

We'll pay for it in the end, like Weimar Germany, wheelbarrow full of banknotes to pay for a loaf of bread.

gru
06-09-2022, 04:47 PM
At £2,500 for next 2 years. Works out at £208 a month. Better than what it said it was going to go up to but it's like a double rise. I'd like to know how you keep bills to that amount how much gas/electric you can use before you pay more?

or if you use less gas/electric than the amount the cap is set at do you get a reduction on what you pay?

Pattylallacks2
06-09-2022, 04:48 PM
They'll just print more money like they did with Covid.

We'll pay for it in the end, like Weimar Germany, wheelbarrow full of banknotes to pay for a loaf of bread.

Have they got a sale on?

great_fire
06-09-2022, 04:50 PM
It will be a cap on the unit price so if you use more you will still pay more.

gru
06-09-2022, 04:56 PM

How will you know? They ought to tell you based on how much you used last year if you would be paying more.

frogmiller
06-09-2022, 04:58 PM
I’ve built a Norwegian marmite. It’s one of the things I fabricated with my pupils at work. They’re a bit complicated to make but I had all of the material to put one together.

What do you do with it?
You can cook a stew, ratatouille and anything that takes a long time to cook.

How to use.
Thoroughly heat your veg, meat through I your pan or dish. You don’t have to soften the veg because when you place the hot pan/dish with the boiling liquid.

The easiest way to make one (although this is theoretical) is to take a cool box, drill some holes in it and then fill the void with filler foam. You could try it without modifying the cool box but modifying it won’t ruin it it’ll make it more efficient as a cooler.

You’ll find that if you put a pan of boiling water in one you’ll find the water is still hot several hours later.
Put veg or a stew in and it’ll continue to cook free of charge.

If the stews not full cooked then reheat and pop it back in the marmite.

Mine works very well and the less air you have around it the better it works. Putting pieces of polystyrene in a bag and filling the void works brilliantly.

You can find instructions for a Norwegian marmite on the internet.

Pattylallacks2
06-09-2022, 05:03 PM
How will you know? They ought to tell you based on how much you used last year if you would be paying more.

gru, save your wind-ups for football topics.

gru
06-09-2022, 05:08 PM
gru, save your wind-ups for football topics.

No wind-up. In the past I've just got the bill & payed it. Not got a clue about the unit price. Anyone else same?

Grist_To_The_Mill
06-09-2022, 05:23 PM

I should imagine it would be similar to vat

A levy to repay the loan the energy company takes out, so the more energy you use the bigger the levy amount would be

BramleyMiller58
06-09-2022, 06:12 PM
No wind-up. In the past I've just got the bill & payed it. Not got a clue about the unit price. Anyone else same?

Siding with gru on this one.

I'm getting confused with the "cap".
Is that the max you can be charged or the max they can charge per unit of gas/electric ?
If the latter how's it broken down, ie max they can charge per therm on KWh ?

Any budding Martin Lewis' out there ?

crashbang
06-09-2022, 06:16 PM
Some nutters on news. "I only have the heating on occasionally"
Who the fk has the heating on??.

Pattylallacks2
06-09-2022, 06:17 PM
g-f has already explained

crashbang
06-09-2022, 06:19 PM
Siding with gru on this one.

I'm getting confused with the "cap".
Is that the max you can be charged or the max they can charge per unit of gas/electric ?
If the latter how's it broken down, ie max they can charge per therm on KWh ?

Any budding Martin Lewis' out there ?

Just say max was a pound per kw
That is the most you will be charged for every kW you use. Use more units pay more.

Pattylallacks2
06-09-2022, 06:23 PM
Some nutters on news. "I only have the heating on occasionally"
Who the fk has the heating on??.

Must be a flash git

animallittle3
06-09-2022, 06:37 PM
I have to say I'm impressed and thought no government could leave a trail of debt like New Labour did in 2010 ever again .

However the expected measures to subsidise the cost of wholesale energy plus covid takes the Conservative Party to a new stratosphere and we've two more years left before we see a GE .

The only thing left is for the incoming Labour government which is more or less a certainty following the Truss victory is to place the country under the most severest austerity ever seen , offer the wealthy tax breaks and declare war on the EU and the circle is complete .

Alternatively you could impose a windfall tax of course but let's not let common sense override ideology .

Pattylallacks2
06-09-2022, 06:40 PM
Truss said no GE before 2024, so who knows?

Grist_To_The_Mill
06-09-2022, 08:02 PM

Bizarrely in my old man’s world GE is General Electric

animallittle3
06-09-2022, 08:23 PM

Just my opinion and of course the government will try to call an election when they think they have the best chance of winning .

However I believe events will call time on the government and they will have to call an election which they will ultimately lose .

I've no idea what a Labour government will look like mind , the leader hasn't told us yet .

fc_miller
06-09-2022, 09:20 PM
It will be unit price...otherwise you'll have everyone charging their electric cars at one house.

The cap quoted will be based on the average household.

fivetide
06-09-2022, 09:23 PM
I have to say I'm impressed and thought no government could leave a trail of debt like New Labour did in 2010 ever again .

However the expected measures to subsidise the cost of wholesale energy plus covid takes the Conservative Party to a new stratosphere and we've two more years left before we see a GE .

The only thing left is for the incoming Labour government which is more or less a certainty following the Truss victory is to place the country under the most severest austerity ever seen , offer the wealthy tax breaks and declare war on the EU and the circle is complete .

Alternatively you could impose a windfall tax of course but let's not let common sense override ideology .

This. Despite record profits, what is it? 74 billion this year already? It looks like the Truss has decided that the best way to dela wth it, as per industry request is £100 billion at least loan backed by the government. So as it is a loan, there will be a rateof interest. So you will be paying for this cap, just over about 20 years, when it would cost £3.5bn to privatise the industry and enjoy the lower prices the french do.

Also see Boris multi-billion nuclear plant which will solve our energy issues in about 20 years... being built with wads of cash sent to state owned EDF..of France. So you are paying the French bills too.

But it's ok because the rich are going to get a tax cut and we know that rich people always spend it on poor people and not by like... buying up loads of houses and charging massive rents or anything like that. /rant

Stovicmiller
07-09-2022, 09:21 AM

Alternatively you could impose a windfall tax of course but let's not let common sense override ideology . I’m with you in imposing a windfall tax .

great_fire
07-09-2022, 01:29 PM

I think you're wrong about that, the conservatives don't do austerity or small government anymore, it's a vote loser.

Not in the USA either, the Republicans are big government and have been for ages.

animallittle3
07-09-2022, 01:47 PM
I’m with you in imposing a windfall tax .

I'd imagine the government have more or less designed the Labour Party election posters when the 2024 campaign begins .

BP and Shell pocketing £2500 per second in unearned profits .

That you , your kids and their kids are paying for .

Beggars belief .

South Coast Miller
07-09-2022, 04:31 PM
And the pound taking a right battering. Won't be long before it reaches parity with the dollar and the euro. When I was a kid I'm sure it was something like $2.40 to the pound but it was a long time ago so I could be wrong. Can remember 10 French francs to the pound but don't know what that would equate to now. Bring back Jezza! (not really)

animallittle3
07-09-2022, 06:21 PM
And the pound taking a right battering. Won't be long before it reaches parity with the dollar and the euro. When I was a kid I'm sure it was something like $2.40 to the pound but it was a long time ago so I could be wrong. Can remember 10 French francs to the pound but don't know what that would equate to now. Bring back Jezza! (not really)

Even Corbyn would find this ridiculous .

Grist_To_The_Mill
07-09-2022, 07:10 PM
Even Corbyn would find this ridiculous .

Being a millionaire I suspect he’s not too concerned about energy prices.

South Coast Miller
08-09-2022, 10:30 AM
Being a millionaire I suspect he’s not too concerned about energy prices.

Trouble is they're all millionaires. None of them have a clue what it's like to manage on an average (or below) income.