PDA

View Full Version : Clarets v Red Devils - 3rd Round EFL Cup Match Preview.

The Bedlington Terrier
07-11-2022, 09:40 AM
Clarets v Red Devils - 3rd Round EFL Cup Match Preview.
Turf Moor, Burnley, BB10 4BX.
Kick-off – 19.45. Tuesday 8th November 2022.

Two teams will look to progress in the EFL Cup following weekend thumping’s for both sides. Burnley were well beaten 5-2 at Bramhall Lane whilst the visitors to Turf Moor on Tuesday evening suffered an ignominious 4-1 home defeat to Accrington Stanley in the 1st round of the FA Cup.

Crawley Town with interim manager Lewis Young in charge, currently lie in 19th place in League Two and on paper should not present to much in the way of hindrance to Burnley’s progression into the next round of the EFL Cup. Cup matches are however not played on paper and the Clarets’ recent form in any sort of Cup competition leaves much to be desired.

Sean Dyche openly stated his ambitions for Cup progress fell way behind his aspirations for success in the EPL and the results the ex-Burnley manager experienced were dubious to say the least. Cup defeats to teams like Accrington Stanley and Lincoln City should give the visitors from East Sus*** genuine hope of springing what would be a major surprise if they were to defeat the Championship League leaders at Turf Moor on Tuesday night.

Vincent Kompany will need to rest key players for the top of the table clash with the Clarets’ local rivals in what will unquestionably be a Remembrance Sunday white hot Derby clash at Turf Moor against second place Blackburn Rovers. It is not for me to tell the Burnley gaffer what to do but a team lining up something like this should have too much for the Red Devils on Tuesday night: Bailey Peacock Farrell, Lowton, Long, McNally, Taylor, Bastien, Cullen, Johann Berg Gudmundsson, Barnes, Dervisoglu & Costelloe.

One’s to watch: It’s becoming something of a bad habit for me to describe the opposition players most likely to threaten the Clarets defence. The last three games have all seen my “one’s to watch” score goals against Vincent Company’s increasingly vulnerable defence. I hope my bad omen fails to materialise when I mention Crawley’s Ashley Nadesan and James Tilley as the most likely duo to find the Clarets net.

For the Clarets, assuming my suggested line-up fails to do the job, a bench containing leading scorer Jay Rodriguez, Nathan Tella and Josh Brownhill should turn the game on its head for a very strong Burnley squad.

Verdict: Despite their many recent failings in cup competitions it would still be a major surprise if Burnley fail to progress to the next round of the EFL Cup.

Footnote: In spite of some serious head scratching and peering through the record books I discovered Burnley have never played Crawley Town before, so I hope for a 1-0 record for the home team on Tuesday evening. I am fairly certain Ashley Young the elder brother of the Red Devils caretaker manager will be looking with some interest to the final score late on Tuesday night.

sinkov
07-11-2022, 10:13 AM
We've signed that many that I'm still unfamiliar with our squad depth. Could Vinni pick his probable starting eleven for next Sunday now, and start a team against Crawley that does not include any of them. I imagine he could, but I'm not sure. If he can, I suggest he does.

The Bedlington Terrier
07-11-2022, 10:18 AM
We've signed that many that I'm still unfamiliar with our squad depth. Could Vinni pick his probable starting eleven for next Sunday now, and start a team against Crawley that does not include any of them. I imagine he could, but I'm not sure. If he can, I suggest he does.

Bailey Peacock Farrell, Lowton, Long, McNally, Taylor, Bastien, Cullen, Johann Berg Gudmundsson, Barnes, Dervisoglu & Costelloe should do it mon ami.

sinkov
07-11-2022, 10:51 AM
Bailey Peacock Farrell, Lowton, Long, McNally, Taylor, Bastien, Cullen, Johann Berg Gudmundsson, Barnes, Dervisoglu & Costelloe should do it mon ami.

I'm sure Cullen will be starting next Sunday, swop Benson for him and job done. Don't think it'll happen though, he'll rest as many as he can but I would imagine 3/4 at least of next Sunday's starters will be playing.

The Bedlington Terrier
07-11-2022, 11:20 AM
I'm sure Cullen will be starting next Sunday, swop Benson for him and job done. Don't think it'll happen though, he'll rest as many as he can but I would imagine 3/4 at least of next Sunday's starters will be playing.

They all looked pretty knackered to me on Saturday sinkov. I'd play Cullen to get a game in his legs other than that, it's the bench or night off!

kritichris
07-11-2022, 12:33 PM
Verdict: it would still be a major surprise if Burnley fail to progress to the next round of the EFL Cup.

Like Fulham.. this is a red banana skin.

The Bedlington Terrier
07-11-2022, 12:34 PM
Like Fulham.. this is a red banana skin.

The have all been banana skins in the last decade k_c. :blue:

Swissclaret
07-11-2022, 01:14 PM
I don’t know anything about Crawley. If they are a physical side, I hope that we will have some men out there who can give as good as they get.

Surely VK has to have his best 11 fit and rested for Sunday. Whilst I would love to see us have a cup run for a change, nothing is more important than Sunday’s match.

The Bedlington Terrier
07-11-2022, 03:08 PM
I don’t know anything about Crawley. If they are a physical side, I hope that we will have some men out there who can give as good as they get.

Surely VK has to have his best 11 fit and rested for Sunday. Whilst I would love to see us have a cup run for a change, nothing is more important than Sunday’s match.

I was in Blackburn this morning and called in a butty shop, the Wovers fans are creaming their kecks after our thrashing in Sheffield. :mad:

The Bedlington Terrier
09-11-2022, 08:29 AM
I was in Blackburn this morning and called in a butty shop, the Wovers fans are creaming their kecks after our thrashing in Sheffield. :mad:

It was very noticeable just how deep our squad strength is following last night's 3-1 win. VK blooding kids is another one straight out of Pep's playbook.

Bring on the b@stards.

lancaster100
09-11-2022, 05:06 PM
My opinion on last nights game, Firstly I was well impressed with Luke McNally and Egan Reilly they are good players and not very far away from first team. Also Matt Lowton had a good game along with the players continuing from the SU game. Unfortunately, and I know he scored, but Ashley Barnes is totally out of his depth in this style of play he often was in poor positions and went missing in large parts of the game.

The Bedlington Terrier
09-11-2022, 05:48 PM
My opinion on last nights game, Firstly I was well impressed with Luke McNally and Egan Reilly they are good players and not very far away from first team. Also Matt Lowton had a good game along with the players continuing from the SU game. Unfortunately, and I know he scored, but Ashley Barnes is totally out of his depth in this style of play he often was in poor positions and went missing in large parts of the game.

VK is building an impressive squad lancy, I think it's too good for the Championship but not good enough for the EPL. I hope he stays long enough to finish his project. ;D

sinkov
09-11-2022, 09:10 PM
I didn't see the game but the stats said we had 85% possesion. I'm just wondering, was it a double-decker they parked, or did they have have carpenters boarding the goal up ?

lancaster100
10-11-2022, 12:06 PM
VK is building an impressive squad lancy, I think it's too good for the Championship but not good enough for the EPL. I hope he stays long enough to finish his project. ;D

BT dead right I think VK will stay until Man City becomes available not sure about not being good enough for the Prem but if we do get back it is inevitable we will buy some new players. Tell you what I am surprised at that the supporters do not have a song supporting VK I know it is early but we all can see that we play a better brand of football than we have for many a year, lets give VK our backing.

One other thing I wasw very disappointed in the lack of support on Tuesday night, understand it was a low key game etc but the way we play should be attracting more than those that turned up so come on you claret and blue supporters let5s fill the ground on a more regular basis and then we might get some investment into the stadium.

beabeast
10-11-2022, 01:30 PM
I didn't see the game but the stats said we had 85% possesion. I'm just wondering, was it a double-decker they parked, or did they have have carpenters boarding the goal up ?

It was more of a case that we lacked that final end product, a good example would be manuel bensons game, he had an incredible first touch, presented himself in space every time we had the ball, had the beating of his man both to come inside and to bomb down the wing. however there was little end product.

we were able to be in total domination of the game without ever having to get going, a goal from nowhere for them threw a cat amongst the pigeons in an otherwise very comfortable display.

another day this could have been a 5 plus to nil game, but we did the business.

mcnally and egan really did look good whilst not really tested so its hard to draw a direct comparison. mcnally looked very composed with any ariel threat something our normal starting 11 perhaps shows as a weakness so theres an opporunity there potentially.

The Bedlington Terrier
11-11-2022, 06:35 AM
BT dead right I think VK will stay until Man City becomes available not sure about not being good enough for the Prem but if we do get back it is inevitable we will buy some new players. Tell you what I am surprised at that the supporters do not have a song supporting VK I know it is early but we all can see that we play a better brand of football than we have for many a year, lets give VK our backing.

One other thing I wasw very disappointed in the lack of support on Tuesday night, understand it was a low key game etc but the way we play should be attracting more than those that turned up so come on you claret and blue supporters let5s fill the ground on a more regular basis and then we might get some investment into the stadium.

There has been such a glut of games recently Lancy and a lot of our supporters do not have bottomless pockets, I've spent a bloody fortune already this season, but I'm certain the allocation for Old Trafford will be sold out. :D

My six-year-old grandson texted me just 2 minutes ago, "Are we going to Old Trafford grandad?" I told him "Yes, we are, now get your breakfast and get ready for school". ;D

kritichris
13-11-2022, 08:02 PM
After watching an ineffective, clueless Man U rob Fulham i think we can make the last 8.

outwoodclaret
13-11-2022, 08:48 PM
After watching an ineffective, clueless Man U rob Fulham i think we can make the last 8.

Gonna have to watch out for that souped up Gazpacho fella.