PDA

View Full Version : Luton Town Post Match Thoughts

CAMiller
12-11-2022, 05:10 PM
It can't be often that you score a goal in a game and 2 hours later you are still playing! Conspiracy theories continue to circle about the way the referees treat RUFC but surely the statistics don't lie? All in all it's a good but disappointing point to sign off with before the World Cup break where hopefully the players can rest and recuperate in preparation for starting the season again in mid-December.

Thoughts?

CHAPELMILLER
12-11-2022, 05:19 PM
Heartbreaking to concede in the manner we did. My biggest bug bare is we've had 7 booked to their 1. Luton players were commiting similar fouls to the ones our players were carded for and got away with it. The one who did get booked was for handball!
Teams at the bottom picking points up today which makes the result worse than it was.
The world cup break now gives us chance to regroup and refresh. Hopefully the 3 weeks on the training pitch will pay off when we restart against Brizzel on the 10th of December. UTM!

Lolmorgan
12-11-2022, 05:20 PM
Good point but we can’t keep giving the other teams shooting practice,18 shots for Luton,law of averages says one will go in.

Derbymiller
12-11-2022, 05:28 PM
It can't be often that you score a goal in a game and 2 hours later you are still playing! Conspiracy theories continue to circle about the way the referees treat RUFC but surely the statistics don't lie? All in all it's a good but disappointing point to sign off with before the World Cup break where hopefully the players can rest and recuperate in preparation for starting the season again in mid-December.

Thoughts?

We didn't play as well as Tuesday, but what do you expect all these games, but i think it is a good result away to another team that were in the playoffs last season and are a top ten team. The back three were excellent, Barlasar a little off his best, wing-backs did ok and wiles and Ogbene chased and chased. Taking wiles off didn't help because he closes down so well, but we are 16th on 26 points, only three points off the bottom three, but we are showing an ability to fight against any team in this league, remember that we play 12 men nearly every game. 7 bookings at least 3 of them were for nothing, the Washington was plain cheating by their captain, unbelievable. Explain to me how a player makes THREE deliberate hand-balls and is still on the pitch!! Only booked for the 3rd one, the Ref added 7 minutes on, when the trainer game on once in the 2nd half and that was for 2 minutes, the officials have been told to look for any time wasting by Rotherham and add time on every time, we did not time waste today, we slowed down play but you are entitled to do that if the ball is in play.
Need to get some points in December to go into January above the bottom 3 and then hopefully we strengthen and the time on the training pitch during the world cup pays off.

jocksgloves
12-11-2022, 05:29 PM
Very grateful for a point today. They wasted so many chances with their final ball.
Why oh why, did we waste the few free kicks we got on their penalty box? We were awful with them. Will take the point and run.
Has to be said though, we played more passy football than them.

Ronners
12-11-2022, 05:31 PM
I posted this on almost the last thing on the matchday thread so thought I'd put it on here.

As frustrating as it is, if we'd have been offered 2 points from the next 2 games away against the blades and luton, after the Norwich defeat, we'd have snatched their hands off, but we actually got 4 points so in my mind we are 2 points up. UTM

sota
12-11-2022, 05:32 PM
Great point, could’ve been 3. Viktor outstanding yet again. Nice to see Mick Harford get an ovation from their fans at the end.

sawmiller
12-11-2022, 05:34 PM
Very grateful for a point today. They wasted so many chances with their final ball.
Why oh why, did we waste the few free kicks we got on their penalty box? We were awful with them. Will take the point and run.
Has to be said though, we played more passy football than them.

The fact that teams at the lower end have been bagging points recently reinforces my thoughts that at least one side will take the drop with 50 plus points this season - good point though hope we can find a way of regularly closing games out when we have the advantage. Hope we can put more daylight between ourselves and those below us by the time January comes

MillerBill
12-11-2022, 05:36 PM
Heartbreaking to concede in the manner we did. My biggest bug bare is we've had 7 booked to their 1. Luton players were commiting similar fouls to the ones our players were carded for and got away with it. The one who did get booked was for handball!
Teams at the bottom picking points up today which makes the result worse than it was.
The world cup break now gives us chance to regroup and refresh. Hopefully the 3 weeks on the training pitch will pay off when we restart against Brizzel on the 10th of December. UTM!

That was a ridiculous number of players being booked and the later the match goes on the more these players are aware that another means red.This is a massive disadvantage to us and once again seems like the norm for the Millers with the bookings.They should have had as many cards as us.Let's hope Howard Webb in January sorts out this refereeing vendetta against us.

mygiddypant
12-11-2022, 05:43 PM
disappointing and unlucky not to finish with three points. Plenty to be happy with, particularly some passages of passing play that made us look like MC.

Couple of things for MT to look at. Why does Bramall stand with Barlaser at corner kicks? It's good that he's willing, but just tell him to leave it to Dan. Why don't we shoot more often? Can anyone remember the last time we scored with a deflection? (I'm sure someone will).

welovebooth
12-11-2022, 05:44 PM
Lack off squad depth.

Bar 1 or 2 our first team picks itself week in week out so obviously the players coming on aren't as good

Plus if we go ahead 9 tines out 10 the other team turns the screw and steps up a gear.

When teams have better quality than you to start off with

It's a uphill struggle from the start.

Nevermind tiredness injuries etc etc

Ronners
12-11-2022, 05:58 PM
Lack off squad depth.

Bar 1 or 2 our first team picks itself week in week out so obviously the players coming on aren't as good

Plus if we go ahead 9 tines out 10 the other team turns the screw and steps up a gear.

When teams have better quality than you to start off with

It's a uphill struggle from the start.

Nevermind tiredness injuries etc etc

That's a really good point about other teams having better quality than ourselves because money talks.
So as a club that operates within its means under the current chairman, what do you suggest we do? UTM

Nardendee
12-11-2022, 06:02 PM
Good point but yet again an eternity of injury time, this time 9 minutes. Always seem to be one of the last games to finish.
Shame we couldn’t hold on but every point is a good point away from home.
Listening to Three Counties Radio they seemed happy with a point too particularly considering they lost their manager.
I like Luton, not a big club but a very good one nonetheless and down to earth fans.

Four points all gained away from home this week so am very happy with that return.

Time to regroup and go again in 4 weeks. UTM

gru
12-11-2022, 06:15 PM
Will have took alot out of them at Sheff U. Pity we couldn't hang for the win but a point away from home we'll take that. Get to January then see if we can strengthen the side were needed up front definitely.

jakethemiller
12-11-2022, 06:18 PM
Well the lads played well,again we have a stupid amount of extra time, and as others have said every time we committed a foul it was a booking yet they received nothing.
When are we going to get fair officials.
Johansson. 2 wonderful saves.
Peltier, silly booking but generally fine.
Humphreys, had a fine game, unflustered, and skillful.
Harding. Another steady game.
Barlaser. Got caught in possession a couple of times. But still a class act.
Rathbone. Bit more control today and got really involved.
Lindsay. Again in their faces and used the ball well.
Wiles. I like him playing further forward, but he still is giving the ball away too much.
Bramhall. Constantly improving still needs a bit more defensively, but my how fast is he.
Ogbene. Looks dangerous every time he runs at players and scares them stiff.
Kioso. Was doing so well just hope he's not badly injured.
I too think it's a waste of a player having Bramhall and Barlaser over the ball at corners.

Redshank
12-11-2022, 06:18 PM
So frustrating to concede in the last few minutes, but as has been said, 4 points from the last two games is a fantastic return. The overall performance of the side has improved steadily since MT's arrival but there's plenty to work on. I'm prepared to put it down to tiredness and the impending break today, but we gave up possession far too easily. We have to hold onto and use the ball much better when we have it. The last few minutes summed it up perfectly, corner hits the first man and they break... then Dan's late free kick the same thing happened, didn't clear the first defender, they break, we're chasing back, Cuffy commits a foul and picks up the 7th booking. There were at least 2 dubious bookings e.g. Washington... how the hell was that a foul never mind a booking!...but we don't help our cause by giving the ball away too easily then scrambling back and committing fouls.

Anyway, far more positives than negatives today. Viktor mom for me. Two top class saves amongst a steady performance. No coincidence that it took a wicked deflection for them to equalise.

Can't wait to get the World Cup out of the way and get back to proper football
UTM

avondalemiller
12-11-2022, 06:35 PM
This Ref loves to be the star, thats 3 times this season so far. Can we request not to have him anymore?

Great point, but getting pegged back late us cost us relegation a few years ago, hope its a habit that we can break or it too might be repeated.

thought we played ok. Still giving the ball away too easily. We have a free kick and Dan puts a poor ball in and they clear and break. BNC fouls the man and their free kick ends up in our net via a big deflection.........We left 1 of their players alone 22/25yds out more than once.
Need a hold player up field, it comes back too easily.
4pts from 2 away games is a good return, just start winning a few at home and we'll be fine.........................i hope UTM.

gru
12-11-2022, 06:58 PM
Just watched brief highlights their goal Victor had it covered deflection by their player diverted ball away from him. Looked like we were losing ball letting them break away Carlton Morris chance an example. Anyway we've gone into the break feeling positive after 4 pts from 2 away games.

GlennMiller
12-11-2022, 07:25 PM
Anyway we've gone into the break feeling positive after 4 pts from 2 away games.

To put it into perspective, if as expected, we'd achieved no points from the last two away games, we would be in the bottom 3! The last 5 days have been massive for our survival chances.

Despite Luton's domination, they rarely had clear cut chances in the second half and the deflected equaliser was a sickener - so much so that I broke my phone screen protector when I threw it across the room!

Having all our players fit is key to our success so this fantasy world cup break will be invaluable. I'm confident we have the squad and the coaching staff required to survive and, if TS is minded to spend, we might do it comfortably.

Onwards and upwards after a well earned rest.

Jimmy Badfellow
12-11-2022, 07:46 PM
To put it into perspective, if as expected, we'd achieved no points from the last two away games, we would be in the bottom 3! The last 5 days have been massive for our survival chances.

Despite Luton's domination, they rarely had clear cut chances in the second half and the deflected equaliser was a sickener - so much so that I broke my phone screen protector when I threw it across the room!

Having all our players fit is key to our success so this fantasy world cup break will also be invaluable. I'm confident we have the squad and the coaching staff required to survive and, if TS is minded to spend, we might do it comfortably.

Onwards and upwards after a well earned rest.

I totally agree Glenn. MT hasn't had a chance to unpack his suitcase since he took over and even through this time we can all see what he is trying to achieve.This run has been ruthless and the 4 points this week are invaluable. This break will also be invaluable to us.Blackburn and Cardiff aside,the performance levels are in a different league and listening to today's post match interview this is a manager who seems truly confident of what this side can achieve under his,and his staff's,guidance. I think Derby have poached the wrong manager!

Grist_To_The_Mill
12-11-2022, 07:49 PM
A disappointment at the end but in the bigger picture it was a valuable point.

Take advantage of the Farce Cup break and challenge for safety in the Championship part 2

ragingpup
12-11-2022, 08:15 PM
Big thing for me in the last few games is the importance that, when you are struggling to compete with the bigger teams in this league, that you have pace on the break that will always mean they have to be cautios coming at us. I think MT has boxed clever with the 4 man midfield with Wiles going forward as Peter Beardsly, and keeping pace in the wing backs that make us a genuine threat.

Yes, we are always in danger of losing the ball when we are passing it around the front and then suffering on the break, but it is great to see us doing it regardless. Just have to hope it creates more goals than it concedes and keeps us punching in this league. Good start Matt despite a horror schedule and indications are we have chosen well and could be made even stronger. But only time will tell in that.

But hugely appreciate us trying to play good footy when we can. Proud of the lads

avondalemiller
12-11-2022, 09:12 PM
Big thing for me in the last few games is the importance that, when you are struggling to compete with the bigger teams in this league, that you have pace on the break that will always mean they have to be cautios coming at us. I think MT has boxed clever with the 4 man midfield with Wiles going forward as Peter Beardsly, and keeping pace in the wing backs that make us a genuine threat.

Yes, we are always in danger of losing the ball when we are passing it around the front and then suffering on the break, but it is great to see us doing it regardless. Just have to hope it creates more goals than it concedes and keeps us punching in this league. Good start Matt despite a horror schedule and indications are we have chosen well and could be made even stronger. But only time will tell in that.

But hugely appreciate us trying to play good footy when we can. Proud of the lads

Completely agree pup. The last 6 away, Luton, Sheff U, Burnley, Cardiff , Coventry and Stoke have produced 8 pts. Not forgetting the crap ref's we've had to endure in most games, i think we'd have all taken it a few weeks ago. Can we have the same in the next 6? Just have to be a bit more cute in the home game and we're ok........Jan will be interesting, we need help up front. TS should push the boat out to get 1, or maybe 2 decent strikers in on loan and pay them want their clubs want, it's only for 5 months and could keep us up for another £7M championship money next year.

Brin
12-11-2022, 10:04 PM
I'm sure that the 7 bookings we picked up today is an automatic £20,000 fine. Why 7 for us and 1 for them? They say we're crying wolf but ffs
surely someone other than our club can see it IS a vendetta against our players.....book them at all costs that seems to be the word to officials! It is not acceptable, yes i know other Managers will say we're big brutes, dirty, play the dark arts etc....bolox! I know Moyes at West Ham has told the fa he does not want a certain ref??? at their stadium again this season and it's been granted. Can we not stop this posing nob from reffing us again..period!?

The game - more than held our own up to half time and yes it was an open game with their number 11 and Morris causing the problems but our back line was resolute. Our very quick opener was well worked from midfield, the cross was good and Lindsay scored well.

Second half we had to soak up more. We wasted key set pieces and the last one from Barlaser was very poor, it came back out to him and again he wasted it! They break upfield again, work it wide, in and out and the lucky poxy sods score from a deflection. Deflated? we all were as we had seemed to have done enough to win again away from home for the second time within 5 days. Thing is we didn't lose.

As others have said, we now rest, regroup, repair the wounded and look forward to entertaining Bristol City on our next home game in December.

Rant over! :mad:

welovebooth
12-11-2022, 10:55 PM
That's a really good point about other teams having better quality than ourselves because money talks.
So as a club that operates within its means under the current chairman, what do you suggest we do? UTM

We are what we are.

I was just merely giving a reason why we could concede 90 minute plus goals on a recent regular

jakethemiller
12-11-2022, 10:56 PM
Didn't want to say it during the game and a bit reluctant to slag things off, but what a horrible ground that is. I have a soft spot for traditional stadia but i'm glad in a way that everyone stood up. I sat down at half time but soon stood up again as their was no room for my legs and i'm not a tall lad.

great_fire
12-11-2022, 11:11 PM
Didn't want to say it during the game and a bit reluctant to slag things off, but what a horrible ground that is. I have a soft spot for traditional stadia but i'm glad in a way that everyone stood up. I sat down at half time but soon stood up again as their was no room for my legs and i'm not a tall lad.

It's that one where the entrance is in the middle of a row of terraced houses isn't it? Quite unusual.

avondalemiller
13-11-2022, 12:41 AM
It's that one where the entrance is in the middle of a row of terraced houses isn't it? Quite unusual.

Yeah, it is. It's like walking through someones back yard. Horrible away stand to watch football.......utm.

crookadile
13-11-2022, 12:56 AM
Yeah, it is. It's like walking through someones back yard. Horrible away stand to watch football.......utm.

My first time at Luton and more than likely my last. A sh!thole of a ground. The facilities belong in the 1960’s.

Grist_To_The_Mill
13-11-2022, 01:03 AM
My first time at Luton and more than likely my last. A sh!thole of a ground. The facilities belong in the 1960’s.

They want to build a new ground in the town centre

Called Power Court, the covid saga has delayed it

So they aren’t spending any money on improving Kenilworth Road

sota
13-11-2022, 04:40 AM

That explains a lot Grist. I once did a job at the car plant there and stayed in town for a while. Not the greatest place on Earth.

Scum-Triumphant
13-11-2022, 06:15 AM
Very difficult place to go and get anything and Luton played well.
I thought Humphreys was excellent. Calm and composed on the ball and he plays it to feet into midfield rather than hoofing it.

sota
13-11-2022, 06:25 AM
Very difficult place to go and get anything and Luton played well.
I thought Humphreys was excellent. Calm and composed on the ball and he plays it to feet into midfield rather than hoofing it.

Yes.

millertop
13-11-2022, 08:25 AM
Not seen it or heard it but 4 points from these two games is excellent

Enjoy your mini break break lads

Grist_To_The_Mill
13-11-2022, 08:56 AM
That explains a lot Grist. I once did a job at the car plant there and stayed in town for a while. Not the greatest place on Earth.

Yes and the demographics are changing quite quickly there.

millersrus
13-11-2022, 08:58 AM

Luton was always bit of a hole however power court was an oasis in Luton town centre, went there on a training courses back in the 80s, sadly that company bit the dust years ago.

crookadile
13-11-2022, 10:14 AM

They haven’t spent any money on it in the last 60 years by the state of it.
Talking to a Luton fan before the game and he said there has been talks of a new ground for the last 20 years and he isn’t confident it will ever happen.

Stovicmiller
13-11-2022, 01:10 PM
Happy with a point yesterday. Keep our better players and strengthen in jan and we hopefully will be ok .

audimiller
13-11-2022, 03:19 PM
Been a few times now to Luton, cannot believe yesterday’s attendance when you look at ground in comparison to ours

CAMiller
13-11-2022, 04:10 PM
They haven’t spent any money on it in the last 60 years by the state of it.
Talking to a Luton fan before the game and he said there has been talks of a new ground for the last 20 years and he isn’t confident it will ever happen.

Played there a couple of times when they used to rent out the 'plastic' pitch. Awful surface compared to modern day artificial surfaces, just a bald carpet with sharp sand liberally sprinkled on it. Great for rug burns. Needless to say anyone renting the facilities didn't get to use the official changing rooms. Imagine changing and showering in the Tivoli bogs and that would paint an accurate picture of what you got.

Working in MK around 1990 the company I was working for acquired one in Luton who did airport baggage automation systems. In a cost saving exercise they decided to relocate everyone in MK to the Luton office. After visiting the offices in Luton, en-masse every one of 60 people refused to go so the company had to scrap their plans.

sawmiller
13-11-2022, 04:43 PM

for info/interest

https://uniquefootballstadiums.blogspot.com/2015/10/kenilworth-road-luton-england.html

https://footballtripper.com/england/luton-town-stadium/

millertop
14-11-2022, 01:52 PM

We need to see more of Lindsay in championship

Grist_To_The_Mill
14-11-2022, 02:06 PM

Now that taking the knee I can live with

millertop
14-11-2022, 04:41 PM

Fans MOTM too