PDA

View Full Version : Refereeing Developments

GlennMiller
22-11-2022, 08:54 PM
FIFA use competitions such as the World Cup to develop new priorities for Refs which then filter down to our Leagues.

So far, the focus appears to be on shirt holding in the area and time wasting.

I'm particularly pleased about the shirt holding. There's absolutely no need for it and imo it should be ruled out of the game completely. If players understand that they will be penalised for shirt holding, we should have much cleaner competition in the box at corners and free kicks.

As for time wasting; we've recently suffered from enormous injury times - to our cost. I think we need to get used to 10+ minutes and it might be worth putting an extra hour on the parking ticket!

Refs are still struggling with VAR and the 'clear and obvious' error judgement needs to be either applied or disregarded absolutely - but make up your minds which.

Grist_To_The_Mill
22-11-2022, 09:08 PM
FIFA use competitions such as the World Cup to develop new priorities for Refs which then filter down to our Leagues.

So far, the focus appears to be on shirt holding in the area and time wasting.

I'm particularly pleased about the shirt holding. There's absolutely no need for it and imo it should be ruled out of the game completely. If players understand that they will be penalised for shirt holding, we should have much cleaner competition in the box at corners and free kicks.

As for time wasting; we've recently suffered from enormous injury times - to our cost. I think we need to get used to 10+ minutes and it might be worth putting an extra hour on the parking ticket!

Refs are still struggling with VAR and the 'clear and obvious' error judgement needs to be either applied or disregarded absolutely - but make up your minds which.

Agree with that, but can we add a sanction for players that look like they’ve been shot by a sniper when an opposition player gently brushes against them.

crashbang
22-11-2022, 09:21 PM
Can they use a sack barrow to wheel players off to be treated.

CAMiller
22-11-2022, 09:29 PM
Can they use a sack barrow to wheel players off to be treated.

Unless a player is obviously knocked out cold, has a limb hanging off or is suffering a cardiac arrest (and it's not the GK) then play should just go on around them while they are being treated. It would soon make the 'fakers' think twice.

Watched a college game at the weekend here in the US where they are using an 'official' clock where the ref signals when it should be stopped/started and the crowd/viewers can see exactly the time remaining. Game lasted about 2h and 10m.

Pattylallacks2
22-11-2022, 10:56 PM
"Fakers" cannot get away with what they are doing without active encouragement or at least tacit approval from their managers. It is impossible to root out cheating amongst players when we know that some managers are cheats themselves. Leeds United players and Don Revie spring to mind.

avondalemiller
22-11-2022, 11:24 PM
If the "injured" player isn't in the direct play, ie, near/in the box then play on.

Players now go down when they get hit with the ball and the idiot Ref stops the game( another way to cheat), it's a ball, it won't kill you.....a house brick will. Any players been killed by getting hit with a ball................??

All part of today's namby pamby society................

CAMiller
22-11-2022, 11:48 PM
Players now go down when they get hit with the ball and the idiot Ref stops the game( another way to cheat), it's a ball, it won't kill you.....a house brick will. Any players been killed by getting hit with a ball................??

All part of today's namby pamby society................

I was thinking exactly the same thing towards the end of the Poland - Mexico game when a defender got a ball in the face and went down as if he'd been hit by a speeding train. One thing that doesn't help is the stupid handball law where if he'd put his hands up in an 'unnatural' place to protect his face then a penalty would have been given. As a consequence he had his hands behind his back in that stupid 'wingless bird' pose they do these days and got the ball straight in the kisser XD

GlennMiller
23-11-2022, 08:56 AM
One issue I'd like to see addressed is the ridiculous situation when a player is fouled and injured, then receives treatment, then has to leave the field and wait to be called on by the Ref after play restarts. If the injury is a clear result of a foul, why can't the player resume on the field rather thań giving an advantage to the team who committed the foul?

avondalemiller
23-11-2022, 11:41 PM
One issue I'd like to see addressed is the ridiculous situation when a player is fouled and injured, then receives treatment, then has to leave the field and wait to be called on by the Ref after play restarts. If the injury is a clear result of a foul, why can't the player resume on the field rather thań giving an advantage to the team who committed the foul?

Yeah, seems a silly rule. Doesn't really matter what rules the FA bring in the "pros" will always find a way to abuse it and make it "work" in their way.
EG...the Head injury rule...........as a defender, go up for the header and come down holding your head, result, play stopped and play broken up.

millertop
24-11-2022, 08:17 AM
There’s rules just made up by refs on the day if you ask me.

A rule that needs to be fetched in is for the keeper, when he puts the ball down for a goal kick then he shouldn’t be allowed to pick it back up and walk to other side to take it >:):mad:

millertop
24-11-2022, 08:19 AM
Southgate doesn’t seem happy (in his calm way) about officials not being consistent, and worried about briefing video using us as an example

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63721852

Townerslovechild
24-11-2022, 08:50 AM
There’s rules just made up by refs on the day if you ask me.

A rule that needs to be fetched in is for the keeper, when he puts the ball down for a goal kick then he shouldn’t be allowed to pick it back up and walk to other side to take it >:):mad:

Easy to fix,go back to how it used to be, the goalie takes the kick from the side it went out.
Scrap the bloody stupid current offside rule, go back to how it used to be,as soon as the ball is played that's when you're offside, not wait 5 minutes.

Lolmorgan
24-11-2022, 11:11 AM
I wonder how many of these that make the new rules & those that review VAR have ever played football.

Lolmorgan
24-11-2022, 11:12 AM
Easy to fix,go back to how it used to be, the goalie takes the kick from the side it went out.
Scrap the bloody stupid current offside rule, go back to how it used to be,as soon as the ball is played that's when you're offside, not wait 5 minutes.

Yep before somebody gets hurt.

millertop
24-11-2022, 11:47 AM

Agree, some rules are just laughable and I don’t think fans actually know them now

millertop
24-11-2022, 11:49 AM
Yep before somebody gets hurt.

They’ll wait until a serious incident happens then they’ll talk about reviewing it until it happens again

No common sense some people (I prefer to call them thick as **** ;D )

Grist_To_The_Mill
24-11-2022, 01:29 PM
The time between the offside and the free kick being taken, is that added to the extra time?

Or is it still classed as “ in play”?

BramleyMiller58
24-11-2022, 02:02 PM

And/or whoever committed the foul should also leave the pitch for the same length of time

LittleSquirt
24-11-2022, 02:10 PM
They also need to look at what they use VAR for. Canada got a penalty following a corner which should never have been given as the Canada player was the one who kicked it out.

millertop
24-11-2022, 02:50 PM
And/or whoever committed the foul should also leave the pitch for the same length of time

Agree