PDA

View Full Version : Women pundits!

Leicesterbaggie
26-11-2022, 12:56 PM
Do we have to have an all women pundit panel as with ITV's coverage of Saudi Arabia v. Poland? Even my wife, who has no interest in football whatsoever, came into the room and said, 'I didn't realise there was a Women's World Cup as well.' I said 'There isn't!'

mickd1961
26-11-2022, 01:53 PM
They are absolutely useless.

As soon as I hear a woman commentator I turn the volume down and same with punditry, in fact I’ve stopped listening to almost all pundits apart from Roy Keane and Souness.

phild
26-11-2022, 02:05 PM
3 pundits for the Poland Saudi game and they are all woman which is probably a first - its as though they are discussing a womens football match. There is now an ad break break where we are treated to that disgusting tranny TV ad from Virgin airlines. Fancy flying as a passenger and the plane is being piloted by a bloke with a dress on.

mickd1961
26-11-2022, 02:12 PM
The viewing figures would be interesting Phil, along with the drop in numbers the moment the pundits come on.

It reminds me of this from The Fast Show....

https://youtu.be/DE3r_CgScms

Dubbag
26-11-2022, 02:19 PM
Do we have to have an all women pundit panel as with ITV's coverage of Saudi Arabia v. Poland? Even my wife, who has no interest in football whatsoever, came into the room and said, 'I didn't realise there was a Women's World Cup as well.' I said 'There isn't!'

Probably doing it to pyss off the Saudis....O:)

phild
26-11-2022, 02:19 PM
If they did that sketch now Mick it would be a complete reversal.

Calgarybaggy
26-11-2022, 04:38 PM
I dont think being a woman makes you a bad pundit. Being a bad pundit makes you a bad pundit and there are plenty of men who are bad pundits. I will admit that it’s a bit jarring
to hear a woman’s voice when we are so used to it being only men but I try to judge them on how good or bad they actually are. Over here there are more and more women commentating and commenting on sports. Some are actually quite good. Some are ok. Some are dreadful. Some are obviously only there because they look good or because they have played at a high level (or both) but other than that they are hopeless. But that’s just like the male pundits isnt it?

mickd1961
26-11-2022, 05:04 PM
I dont think being a woman makes you a bad pundit. Being a bad pundit makes you a bad pundit and there are plenty of men who are bad pundits. I will admit that it’s a bit jarring
to hear a woman’s voice when we are so used to it being only men but I try to judge them on how good or bad they actually are. Over here there are more and more women commentating and commenting on sports. Some are actually quite good. Some are ok. Some are dreadful. Some are obviously only there because they look good or because they have played at a high level (or both) but other than that they are hopeless. But that’s just like the male pundits isnt it?

I watch a lot of NFL Calgary.

I find the female reporters to be well informed and good in basic knowledge but they don’t try to sound like they know exactly every nuance.

It’s a 100% male dominated commentary which is just what’s required.

Calgarybaggy
26-11-2022, 06:19 PM
But isn’t that what being a good pundit is all about, Mickd? Having decent knowledge but not trying to pretend they know more than they do. Most major sports are obviously going to be male dominated because most of the major sports are primarily played by men for men. But that doesn’t automatically mean women can’t do a good job. For example, in Canada they have started using more women to do both punditry and play-by-play commentary for ice hockey. When they first did it a few years ago there was a collective groan of “why do we need to do this” but now that we are more used to it, its hard to deny that some of them are pretty good. Cassie Campbell, for example, is really good. She’s everything you want in a pundit - she’s played at a high level, knows the game inside out, she knows the league and the players, and sounds good (ie the right amount of urgency and excitement without sounding like she’s trying to say something for the sake of saying anything). I for one don’t mind at all when she is on the broadcast. I cannot say that for all commentators, male or female. There’s good and bad. I dont believe in hiring women for the sake of hiring women, but if they are good enough, they are good enough.

mickd1961
26-11-2022, 07:11 PM
But isn’t that what being a good pundit is all about, Mickd? Having decent knowledge but not trying to pretend they know more than they do. Most major sports are obviously going to be male dominated because most of the major sports are primarily played by men for men. But that doesn’t automatically mean women can’t do a good job. For example, in Canada they have started using more women to do both punditry and play-by-play commentary for ice hockey. When they first did it a few years ago there was a collective groan of “why do we need to do this” but now that we are more used to it, its hard to deny that some of them are pretty good. Cassie Campbell, for example, is really good. She’s everything you want in a pundit - she’s played at a high level, knows the game inside out, she knows the league and the players, and sounds good (ie the right amount of urgency and excitement without sounding like she’s trying to say something for the sake of saying anything). I for one don’t mind at all when she is on the broadcast. I cannot say that for all commentators, male or female. There’s good and bad. I dont believe in hiring women for the sake of hiring women, but if they are good enough, they are good enough.

Ours are not good enough, that’s the point.

The same goes for many of the men, the lack of basic English grammar should be a starting point but too many of them are from the “innit” generation and want to speak like London drug dealer “gangsta” types.

“Innit bro”.

F u c k right off!!😤😤

kettering_baggie
26-11-2022, 07:19 PM
A couple of the female commentators on the BBC are truly awful, Vicky Sparkes and Robyn Cowan, sound as if they’ve been coached by Jonathan Pearce in the ‘art’ of shouting, he’s ******* awful, too! Whoever it is commentating, I don’t need to be told what I’ve just seen; ‘….oh, he’s hit the crossbar’, yes, I know, I just saw it.

kettering_baggie
26-11-2022, 07:22 PM
Another stupid comment by many commentators is when the ball hits a post or the crossbar, ‘….they’ve been saved by the woodwork’! No they haven’t, the goal frame doesn’t move, the shot was off target. Idiots.

mickd1961
26-11-2022, 08:17 PM
Another stupid comment by many commentators is when the ball hits a post or the crossbar, ‘….they’ve been saved by the woodwork’! No they haven’t, the goal frame doesn’t move, the shot was off target. Idiots.

As an ex grammar school boy you really should know the inference of “saved” here Kets.

There’s a difference between your suggestion that the goalposts moved around to make a “save” and the truth of the comment in that the woodwork “saving” the defending team was based on “saving” their hopes.

Don’t mention it, glad to have helped here!

kettering_baggie
26-11-2022, 09:29 PM
As an ex grammar school boy you really should know the inference of “saved” here Kets.

There’s a difference between your suggestion that the goalposts moved around to make a “save” and the truth of the comment in that the woodwork “saving” the defending team was based on “saving” their hopes.

Don’t mention it, glad to have helped here!

On this matter I am correct; actually, I am correct in almost every matter……..!

mickd1961
26-11-2022, 09:50 PM
On this matter I am correct; actually, I am correct in almost every matter……..!

But you’re not, the word “saved” has various meanings and inferences.

The posts and bar are also a part of the “target”.

The ball can go in off the posts or the bar so by definition it’s part of the target area, in fact, sometimes if it’s a very narrow angle the posts are actually an important factor.

I’ve purposely used the inside of a post when I’ve been out through on a narrow angle back in my playing days.

kettering_baggie
26-11-2022, 09:54 PM
Yes, of course going in off the post counts as hitting the target but if you hit the post and it doesn’t go in, you have missed, the post hasn’t denied you. You may as well have hit the corner flag. Regarding the corner flag, if the ball hits that and goes for a throw in, you would say that the flag has saved a corner! Would you?

mickd1961
26-11-2022, 10:12 PM
Yes, of course going in off the post counts as hitting the target but if you hit the post and it doesn’t go in, you have missed, the post hasn’t denied you. You may as well have hit the corner flag. Regarding the corner flag, if the ball hits that and goes for a throw in, you would say that the flag has saved a corner! Would you?

The best terminology is that post, bar or corner flag has “stopped” something happening I guess.

kettering_baggie
26-11-2022, 10:20 PM
I still disagree; the post, crossbar, corner flag or whatever hasn’t stopped anything happening, they are inanimate objects, what ensued after the shot was made was down to direction in which the ball was kicked, unless a defender managed to deflect the ball.

DaveP67 is back!
26-11-2022, 10:38 PM
Nowt wrong with Laura Woods, could listen to her for hours!

mickd1961
26-11-2022, 10:38 PM
I still disagree; the post, crossbar, corner flag or whatever hasn’t stopped anything happening, they are inanimate objects, what ensued after the shot was made was down to direction in which the ball was kicked, unless a defender managed to deflect the ball.

Absolute b o l l o c k s.

Since when couldn’t an inanimate object stop something?

Like a sea wall stopping the water.

A road “stop” sign stops something from happening without physically interjecting.

For an intelligent bloke you don’t half talk some cobblers when you’ve had a sniff of the barmaid’s apron.

I suppose you wouldn’t bother with foundations on your house then, they’re inanimate so the won’t stop it falling down?

kettering_baggie
26-11-2022, 11:34 PM
In this context I am convinced that I am correct…….!

mickd1961
27-11-2022, 12:05 AM
In this context I am convinced that I am correct…….!

Kets, you can’t change defined meanings of the English language to fit what you suits you.

I read the meaning of “saved” and “stop” in the dictionary just to make sure.

Maybe give it a try.

WBA1955
27-11-2022, 09:41 AM

Totally correct Ketts. You can hit the woodwork five times in a game but the stats would show in the shots off target column. Hitting the woodwork from thirty yards looks more impressive than hitting it from three yards but they are both misses.
Jesus hit the woodwork but the woodwork didn't save him.

Dubbag
27-11-2022, 11:33 AM
Jesus hit the woodwork but the woodwork didn't save him.
It wasn't suppose to WBA1955.....O:)

regis80
27-11-2022, 02:45 PM
All this fkin malarkey about women pundits and them speaking in that ‘london street slang language’ where they don’t pronounce a word correctly - if it’s such a problem to you then what about the northerners who pronounce the words such as ‘us’ as ‘uzz’ (just one of many examples) Why dafuq can’t they speak properly? and why doesn’t anyone complain about them. Only one reason. I absolutely despise the northern way of speak.

mickd1961
27-11-2022, 03:00 PM
All this fkin malarkey about women pundits and them speaking in that ‘london street slang language’ where they don’t pronounce a word correctly - if it’s such a problem to you then what about the northerners who pronounce the words such as ‘us’ as ‘uzz’ (just one of many examples) Why dafuq can’t they speak properly? and why doesn’t anyone complain about them. Only one reason. I absolutely despise the northern way of speak.

Good.

westcountryvillain
27-11-2022, 06:25 PM
Nowt wrong with Laura Woods, could listen to her for hours!

Same here, great chemistry with her co-hosts too which makes great listening.

kettering_baggie
27-11-2022, 09:55 PM

Splendid contribution……..!

mickd1961
27-11-2022, 10:04 PM
Splendid contribution……..!

So that’ll stop you moaning about use of the Kings English and the use of “batter” instead of “batsman” in future then I guess Kets.

You’ll also be laying off Clinton Morrison’s contributions as well?

kettering_baggie
27-11-2022, 10:10 PM
No, batter is what fish is cooked in. Some English batsmen, though, bat like fish. A fish could probably construct a sentence better than Clinton Morrison and some of the others; unbelievably, there are several rather worse than poor Clinton.

mickd1961
27-11-2022, 10:33 PM
No, batter is what fish is cooked in. Some English batsmen, though, bat like fish. A fish could probably construct a sentence better than Clinton Morrison and some of the others; unbelievably, there are several rather worse than poor Clinton.

But according to your response to Regis you’re fine with the quality of English used in the journalistic media these days?

kettering_baggie
27-11-2022, 11:31 PM
But according to your response to Regis you’re fine with the quality of English used in the journalistic media these days?

I well know that it is called the lowest form of wit but my response to Regis was infused with an attempt at sarcasm.

mickd1961
28-11-2022, 12:22 AM
I well know that it is called the lowest form of wit but my response to Regis was infused with an attempt at sarcasm.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You did it so well that you fooled me mate 🤣