PDA

View Full Version : 📺National League streaming to begin this month

SwalePie
02-12-2022, 09:55 PM
The National League Board is pleased to be in a position to provide a streaming update following a Board meeting on Wednesday 30 November.

As you are aware, the National League Board recently announced its intention to pursue the implementation of a streaming platform in the second half of the current season.

A huge amount of work has been ongoing behind-the-scenes with the League now in a position to announce a soft launch of the streaming platform on Saturday 10 December with a full launch two weeks later.

The first phase of the launch will see streaming introduced for National Division clubs only while the League works with North and South clubs running pilot events in the second half of the season to ensure logistically it can be delivered for North and South Divisions for the 2023/24 season.

The National League would again like to reiterate its commitment to providing a quality streaming platform that benefits all 72 Member Clubs.

Thanks must go to BT Sport and title sponsors Vanarama for their continued support.

Further updates around pricing and sign-up activity will be announced shortly.

https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/national-league-announces-streaming-platform-launc-73635 (https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/national-league-announces-streaming-platform-launc-73635)

hissingdwarf
02-12-2022, 10:18 PM
Well done Wrexham. Fecked up away support for clubs now just so you can stream to a few fecking US and Canadian fans who “want” to follow Rectum.

SwalePie
02-12-2022, 11:19 PM
Well done Wrexham. Fecked up away support for clubs now just so you can stream to a few fecking US and Canadian fans who “want” to follow Rectum.

Yep. It's all very well sharing the revenue amongst all the clubs while Wrexham's North American fans are interested but if they go up this season that will leave the NL with a right old mess to fix...again.

ThaiPie
03-12-2022, 03:46 AM
Wow, this is massive for us Notts fans based overseas.
I'll wait and see the small print before I get too excited.
On the flip side, I agree with the previous posters that it could be a negative move, if it affects attendances, or the atmosphere at games generated by away fans.

queenslandpie
03-12-2022, 04:48 AM

Or australian based fans who want to follow notts and will pay :)

cypruspie
03-12-2022, 05:02 AM
Or australian based fans who want to follow notts and will pay :)

Seconded here in Cyprus

nw6pie
03-12-2022, 07:48 AM
Wow, this is massive for us Notts fans based overseas.
I'll wait and see the small print before I get too excited.
On the flip side, I agree with the previous posters that it could be a negative move, if it affects attendances, or the atmosphere at games generated by away fans.

If they only make it available to overseas fans, I'll be very happy - but for most clubs at this level we'd be talking tens of subscribers rather than thousands or even hundreds.

Still, when they do introduce it, I'd like to think Wrexham will stick around in this division for many more seasons to show their support for it.

OP67
03-12-2022, 09:49 AM
A lot of clubs need away supporters through the gates to help stay aflout!! Unless the payments are enough to replace this it can only be a bad thing.

As said if Rectum get promoted then they'll have the battle again but with the much bigger EFL which they'll lose. Plus yanks are only interested in winners and will soon stop watching them fighting at the bottom of League 2.

crazyfists
03-12-2022, 11:04 AM
The effect on away followings could be really bad for the smaller clubs. Most of the big attendances we have will still want to come here but they might not want to go to the smaller grounds alot of them if they can just watch online. They should just limit it to overseas supporters which would be good for foreign pies and let's face it the people who Wrexham wanted it to benefit all along.

irishpete
03-12-2022, 11:05 AM
Great for overseas fans, But they don't class Ireland on these sort of things as overseas, yet a completely different Country, if that was the route they are taking. If it's for all to view anywhere, then charge the price of the club that is at home their "normal" match day ticket.
I will gladly pay it to see Notts more regularly. You could get more away fans that didn't bother going due to weather buying to watch on line so clubs may not lose out much

OP67
03-12-2022, 11:19 AM
Lets hope the money isn't distributed by the same people that handles the Covid money eh.

upthemaggies
03-12-2022, 12:50 PM
Inevitable this would happen due to technological progress, but it could result in unforeseen consequences which may not become apparent until the general attendance boom goes into reverse. I'm surprised we aren't yet seeing the Cost of Living crisis having an effect on bums on seats.

SwalePie
04-12-2022, 11:39 AM
The intended distribution of streaming revenues explained by Ollie Bayliss...

https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/status/1599304866740207617?s=20&t=Bgbr3i_fTKzxpU_RNSqdhg (https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/status/1599304866740207617?s=20&t=Bgbr3i_fTKzxpU_RNSqdhg)

His interview with Mark Ives in which it is discussed in more detail, including the rollout plans (among other things)...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0dllrcn (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0dllrcn)

queenslandpie
07-12-2022, 02:48 AM
The intended distribution of streaming revenues explained by Ollie Bayliss...

https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/status/1599304866740207617?s=20&t=Bgbr3i_fTKzxpU_RNSqdhg (https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/status/1599304866740207617?s=20&t=Bgbr3i_fTKzxpU_RNSqdhg)

His interview with Mark Ives in which it is discussed in more detail, including the rollout plans (among other things)...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0dllrcn (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0dllrcn)

Only 60% goes to Notts and that is based on the assumption that a Notts fan signing up has all the correct trackings in place. Affiliate links are notioriously sketchy. 15% to the NL for reinvestment in what exactly? Do 15% of gate receipts get given to the NL for reinvestment now? From a purely Notts perspective 25% to other clubs screws us over. The sooner we are out of this league the better. More questions than answers.

Magpies1959
07-12-2022, 10:26 AM
I do wonder how many of the 'thousands' of plastic Wrexham Disney fans in the USA will actually be bothered about streaming games. There is a big difference between following a documentary series, which can be edited favourably to look quite interesting, and watching fifth tier non league football. A far cry from the MLS or World Cup they watch or have watched.
I think it would be good if there was a way round the black out period, for genuine supporters of clubs, who cannot attend matches on health grounds. This would bring in more revenue for clubs, and enable these type of fans to become closer to the club they would once have watched on a regular basis.

Carlton_Pie
07-12-2022, 12:10 PM
Will Notts game Saturday be available to stream?

kill_the_drum
07-12-2022, 12:11 PM
I do wonder how many of the 'thousands' of plastic Wrexham Disney fans in the USA will actually be bothered about streaming games. There is a big difference between following a documentary series, which can be edited favourably to look quite interesting, and watching fifth tier non league football. A far cry from the MLS or World Cup they watch or have watched.
I think it would be good if there was a way round the black out period, for genuine supporters of clubs, who cannot attend matches on health grounds. This would bring in more revenue for clubs, and enable these type of fans to become closer to the club they would once have watched on a regular basis.

Agreed.
I’m a lover of football but outside of watching Notts, I wouldn’t sit and watch any game of football from league 1 and lower.
I think Wrexham might have a brief surge of interest but then the majority of ‘fans’ will realise it’s actually pretty dire unless you have a genuine passion for the club.
I don’t make away games anymore so for me personally it’s a good thing. If Notts were on tv at ML, I would still attend. I hope that’s the same for our passionate away support.

Carlton_Pie
07-12-2022, 12:29 PM
Agreed.
I’m a lover of football but outside of watching Notts, I wouldn’t sit and watch any game of football from league 1 and lower.
I think Wrexham might have a brief surge of interest but then the majority of ‘fans’ will realise it’s actually pretty dire unless you have a genuine passion for the club.
I don’t make away games anymore so for me personally it’s a good thing. If Notts were on tv at ML, I would still attend. I hope that’s the same for our passionate away support.

I may purchase the odd game not involving Notts if the result impacted Notts, Wrexham v Chesterfield for example but that's it.

Bushwacka
07-12-2022, 01:18 PM
Will Notts game Saturday be available to stream?
I was wondering that. They're leaving it a bit late if it is.....

SwalePie
08-12-2022, 04:30 PM
The service is apparently now live...

https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/national-league-tv-is-launched-stream-games-now-73711 (https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/national-league-tv-is-launched-stream-games-now-73711)

Elite_Pie
08-12-2022, 04:41 PM
The service is apparently now live...

https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/national-league-tv-is-launched-stream-games-now-73711 (https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/national-league-tv-is-launched-stream-games-now-73711)

Just trying to make sense of this. It seems you can buy a match day pass for £4.75, but I'm not sure if all games are being streamed or just selected ones. I don't want to buy the pass if Notts aren't available.

ncfcog
08-12-2022, 04:55 PM
I think it's a trial of the 'Division' matches which as I understand it is NLN+S not the National League?

1955pie
08-12-2022, 05:00 PM
I think it's a trial of the 'Division' matches which as I understand it is NLN+S not the National League?

The header at the top of the page shows Boreham Wood v Southend which is this weekend

1955pie
08-12-2022, 05:03 PM
I'd be careful about signing up yet though in case the match gets cancelled.

salmagundi
08-12-2022, 05:08 PM
Just registered with no problems. Nott's game is shown as one being streamed. No indication how to buy a day pass. Won't be getting one untill I am sure the game is on.

1955pie
08-12-2022, 06:10 PM
Don't know the importance of this but the official Wrexham website says
"To sign-up, ensure you follow the link below from the Wrexham AFC website, rather than visiting directly, and nominate Wrexham AFC as your Club when registering your details."
Nothing similar on the Notts site about going through the official site - in fact nothing at all (as of 18:10)

salmagundi
08-12-2022, 06:15 PM
Part of the registration process asks which team you support, which you select from a drop-down list

ncfcog
08-12-2022, 06:27 PM
The header at the top of the page shows Boreham Wood v Southend which is this weekend

Ah ok, hadn't seen that was talking about the original press release. Thanks for the heads up :)

CamPie
08-12-2022, 06:33 PM
Ah ok, hadn't seen that was talking about the original press release. Thanks for the heads up :)

The original press release said National level games are shown, N & S will follow next season when they’ve worked with clubs on infrastructure.

I am very confused though about the “blackout” times. Maidenhead v Notts is 3pm Sat, so surely is still under a blackout, therefore will not be available to anyone unless overseas. Do others understand it as that? Midweek games and games on other days should be available unless BT are showing them (I think).

Glad2BeAPie
08-12-2022, 06:56 PM
My view is that it's a big mistake, but time will tell

Glad2BeAPie
08-12-2022, 07:05 PM
Great for overseas fans, But they don't class Ireland on these sort of things as overseas, yet a completely different Country, if that was the route they are taking. If it's for all to view anywhere, then charge the price of the club that is at home their "normal" match day ticket.
I will gladly pay it to see Notts more regularly. You could get more away fans that didn't bother going due to weather buying to watch on line so clubs may not lose out much
The money goes to the National League, then shared out I've been told

SwalePie
08-12-2022, 07:15 PM
Don't know the importance of this but the official Wrexham website says
"To sign-up, ensure you follow the link below from the Wrexham AFC website, rather than visiting directly, and nominate Wrexham AFC as your Club when registering your details."
Nothing similar on the Notts site about going through the official site - in fact nothing at all (as of 18:10)

Is it just me or does anyone else think this (my bold type) smacks of some secret side deal for Wrexham? Maybe I'm just cynical about anything the NL does regarding finances but this was pushed for by Wrexham in the first place, so there's that...

1955pie
08-12-2022, 07:21 PM
My view is that it's a big mistake, but time will tell
I agree but we are where we are.

As CamPie says what about the "blackout"?
I think the club should put an idiots guide up so I can understand.
The Wrexham site says that their match on Saturday will be broadcast but their FA Trophy match next Saturday will be for International broadcast only.
Who knows?

CamPie
08-12-2022, 07:22 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else think this (my bold type) smacks of some secret side deal for Wrexham? Maybe I'm just cynical about anything the NL does regarding finances but this was pushed for by Wrexham in the first place, so there's that...

It’s probably so they can track via cookies which Wrexham fans / devices have registered and that would help in marketing. Going through the NL site wouldn’t give them that. Just a guess - any cookie / marketing experts out there?

salmagundi
08-12-2022, 07:25 PM
Could be a real revenue loss for the smaller clubs. Assuming £20 entry fee and the same to stream a game. If Nott's were to normally take 750 fans to an away game this would generate £15000 for the home club, plus sales of food and beverages. If the game was to be streamed perhaps only 250 fans decide to travel the other 500 stream the match. The home sides gate receipts are reduced to £5000. The streaming money comes to £10000 of which Nott's get £6000 plus a small amount of the shared pot. The home side only get a few hundred out of the shared pot. Since Nott's generally only get a small number of away fans, it would not affect the home income much if some of those fans didn't travel. So it could actually be a financial win for Nott's.

Elite_Pie
08-12-2022, 07:28 PM
I am very confused though about the “blackout” times. Maidenhead v Notts is 3pm Sat, so surely is still under a blackout, therefore will not be available to anyone unless overseas. Do others understand it as that?

That was my problem. All I wanted was a list of games that could be streamed and by who, but the NL website doesn't give that clarity. I saw it that you had to buy the pass before you can see what you've actually bought!

Elite_Pie
08-12-2022, 07:37 PM
Could be a real revenue loss for the smaller clubs. Assuming £20 entry fee and the same to stream a game. If Nott's were to normally take 750 fans to an away game this would generate £15000 for the home club, plus sales of food and beverages. If the game was to be streamed perhaps only 250 fans decide to travel the other 500 stream the match. The home sides gate receipts are reduced to £5000. The streaming money comes to £10000 of which Nott's get £6000 plus a small amount of the shared pot. The home side only get a few hundred out of the shared pot. Since Nott's generally only get a small number of away fans, it would not affect the home income much if some of those fans didn't travel. So it could actually be a financial win for Nott's.

The other scenario is that if these games are streamed live to anyone who pays, it could hurt us a lot. Consider this, if four mates go down the Lane and have a couple of pre-match pints they would be paying £25 - 30 each, more if you include transport. If they all go to someone's house and watch the live stream and get their beers from the supermarket it would probably cost £5 - 7.50 each. I hate the thought of 8,000 Notts fans watching the game but only half of them inside the ground.

CamPie
08-12-2022, 07:49 PM
The other scenario is that if these games are streamed live to anyone who pays, it could hurt us a lot. Consider this, if four mates go down the Lane and have a couple of pre-match pints they would be paying £25 - 30 each, more if you include transport. If they all go to someone's house and watch the live stream and get their beers from the supermarket it would probably cost £5 - 7.50 each. I hate the thought of 8,000 Notts fans watching the game but only half of them inside the ground.

This is why I think during the blackout Sat afternoon the games will only be available to overseas fans. I am sure I had read something on that before but cannot find it now and theNL site gives v little clarity. Maybe I’ll ask Notts by email tomorrow.

salmagundi
08-12-2022, 07:50 PM
I don't really see many Notts fans who live locally deciding to stream the game rather than going to see the game live. Perhaps some who live some distance away might decide to stream it instead. But it also likely that these fans might stream more games than they would travel to meaning more revenue for Notts.

SwalePie
08-12-2022, 08:08 PM
That was my problem. All I wanted was a list of games that could be streamed and by who, but the NL website doesn't give that clarity. I saw it that you had to buy the pass before you can see what you've actually bought!

Agreed, it really isn't clear and I don't trust the NL as far as I could throw them.

salmagundi
08-12-2022, 08:24 PM
It's all a bit of a moot point as looking at the weather forecast I can't see many if any of the NL being played

CamPie
08-12-2022, 08:51 PM
I understand from reading another message board (Redpassion) that article 48 (blackout on Sat between 2:45 and 5:15) is suspended during the World Cup. So anyone can watch this weekends games. This is why BT could show York v Wrexham at 3pm last week, and so glad they did as I got to see the Wrexham “winner” on 90 mins followed by the York equaliser in injury time. XD

hissingdwarf
08-12-2022, 09:55 PM
Done a bit of digging around this.
Next two weeks is the trial run (whilst the WC is still on) which enables them to stream all National league step one (us) matches, regardless of start time.
Boxing Day sees the launch of the full ‘normal’ service. By that time the 3pm blackout is back in play and UK viewers will not be able to watch live matches at 3pm. Only overseas subscribers will be able to view.

Next season step 2 and 3 will be included in the deal.

Seems the league are running the platform rather than the clubs so that means you’re signing up once to the service (remember after the next fortnight is done 3pm games for uk are blacked out) you view it from them. Means you can switch between any game they’re showing.

Hopefully means the service will be working fine this weekend for the away game and all that pay should…it’s a trial so expect bugs, co ck up galore etc…work.

legs77
08-12-2022, 10:37 PM
As the vast majority of NL supporters are in the UK I dont see how this is a success ?

I cant imagine many fans overseas logging in for it in reality.

Wrexham have the USA link but people in the States are more likely to watch premier league or Germany footy at 3pm Saturday.

It was fine when footy was BCD in Covid but it seems a bit pointless to me if what I have read is correct

uysapie
08-12-2022, 11:35 PM
As the vast majority of NL supoorters are in the UK I dont see how this is a success ?

I cant imagine many fans overseas logging in for it in reality.

Wrexham have the USA link but people in the States are more likely to watch premier league or Germany footy at 3pm Saturday.

It was fine when footy was BCD in Covid but it seems abit pointless to me if what I have read is correct

Seems to me the only matches available to UK will be midweek matches.

Carlton_Pie
09-12-2022, 07:53 AM
Seems to me the only matches available to UK will be midweek matches.

I'm sure the computer savvy amongst us could find a work around the 3pm blackout in the UK

caj85
09-12-2022, 09:32 AM
I think it should be down to the home club if they want the games streamed or not. This gives them a bit more control over whether they think it would have a detrimental effect on their finances or not and whether it'd be worth while putting the stream on.

CamPie
09-12-2022, 10:10 AM
All the details on the official site now:

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2022/december/national-league-tv-081222/

WarsopPie
09-12-2022, 11:07 AM
Anyone know where to find it yet on iptv?

BigFatPie
09-12-2022, 11:48 AM
It stings a bit that the league have capitulated to Deadpool, but I like the idea of being able to watch tomorrow’s game and it’s good that the 3pm blackout will resume when the World Cup is over. The good thing is I can’t see it affecting the away followings that say Gateshead and Barnet will bring because it would only have been the diehards anyway. Oldham will be interesting though.

Bushwacka
09-12-2022, 01:05 PM
It's all a bit of a moot point as looking at the weather forecast I can't see many if any of the NL being played
Yep and I imagine that, as you're paying for a league streaming pass, you won't get a refund if individual matches are postponed. I'll be waiting until lunchtime tomorrow to purchase.

Glad2BeAPie
09-12-2022, 01:08 PM
Yep and I imagine that, as you're paying for a league streaming pass, you won't get a refund if individual matches are postponed. I'll be waiting until lunchtime tomorrow to purchase.
I'm waiting Till 2.30,

upthemaggies
09-12-2022, 01:42 PM
Four EFL games called off already due to frozen pitches.

BBC also have two NL fixtures listed as off but have made a habit of mistakenly claiming games have been called off at our level when they haven't

All games off so far are in the North.

CamPie
09-12-2022, 02:08 PM
Four EFL games called off already due to frozen pitches.

BBC also have two NL fixtures listed as off but have made a habit of mistakenly claiming games have been called off at our level when they haven't

All games off so far are in the North.

Dagenham game is off because they were in cup replay on Thursday - so that’s genuine. Notts update on dialogue with Maidenhead here:

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2022/december/maidenhead-pitch-updates-091222/

Notts78
10-12-2022, 08:08 AM
Dagenham game is off because they were in cup replay on Thursday - so that’s genuine. Notts update on dialogue with Maidenhead here:

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2022/december/maidenhead-pitch-updates-091222/

Looking at the forecast down there if the pitch is frozen, it won’t thaw out with temperatures remaining below freezing for much of the morning. The other issue is if the covers have worked they have to come off at some point and then the pitch is exposed to what is a damn cold day.
Not optimistic about this game being on.

Magpies1959
10-12-2022, 10:00 AM
The game goes ahead as it stands

ThaiPie
10-12-2022, 01:00 PM
The National League website has declined both my credit card and debit card? My streaming experience finished before it started.:s

magpie_mania
10-12-2022, 01:29 PM
The National League website has declined both my credit card and debit card? My streaming experience finished before it started.:s

No problem for me - so far so good.

Seemed much easier than during lockdown when you had to do it through the clubs.

Proof will be at 3.00

CamPie
10-12-2022, 02:33 PM
No problem for me - so far so good.

Seemed much easier than during lockdown when you had to do it through the clubs.

Proof will be at 3.00

No prob for me either, anyone know what time broadcast starts? Couldn’t see it on the obvious info and can’t be arsed to look through the small print.

CamPie
10-12-2022, 02:40 PM
No prob for me either, anyone know what time broadcast starts? Couldn’t see it on the obvious info and can’t be arsed to look through the small print.

It’s now on.

meoldlaner
10-12-2022, 02:56 PM
Does anyone know how I can log in for the match?
When I registered it didn't ask me for a password yet it requires a password to log in!

hissingdwarf
10-12-2022, 03:00 PM
Anyone else got volume?

CamPie
10-12-2022, 03:00 PM
Does anyone know how I can log in for the match?
When I registered it didn't ask me for a password yet it requires a password to log in!

I think you get an email that lets you set password - confused me too when I registered yesterday.

CamPie
10-12-2022, 03:03 PM
No commentary on stream so still got it on BBC sounds

hissingdwarf
10-12-2022, 03:04 PM
The glare from the sun is going to make it difficult to see our first ten goals before half time!

meoldlaner
10-12-2022, 03:12 PM
I think you get an email that lets you set password - confused me too when I registered yesterday.

Thanks sorted it but missed the goal!

TheBlackHorse
10-12-2022, 03:13 PM
...Radio Red hopelessly ahead of screen stream by some 20 seconds ... so we knew Notts had already scored ... !!!

CamPie
10-12-2022, 03:16 PM
...Radio Red hopelessly ahead of screen stream by some 20 seconds ... so we knew Notts had already scored ... !!!

They are in sync just about for me.

hissingdwarf
10-12-2022, 03:16 PM

This is the biggest issue. Unless all the clubs can sort out the commentary, it’s a strange experience to celebrate from the radio and then wait 30 seconds to watch it.

Wonder if all the other clubs have it working correctly or whether it’s just Maidenhead struggling.
I’m betting Rectum have it working well or Hollywood will be kicking off!

CamPie
10-12-2022, 03:17 PM
They are in sync just about for me.

Commentary now on stream

hissingdwarf
10-12-2022, 03:19 PM
Commentary now on stream

:heart:

OchPie
10-12-2022, 03:21 PM
I could have sworn it originally said international streaming was going to be free until Boxing Day, missed the goal faffing around to buy the pass. Oh well - good now the commentary is on though!

meoldlaner
10-12-2022, 03:33 PM
We just invited them to score. We have to be tighter

TSANHO
10-12-2022, 03:54 PM
Some great football in that half. Kept the ball well but moved it quickly as well. Always options available and three really good goals. Not giving the opposition a second on the ball and aggressive without possession. As good as I’ve seen this season I reckon.

Elite_Pie
10-12-2022, 09:23 PM
I'm not really a fan of watching streamed games, but gave this one a try. It was probably as basic a service as we will get, but once the glare from the sun disappeared and the Radio Nottingham commentary was live it wasn't bad. Macca has his shooting boots back on after his recent 'drought', typical poacher finish for his first and a touch of genuine class for his second. Also, his presence for Castro's goal shouldn't be underestimated, he took the attention of two defenders and their goalkeeper.

irishpete
11-12-2022, 06:00 AM
Thought the streaming was good. Only saw 2nd half, but for fans who can't get or live away it's great, especially with the season we are having

keldsyke
26-12-2022, 03:28 PM
Anyone know where to find it yet on iptv?

It’s on there and working under EFL / Iplayer