PDA

View Full Version : O/T Wrays butchers closed.

millersrus
06-12-2022, 12:25 AM
Just found out it closed permanently. Will be missed greatly by me but more so the dogs, The ham hocks at £2.75 were fantastic value.

millertop
06-12-2022, 08:24 AM
Yes everything and everyone is struggling

I try and use local but ours a lately has been crap so onto next village

Lolmorgan
06-12-2022, 09:58 AM
Before I left school I wanted to be a master butcher, I work at a butchers Saturday mornings while still at school.When I left I was offered a job at Wrays butchers in town.I left after two weeks it’s not a high class butchers & never will be.I got a job at Dysons in parkgate a master butcher & learned my trade.Never ever shopped at Wrays awful butchers.I will give you one good tip for Christmas,if you buy a Turkey or chicken for Christmas ask your butchers to dip it in the brine pot it keeps it moist & tasty.

Ericsladkilnhurst
06-12-2022, 11:36 AM
We were in Rotherham last week, having not been for some time shopping, we used Wrays for stew
meat & rump steak, always found good value, & meat good.
But we use Meat Mart at Hellaby & Barnsley, get full loin of pork & a big piece of beef, then cut joints
up, plus bacon etc.
Rotherham really run down, called in the Angel pub, looked at the mess which is the Rhino's pub,
plus shops boarded up.

Lolmorgan
06-12-2022, 05:24 PM
I buy all my meat straight from the farm no middle man.

avondalemiller
06-12-2022, 05:57 PM
Yes everything and everyone is struggling

I try and use local but ours a lately has been crap so onto next village

Yes, dire times but not what we think............

Change of establishments between March 2020 and March 2022,
Tattoo and piercing studios...................up 8.2%
Fast food and takeaways.......................up 7.2%
Hair and Beauty services....................... up5.9%
Cafes............................................. ...... up5.7%
Pubs and Bars.......................................up 1.6%

Public Toilets.....................................down 2.3%
Banks............................................. .down 8.1%
Cloth Shops.......................................down 8.5%
Nightclubs........................................ .down 9.4%
Department Stores..............................down 13.4%
Northampton town has lost 26 shop and got 23 new eating and drinking places...............
Decisions what to buy first............

Data from BBC............

Ericsladkilnhurst
09-03-2023, 09:39 AM
Wray's butchers premises went for £180k at auction, after a guide price of £175k

jakethemiller
09-03-2023, 10:04 AM
Wray's butchers premises went for £180k at auction, after a guide price of £175k
ELK do you know who bought it? Or should I say what they are going to use it for?

NYSRich
09-03-2023, 10:06 AM
Andrews is my go-to.

jakethemiller
09-03-2023, 10:07 AM
Andrews is my go-to.

Me too, Cracking Pork Pies

Ericsladkilnhurst
09-03-2023, 10:12 AM

ELK do you know who bought it? Or should I say what they are going to use it for?

Not disclosed who bought it, or what the premises will be used for.

crashbang
09-03-2023, 12:05 PM
Andrews is my go-to.

Cusworth on Tanyard is good.

Brin
09-03-2023, 12:39 PM
Cusworth on Tanyard is good.

Nice meat but too expensive.

Use to have a butchers in Brinsworth since the 70's. It changed hands quite a few times but closed about 3 years ago. Decent enough meat and other produce tetc but when you bang a Morrisons in Catcliffe then your business is doomed.

Get all my meat now form Underwoods on Greasbrough Road. I use to get the odd things from Aldi at Parkgate but their prices have gone up so much, Underwoods is now on a par with them on many meat products and it's a far better quality.

NYSRich
09-03-2023, 12:42 PM
Nice meat but too expensive.

Use to have a butchers in Brinsworth since the 70's. It changed hands quite a few times but closed about 3 years ago. Decent enough meat and other produce tetc but when you bang a Morrisons in Catcliffe then your business is doomed.

Get all my meat now form Underwoods on Greasbrough Road. I use to get the odd things from Aldi at Parkgate but their prices have gone up so much, Underwoods is now on a par with them on many meat products and it's a far better quality.

I remember TJ Wibbleys! Great name.

Brin
09-03-2023, 12:44 PM
I remember TJ Wibbleys! Great name.

Yes Terry Wibbley. Sadly passed away about two maybe three years ago.

Lolmorgan
09-03-2023, 02:54 PM
They used to 10 butchers in Parkgate-Rawmarsh Now not a one.Too many takeaways & not enough GOOD snap.

South Coast Miller
09-03-2023, 07:20 PM
I seem to remember Trevor Swift (or family) having a butcher's stall on the market or is my long term memory going as well?

CAMiller
09-03-2023, 07:52 PM
I seem to remember Trevor Swift (or family) having a butcher's stall on the market or is my long term memory going as well?

If it is then mine's going along with yours because I seem to remember seeing him working there.

BramleyMiller58
09-03-2023, 08:34 PM

Top RH corner on upper floor next to Outdoor market exit/entrance

Townerslovechild
10-03-2023, 09:17 AM
I'm proud to be from Rotherham, even with the recent scandals, but the town centre is dire.
I've lived in Barnsley for almost 9 years, if want to know what a town centre should be like, come to Barnsley for the day.

crookadile
10-03-2023, 09:23 AM
I'm proud to be from Rotherham, even with the recent scandals, but the town centre is dire.
I've lived in Barnsley for almost 9 years, if want to know what a town centre should be like, come to Barnsley for the day.

Totally agree. I’ve been to Barnsley a few times since the Town Centre was finished. Much better than the cesspit that is Rotherham Town Centre.

Lolmorgan
10-03-2023, 10:37 AM
One of the oldest & well respected shops now gone. Smith Bros aka the Ring Shop.It used to be a pleasure to go to the town now I don’t even go anymore.I’ve now heard that RMBC have dropped the £17million face lifted of the Rotherham Market.Sense at last.

Ericsladkilnhurst
10-03-2023, 11:29 AM

Barnsley Council have done well with the centre, I know a few businesses packed in with the charges for the new market,
we like to go on a Wednesday, call in Wetherspoons Silkstone [Closing] for a drink.
Go to one of the cafe / restaurants above the market, different types of food, order & pay for your food, they give you
a buzzer, goes off when food ready, gets really busy on market day.
Went in Chennel's pub, only got John Smith's smooth though, but had a drink, good price pint & a J2O for £4, food
cheap also. Won't be going back though with the beer not to my taste.

Godsend.F.C.
10-03-2023, 12:07 PM
Barnsley Council have done well with the centre, I know a few businesses packed in with the charges for the new market,
we like to go on a Wednesday, call in Wetherspoons Silkstone [Closing] for a drink.
Go to one of the cafe / restaurants above the market, different types of food, order & pay for your food, they give you
a buzzer, goes off when food ready, gets really busy on market day.
Went in Chennel's pub, only got John Smith's smooth though, but had a drink, good price pint & a J2O for £4, food
cheap also. Won't be going back though with the beer not to my taste.

Barnsley Council have done well & received a national award for the Glassworks regeneration plan. - Good developer on board - good outside contractors - & more importantly outside private investors that came up with cash to help fund regeneration.
The plan is to complete by 2033 (10yrs)

Godsend.F.C.
10-03-2023, 12:09 PM
One of the oldest & well respected shops now gone. Smith Bros aka the Ring Shop.It used to be a pleasure to go to the town now I don’t even go anymore.I’ve now heard that RMBC have dropped the £17million face lifted of the Rotherham Market.Sense at last.

There's a shortfall of cash for the Rotherham Market regeneration.
Almost £10m shortfall.

Godsend.F.C.
10-03-2023, 12:15 PM
Not disclosed who bought it, or what the premises will be used for.

It's a 3 storey building so would make sense for the top floor to become apartments (subject to planning).
There's rear access where delivery vehicles used to go.
As long as the ground floor isn't a Poundshop / Pawnshop / Amusement Arcade all will be fine.

jakethemiller
10-03-2023, 02:40 PM
Difference with Barnsley and Rotherham is Barnsley Council didn't sell their soul, hence the difference in people using the town centre.

Brin
10-03-2023, 04:26 PM

Bought the good lady her engagement ring from the Ring Shop. In there quite recently because it needed a repair. Karen the owner, looked inside the ring and told me exactly what I paid for it and what year. I asked her to explain how she worked it out so she did and I was amazed she was spot on.

As for the market, watch the council blow it daft on something else! Probably all go on or into the 'Forge Island' project.

What about the gaping whole where British Home stores use to be for starters?

Lolmorgan
10-03-2023, 05:01 PM
Bought the good lady her engagement ring from the Ring Shop. In there quite recently because it needed a repair. Karen the owner, looked inside the ring and told me exactly what I paid for it and what year. I asked her to explain how she worked it out so she did and I was amazed she was spot on.

As for the market, watch the council blow it daft on something else! Probably all go on or into the 'Forge Island' project.

What about the gaping whole where British Home stores use to be for starters?

It’s going to be a green space with benches so the druggies & drunks can make a mess of it.

pip_y
10-03-2023, 07:21 PM
.I will give you one good tip for Christmas,if you buy a Turkey or chicken for Christmas ask your butchers to dip it in the brine pot it keeps it moist & tasty.

Mum always got her meat frommthe stall in the market where Trevor Swift worked. Always got her pork joints dipped as she said it made better crackling.

Ericsladkilnhurst
10-03-2023, 07:52 PM
I use Meat Mart at Hellaby Rotherham & Barnsley [behind Morrison's supermarket]

Usually get big lump beef silver side & 2 big loins pork, cut the joints up to what
sizes I want, plus packs bacon etc.
Which I did last Wednesday at Barnsley, they knock off £2.50p for every £50 or £55
spent, I go in get over £50 worth get £2.50p knocked off, tell them my brother is
coming in when I go.
Put meat in the car boot, go back in, ask them if my brother has just been in, a new
lass on last time, she couldn't stop giggling.
Regular staff know what I do, I told new lass there were 3 brothers & 3rd brother was
coming in.
So best to buy separate purchases, end up with more money off. :P

CAMiller
10-03-2023, 08:06 PM
I use Meat Mart at Hellaby Rotherham & Barnsley [behind Morrison's supermarket]

Usually get big lump beef silver side & 2 big loins pork, cut the joints up to what
sizes I want, plus packs bacon etc.
Which I did last Wednesday at Barnsley, they knock off £2.50p for every £50 or £55
spent, I go in get over £50 worth get £2.50p knocked off, tell them my brother is
coming in when I go.
Put meat in the car boot, go back in, ask them if my brother has just been in, a new
lass on last time, she couldn't stop giggling.
Regular staff know what I do, I told new lass there were 3 brothers & 3rd brother was
coming in.
So best to buy separate purchases, end up with more money off. :P

They're laughing ELK because they give £10 off if you spend over £100 XD

Ericsladkilnhurst
10-03-2023, 08:32 PM
They're laughing ELK because they give £10 off if you spend over £100 XD

Not so lucky mate, used to get a big lump of silverside beef, for around £70-£75, now same just over £100.
So I get a load of salmon cuts of beef.

Lolmorgan
11-03-2023, 01:53 PM
Not so lucky mate, used to get a big lump of silverside beef, for around £70-£75, now same just over £100.

ELK how much for Top Side Beef,Silverside too tough for me nice tasteful but not for me.

sota
12-03-2023, 04:58 AM
Very sad to see that The Ring Shop has closed.

Ericsladkilnhurst
12-03-2023, 10:41 AM

ELK how much for Top Side Beef,Silverside too tough for me nice tasteful but not for me.

Sorry Lolmorgan, can not remember the prices, at the Barnsley Meat Mart they had a very big joint
of rump steak, buy that & cut your owns steaks.
I have never had any problems with Meat Mart [Formerly Crawshaws premises], pork loins & beef
very good.
I used Underwood's at Parkgate at one time, also the butchers on the retail park near the old
GEC factory at Swinton, the butchers at Swinton supply a lot of restaurants / pubs, colleges etc.

millavanilla
12-03-2023, 09:44 PM

Soon, everything will be closed sota, it's had it, or like we knew it,..a question to you though..did u play for ferham park avenue ? Just asking..

Brin
12-03-2023, 10:01 PM

sota, the SP is the owner recently passed away. His good Lady Wife and I believe Son, closed the shop down for a stock inventory.
They re opened for a few weeks and ended by reducing almost everything by up to 50% to clear their stock. She explained to me that the foot flow in the town was now virtually non existent hence their decision to close. The store was open for more than 127 years!

Here is their closing statement....A Rotherham retailer with over 100 years of history in the town centre has announced that it will close.

The Ring Shop on Corporation Street, also known as Smith Brothers, made the announcement last week that it will close its doors on February 18.

The jewellers has been a mainstay in the town, with the Swann family supplying Rotherham folk with engagement rings, wedding rings, watches and more.

In a post on Facebook, The Ring Shop said: "It is with heavy hearts that we announce the closing of Smith Brothers The Ring Shop, after 127 years at the centre of Rotherham.

"We are proud to have served multiple generations of families over the years, and we want to acknowledge the loyalty of our customers by offeringeductions of up to 50% off across our collections''

Very sad news indeed.