PDA

View Full Version : Southgate- why should he stay? He’s failed.

malwayne
11-12-2022, 05:18 PM
I just cannot understand why so called football media experts are sticking up for the current England manager. As far as I’m concerned, he’s a failure, and should go tomorrow. Even Royalty ,and heirarchy within the English football set - up, are all saying that England players should be proud of their efforts !! What !!! Proud of getting knocked out in a quarter final,!! Someone has to be kidding me. It’s a results business. Have they all forgotten that the aim of entering a competition is to win it. That’s right, be the team that picks up the WINNERS trophy at the end of it all, not reach a quarter final. Then you have something to be rightfully proud of doing. Somebody please tell all the experts that is what it’s all about. As for Kanes penalty miss, it was right that he also took the 2nd one. Had he wore another white shirt with a cockerel for a badge he would have scored.
Southgate said it was a game of fine margins. Where have we heard that before

army88
12-12-2022, 09:17 AM
I just cannot understand why so called football media experts are sticking up for the current England manager. As far as I’m concerned, he’s a failure, and should go tomorrow. Even Royalty ,and heirarchy within the English football set - up, are all saying that England players should be proud of their efforts !! What !!! Proud of getting knocked out in a quarter final,!! Someone has to be kidding me. It’s a results business. Have they all forgotten that the aim of entering a competition is to win it. That’s right, be the team that picks up the WINNERS trophy at the end of it all, not reach a quarter final. Then you have something to be rightfully proud of doing. Somebody please tell all the experts that is what it’s all about. As for Kanes penalty miss, it was right that he also took the 2nd one. Had he wore another white shirt with a cockerel for a badge he would have scored.
Southgate said it was a game of fine margins. Where have we heard that before

Exactly right Mal , but it’s the world we live in were now taught it’s taking part and we’re all winners, it’s the wrong mentality to have, but what do we know.

Football for all I agree with but all winners is a joke.

Results is the business and that’s how you should be judged - I’ll be honest I’m not Gareth’s biggest fan - however there is a pattern forming in our progression and we keep falling short of where we need to be - do you keep on with that or make the change that’s needed ?

Swissclaret
12-12-2022, 10:05 AM
From what I saw, it was not a game of “fine margins”. France were the better side, both on and off the ball.

To my mind, if we play Henderson, we are playing not to lose. He is good at what he does, but he is not another Griezmann.

I would have preferred that Madison, Grealish and Foden had started. Give The French more to worry about, alongside Saka.

Southgate comes across as too cautious. Teams go to win the trophy, not to not lose it.

malwayne
12-12-2022, 10:06 AM
Exactly right Mal , but it’s the world we live in were now taught it’s taking part and we’re all winners, it’s the wrong mentality to have, but what do we know.

Football for all I agree with but all winners is a joke.

Results is the business and that’s how you should be judged - I’ll be honest I’m not Gareth’s biggest fan - however there is a pattern forming in our progression and we keep falling short of where we need to be - do you keep on with that or make the change that’s needed ?

You change it.

sinkov
12-12-2022, 10:36 AM
I think Gareth has a point, it was a game of fine margins, overall we were the better team, we had them on the ropes when Kane missed that penalty, Giroud was 30 seconds away from being hooked when he scored, even one of my French friends says the French win was 'pas vraiment merité'.

I'd still like to see the back of Gareth though, never mind the fine margins, who did he turn to when the chips were down and we needed a goal ? Raheem Sterling !!

This is my big problem with Gareth, he much prefers Sterling to either Foden or Grealish, Pep has off-loaded Sterling and is building his City team around the other two, Gareth has made little or no attempt to incorporate either into the England team, Sterling being a seemingly permanent road block in their way. I can't claim to know more about football than Gareth, but I think Pep does, and while Gareth seems to think he knows better than Pep Guardiola, then in my opinion he's not fit to be England manager.

alfinyalcabo
12-12-2022, 06:14 PM
Get rid or Southgate ASAP now.

sinkov
12-12-2022, 07:36 PM
Get rid or Southgate ASAP now.

When should he go Alfie, ASAP or now ? O:)

sinkov
13-12-2022, 10:13 AM
Just another thought on the France game, they conceded three penalties while defending but got off light. One wasn't awarded, one missed and one scored. I would say that any team giving away three penalties in a game has defensive deficiencies or the attacking team is verging on lethal, got to be one or the other.

But France still won, c'est la vie, fine margins, not making excuses for Gareth, I still want him out, but not because Harry and the ref couldn't do their jobs properly.

kritichris
13-12-2022, 11:59 AM
I took part in a YouGov poll and was stunned to see the result that the vast majority thought Southgate was doing a good job, I was obviously in the minority.. My biggest gripes of the game were maguire starting, grealish not and why did he take saka, our greatest threat, off? I also blame maguire for giroud's goal, he got on the wrong side of him and I think it went in off maguire's shoulder. Southgate has always been too negative and has under utilised what has been available to him, the sooner he goes, now or ASAP, the better.