PDA

View Full Version : Derby County v Barnsley Match Thoughts,,,,

Romared
07-01-2023, 05:58 AM
This is only our second meeting in the FA Cup , we previously lost 8-1 in January 1897 , we also played the Rams in the Anglo Italian Cup at Oakwell in "late September back in 92 " ,,,, losing 2-1 " oh what a night " ,, our overall record v the Ram's is
won 22
drawn 17
lost 36,
tough game tomorrow ,
hope you don't mind me starting this thread Animal ,

Shadrack the Red
07-01-2023, 08:10 AM
This is only our second meeting in the FA Cup , we previously lost 8-1 in January 1897 , we also played the Rams in the Anglo Italian Cup at Oakwell in "late September back in 92 " ,,,, losing 2-1 " oh what a night " ,, our overall record v the Ram's is
won 22
drawn 17
lost 36,
tough game tomorrow ,

I see this much like I did the previous round at Bolton where the home side starts the favourite ,but my opinion is that our game is better suited to playing away & literally playing with less pressure as I see the cup being a free hit & therefore I can see us winning & progressing through which would be great as it would boost the coffers & move the Wendie match away from a Sunday fixture , win win !!!

animallittle3
07-01-2023, 09:46 AM
won 22
drawn 17
lost 36,
tough game tomorrow ,

Thanks Roma I was hoping you would , appreciate it .

Romared
07-01-2023, 11:13 AM
Threadbare defence ? Who plays ? I've heard that Jordan Williams is capable of doing a good job in the centre of defence , bring in Larkesh to cover ? Or Jasper Moon ? Shraha seems to have lost his way a bit , so has Wolfe who seems to have developed the same body language that Romal Palmer unfortunately had ,

Barnsley Chop
07-01-2023, 11:28 AM
Got the making of a good game - think both clubs will want to keep their FA Cup involvement going and so will pick their strongest team available.

SBRed48
07-01-2023, 12:52 PM
Parekh will be in the Barnsley dressing room just before they come out----

"Listen. If you lot want paying at the end of the month we have to win this game"

Barnsley Chop
07-01-2023, 01:03 PM
PNE v Ruddersfield - Diaby, Lindsay and Helik in action!

perkytyke
07-01-2023, 05:30 PM
Bambo scored for PNE!!!!
I think he will go with a flat back 4 with Cundy and Kitching in the centre with Williams and Larkeche as full backs?

Shadrack the Red
07-01-2023, 08:16 PM
There is a chance that Edwards could be back , if so I see him slotting in , we will see .

perkytyke
07-01-2023, 08:31 PM
He could come straight back in but I think he may come off the bench? Derby are on a 15 match unbeaten run so it won’t be easy this one!
I watched Wrexham’s win at Coventry today, they were impressive for 60 minutes until they ran out of steam, I have been hoping that we drew them, but thankfully we didn’t, they would have beat us easy today!

SBRed48
08-01-2023, 07:42 AM
PNE v Ruddersfield - Diaby, Lindsay and Helik in action!

Bambo has done well to rebuild his career following his two year ban for taking a banned substance whilst at Barnsley. Ban ended 22nd Jan 2022, almost a year ago.

Preston have Bambo as their No5--
A liitle bit of Monica in my life,
A little bit of Erica by my side,
A little bit of Rita's all I need,
A little bit of Tina's what I see,
A little bit of Sandra in the sun,
A little bit of Mary all night long,
A little bit of Jessica here I am,
A little bit of you makes me your man (eh)

Trumpet

SBRed48
08-01-2023, 08:03 AM
Bambo has done well to rebuild his career following his two year ban for taking a banned substance whilst at Barnsley. Ban ended 22nd Jan 2022, almost a year ago.

Preston have Bambo as their No5--
A liitle bit of Monica in my life,
A little bit of Erica by my side,
A little bit of Rita's all I need,
A little bit of Tina's what I see,
A little bit of Sandra in the sun,
A little bit of Mary all night long,
A little bit of Jessica here I am,
A little bit of you makes me your man (eh)

Trumpet

"Any chance of a bacon sarnie here Barb ?"

pass_and_move
08-01-2023, 10:13 AM
"He's got it sussed Twig with all them women auld mambo"

"Too right Jim"

pass_and_move
08-01-2023, 10:17 AM
"Would you like a little bit o Cheryl Twig?"

"You couldn't getta little bit of Cheryl Jim!"

POGGYWELL
08-01-2023, 11:32 AM

Subs: Collins (GK), Moon, Lancaster, Larkeche, Ackroyd, Benson, Martin, Phillips, Aitchison.

RAMS: Wildsmith (GK), Forsyth, Hourihane, Cashin, Barkhuizen, Bird (c), Collins, Sibley, Dobbin, Rooney, Knight.

Subs: Loach (GK), Mendez-Laing, Roberts, Thompson, Stearman, Davies.

Shadrack the Red
08-01-2023, 11:55 AM

Subs: Collins (GK), Moon, Lancaster, Larkeche, Ackroyd, Benson, Martin, Phillips, Aitchison.

RAMS: Wildsmith (GK), Forsyth, Hourihane, Cashin, Barkhuizen, Bird (c), Collins, Sibley, Dobbin, Rooney, Knight.

Subs: Loach (GK), Mendez-Laing, Roberts, Thompson, Stearman, Davies.

Interesting that we have named 9 subs whilst Derby 6 , they probably think they do not need their full allocation .

Doggydo
08-01-2023, 01:08 PM
A bit of a none event match all being played in the middle third of the pitch.

Why is Jack Walton so consistent at finding touch with his kicks?

Doggydo
08-01-2023, 01:12 PM
Edwards in trouble looks like a stretcher job

perkytyke
08-01-2023, 01:25 PM
We look like we are not bothered! Passing very poor, Kane always turning back rather than looking forward, Cole blowing out of his ar5e and when he gets it loses the ball EVERY time!
We are making a very poor Derby side look good.
Hoping we show a bit of positivity second half.

GRASS SOD
08-01-2023, 01:26 PM
Half time syndrome haunts us again

Young_Nudger
08-01-2023, 01:34 PM
Ist Half
We have nothing going forward - only Edwards long throws looking dangerous.
And he’s gone off with what looks to be a bad injury - his leg caught underneath him as he slid in to tackle.

Derby score a penalty as a Barnsley player (Wolfe?) throws his arms up in the air and handles the ball during a Derby corner.

For Derbys sake it was a good job someone in a Barnsley shirt helped them score - because they are dire - and it just underlines that there’s not much to beat in this league.

Doggydo
08-01-2023, 01:52 PM
Another assist from Wolfe

perkytyke
08-01-2023, 02:04 PM
2 goals given away by Wolfe, I don't know how he gets in the side ahead of Benson and Hondermarc it baffles me?
A lack lustre display from the start!
I hope the hierarchy are seeing how bad the defence is without Anderson if they are thinking of selling!!!

pass_and_move
08-01-2023, 02:14 PM
Really poor performance today. Nowt more to be said

perkytyke
08-01-2023, 02:17 PM
3-0 and all 3 goals just given to them.....
Awful display against a poor team, there isn't one player today who can say they put a shift in.
Absolutely disgusting performance.

POGGYWELL
08-01-2023, 02:17 PM
On 83 minutes I’m just saying this:
A professional job done by Derby and not hard to do in a very embarrassing defeat by us.
Seriously we need to throughly examine our starting line ups.

animallittle3
08-01-2023, 02:18 PM
I've nowt to add from what's already been said today .

Other than .

You can see us dropping away can't you in the second half of the season .

Doggydo
08-01-2023, 02:22 PM
I normally dread January for fear of which players we’re going to lose but not this year, nobody is going to come in for any of these players.
None of them have that winning mentality, our passing is abysmal, all in all we are a poor to average side without any heart.

Young_Nudger
08-01-2023, 02:35 PM
Ist Half
We have nothing going forward - only Edwards long throws looking dangerous.
And he’s gone off with what looks to be a bad injury - his leg caught underneath him as he slid in to tackle.

Derby score a penalty as a Barnsley player (Wolfe?) throws his arms up in the air and handles the ball during a Derby corner.

For Derbys sake it was a good job someone in a Barnsley shirt helped them score - because they are dire - and it just underlines that there’s not much to beat in this league.

2nd Half
If any manager from another club has watched the Bolton (home) and Derby (away) games - their instructions to the players when playing Barnsley will be this - just stay in the game because Barnsley will provide the chances for you to score easy goals against them.

Another bad bad bad day at the office.

As usual nothing sticking up front.
Ball played forward - and it comes straight back.
And the wing back play from Williams and Cadden was dreadful.

Duff has done marvellously well with the players he’s got - but he’s got some work to do right now to turn things around.

Only positive of that match was the great support from the Barnsley fans.

Barnsley Chop
08-01-2023, 02:41 PM
The worrying thing is that other than a few players unavailable including Anderson and Thomas, Duff basically picked his strongest team.

Going back to the current Millwall final team thread, only Williams who was in that team would get into it from the current players we have now.

Young_Nudger
08-01-2023, 02:44 PM
I've nowt to add from what's already been said today .

Other than .

You can see us dropping away can't you in the second half of the season .

Definitely.
We have lost against Bolton and Derby - two poor teams.
Nothing to beat - and yet we make them look good.

It’s becoming evident as the season drags on that we have a lack of players at the club.
Noticed during Wednesday v Newcastle - that Wednesday had the option of about 6 strikers - Barnsley has 2, the rest are young kids.

Barnsley Chop
08-01-2023, 02:47 PM
2nd Half
If any manager from another club has watched the Bolton (home) and Derby (away) games - their instructions to the players when playing Barnsley will be this - just stay in the game because Barnsley will provide the chances for you to score easy goals against them.

Another bad bad bad day at the office.

As usual nothing sticking up front.
Ball played forward - and it comes straight back.
And the wing back play from Williams and Cadden was dreadful.

Duff has done marvellously well with the players he’s got - but he’s got some work to do right now to turn things around.

Only positive of that match was the great support from the Barnsley fans.

Listening to the radio Sheff, Williams did get forward first half and defended well at times. He was in the back 3 second half Nudge not wing back.

Oh I forgot... other than 1 game you always knock the lad eh.

animallittle3
08-01-2023, 03:03 PM
To be totally honest is it even worth going up if we sneaked in to the play offs and had the break of the ball and won at Wembley .

I know there's a debate that says you take it whilst it's there but this squad is an absolute mile off even competing at championship level .

Would at least another season in league one be the better option going forward with Duff at the helm ?

Another couple of transfer windows and some of the dead wood out of the door .

C'mon guys we are miles away from the last two teams that were promoted from this level .

GRASS SOD
08-01-2023, 03:37 PM
ist half
we have nothing going forward - only edwards long throws looking dangerous.

Derby score a penalty as a barnsley player (wolfe?) throws his arms up in the air and handles the ball during a derby corner.

For derbys sake it was a good job someone in a barnsley shirt helped them score - because they are dire - and it just underlines that there’s not much to beat in this league.
including us !!

POGGYWELL
08-01-2023, 04:00 PM
To be totally honest is it even worth going up if we sneaked in to the play offs and had the break of the ball and won at Wembley .

I know there's a debate that says you take it whilst it's there but this squad is an absolute mile off even competing at championship level .

Would at least another season in league one be the better option going forward with Duff at the helm ?

Another couple of transfer windows and some of the dead wood out of the door .

C'mon guys we are miles away from the last two teams that were promoted from this level .

We are a million miles away from Championship level that’s for sure.

pass_and_move
08-01-2023, 04:15 PM
I agree that we aren't championship ready but somebody name me a side in league 1 this season (barring Ipswich) who is championship ready?

Dreadful standard this division for me.

Young_Nudger
08-01-2023, 04:28 PM
Listening to the radio Sheff, Williams did get forward first half and defended well at times. He was in the back 3 second half Nudge not wing back.

Oh I forgot... other than 1 game you always knock the lad eh.

We don’t just rely on Williams and Cadden to defend - we also rely on them to move the ball forward including passing the ball forward.
Both of them were absolutely shocking today in that department.
IMO - neither are up to the job.
We can’t expect two lightweight strikers to be put through on goal when pass after pass was woeful - especially those passes coming from the wing backs.

Benson was pushed into the wingback role - but playing wingback is not his natural position.
I didn’t think Brittan would be missed - but he is.

animallittle3
08-01-2023, 04:35 PM
I agree that we aren't championship ready but somebody name me a side in league 1 this season (barring Ipswich) who is championship ready?

Dreadful standard this division for me.

There's varying degrees of championship ready Pass in my opinion .

This is Ritchie's mob of 2006 but entering a league probably twice as hard as it was then .

SBRed48
08-01-2023, 04:50 PM
I normally dread January for fear of which players we’re going to lose but not this year, nobody is going to come in for any of these players.
None of them have that winning mentality, our passing is abysmal, all in all we are a poor to average side without any heart.

I would fear the sale of Andersen.

Is it just coincidence that the two games he hasn't been in the centre of defence (early sending off versus Bolton) we have lost 3-0 and 3-0 ?

Or is it just that we have played opposition higher in our league than in recent fixtures ?

The club is skint with a zero bank balance. The temptation to sell late in January will be immense. Undisclosed of course.

So far in the transfer window we have taken a punt on a loan striker who hasn't scored for a year. Big three weeks ahead for Parekh to back Duff.

Spectumer Agendo. Judge us by our actions

Barnsley Chop
08-01-2023, 05:04 PM
We don’t just rely on Williams and Cadden to defend - we also rely on them to move the ball forward including passing the ball forward.
Both of them were absolutely shocking today in that department.
IMO - neither are up to the job.
We can’t expect two lightweight strikers to be put through on goal when pass after pass was woeful - especially those passes coming from the wing backs.

Benson was pushed into the wingback role - but playing wingback is not his natural position.
I didn’t think Brittan would be missed - but he is.

You still choose not to acknowledge your omission that Williams was not playing wing back second half.

So Benson a £1 million pound reputed signing cannot adapt and cross a ball?

Whilst Williams can and does on many occasions.

I rest my case My Lord !

What a nightmare you are.

animallittle3
08-01-2023, 05:42 PM
No punches pulled from Duff after that performance .

https://twitter.com/robstaton/status/1612102024190955536?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1612102024190955536%7Ctwgr% 5E9623cb85490725bda99ac1ec1d51e688ed36fa35%7Ctwcon %5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwi tter.min.html1612102024190955536

Barnsley Chop
08-01-2023, 05:53 PM
He will be a very frustrated, disappointed and lonely person this evening.

Probably calling his wife now and saying he is looking for a job vacancy somewhere around the M5 area.

pass_and_move
08-01-2023, 11:02 PM
There's varying degrees of championship ready Pass in my opinion .

This is Ritchie's mob of 2006 but entering a league probably twice as hard as it was then .

Totally agree wi that.

To answer your other question- I think we should go all out for promotion rather than linger in this division for another season. I understand exactly what you're suggesting in terms of building a team and developing understanding-The Hecky team had two years in league 1 and players like Winnall and Hourihane flourished in their 2nd season at league 1 level and took that into the Championship. Who's to say the Caddens and Cundys, Kanes, Bensons etc couldn't do the same in this team?

However, I'm looking at it from a financial point of view which you've got to do these days Animal, especially with how BFC are run. I know it's wrong and thar knows it too but let's face facts, building a successful team able to compete at Championship level isn't in the clubs way of thinking. The last two promotions from this level saw two promising sides broken up and sold.

My thinking and probably the most realistic way of raising capital at this club, is to go all out for promotion this season. Duff has got us in with a sniff so let's make sure we follow it up and get in that top 6 with some short term investment. Getting promotion would yield a far greater financial reward than staying in league one for another season would. This would be a key factor in the clubs short term survival because the injection of cash from TV revenue, sponsors and bigger crowds that you gain at championship level would go a long way to clearing the clubs mounting debts. The owners aren't gonna fund it with their own brass like Patrick Cryne did, that's for sure. Also we don't have many saleable assets currently in the playing squad.

Worrying times for me. Some fans may bury their heads in the sand as regards our financial situation but we obviously need to generate quite a lot of money somehow.

GRASS SOD
08-01-2023, 11:38 PM
Be a good start to definitely improve the players persistent foul ups of playing it out from the back

SBRed48
09-01-2023, 07:13 AM
Totally agree wi that.

To answer your other question- I think we should go all out for promotion rather than linger in this division for another season. I understand exactly what you're suggesting in terms of building a team and developing understanding-The Hecky team had two years in league 1 and players like Winnall and Hourihane flourished in their 2nd season at league 1 level and took that into the Championship. Who's to say the Caddens and Cundys, Kanes, Bensons etc couldn't do the same in this team?

However, I'm looking at it from a financial point of view which you've got to do these days Animal, especially with how BFC are run. I know it's wrong and thar knows it too but let's face facts, building a successful team able to compete at Championship level isn't in the clubs way of thinking. The last two promotions from this level saw two promising sides broken up and sold.

My thinking and probably the most realistic way of raising capital at this club, is to go all out for promotion this season. Duff has got us in with a sniff so let's make sure we follow it up and get in that top 6 with some short term investment. Getting promotion would yield a far greater financial reward than staying in league one for another season would. This would be a key factor in the clubs short term survival because the injection of cash from TV revenue, sponsors and bigger crowds that you gain at championship level would go a long way to clearing the clubs mounting debts. The owners aren't gonna fund it with their own brass like Patrick Cryne did, that's for sure. Also we don't have many saleable assets currently in the playing squad.

Worrying times for me. Some fans may bury their heads in the sand as regards our financial situation but we obviously need to generate quite a lot of money somehow.

Correct Pass.

I said in an earlier post I think financially it is sh1t or bust this season. Another season of just £2million from TV income rather than the £8million in the Championship would cripple us. Conway has maxed out our credit card, spending the £5 million we had in the clubs balances taking them down to zero, the club purchase still to pay for with £2.75 million in instalments due to kick in again in July, an undisclosed EFL Covid loan still to pay, Only Andersen and Styles as significant player assets and Styles forced a low release clause as a condition of going to Millwall on loan.
Parekh has limped us along month to month by issuing emergency share sales but this is not sustainable. There will not be sufficient value left in the club to back up many more share sales. It's like owning a corner shop worth £100K in premises, stock and goodwill and asking shareholders to buy shares in it for £150K in total. Parekh himself has admitted the latest share money runs out at the end of January. We are skint.
It's time for Parekh and the "new Board" to stand up and be counted with some serious personal investment of their own rather than the sticking plaster approach to finances we have now.
It's OK Parekh sitting with a Red's scarf on spouting warm words or Julie being wacky, bubbly and engaging but we need a bit of Spectumer Agendo as promised.