PDA

View Full Version : Wrexham/Chesterfield Fixture Pileups

magpie2k4
07-01-2023, 07:55 PM
Wrexham already have a lot of games to fit in, but now they have even more!

Wrexham have to rearrange TWO MORE games!

They were due to play Chesterfield, but can’t now due to Chesterfield’s replay.

Then later in the month it’s the 4th round day when they’re due to play Woking at home.

upthemaggies
07-01-2023, 08:19 PM
Wrexham already have a lot of games to fit in, but now they have even more!

Wrexham have to rearrange TWO MORE games!

They were due to play Chesterfield, but can’t now due to Chesterfield’s replay.

Then later in the month it’s the 4th round day when they’re due to play Woking at home.

I do think this can only help our chances of securing the title.

The one major potential downside is that, *if* Wrexham are ultimately destined to be champions, a fixture pile up makes it more likely that they'd snatch 1st place at the death rather than (for example) take 1st spot mid-March and pull away from us from there. Which would leave Notts with less time to come to terms with having to go through the play off route and mentally re-adjust and prepare.

OP67
07-01-2023, 08:32 PM
Not just Wrexham but Chesterfield as well, especially if they win the replay. The pressure of games every Saturday/Tuesday will take it's toll. Wrexham fans are worried if the lose Mullins to injury which is more likely to happen with their style of play and lots of games.

Notts78
07-01-2023, 09:03 PM
Not just Wrexham but Chesterfield as well, especially if they win the replay. The pressure of games every Saturday/Tuesday will take it's toll. Wrexham fans are worried if the lose Mullins to injury which is more likely to happen with their style of play and lots of games.

Not only injuries. Parkinson would have to find a way of keeping all the players as fresh as possible. Then there is the practicality of preparing for each game. Saturday game, Sunday rest, Monday brief on opposition, Tuesday game, Wednesday rest, Thursday train, Friday brief on opposition - repeat.
It’s impossible to do all the things you would want to do. Wrexham and Chesterfield will need to rely on playing to their potential to win games rather than nullify their opponents strengths. Mental fatigue as much as physical exertion will more than likely take it’s toll.

MAD_MAGPIE
07-01-2023, 10:34 PM
A fixture pileup typically has a two outcomes. A team can go on a run and gain some momentum and start winning and pick up more points. Or fatigue, injury and suspensions can creep in and teams can start dropping points and losing games.

Let's hope it's the latter for Wrexham. The other thing to bare in mind is they may make some signings to keep things fresh this month.

The thing is we can't and have no control of what they do, only what we do. We are top and all we can do is keeping winning and dropping as few points as possible. Let them have the pressure of chasing us because of the expectations on them. I'd sooner us have played the games and have the points on the board.

kill_the_drum
07-01-2023, 10:47 PM
I hope it helps us but we played virtually every Sat/Tue in the Munto season from January onwards, having had multiple postponements Nov/Dec.
It certainly didn’t cause us any problems.

OP67
07-01-2023, 11:52 PM
Even now Wrexham could pay the price with their game against Bromley on Tuesday. A tricky tie to start with without having to play 110% in the FA Cup just to reach the next round. At least we could sub players to give them some extra rest such is the way we play.

queenslandpie
08-01-2023, 12:03 AM
If Chesterfield win their games in hand and assuming Notts and Wrexham keep on chugging they are 3 points off the pace. They are almost as dangerous as Wrexham. Although I am not sure what has happened to that Tshinminga chap don't see him scoring so many nowadays.

irishpete
08-01-2023, 07:50 AM
The pressure is on Wrexham end of. They have to win the games in hand to go above us & whilst they play in the FA Cup & Trophy it's an added bonus for us. Borehamwood fcuked up last season by going on a run in the FA Cup. The games will stock pile & if we have any bad weather in the rest of Winter they could end up playing 2 games a week nearly til the end.

Notts78
08-01-2023, 08:11 AM
If Chesterfield win their games in hand and assuming Notts and Wrexham keep on chugging they are 3 points off the pace. They are almost as dangerous as Wrexham. Although I am not sure what has happened to that Tshinminga chap don't see him scoring so many nowadays.

In theory yes. However, before they play those games in hand they play us. That could tighten things up further or create a bigger gap if we were to win. Also, one of the games in hand is Wrexham. The ideal result would be a draw.
Both Wrexham and Chesterfield do have games in hand, however, Wrexham are probably better equipped with more quality in the squad than Chessie.
My final point regarding Chessie is the psychological hurdle of looking at the table and seeing us 12 points ahead. Yes they have games in hand. However, each draw or loss will hurt them so much more mentally.
For me they are very much in it. They had one poor week where they lost 3 games. It’s cost them.

irishpete
08-01-2023, 08:12 AM
All 3 of us playing Tuesday night

magpie_mania
08-01-2023, 08:57 AM
For me, the more games we get in front that we win, the better.

Would also prefer Chesterfield to beat Wrexham. I see Wrexham as our greatest threat. That game and ours v Chesterfield are going to be really important .......and what a game it could be for us at Wrexham.

OP67
08-01-2023, 09:44 AM
The other thing to bare in mind is they may make some signings to keep things fresh this month.

Not so easy for a NL clubs mid season as any decent players will have scored goals/played well so far so less likely to let them go. Plus Wrexham have a fairly settled team so who will want to drop down to sit on the bench? Unless you're a Wrexham fan who believes they can buy anyone with their millions XD

I've just noticed Wealdstone are in the play off places, when did that happen. Tough game away for Chesterfield on Tuesday.

Carlton_Pie
08-01-2023, 09:51 AM

All 3 of Chesterfields games in hand are away from home and 1 is against Wrexham. I can't see them picking up 9 points.

They've got to win 3 games to get within 3 points of us , sounds very much like us chasing teams last season...we never got close!

jackal2
08-01-2023, 01:19 PM
The pressure is on Wrexham end of. They have to win the games in hand to go above us & whilst they play in the FA Cup & Trophy it's an added bonus for us. Borehamwood fcuked up last season by going on a run in the FA Cup. The games will stock pile & if we have any bad weather in the rest of Winter they could end up playing 2 games a week nearly til the end.

I think we have to remember Wrexham have far more squad depth than Boreham Wood, but having a big fixtures backlog certainly puts pressure on their powers of concentration. If we do our own job and keep winning our games, then Wrexham will know they face one 'must win' game after another. They obviously hold all the cards over us in terms of resources, but if you could design a fixtures scheduling scenario that might undermine their advantage, then this is it.

keldsyke
08-01-2023, 02:27 PM
Keep winning and the pressure is on everyone else to catch us and then those with the games in hand the pressure becomes even more.

optipez
08-01-2023, 03:20 PM
Keep winning and the pressure is on everyone else to catch us and then those with the games in hand the pressure becomes even more.

That's the sum of it I think. If we keep winning we'll go up. Not just because of the points tally but because it will dishearten the chasers into dropping points.
If, and it's never a given, we win on Tuesday then it's another game less for the chasers to catch us. We need to knock the fight out them the way Stockport did to everyone last season.

Elite_Pie
08-01-2023, 04:16 PM
Wrexham home to Sheff U in the 4th round, Chesterfield away to Bristol City / Swansea if they win the replay.

Notts78
08-01-2023, 04:25 PM
Wrexham home to Sheff U in the 4th round, Chesterfield away to Bristol City / Swansea if they win the replay.

Hardly glamour ties. Just dipped in the Wrexham forum. Underwhelmed seems to be a common theme with this draw. Perfect for us though as it’s potentially a winnable game but will no doubt be one that takes energy out of the players. A draw would be absolutely perfect.

irishpete
08-01-2023, 04:36 PM
Wrexham cup game will be one that sapps all their energy. Will rightly so, be up for it especially being at home & go hell for leather

tommopie8
08-01-2023, 05:18 PM
Well we lasted until round 4 in the Munto season - took a pasting at Fulham in Trew's first game (?) and proceeded to wipe the floor with most teams and claw back a 10+ point deficit including the win against Rochdale at home...

Wouldn't surprise me if we were Rochdale this season although If we can get through to the end of February with our PPG in tact then the rest of our fixtures look winnable with the exception of Wrexham away.

We're on course for 100 points still and statistically our best season ever. Title or not - the players and LW deserve nothing but praise if we do miss out by a point of two to the non-league Galacticos.

magpie2k4
08-01-2023, 10:52 PM
The reason we caught Rochdale wasn’t just our form, they also collapsed. If we can maintain our form this season and not lose in Wales, then we could win the league.

irishpete
09-01-2023, 09:02 AM
[QUOTE=tommopie8;40188998]Well we lasted until round 4 in the Munto season - took a pasting at Fulham in Trew's first game (?) and proceeded to wipe the floor with most teams and claw back a 10+ point deficit including the win against Rochdale at home...

Wouldn't call Fulham a pasting, would accept that result before the start tbh, now Swansea is what was a pasting. No doubt knocked the players confidence.

tripie
09-01-2023, 09:13 PM
[QUOTE=tommopie8;40188998]Well we lasted until round 4 in the Munto season - took a pasting at Fulham in Trew's first game (?) and proceeded to wipe the floor with most teams and claw back a 10+ point deficit including the win against Rochdale at home...

Wouldn't call Fulham a pasting, would accept that result before the start tbh, now Swansea is what was a pasting. No doubt knocked the players confidence.

We played well against Fulham. Hughsey had an unusual off day in front of goal, Mark Swartz made some good saves and Bobby Zamora was a real handful. Nowhere near a pasting.

uysapie
09-01-2023, 11:12 PM
All 3 of us playing Tuesday night

Cheaterfield game off apparently, waterlogged pitch. Adds to their backlog.

Proactive not Reactive
10-01-2023, 08:22 AM
I'm sad about the Chesterfield game being off, I'm loving them having a backlog but after a very tough game where their own twitter was saying they looked very tired, I don't think a trip to London on a wet miserable day/night would help them and could see them dropping points.

Davy500
10-01-2023, 11:29 AM
I'm sad about the Chesterfield game being off, I'm loving them having a backlog but after a very tough game where their own twitter was saying they looked very tired, I don't think a trip to London on a wet miserable day/night would help them and could see them dropping points.

As long as we make it count and win our game,the only way chesterfield will benefit or wrexham for that matter, is if we slip up, giving them a bigger incentive to win their games in hand

WarsopPie
10-01-2023, 11:40 AM
Chesterfield next week will probably be that game we slip up, our record there isn’t the best.

Proactive not Reactive
10-01-2023, 02:29 PM
Warsop it was a good win in 2020 though 2.1 down going into injury time and we won 3.2, it would be nice to do that again

upthemaggies
10-01-2023, 03:07 PM
Chesterfield next week will probably be that game we slip up, our record there isn’t the best.

8 wins from 33 league visits, 16 defeats.

Locally we have got a better PPG league record away to Fword, Leicester, Mansfield and Lincoln.
Only Derby has yielded a worse close proximity return than going to Chesterfield.

Carlton_Pie
10-01-2023, 05:46 PM

Not a bad thing if we can put another 3 points between the teams.

irishpete
10-01-2023, 05:52 PM
3pts tonight just puts more pressure on the pack. Could possibly break Cheaterfield knowing how many games they need to win just to catch up

Elite_Pie
13-01-2023, 09:57 PM
Wrexham's fixture pile-up just got a bit easier.

They are out of the FA Trophy after losing at Altrincham on penalties.

St Kitts Magpie
13-01-2023, 09:59 PM
Wrexham's fixture pile-up just got a bit easier.

They are out of the FA Trophy after losing at Altrincham on penalties.

Beat me to it.

Magpies1959
13-01-2023, 10:09 PM
If as stated by LW that we are serious about winning the FA Trophy then tonight's result has to be good for us. Wrexham and Chesterfield are now out so we must have a good chance of lifting the trophy, whether you think it is a good or bad idea to try and progress.

Glad2BeAPie
13-01-2023, 10:16 PM
2 trips to Wembley on the cards

St Kitts Magpie
13-01-2023, 10:20 PM
If as stated by LW that we are serious about winning the FA Trophy then tonight's result has to be good for us. Wrexham and Chesterfield are now out so we must have a good chance of lifting the trophy, whether you think it is a good or bad idea to try and progress.

Got to be a good thing IMO. Wembley not to be sniffed at.

Glad2BeAPie
13-01-2023, 10:38 PM
9 pages on the Wrexham forum about tonight's loss, and Notts get 2 mentions

Notts78
13-01-2023, 11:01 PM
I’ve had mixed feelings about the FA Trophy. On one hand it’s extra games, however (final aside) it’s potentially 3 league games that get postponed. Now, given that both Wrexham (2) and Chesterfield (4) currently have games in hand on us, the FA trophy games aren’t a hindrance that some would have us believe. We have very few midweek games so having to ‘squeeze’ Eastleigh, Dorking and Altrincham in to our schedule isn’t the end of the world and in fact could work in our favour.
This is all assuming we don’t have a few weeks of horrendous cold weather with games postponed.

What I also love about a few on there forum is the arrogance. They have this amazing squad (apparently) that hasn’t taken of business against Alty. Then giving it large about Alty only beat the reserves. Yet not a few days ago basking in the glory of beating a much changed Coventry side.

uysapie
13-01-2023, 11:13 PM
I'd rather lose on Sunday and just focus on the league.

Notts78
13-01-2023, 11:34 PM
I'd rather lose on Sunday and just focus on the league.

Our Saturday games can still get called off even if we are out. All 3 opposition on the dates the FA trophy fixtures are players are still in. Alty through and Eastleigh/Dorking have more than winnable games.
The fact we often put the fringe players out with a few regulars isn’t going to impact us.

nw6pie
14-01-2023, 09:00 AM
Our Saturday games can still get called off even if we are out. All 3 opposition on the dates the FA trophy fixtures are players are still in. Alty through and Eastleigh/Dorking have more than winnable games.
The fact we often put the fringe players out with a few regulars isn’t going to impact us.

You’d expect Eastleigh to beat Braintree at home today, who are our opponents when the fifth round is played. Wrexham will definitely play on Feb 11 as Wealdstone are already out of the cup, but Chesterfield are due to play Torquay (home to Taunton today).

The fewer midweek games we have, the better, obviously, with our paper-thin squad. Still, we’ve strengthened the goalkeeper position with Archie Mair; now just a forward and LWB needed (assuming no players leave this month), and to get TAR and Connell fit again.

Elite_Pie
17-01-2023, 08:10 PM
So what do we want at West Brom tonight? A win for the Crooked Spirites, a heartbreaking defeat, or an absolute battering?

I'm hoping for an exhausting game, with a red card or two for them thrown in.

Elite_Pie
17-01-2023, 08:29 PM
Solihull 0-2 down at home to Aldershot after 16 mins, Effiong with both goals.

They are on an awful run, we need to take full advantage in seven days time.

Also, WBA take the lead against Chesterfield.

Glad2BeAPie
17-01-2023, 08:31 PM
I do think this can only help our chances of securing the title.

The one major potential downside is that, *if* Wrexham are ultimately destined to be champions, a fixture pile up makes it more likely that they'd snatch 1st place at the death rather than (for example) take 1st spot mid-March and pull away from us from there. Which would leave Notts with less time to come to terms with having to go through the play off route and mentally re-adjust and prepare.
The only major potential downside is that we'll feck it up ourselves

uysapie
17-01-2023, 09:17 PM
Solihull 0-2 down at home to Aldershot after 16 mins, Effiong with both goals.

They are on an awful run, we need to take full advantage in seven days time.

Also, WBA take the lead against Chesterfield.

WBA 3 up

OP67
17-01-2023, 09:32 PM
With Chesterfield losing 3-0 now I should think they'll throw the towel in and makes some subs rather than throw everything at it.

Magpies1959
17-01-2023, 10:16 PM
Would have preferred a closer game, but 4-0 will not really have done them any good. They do have a lot of games to play now, and have a tough run of fixtures coming up.

nw6pie
17-01-2023, 11:13 PM
Would have preferred a closer game, but 4-0 will not really have done them any good. They do have a lot of games to play now, and have a tough run of fixtures coming up.

Chesterfield’s game against Torquay on Feb. 11 is now off, with the latter in the fifth round of the FA Trophy. I also see the Wrexham v Chesterfield game had been rearranged for Feb. 28.

queenslandpie
17-01-2023, 11:20 PM
How many times do you think Paul Cook will use the phrase "looking for a response" between now and 5pm Saturday?

Magpies1959
18-01-2023, 11:25 AM
With Chesterfield's home match with Torquay on the 11th of Feb, now being cancelled due to Torquay still being in the FA Trophy, they will now have a run of 10 games in five and a half weeks, with seven of those being away, starting on the 28th Jan at Barnet and ending on the 7th Mar at Southend. If you are not allowed to bring forward a rearranged game then there is not a free date to break up this run of fixtures.

OP67
19-01-2023, 12:02 PM
On a different note I see Wrexham didn't get the Levelling Up money they'd pinned their hopes on to help fund the new Kop end of their ground. Lets see if R&R's commitment and pockets are deep enough to fund it now.

magpie2k4
21-01-2023, 10:56 AM
When do Chesterfield have a free date to play us if today’s game is postponed? Will this be pushed back to April?

Notts78
21-01-2023, 11:00 AM
When do Chesterfield have a free date to play us if today’s game is postponed? Will this be pushed back to April?

Not the end of the world if it was rearranged to April. Could be a game in hand on Wrexham that is favourable to us if we are still top or within 3 points of top.

upthemaggies
21-01-2023, 11:03 AM

31st January? If not then 14th March looks like the next free midweek date.

Edit: It'll be Saturday 11th Feb as 59 says on another thread.

Notts78
21-01-2023, 11:06 AM
31st January? If not then 14th March looks like the next free midweek date.

What about Saturday 11th Feb? Neither of us in the Trophy and both have no fixture.

Edit. It’s been covered

upthemaggies
21-01-2023, 11:09 AM
What about Saturday 11th Feb? Neither of us in the Trophy and both have no fixture.

Edit. It’s been covered

They've still got Wealdstone away to re-arrange which could take that date.

Notts78
21-01-2023, 11:13 AM
They've still got Wealdstone away to re-arrange which could take that date.

From a money point of view I think they would prefer a home game v us on a Saturday rather than a Tuesday.

magpie2k4
21-01-2023, 11:17 AM
It’s beyond frustrating how many rearranged games we have had due to the opposition. We’ve done our bit for the most part! (Even going out the cups early!)