View Full Version : Sir Bobby Robson

soulman101
16-02-2023, 04:26 PM
Would have been 90 this Saturday.
My Ist memory from my Ist match in 1961, was seeing Bobby leading the team out to the tune of stars and stripes.
Just like this photo, from the star is it Stan jones behind him ? https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2023/02/16/bobby-90---football-comes-together-to-remember-former-albion-player-and-england-boss-sir-bobby-robson/

WBA1955
16-02-2023, 05:18 PM
A true gentleman loved by all.

albion68
16-02-2023, 06:04 PM
A true gentleman loved by all. my mother worked in chads fish restaurant in new street for a good many years late 40s till they moved round the corner in the late 60s..the owners the westwards were massive baggie fans .most days after training the Albion players would come in the restaurant and have big plate of fish and chips before going to Willie holts billiard hall.the fish and chips was always on the house…my mother always told me Bobby robson always offered the money to pay for his .they never let him but he always offered,the old lady would say Bobby robson real gentleman as were a few other old baggies.she use to say there’s one miserable git..don Howe..

Q165
16-02-2023, 07:46 PM
Yes that is Stan Jones.

My brother told me of the time he saw him when he was leaving The Hawthorns for the last time. He was on the bus with his stuff in a paper bag.

soulman101
16-02-2023, 07:56 PM
Yes that is Stan Jones.

My brother told me of the time he saw him when he was leaving The Hawthorns for the last time. He was on the bus with his stuff in a paper bag.
I thought it was Stan, some mornings we used to watch him train at Spring rd.
Then dinner time he would give us a bag of chips,when he was serving in his chip shop , just round the corner of the Sandwell pub.