PDA

View Full Version : One of those days!

Robertomac
25-02-2023, 11:41 PM
Now I've had a few hours to calm down, I can reflect fairly on the game. Overall we played well. 1st half I think we could have stepped up a gear and played at a higher tempo, but that's being quite critical. 2nd half we did everything really and you just have to reflect on the fact it wasn't our day. If we'd played like that on another day it could have been a 4 or 5 nil victory.

Unfortunately, I think we've definitely put wrexham in the driving seat. Yes, there are still a lot of games left but I think a big difference between us and them is that they seem to find a way through in games like today.

I think any criticism against players or management after today is misguided. We're all frustrated and disappointed. We played well and restricted them to 2 shots. You know it's bad if Effiong scores against you... he looked hopeless today imo.

jackal2
26-02-2023, 12:00 AM
Unfortunately, I think we've definitely put wrexham in the driving seat. Yes, there are still a lot of games left but I think a big difference between us and them is that they seem to find a way through in games like today.

The thing is, there isn't a big difference between us and them. Four points maximum if they win both their games in hand. It might be advantage Wrexham at present, but by no means is the title race over. It's not impossible that Wrexham could 'win out' from here on, but it's highly improbable. I think in our remaining games, if we can cut out conceding some of the avoidable goals we've conceded in recent times and keep a few more clean sheets, then we've still got every chance.

Robertomac
26-02-2023, 12:08 AM
Immediately post match, I thought it's all over. Now I'm less emotive and more rational, I can see there's still a long way to go. But we'd be fools to not recognise it's now definitely advantage wrexham. We just need to make sure we do our bit and push all the way yo the end.

nay123
26-02-2023, 12:18 AM
Now I've had a few hours to calm down, I can reflect fairly on the game. Overall we played well. 1st half I think we could have stepped up a gear and played at a higher tempo, but that's being quite critical. 2nd half we did everything really and you just have to reflect on the fact it wasn't our day. If we'd played like that on another day it could have been a 4 or 5 nil victory.

I think any criticism against players or management after today is misguided. We're all frustrated and disappointed. We played well and restricted them to 2 shots. You know it's bad if Effiong scores against you... he looked hopeless today imo.

No iv though about it notts were crap

nay123
26-02-2023, 12:20 AM
Wrexham will run out league winners by about 7 clear points in the end

Davy500
26-02-2023, 12:53 AM

Yes Wrexham find a way through with their 12th man the ref giving them penalties' that never were

Davy500
26-02-2023, 12:59 AM
Wrexham will run out league winners by about 7 clear points in the end

Quite likely be 7 to 10 points if we lose at Wrexham

The fact is they have been much better than us at home, and overall have had more points from other teams , if you take out the match we beat them we would be behind them, with them having 2 games in hand
Not surprising the money, and the help from referees they get

It is possible Wrexham could slip up , and we get top , but not likely

We are considerably better than the rest, and will have to prove it in the play offs - simple as

Elite_Pie
26-02-2023, 01:09 AM
The pressure is now on Wrexham, just a pity that Chesterfield on Tuesday now looks an easy game rather than a tricky one. If we carry on playing like we did today, Wrexham won't have much margin for error.

Davy500
26-02-2023, 01:29 AM
That is why having games in hand has helped Wrexham, if i believe correctly, Chesterfield were playing well when Wrexham were first meant to play them
So not only do they have money, a 12th man, they now have luck as well

uysapie
26-02-2023, 01:38 AM
That is why having games in hand has helped Wrexham, if i believe correctly, Chesterfield were playing well when Wrexham were first meant to play them

So has our drawn home games.

Davy500
26-02-2023, 02:03 AM
So has our drawn home games.

Yes i hear you Uysapie

Woodypie
26-02-2023, 02:16 AM
Fair play to the Daggers, they did a number on us. No complaints, we should have won convincingly but they were magnificent in defence. A long way to go but it's in Wrexham's hands now.

Woodypie
26-02-2023, 02:27 AM
The pressure is now on Wrexham, just a pity that Chesterfield on Tuesday now looks an easy game rather than a tricky one. If we carry on playing like we did today, Wrexham won't have much margin for error. I think the pressure is on Notts. We could still be top at end of the season but I have very serious doubts now. No meltdown, keep the pressure on and let's see what happens.

MAD_MAGPIE
26-02-2023, 08:22 AM
The players were gutted at the end as most went to the floor. There was a feeling of shock and disbelief around the ground as to what happened. It was not because we lost the game because we were poor, but how you can dominate, create so many chances, put in so much hard work and effort and not win.

However we (and that includes fans) deal with this emotion and move on ready to start another run next Saturday. There doesn’t need to be a detailed post mortem, criticism of the players or manager or meltdowns. It’s still the best season results wise in living memory and it’s doubtful we will see a season like it again in our lifetimes that’s how incredible it’s been.

Yes the advantage goes to Wrexham as they have two games in hand. But we are still top and they need to win Tuesday. This two horse race is far from over and it needs strong minds and strong characters and supporters to continue to get right behind this team. Let’s not be defeatist or negative but instead focus on and relish the challenge ahead and objective which is to get out of this league and push Wrexham all the way and make them work for it.

The Notts that has won 25 games is still that side and I’m sure the pendulum will swing again back to us because football is full of twists and turns. If it doesn’t and Wrexham ultimately end up matching or bettering our remaining results and end up with more points than us then they will deserve it and we can be proud and confident going into the playoffs. Likewise the same is true if it’s reversed and it’s us that take the title.

Are we ready to come together and get behind the lads for the last eleven games.

Stan Marshall
26-02-2023, 08:47 AM
There’s still everything to play for. Wrexham are now favourites but the pressure is now on them. Didn’t they slip up last season? All we can do is carry on playing as we have recently and see where it takes us. If we have to win through the play offs, we’ll be ready for it and can do it.

IluvNotts
26-02-2023, 08:47 AM

I'm sure Wrexham fans would say they are well overdue some luck after their extended stay in the NL and maybe so but it's a bleddy shame it's arrived this season. The Hollywood hype just makes it worse for us long suffering Notts fans.
Let's face it if Wrexham weren't around we'd have pretty much secured promotion as champions a few weeks back. We're 21 points clear of Woking in 3rd so it would take something really extraordinary to happen for them to challenge us.
Football has a habit of throwing up surprises so it's a shame some posters are saying it's over. There's plenty of time for things to change again. None of us know what's coming, it's all guesswork. Personally I think last night's fluke result will make Notts stronger. I don't expect a collapse. This season under LW Notts have shown real character and there is absolutely no reason why this will change. If Wrexham finish as champions and I accept they're now favourites to do so I still think Notts will get through the playoffs. Notts spell of bad luck showed up last night. Wrexham's blip has yet to arrive, maybe it won't this season we'll have to wait and see. Wrexham and Notts both deserve promotion and I'm confident they'll both achieve it.

maddogslater
26-02-2023, 08:54 AM
Poor defending first half, Poor finishing second is what cost us, I'm resigned to the playoffs.

BanjoPie
26-02-2023, 09:35 AM
Fair play to the Daggers, they did a number on us. No complaints, we should have won convincingly but they were magnificent in defence. A long way to go but it's in Wrexham's hands now.

We needed Scott in the box for all those crosses coming in!

Proactive not Reactive
26-02-2023, 10:08 AM
Yes i hear you Uysapie
But Wrexham could say they would be clear of us if it wasn’t for their away form so it’s 6 of one half a dozen of the other.
I think Wrexham are better at breaking teams down with their old style football of percentages in the box which helps them at home when teams park the bus
We are a better footballing side hence when it turns into a football match when we go away we are better than the rest in most cases
We could argue that we would have won at least a couple of the home draws and last nights defeat if we had been given stonewall penalties and on watching some of Wrexham’s soft penalties it does appear that Hollywood get a better rub of the green

Another one
26-02-2023, 10:12 AM
There’s still everything to play for.
Exactly. It's not worth throwing yourself under a bus just yet.

Sorry Swale.

Proactive not Reactive
26-02-2023, 10:16 AM
The players were gutted at the end as most went to the floor. There was a feeling of shock and disbelief around the ground as to what happened. It was not because we lost the game because we were poor, but how you can dominate, create so many chances, put in so much hard work and effort and not win.

However we (and that includes fans) deal with this emotion and move on ready to start another run next Saturday. There doesn’t need to be a detailed post mortem, criticism of the players or manager or meltdowns. It’s still the best season results wise in living memory and it’s doubtful we will see a season like it again in our lifetimes that’s how incredible it’s been.

Yes the advantage goes to Wrexham as they have two games in hand. But we are still top and they need to win Tuesday. This two horse race is far from over and it needs strong minds and strong characters and supporters to continue to get right behind this team. Let’s not be defeatist or negative but instead focus on and relish the challenge ahead and objective which is to get out of this league and push Wrexham all the way and make them work for it.

The Notts that has won 25 games is still that side and I’m sure the pendulum will swing again back to us because football is full of twists and turns. If it doesn’t and Wrexham ultimately end up matching or bettering our remaining results and end up with more points than us then they will deserve it and we can be proud and confident going into the playoffs. Likewise the same is true if it’s reversed and it’s us that take the title.

Are we ready to come together and get behind the lads for the last eleven games.

Totally agree with this,we will play a lot worse and have and will win so we can’t fault the players.
It will be tough but we are still in it and hopefully will keep our form and confidence if it does come to playoffs
Definitely time for us fans to get behind them more than ever which I don’t think we necessarily do compared to the likes of the Wrexham fans and are very quick to go quiet if things aren’t going our way
The players feel this

Observerpie
26-02-2023, 10:32 AM
The thing that we have got to deal with is breaking teams down that defend in depth, we've seen it a few times at Meadow Lane and it's something we'll probably come up against in the playoffs if we're in them. It's a tactic that can work against us if the opposition has got players good on the break when we commit forward so much.

Magpies1959
26-02-2023, 10:45 AM
It wasn't one of those days at all. We were denied a the most stonewall penalty decision you will ever see. If we score that, Dagenham don't score their breakaway goal, we win end of.

GranthamPie
26-02-2023, 10:54 AM
It wasn't one of those days at all. We were denied a the most stonewall penalty decision you will ever see. If we score that, Dagenham don't score their breakaway goal, we win end of.

^^^^ This

OP67
26-02-2023, 11:26 AM
Still a lot of points to play for, both teams have won 25 and lost 2. The only difference is we've drawn the 2 games in hand that Wrexham have. I can see them drawing a few more games before the end of the season with the "style" of hoof ball they play.

I watched their game against Dorking and to be honest they'd have drawn or lost that game against a better team as Dorking were simply awful yet still had plenty of the ball. Wrexham just kept hoofing it hoping it'll land right for Mullin to fall over. They were pretty devoid of ideas.

We need to up our game if we can and it'll be tight but I still think we have a chance.

Glad2BeAPie
26-02-2023, 11:32 AM
Wrexham Forum on our loss

http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/121612-notts-go-down.html

crazyfists
26-02-2023, 12:19 PM

Agreed with Woody. We did all we could except score, had a terrible performance from both ref and linesman (what's the point in a linesman on that side level with play if he couldn't see that) and also Dagenham played very well in defence. It doesn't feel as bad knowing we didn't let ourselves down. After sleeping on it then yes the title is still on but I just can't see Wrexham dropping enough points unfortunately. Still you never know and proud of the club this season they've been excellent.

Rainbowpie
26-02-2023, 12:22 PM

They are reacting the same as we would if they had slipped up
I missed yesterdays game due to being ill but watched both Wrexham and our games on tv.
I have watched Wrexham about 6 or 7 times on streaming this year and although they have some decent players, i am far from convinced the title is over
Hats off to them for getting results but i can see chesterfield taking points off them on Tuesday
Then it's as you were
Don't give up yet

crazyfists
26-02-2023, 12:28 PM

That was just a mostly annoying read. I and most others on here give Wrexham respect and think they have heart. We can't ever complain about our backing benefitting us and from what I've seen we don't. There's stuff about brown envelopes to refs, nothing I've seen on here alludes to that and no one seriously thinks that. Both clubs know the refs at this level are complete dog **** so that's just the way it is. The only comment I agree with as I've put it myself is the hoofball but that's taken from when they played us which is what they did. Stop crying Wrexham about this and that, alot of Notts fans would be quite happy to see your fans have their time, if you're going off what you read on Facebook then don't as it's full of w@nkers.

It's been a good battle thus far. Have some respect for the run we've given you and the challenge, either team that wins the league has more than deserved it.

crazyfists
26-02-2023, 12:48 PM
And also about the ref, yes he was bad but what does football expect? They moan that there's no good refs coming through but who's going to risk getting assaulted at a Sunday league or kids game on their way up? As Potter said he's criticised for no histrionics then the same people are moaning about refs and saying no one wants to do it. Absolute idiots that are on programmes like match of the day. It's refreshing to see Arsenal going for the title but watching artita for 90mins and the way he carries on is nauseating. It's about time they started really saying to these people you're setting am example for the kids, parents and managers at all levels. Stop acting like a baby and then maybe you might start to see better refs coming up through the system. I like the football in the Premier league but the whole circus around it is a load of crap.

jackal2
26-02-2023, 01:03 PM

True, but the denial of the stonewall penalty in the second half only became relevant because of the avoidable goal we conceded in the first half when we were already in control of the game.

Crap referees are unfortunately par for the course at this level and there's not much we can do about that. We've got to "control the controllables", the key one being defending better and looking to keep more clean sheets. If we do that then this title race isn't over, because Wrexham are also prone to conceding too many goals. Whichever of the two teams is most successful in addressing that defensive weakness over the next few weeks will probably emerge with the title.

WarsopPie
26-02-2023, 01:15 PM
Wouldn’t be surprised if Jones got recalled, Oxfords just sacked there manager and when a new bloke normally comes in they recall all loan players to have a look at them close up.

Glad2BeAPie
26-02-2023, 04:32 PM
Wouldn’t be surprised if Jones got recalled, Oxfords just sacked there manager and when a new bloke normally comes in they recall all loan players to have a look at them close up.
That's if there is a recall option in the loan contract

irishpete
26-02-2023, 05:12 PM
It's that time of the season now when you get strange/unexpected results. Happens every year at the top & bottom. Wouldn't surprise me if Wrexham lost on Tuesday just when they think they are in pole position with games in hand & at home.
The bigger issue is how we respond next Saturday away

OP67
26-02-2023, 08:23 PM
The problem is that "one of those days" has happened a few times this season just when we didn't need them. I notice Wrexham have 4 fairly easy games after we play them against our 3 games. We can do without anymore "one of those days" for the rest of the season. Lets see how we get on against Bromely at the weekend who are no mugs in this league.

1955pie
27-02-2023, 01:35 PM
Agreed with Woody. We did all we could except score, had a terrible performance from both ref and linesman (what's the point in a linesman on that side level with play if he couldn't see that) and also Dagenham played very well in defence. It doesn't feel as bad knowing we didn't let ourselves down. After sleeping on it then yes the title is still on but I just can't see Wrexham dropping enough points unfortunately. Still you never know and proud of the club this season they've been excellent.

They just need to draw just one game more than us. We win at Wrexham and then match them game for game for the rest of the season -happy days.

jackal2
27-02-2023, 01:56 PM
The problem is that "one of those days" has happened a few times this season just when we didn't need them. I notice Wrexham have 4 fairly easy games after we play them against our 3 games. We can do without anymore "one of those days" for the rest of the season. Lets see how we get on against Bromely at the weekend who are no mugs in this league.

Worth reflecting again that we are in surreal situation battling Wrexham.

After 35 games in our record-breaking 1997/98 Division Three/League Two championship winning campaign under Sam Allardyce, we had 75 points after 35 games, giving us a double-figure lead over the chasing pack. After 35 games this season we've got 83 points!

I understand the anxiety and frustration caused by playing in a league with only one automatic promotion place and freak opponent, but when we/you say "one of those days has happened a few times this season", the reality is that we've never had fewer of "those days" in living memory, if not in history.

This Notts County team, for the level we're playing at, is phenomenal.

1955pie
27-02-2023, 02:02 PM
Worth reflecting again that we are in surreal situation battling Wrexham.

After 35 games in our record-breaking 1997/98 Division Three/League Two championship winning campaign under Sam Allardyce, we had 75 points after 35 games, giving us a double-figure lead over the chasing pack. After 35 games this season we've got 83 points!

I understand the anxiety and frustration caused by playing in a league with only one automatic promotion place and freak opponent, but when we/you say "one of those days has happened a few times this season", the reality is that we've never had fewer of "those days" in living memory, if not in history.

This Notts County team, for the level we're playing at, is phenomenal.

Agree 100%

MancMagpie
27-02-2023, 05:21 PM
To be fair, Wrexham are favourites and always have been. It's only because we're so good that the league title is getting pushed this far.

They've been down here 15 seasons or something like that, so it's about time they went up and it would make an interesting L2 with us there as well.

I hope we both go up, as deserved. I just dont think I could handle it if Chesterfield did. In place of us, or Wrexham.

Anyway. The only thing we need to watch out for is the title going down to the last couple of games. I think it's been mentioned on a few occasions. If Wrexham get quite far ahead, we should just concentrate on keeping everyone fit and focused. The last thing we need is last day doom.

PedroTheFisherman66
27-02-2023, 05:44 PM
To be fair, Wrexham are favourites and always have been. It's only because we're so good that the league title is getting pushed this far.

They've been down here 15 seasons or something like that, so it's about time they went up and it would make an interesting L2 with us there as well.

I hope we both go up, as deserved. I just dont think I could handle it if Chesterfield did. In place of us, or Wrexham.

Anyway. The only thing we need to watch out for is the title going down to the last couple of games. I think it's been mentioned on a few occasions. If Wrexham get quite far ahead, we should just concentrate on keeping everyone fit and focused. The last thing we need is last day doom.

The last paragraph on this for me.If we are left behind in the chase for the title then it would give LW a great opportunity to rest his desired formation/players and try out some new party tricks for the semi and hopefully final...let's not treat it as disaster but a fantastic opportunity to refocus and prepare for such games of importance. A rare opportunity to have such a luxury in these circumstances.
Let's not forget we have been fantastic this season and can beat any team put in front of us and have done so for the majority of the season, the odds are that this is unlikely to change in a winner takes all combination of games!!