PDA

View Full Version : Clarets Mad - Clarets v Fishermen Match Preview.

The Bedlington Terrier
27-02-2023, 04:11 PM
Up for the Cup!

Clarets Mad - Clarets v Fishermen Match Preview.

Venue: Turf Moor, Harry Potts Way, Burnley, BB10 4BX.

FA Cup – 5th round.

Kick-off – 19.30 – Wednesday 1st March 2023.

By anyone’s stretch of the imagination this one has all the ingredients for one heck of a FA Cup game. 1500 Cod Army fans are expected to be in the Cricket Field End to cheer on the Fisherman on Wednesday night to try and witness what would be a major cup upset.

Burnley play host to Fleetwood Town for the first ever game between the two teams at Turf Moor and a place in the Quarterfinals of the FA Cup is up for grabs for the winning team. A huge financial windfall is also in the offing for the winners of this game with all sorts of possible opponents in the next round.

Burnley are the runaway Championship leaders but that will not stop former Glasgow Celtic and Scotland icon and now Fleetwood manager Scott Brown from attempting to pull off a major shock in the FA Cup. The bookies are offering odds of 10/1 for the Fishermen to do just that.

The Clarets go into the game following a 4-0 rout of Huddersfield Town on Saturday while Fleetwood squeezed past local rivals Morecambe in a narrow and hard fought 1-0 home win. Their current form is better than reasonable, having won 4 and won one and drawn one of their last six fixtures.

It’s also worth mentioning the Fishermen overcame League One leaders Sheffield Wednesday to earn the right to play against the in-form Clarets at Turf Moor. Burnley earned their place after beating Ipswich Town in a hard-fought replay with Nathan Tella grabbing a last-ditch winner against the Tractor Boys from Suffolk.

One’s to watch: For Fleetwood Town the delightfully named Promise Omochere poses a threat and defender Shaun Rooney is Fleetwood’s top scorer this season with six goals and three assists.

For the Clarets it really is a case of take your pick. Ashley Barnes’ recent performances make him a serious goal threat, new boy Michael Obafemi is making his mark, Nathan Tella and Annas Zaroury are becoming almost unplayable, and goals are coming from right across the team. The Clarets are the football league’s current leading scorers with a staggering 68 goals to date and they are not conceding many goals either.

On the injury front for the Clarets Jay Rodriguez and Manuel Benson continue to struggle and may well be given some extra time to get ready for the Championship title run in.

Verdict: A Lancashire derby, a night match, visitors from the seaside and two teams hungry for FA Cup success should provide a great evening’s entertainment but I think Vincent Kompany’s Clarets team will prove to be too much for the Fishermen and the Cod Army. I’m going for a harum-scarum 3-1 home win, and a place in the FA Cup Quarter Finals for the Clarets.

Footnote: Despite my confident prediction of a Burnley home win the phenomenon that is “Magic of the FA Cup” can never be discounted. Fleetwood gaffer Scott Brown says leading Fleetwood Town to the FA Cup fifth round for the first time in their entire history has given his side the chance to establish a "legacy" at the club. It’s also worthy of caution for Burnley boss Vincent Kompany that Brown’s team came from behind to see off Championship team Queens Park Rangers in the third round.

FA Cup runs must end somewhere, and Fortress Turf Moor might just be the place where the Fishermen will come unstuck.

An opinion and post from The Editor’s Chair – Clarets Mad.

kritichris
27-02-2023, 04:29 PM
How do you like your cod army88, grilled or battered?

Swissclaret
27-02-2023, 06:37 PM
Good preview BT. A veritable banana skin. Past Burnley sides have, on many occasions, slipped up. The nightmare of Wimbledon still haunts me.

I think this squad is a different kettle of fish. They will dominate possession whoever plays. The movement and range of passing will be too much for Fleetwood. Whilst it may not be the goal-fest that some are expecting, I think that we will have a comfortable 3-0 result.

I am more concerned about injuries. I do not know how physical they are. At their level it might be a bit brutal. We can do without any serious injuries going into this phase of the season.

Untinted Glasses
27-02-2023, 08:08 PM
*fisherpersons

sinkov
27-02-2023, 08:45 PM
"Their current form is better than reasonable, having won 4 and won one and drawn one of their last six fixtures."

That's not wrong, but wouldn't it have been easier to say, 'Won 5 and drawn one' ? :?

Norder
27-02-2023, 09:41 PM
"Their current form is better than reasonable, having won 4 and won one and drawn one of their last six fixtures."

That's not wrong, but wouldn't it have been easier to say, 'Won 5 and drawn one' ? :?

I thinks the lone "one" would be the cup match v SW, who it looks as if gave their second string a run out, concentrating on promotion perhaps.

their last game (2 days ago) was beating 20th placed Morecambe - 1-0

;D

The Bedlington Terrier
28-02-2023, 08:07 AM

Who edits the editor mon ami? ;D

Claret_Matelot
28-02-2023, 08:15 AM
As VK would say.... "They are 35 places below us". The form we are in at home we will give them a 'Battering'.

The Bedlington Terrier
28-02-2023, 08:31 AM
As VK would say.... "They are 35 places below us". The form we are in at home we will give them a 'Battering'.

I was going to write I think we will put the Cod Army in their plaice but I thought it sounded a bit corny. :D

sinkov
28-02-2023, 08:45 AM
Who edits the editor mon ami? ;D

i like it anyway, never use one word when two will do.:)