PDA

View Full Version : Short corners are useless.

LaxtonLad
12-03-2023, 07:41 AM
What's the point in these short corners we keep taking when then enemy defenders stand so close? I've yet to see one leading to a shot on goal or even a cross and it usually leads to a back pass to the half-way line. As a tactic it just ain't working. Yesterday Dorking had that one easily blunted, as did Daggers and Redders in the previous game, it ain't working so stop it!

I must admit though yesterday the ref allowed two or three of Dorkings defenders to stand well within the five or ten yard (or whatever) distance markers. Seeing then, that three defenders were out of the penalty area and so were not defending there, it would have made sense to take a proper man's corner into the box.

Robertomac
12-03-2023, 07:58 AM
Agreed. More often than not, the ball ends up back in our half. That said, it's clearly about just keeping possession, and traditional corners are 50/50 in that respect. I also think corners are overrated in general.

kill_the_drum
12-03-2023, 08:01 AM
If you were to right down our weaknesses as a team, two of them would be aerial ability in an attacking sense and being caught on the break.
One of our greatest strengths is keeping possession.
I read a stat that only 6% of goals are scored from corners and 3% are scored breaking from an opposing corner.
All things considered, I can see exactly why we don’t put the ball in the box.

queenslandpie
12-03-2023, 08:45 AM
If you were to right down our weaknesses as a team, two of them would be aerial ability in an attacking sense and being caught on the break.
I read a stat that only 6% of goals are scored from corners and 3% are scored breaking from an opposing corner.

I read 5% somewhere but we all get the drift. They are frustrating, but the main reason for that is that you, like me are used to corners being hammered into the box. Which would be entirely pointless not just mainly pointless. It was particularly bad though against Dorking as we had so many. Jones play in the first half I would imagine won a lot of corners although I was not counting. He would do better to take on his man a little more and get some free kicks at worst in good areas.

drillerpie
12-03-2023, 08:46 AM

I can also see why we don't as we don't pose much of an aerial threat, but watching Wrexham be successful from set pieces makes me wish we had more of a valid alternative.

queenslandpie
12-03-2023, 08:49 AM
I can also see why we don't as we don't pose much of an aerial threat, but watching Wrexham be successful from set pieces makes me wish we had more of a valid alternative.

That's just the way Parkinson plays. He's always played that way. Now he has fantastic players for the division who play that way. In another division he might get them relegated. Ultimately it's dinosaur football.

Proactive not Reactive
12-03-2023, 08:58 AM
What's the point in these short corners we keep taking when then enemy defenders stand so close? I've yet to see one leading to a shot on goal or even a cross and it usually leads to a back pass to the half-way line. As a tactic it just ain't working. Yesterday Dorking had that one easily blunted, as did Daggers and Redders in the previous game, it ain't working so stop it!

I must admit though yesterday the ref allowed two or three of Dorkings defenders to stand well within the five or ten yard (or whatever) distance markers. Seeing then, that three defenders were out of the penalty area and so were not defending there, it would have made sense to take a proper man's corner into the box.
Laxton Lad dig out Luke Williams pre-match interview where he is asked about corners.
Basically he made the decision to take short corners because statistically the percentage of goals from corners is very low so imagine it like 5 a side indoor and it’s bouncing off the back wall so always in play,think that’s how to view it
Think we perhaps need to vary it as a bit of a shock element as we are very predictable although think the officials could have helped us a little bit last night by making sure Dorking were 10 yds away

Proactive not Reactive
12-03-2023, 09:01 AM

Think the getting caught on the break is because of our dominance on the ball, a bit more pace in the back 3 aka Brindley would help that

Magpies1959
12-03-2023, 10:15 AM
Lol what the **** is a proper man's corner.

Glad2BeAPie
12-03-2023, 11:04 AM
We don't ever look like scoring or even come close to it, whichever way we take corners

Carlton_Pie
12-03-2023, 11:10 AM
We don't ever look like scoring or even come close to it, whichever way we take corners

93 goals this season might say differently.

We play short free kicks, so why wouldn't play short corners too? It's all part of LW plan to dominate the ball and make the opposition run to tire them out. Keeping the ball in play prevents them having a rest with a stop start game with plenty of breaks in play.

Glad2BeAPie
12-03-2023, 11:23 AM
93 goals this season might say differently.

We play short free kicks, so why wouldn't play short corners too? It's all part of LW plan to dominate the ball and make the opposition run to tire them out. Keeping the ball in play prevents them having a rest with a stop start game with plenty of breaks in play.
93 goals from corners really. Be an interesting stat on how many goals have come direct from corners.
Over to the stats people

LaughingMagpie
12-03-2023, 11:24 AM
I can also see why we don't as we don't pose much of an aerial threat.
You're quite right. We don't have a big man to aim at which begs the question as to why Brooks kept hoofing the ball up the field and losing possession on most occasions

sidders
12-03-2023, 11:24 AM
Jones is the ideal player for short corners but his cute little touches will only be effective if the ref enforces the 10 metre rule.

i961pie
12-03-2023, 11:59 AM
Short corners are fine but let's have a bit of variation now and again, surely we can work out a few moves on the training pitch.
The other thing that bugs me about them is how much time we take over them, we moan about the opposition wasting time and please let someone else take throws instead of Nemane, he takes ages to throw the damn thing.

Jeekay56
12-03-2023, 12:04 PM
Jones is the ideal player for short corners but his cute little touches will only be effective if the ref enforces the 10 metre rule.

It's 9.15 metres!

laddo
12-03-2023, 12:06 PM
When you score 93 goals in total personally I don't care how many or more accurately how few come from corners. The overall approach is clearly working and feels wrong to complain too loudly about set pieces.

I understand why we go short every time, peak Barca were famous for it, I also agree it would be nice to mix it up a little with some put in at pace (as we did once yesterday) but when we got a corner last night I looked in the box and thought who's the genuine threat? Bajrami, yup. Rawlinson , clearly but mystifyingly he was kept back on the half way line as one of two. Can't work that one out. Regardless especially with Scott out we had next to nobody to aim at in there. Even fewer than normal.

MarcusCole
12-03-2023, 12:11 PM
The perpetual short corners annoy me also, they crowd the corner of the pitch with sometimes 3 players to get the ball early. There is another option that doesn't involve lumping it into the box, how about a long pass to one of our players. If they did that they might just get a player in space.

countygump
12-03-2023, 12:15 PM
The perpetual short corners annoy me also, they crowd the corner of the pitch with sometimes 3 players to get the ball early. There is another option that doesn't involve lumping it into the box, how about a long pass to one of our players. If they did that they might just get a player in space.

This^^^ Long pass to a defender "ghosting" into the edge of the box or a hard knee height ball drilled in into the 5.4864 metre box.

jackal2
12-03-2023, 12:55 PM
Short corners are fine but let's have a bit of variation now and again, surely we can work out a few moves on the training pitch.

This.

Most teams take a short corner every so often to mix things up, but we're doing it almost every time and it is becoming predictable, as demonstrated by the tactics now being employed by opponents to shut us down.

The whole idea of winning a corner is essentially to be able to put an unchallenged cross into the box, and I think the quality of the delivery matters far more than the height in the penalty area. I can remember many Notts teams in the past that had plenty of height, but nobody with the quality to deliver a decent corner or cross, so our goal output was low. Right now we've players like Jones, Rodrigues and Bostock who are all capable of delivering good quality balls into the box, and we've got arguably the sharpest "fox in the box" in the country, so we shouldn't be too shy to put it in the mixer a bit more often, which will have the added bonus of keeping opponents guessing.

Carlton_Pie
12-03-2023, 02:09 PM
You're quite right. We don't have a big man to aim at which begs the question as to why Brooks kept hoofing the ball up the field and losing possession on most occasions

LW explained this in his post match interview. Dorking went man for man 2nd half and playing longer was the best % play as our attackers were 4v4 at the top end of the pitch

the_anticlough
12-03-2023, 02:22 PM
I like the thinking about the corners, but not the execution. Plus it's mind-numbingly dull each time to see us appeal to the ref about the 10-yard encroachment....

When I think of great short corners I think Kenny Dalglish around 1980...either taking or receiving, not short or long corners but canny passes into the box, back or around the angle of the box.
We should be seeing some interesting variations. If not, it's reduced to just voluntarily trapping ourselves in a corner of the pitch. Corners come from something attacking or promising, we can't then turn that into diddly squat and an argument about what 10 yards is about 10 times a game.

for*sttown63
12-03-2023, 02:24 PM
Lol what the **** is a proper man's corner.

Here’s a few….with one finished off by a proper legend!😊 https://youtu.be/WyqTlRl1VNE

1955pie
14-03-2023, 01:32 PM

Makes me worried about defending them against Wrexham.

BigFatPie
14-03-2023, 02:07 PM
Our approach to corners makes me think we’re more worried about the counter attack than we are scoring from them. The two Dagenham goals show this is a valid concern, would be lovely to score from one soon though.

drillerpie
14-03-2023, 02:09 PM

Yeah. Just better hope Rawlo is on his game for that one.

durhampie
14-03-2023, 04:27 PM
The other thing that bugs me about them is how much time we take over them, we moan about the opposition wasting time and please let someone else take throws instead of Nemane, he takes ages to throw the damn thing.

Why we let him take throw-ins in the first place is a mystery, because he cant throw it..

Proactive not Reactive
14-03-2023, 04:29 PM
He was targeting the diagonal ball towards their right back which wasn’t successful until CLE came on and him and Bostock started winning headers and giving us control again
LW explained that they pressed us to stop us playing out and left 4 defenders v 4 of our attackers.
A lot of people complained especially with IB style that we didn’t have a plan B and we carried out the same tactics second half v Wrexham at home - the key to it is winning the 2nd ball and then being able to play our football further up the pitch

Notts78
14-03-2023, 05:17 PM

Dont recall too many times we have conceded from set pieces. Wrexham are not the only team to be tall in this league.
Plus if we have the ball 80% (wishful thinking) of the game then hopefully their 20% will be taking goal kicks in their half.

jacobncfc
14-03-2023, 05:58 PM
Dont recall too many times we have conceded from set pieces. Wrexham are not the only team to be tall in this league.
Plus if we have the ball 80% (wishful thinking) of the game then hopefully there 20% will be taking goal kicks in there half.

We’ve conceded the fewest goals from set pieces in the division. Some improvement from last season.

Dunno how I feel about the short corners really. Can be frustrating but we’re a short team with only really Cameron who you feel is an attacking threat in the air when the opposition is set, so it makes sense. Our goals come from shifting the angle of delivery etc so Langstaff and others can find space, but it’s annoying when it doesn’t work. Guess you can’t quantify how many goals we’ve scored from ‘keeping the pressure on’ playing it short, but never feels like we’re much of a threat when we do swing them into the box tbh.

countygump
14-03-2023, 06:17 PM
Our approach to corners makes me think we’re more worried about the counter attack than we are scoring from them. The two Dagenham goals show this is a valid concern, would be lovely to score from one soon though.

This^^^

I've also had the feeling it's more about retaining possession and preventing a quick break.

The_Don_ORiordan
14-03-2023, 09:33 PM

That’ll do