PDA

View Full Version : The 8 Cup finals

arab777
02-04-2023, 01:12 PM
Got our last out of reach game out the way every game now to end of the season should be competitive. Killie have tough games coming up. Need to keep within 3 point going in to split as we should be advantaged having Killie and Ross County as our home games.

Before the split

United

Hibs (H)
Motherwell (A)
Livingston (H)

Ross County

St Johnstone (A)
Aberdeen (H)
Hearts (A)

Killie

Aberdeen (A)
Celtic (H)
St Mirren (A)

Shedboy_Shimmy
02-04-2023, 02:25 PM
Got our last out of reach game out the way every game now to end of the season should be competitive. Killie have tough games coming up. Need to keep within 3 point going in to split as we should be advantaged having Killie and Ross County as our home games.

Before the split

United

Hibs (H)
Motherwell (A)
Livingston (H)

Ross County

St Johnstone (A)
Aberdeen (H)
Hearts (A)

Killie

Aberdeen (A)
Celtic (H)
St Mirren (A)

By the split we’ll have played Kilmarnock, Ross County, AND Motherwell away twice and just once at Home.
We’re only due 2 home games post-split. County are the same. Kilmarnock should have 3 games at home.

Put your mortgage on us being away to Kilmarnock post-split.
(first game after the split would be my bet)

shedka
02-04-2023, 04:49 PM
By the split we’ll have played Kilmarnock, Ross County, AND Motherwell away twice and just once at Home.
We’re only due 2 home games post-split. County are the same. Kilmarnock should have 3 games at home.

It really should be Motherwell or County away for a third time, we had to go to Rugby Park three times in our first season back up (covid closed doors season) which should be taken into account

Shedboy_Shimmy
02-04-2023, 05:17 PM
It really should be Motherwell or County away for a third time, we had to go to Rugby Park three times in our first season back up (covid closed doors season) which should be taken into account

Yes, the 3 games at Rugby Park in the Micky Mellon season SHOULD be taken into account.
I’d be surprised if we get to play Kilmarnock at Tannadice again this season though.

tHeArAb
02-04-2023, 06:07 PM
What happened in previous seasons has nothing to do with what happens this season though.

pertharab
02-04-2023, 07:09 PM
What happened in previous seasons has nothing to do with what happens this season though.

Up to point they do. When they end up with the unbalanced seasons 20:18 or 18:20 after the split the League take into account whether a team has benefitted or lost out to this compared with the other teams. No reason why it shouldn't work out the same re us going to Killie again.

tHeArAb
02-04-2023, 07:29 PM
Up to point they do. When they end up with the unbalanced seasons 20:18 or 18:20 after the split the League take into account whether a team has benefitted or lost out to this compared with the other teams. No reason why it shouldn't work out the same re us going to Killie again.

We've had a balanced post split home/away ratio over the years, I agree. I don't think the SPFL go into specific club vs club fixtures though.

LSArab
02-04-2023, 08:09 PM
We really need Killie and Ross Co at home 🤞

Come on United

Time for the Great Escape

Chick A Saw
02-04-2023, 09:33 PM

Before the split

United

Hibs (H)
Motherwell (A)
Livingston (H)

Ross County

St Johnstone (A)
Aberdeen (H)
Hearts (A)

Killie

Aberdeen (A)
Celtic (H)
St Mirren (A)

Our 5 wins this season, Killie, Ross County, Aberdeen, Hibs (H) and St Johnstone (A). To win the 4 of these play we again would be a nice start.

Looking at that fixture list to the split with my head, i dont see us getting any points, County 2 points and Killie all 3 at the Midden. Heart says we hit Hibs at the right time again, Butcher does us a favour in the Well game and Livi continue their current run to the end of the season to hand us the 6 points that will save us. So is 15 points enough out of the 24?

But our big factor is the keeper who not only has a howler up his sleeve, also cannot stop the simplest of chances that end up within his reach.

tHeArAb
02-04-2023, 09:53 PM
Our 5 wins this season, Killie, Ross County, Aberdeen, Hibs (H) and St Johnstone (A). To win the 4 of these play we again would be a nice start.

Looking at that fixture list to the split with my head, i dont see us getting any points, County 2 points and Killie all 3 at the Midden. Heart says we hit Hibs at the right time again, Butcher does us a favour in the Well game and Livi continue their current run to the end of the season to hand us the 6 points that will save us. So is 15 points enough out of the 24?

But our big factor is the keeper who not only has a howler up his sleeve, also cannot stop the simplest of chances that end up within his reach.

Would take some freak result for Killie to win in Paisley.

Chick A Saw
02-04-2023, 10:45 PM

Its gonna take some freak results for us to survive, but lets not allow that to take our eyes off the ball of our survival for which failure is the most likely outcome for now.

To start off, i think the first of 3 freak results has to occur next Sunday!

tHeArAb
02-04-2023, 10:49 PM
Its gonna take some freak results for us to survive, but lets not allow that to take our eyes off the ball of our survival for which failure is the most likely outcome for now.

To start off, i think the first of 3 freak results has to occur next Sunday!

We've already beaten them at Tannadice though and are unbeaten against them this season, so not as much of a freak result as you may think.

PT_Arab
03-04-2023, 07:17 AM
Unbeaten against them but the last time we played them we were on semi decent form:

4-0 win v Kilmarnock
1-0 defeat at Pittodrie
2-2 draw v Hearts (unlucky not to win)
3-0 win v Ross County
1-0 win v St Johnstone (first and only away win of the season to date)
2-0 defeat v Sevco

And we had Levitt and Middleton offering some sort of attacking threat - we don't have that now.

It was just after that the wheels well and truly fell off. Trust me, any win for us WOULD be a freak result right now.

arab777
03-04-2023, 09:18 AM

Sometimes it is unavoidable having to end up playing a team 3 times away from home. I dont expect it will be Killie though for one reason - things are so tight between us, Killie and Ross County in relegation fight they will avoid that imbalance in head to heads between the 3 clubs. The disadvantaged fixture will more likely be Motherwell. The SPFL have always kept Celtic and Rangers away from the the 3 away games scenario with each other because they understand they are usually in a title fight.

tHeArAb
03-04-2023, 11:11 AM
Unbeaten against them but the last time we played them we were on semi decent form:

4-0 win v Kilmarnock
1-0 defeat at Pittodrie
2-2 draw v Hearts (unlucky not to win)
3-0 win v Ross County
1-0 win v St Johnstone (first and only away win of the season to date)
2-0 defeat v Sevco

And we had Levitt and Middleton offering some sort of attacking threat - we don't have that now.

It was just after that the wheels well and truly fell off. Trust me, any win for us WOULD be a freak result right now.
Yeah, and their form was equally as good as ours. We also beat them in October with them on the back of four wins on the bounce. This time they've lost three on bounce with us having two draws and a defeat to the Huns.

tHeArAb
03-04-2023, 11:13 AM
Sometimes it is unavoidable having to end up playing a team 3 times away from home. I dont expect it will be Killie though for one reason - things are so tight between us, Killie and Ross County in relegation fight they will avoid that imbalance in head to heads between the 3 clubs. The disadvantaged fixture will more likely be Motherwell. The SPFL have always kept Celtic and Rangers away from the the 3 away games scenario with each other because they understand they are usually in a title fight.

Was there not a big imbalance last season in the race for the European spot? I seem to remember one of Well or County getting sh*t on.

offshore_arab83
03-04-2023, 11:51 AM
we're ****ed and have been since last october

here we are....

Shedboy_Shimmy
03-04-2023, 12:57 PM

I truly hope that you’re right.

I just don’t think this will be a consideration cos it’s Dundee United, and not the erse cheeks.

PT_Arab
03-04-2023, 01:17 PM
Yeah, and their form was equally as good as ours. We also beat them in October with them on the back of four wins on the bounce. This time they've lost three on bounce with us having two draws and a defeat to the Huns.

Aye, could be interesting. Hopefully we show up with the right attitude and take the game to them from early on. This is perhaps verging on a new match thread now for this coming weekend…?

Yeats 62
03-04-2023, 01:45 PM
I have no idea who chooses how the fixtures are set, whether it is a fair tombola, or whether other fixtures come in to consideration. One thing I can guarantee though is....if the west coast mafia have any influence whatsoever... we are well and truly FCUKED...

Mecca_Sheikh
03-04-2023, 03:01 PM
I've said we've been ****ed since August.

It's only gotten worse.

It has been the top of the Club that has created a negative space, but it is the players who have ultimately destroyed us this season.

JUSTaway
03-04-2023, 03:28 PM
It's been recruitment, abysmal keepers, not replacing Fuchs, butcher, getting rid of Clark and watt and replacing them with no one. Flawed right through spine of the side. I imagine the players when they got back with the pack in see December/Jan were thinking now when are the reinforcements arriving. Can also imagine when our keeper keeps conceding the sort of routine shots ours does, the whole morale just sinks even lower.

Chick A Saw
03-04-2023, 03:35 PM
I've said we've been ****ed since August.

It's only gotten worse.

It has been the top of the Club that has created a negative space, but it is the players who have ultimately destroyed us this season.

Unlike the previous doon season when i thought we were doon by September, i have not yet given up hope that there is something that can change to save us. 3 big games ahead, lets get this fecking done!

Orjan11
03-04-2023, 04:40 PM
8 cup finals to save our season. It has been a disastrous season so far, especially as it promised so much at the start. However, this is our team and there is still hope, and we live in hope starting with the next game.
For these remaining games, we the supporters must come and give full support to our team home and away; get right behind the team, and maybe we will avoid the drop.
Come on United.

Yeats 62
03-04-2023, 04:41 PM
We can talk all day about various players etc. But........... The reason we ended up where we did last season was Benji. Lost count of the crucial saves he made in loads of games.

The team we have now, is no better or worse than last season, but strikers score goals, and keepers make saves. (well, apert fae oorz)

Chick A Saw
03-04-2023, 06:02 PM
We can talk all day about various players etc. But........... The reason we ended up where we did last season was Benji. Lost count of the crucial saves he made in loads of games.

The team we have now, is no better or worse than last season, but strikers score goals, and keepers make saves. (well, apert fae oorz)

You surely cannot hand on heart say that the team is no worse than last season. Carson, Benji, Clark, Butcher, Watt all allowed to depart, Graham and Mulgrew hardly featuring with Fletcher and Ayina thankfully the only ones to really show some semblance of a replacement for players lost. Then bringing in some utter garbage in the most important position while apparently missing out on a decent keeper is exactly why we are here.

Still wondering why ive not yet given up hope!

Yeats 62
03-04-2023, 06:31 PM
You surely cannot hand on heart say that the team is no worse than last season. Carson, Benji, Clark, Butcher, Watt all allowed to depart, Graham and Mulgrew hardly featuring with Fletcher and Ayina thankfully the only ones to really show some semblance of a replacement for players lost. Then bringing in some utter garbage in the most important position while apparently missing out on a decent keeper is exactly why we are here.

Still wondering why ive not yet given up hope!

I get what your saying yeah, fair point. (but... there is a but) :)

But............ there were loads of folk moanin' about Clark not scoring enough ( played out of position, true) Butcher being better as a centre half. (not happy playing there, too close to Benji obviously) and as for Watt , his attitude absolutely stinks. I honestly don't think the pool of players we have now is much worser (sic) than last season. (keeper aside)

I can't honestly say I will put my hand on my heart when discussing United , coz it might be beating a wee bit fest these days just thinking about it, and I don't want to keel ower jist yit.. :)

weegiearab
03-04-2023, 09:32 PM
..and here is where the problem lies! Football is not a game about individuals, it's about building a team, it's about creating partnerships. Our recruitment has been abysmal. Butcher, Watt, Benji, Clark...they should have all been pretty simple to get improvements in. You ask Levitt what he needs to play his best football...and you find a player that suits. You ask Fletcher what suits his type of play...and you go and get it in. The warning signs should have been there since we tried to kill Lawrence Shanklands career when we didn't get the players around him to create the chances...if you don't get the right balance and partnerships...you will never get a team. Andy Webster and Gary Kenneth being a good example . Kenneth was never the greatest footballer but with the partnership that he formed with Webster, he went on to play a key part in that united team. Recruitment these days looks like its a game of football manager where you only look at stats and not the player.

TerryTheTerror
04-04-2023, 06:51 AM
You make an incredibly complicated thing sound easy but it's not. You are right though, recruitment has let us down big time. We have some good individuals in the team but we don't have a team and the goalkeeper, urg.

weegiearab
04-04-2023, 01:26 PM
...it is though! Livi can do it on a much smaller budget.....St Mirren can do it on a much smaller budget...in fact most teams in the league can do it with a much smaller budget! Our signings and the January transfer window have shown that the staff we have in charge of recruitment, are not up to standard! The goalkeeping situation is the biggest headscrather....we have a poor keeper....so we got rid of the only competition that he has and made him a certain starter every week! Someone should have been sacked for that bit of business!

weegiearab
04-04-2023, 01:29 PM
Tifoney from Partick, the striker from Ayr and Scott Bain on loan from Celtic.

Shedboy_Shimmy
05-04-2023, 02:50 PM
Tifoney from Partick, the striker from Ayr and Scott Bain on loan from Celtic.

Next Season’s Shopping List WeegieArab?

weegiearab
05-04-2023, 05:18 PM
..should have been this Januarys shopping list but big Tony lost it down the back of the couch!

TerryTheTerror
05-04-2023, 05:24 PM
Be great if we could get another keeper in...

ahlltanyirhide
05-04-2023, 05:57 PM

Yes, but when yir on the cheeks of yir erse suddenly everything is phukkin freaky, wouldn’t surprise me at all if teams near us start beating the bigot brothers >:)

stokearab
05-04-2023, 06:38 PM
We need to beat Hibs. One win and the mood will change slightly. But first we need to do it.

Arabs4ever
05-04-2023, 07:02 PM
..and here is where the problem lies! Football is not a game about individuals, it's about building a team, it's about creating partnerships. Our recruitment has been abysmal. Butcher, Watt, Benji, Clark...they should have all been pretty simple to get improvements in. You ask Levitt what he needs to play his best football...and you find a player that suits. You ask Fletcher what suits his type of play...and you go and get it in. The warning signs should have been there since we tried to kill Lawrence Shanklands career when we didn't get the players around him to create the chances...if you don't get the right balance and partnerships...you will never get a team. Andy Webster and Gary Kenneth being a good example . Kenneth was never the greatest footballer but with the partnership that he formed with Webster, he went on to play a key part in that united team. Recruitment these days looks like its a game of football manager where you only look at stats and not the player.

Yet TA thoughts were very much like the snakes. Buy cheap then hope to cash in on them. If it was that phuckin easy everyone would be doing it. First and foremost you should live within your means. That means paying wages that you can afford with no outside help. Players are aplenty it is just our recruitment and Revolution taking their cut that stinks to high heaven. As mentioned above you need to coach the players to play as a team. United look alright on paper, when they get on grass or plastic they are absolutely honking.

weegiearab
05-04-2023, 08:00 PM
To state that we were trying to get players in that were out of our price range..but at the same time taking players in on trial that have youtube clips of them playing in a tattie field in some war torn country! There are plenty players in the championship that could have done a job for us without breaking the bank. The whole thing stinks!

JUSTaway
05-04-2023, 09:27 PM

Yeap. I've had quite a few supporters of other teams say to me they are surprised we are down there and that we have some decent players, but as I say to them, we have some decent (not brilliant) players, but an abysmal squad. First team definitely not the sum of its parts. No defensive mids to protect defence and push Levitt further forward, no foil for Fletcher etc... and of course you add to that Spaghetti Birighitti.

bannon_ftd_83
05-04-2023, 09:39 PM
Ive written and deleted several posts on several threads in the last couple of weeks or so, I just can't muster up the energy for our club anymore. The transfer window is the single worst transfer window in our history. I would pay mega bucks to see a fly-on-the-wall documentary of how our club was being run and, in particular, our transfer dealings of the last window.

Regarding the keeper, surely we are still looking and surely in the big world out there there is a keeper that could come in and save shots that go directly at him.

Whether its someone retired as a coach or someone who is sitting at home doing nothing but going to the gym for his fitness. Honestly he doesn't really even need to be that fit, just a competent goalkeeper, if it doesn't work, then so be it but id rather take a risk with almost anyone else other than Newman of course(who looks equally as ****e). The club should speaking to everyone and anyone that has contact for this sort of player but honestly i doubt they are.

Shedboy_Shimmy
05-04-2023, 10:27 PM
..should have been this Januarys shopping list but big Tony lost it down the back of the couch!

Add Savoury from Queens Park to that list. Club should have been looking at him as well. Cracking player.

Big Fat Thieving Tony has proper shafted us, that’s for certain.

Arabdownsouth
06-04-2023, 04:37 AM
Ive written and deleted several posts on several threads in the last couple of weeks or so, I just can't muster up the energy for our club anymore. The transfer window is the single worst transfer window in our history. I would pay mega bucks to see a fly-on-the-wall documentary of how our club was being run and, in particular, our transfer dealings of the last window.

Regarding the keeper, surely we are still looking and surely in the big world out there there is a keeper that could come in and save shots that go directly at him.

Whether its someone retired as a coach or someone who is sitting at home doing nothing but going to the gym for his fitness. Honestly he doesn't really even need to be that fit, just a competent goalkeeper, if it doesn't work, then so be it but id rather take a risk with almost anyone else other than Newman of course(who looks equally as ****e). The club should speaking to everyone and anyone that has contact for this sort of player but honestly i doubt they are.

Failing that, a great big fat b@stard who can at least get in the way of shots directly down the middle of the goal. I empathise completely mate. This season has been f@cking draining and that January window will never be forgotten.

NOSCOTCAPS
06-04-2023, 05:59 AM
Failing that, a great big fat b@stard who can at least get in the way of shots directly down the middle of the goal. I empathise completely mate. This season has been f@cking draining and that January window will never be forgotten.

Like the big fat bloke that knocked us out of the cup v hits a few years back!

JUSTaway
06-04-2023, 01:38 PM
The tifoney guy has been at thistle a few years now and nobody else has come in for him either, so maybe clubs have scouted him regular and just not convinced.

tHeArAb
06-04-2023, 02:23 PM
The tifoney guy has been at thistle a few years now and nobody else has come in for him either, so maybe clubs have scouted him regular and just not convinced.

Same with the guy fae Ayr. I don't think his all round game is up to much. He gets away with it in the lower leagues though because he knows where the net is.

weegiearab
06-04-2023, 02:47 PM
..a striker that can only score goals. You are right...who would want that! Let's get McNulty back for his build up play!

weegiearab
06-04-2023, 02:48 PM
All hypothetical though...the Ayr United boy will be out of our price range now!

Whitfieldarab
06-04-2023, 03:43 PM
Same with the guy fae Ayr. I don't think his all round game is up to much. He gets away with it in the lower leagues though because he knows where the net is.

Ye agree. Brian Graham was that same type.

FTFun
06-04-2023, 04:07 PM
we're no any good at cup finals...

Arabdownsouth
06-04-2023, 04:08 PM

We'll be playing in the lower league next season, snap the c@nt up!

tHeArAb
06-04-2023, 06:36 PM
Ye agree. Brian Graham was that same type.

Exactly what I mean.

Shedboy_Shimmy
09-04-2023, 01:41 PM
One down. Seven to go.

We can do this!

‘Mon the Terrors!

shedka
09-04-2023, 04:11 PM
Ivan Golacs magic...

Chick A Saw
10-04-2023, 09:46 PM
Ivan Golacs magic...

And what happened the season after that?

So its 1 down and 7 to go and i have the same feeling i did last week. Unfortunately i cannot tell how the game v Well will go next weekend either, but there will thankfully no dwelling on it as i have plenty on this week to keep me occupied.

Its a game that might not be in the must win category, but a draw might just be enough as long as other results go our way, and i have a feeling County will turn our game into another must win.

ianharab
11-04-2023, 09:54 AM
All we can do is take it a game at a time , concentrate on ourselves first and foremost, would take a point Saturday , win would be great , we have to make sure we are in touch come the split

arab777
16-04-2023, 10:09 AM
First 2 successfully negotiated :D 6 to go.

What a great time of the season to start winning games. You don't want to go in to the last 5 games in struggling form. Hopefully corner finally turned.

arabbucks
23-04-2023, 08:45 AM
Jim Goodwin stated that we would need four wins from last eight games to be safe, I thought at the time that that was a big ask considering how many we had won up to then, now with three under his belt do you think another two wins would see us safe.

RAM1971
23-04-2023, 09:24 AM
Jim Goodwin stated that we would need four wins from last eight games to be safe, I thought at the time that that was a big ask considering how many we had won up to then, now with three under his belt do you think another two wins would see us safe.

This has all the appearance of being the closest fight to avoid the drop yet (between 4 teams). I would bank on any of the four winning the play off place if it came to that, although that cannot be guaranteed. This thread has been aptly named 'The 8 Cup Finals,' because it can work out that way. It does look as though Rossco are cutting loose at the bottom, but its only a couple of weeks since we were in that same position. Much as I am against the 'Split,' it is proving a worthwhile spectacle this year, much more so than the top 6 which is very much a formality with nothing other than a few extra quid at stake depending on where a team finishes.

TerryTheTerror
23-04-2023, 10:52 AM
The euro places are still up for grabs in the top six to be fair.

Stoke_Arab
23-04-2023, 10:59 AM
I had to double check that 9 points out of 9 has only got us level on points with Killie 😬 jeez
A lot of work ahead, cause for optimism, but under Fox we would be virtually down by now.

Arabdownsouth
23-04-2023, 11:03 AM
I had to double check that 9 points out of 9 has only got us level on points with Killie �� jeez
A lot of work ahead, cause for optimism, but under Fox we would be virtually down by now.

Virtually down, is that like relegated by ipad? :p

Stoke_Arab
23-04-2023, 11:05 AM

Cast adrift Tom Hanks style 😁

tHeArAb
23-04-2023, 11:06 AM
I had to double check that 9 points out of 9 has only got us level on points with Killie 😬 jeez

Quite incredible, isn't it? We are certainly not out of the woods yet, with Killie picking up three points yesterday. Would be excellent if we could jump above the Fermers in two weeks time. If we do have to go to Killie a third time, I really hope it isn't the first fixture.

Stoke_Arab
23-04-2023, 11:07 AM

I think one of the differences between Goodwin and Fox is that Fox probably looked at the ipad stats then applied that to the player whereas Goodwin will look at the player and use ipad stats as a backup to what he's seeing.

Stoke_Arab
23-04-2023, 11:10 AM
Quite incredible, isn't it? We are certainly not out of the woods yet, with Killie picking up three points yesterday. Would be excellent if we could jump above the Fermers in two weeks time. If we do have to go to Killie a third time, I really hope it isn't the first fixture.

I can't make up my mind what the best first fixture would be. But I don't have the fear going on plastic that I'd have had previously when we insisted on playing long balls. Goodwin will know you have to keep it shorter in midfield on these sh1tey carpets.

Arabdownsouth
23-04-2023, 11:10 AM

I think if we win our home games and pick up at least one point away from home (hopefully at Killie if we end up playing there) it'll be enough. Although I'm obviously hoping we can win our first 2 games no matter who or where to give ourselves the perfect platform.

One things for sure though, the other teams won't be relishing playing us quite as much as they were a couple of weeks ago.

tHeArAb
23-04-2023, 11:11 AM
I think one of the differences between Goodwin and Fox is that Fox probably looked at the ipad stats then applied that to the player whereas Goodwin will look at the player and use ipad stats as a backup to what he's seeing.

A decent summary tbh, and probably close to the truth.

weegiearab
23-04-2023, 12:25 PM
Christ knows..but we need to beat County And Killie as these are the proverbial 6 pointers! The sooner we can be guaranteed premiership football..the sooner we can start the rebuild! I don't want this to go down to the last game!