PDA

View Full Version : Tonight’s Games

keldsyke
25-04-2023, 07:15 PM
Woking and Boreham Wood both losing at the moment 1-0 - 30 minutes in.

the_anticlough
25-04-2023, 07:36 PM
Woking have been poor, according to their own commentators

Elite_Pie
25-04-2023, 07:41 PM
I'd like to see a Woking win, would hate to face Chesterfield at Wembley if we did get there.

queenslandpie
25-04-2023, 07:42 PM
Adam "miss 20 chances and score 1" Campbell has scored for Gateshead.

queenslandpie
25-04-2023, 07:44 PM
It should also be said that as it stands Southend have a not unreasonable chance of making the play offs. That is one very large potential banana skin.

countygump
25-04-2023, 07:45 PM
It should also be said that as it stands Southend have a not unreasonable chance of making the play offs. That is one very large potential banana skin.

They all are.

queenslandpie
25-04-2023, 08:29 PM
They all are.

3-4000 of their fans at Meadow Lane which is what could happen makes it a bigger one.

the_anticlough
25-04-2023, 08:42 PM
Poor show by Woking tonight. Tbh they've been flatlining for months and I'll definitely predict whoever finishes 7th will beat them and go to Chesterfield for the semi-final.

keldsyke
25-04-2023, 08:47 PM
Leeds v Leicester 1-1 at tbe moment, wouldn’t surprise me if one of them snatch it towards the end

the_anticlough
25-04-2023, 08:48 PM
Saturday might be interesting. Boreham Wood and Bromley might be in a battle for 7th (as a better spot than 6th)...I'd say we are worth avoiding til as late as possible...Woking, Chesterfield is a better path than Barnet, Notts County

laddo
25-04-2023, 08:49 PM
With Boreham wood losing at home to the Head, their threat levels are reduced if they make it. Woking don't worry me as they have indeed been flatlining.

I'd be happy playing Southend if they get that far.

irish_pie
25-04-2023, 08:50 PM
Leeds v Leicester 1-1 at tbe moment, wouldn’t surprise me if one of them snatch it towards the end

I'm watching this game dude and its been a complete 1-1 massacre in this second half, Leeds have barely had a touch and how Leicester are not ahead is shocking ...just as I say this Leeds almost scored ha ha shocking miss from Bamford!

upthemaggies
25-04-2023, 08:50 PM
3-4000 of their fans at Meadow Lane which is what could happen makes it a bigger one.

Yeah, I'd be concerned about Southend but BW should be able to get the point they need at home to Yeovil.

What are BT doing on Saturday? Think they were planning to show both Notts and Wrexham live but presumably will now consider featuring the battle for 2nd place instead.

laddo
25-04-2023, 08:52 PM
I'm watching this game dude and its been a complete 1-1 massacre in this second half, Leeds have barely had a touch and how Leicester are not ahead is shocking ...just as I say this Leeds almost scored ha ha shocking miss from Bamford!

It's been an error prone and always entertaining game. I didn't want the draw but somehow it's still level. Leicester look better but Leeds have missed some sitters.

Happy with Wolves' win which makes them safe..

keldsyke
25-04-2023, 08:53 PM

Yep tbe Bamford miss was a shocker, but if it had gone in I have a sneaking suspicion it would have been called offside, Vardy just might have timed it right in tbe season to start scoring again!

the_anticlough
25-04-2023, 08:53 PM
We can forget about Southend, those 7 losses on the bounce really killed them.

They are relying on relegated Yeovil winning at Boreham Wood, not gonna happen.
I'd say tonight went a long way to telling us who we'll face and the chances of it being Barnet are very strong now

countygump
25-04-2023, 09:00 PM
Poor show by Woking tonight. Tbh they've been flatlining for months and I'll definitely predict whoever finishes 7th will beat them and go to Chesterfield for the semi-final.

Gawd it was a dog awful game of "football". I'm not saying Notts are the bees knees but I doubt there was a player on the pitch who would trouble the Notts squad. Maybe the Fax keeper, he looked decent.

the_anticlough
25-04-2023, 09:01 PM
The last few rounds of matches have seen Bromley emerge as a semi-final opponent (with Eastleigh and now Boreham Wood falling back).

Can we finally see an Andy Woodman post-match interview where they haven't got something from us, please?

the_anticlough
25-04-2023, 09:03 PM
Gawd it was a dog awful game of "football". I'm not saying Notts are the bees knees but I doubt there was a player on the pitch who would trouble the Notts squad. Maybe the Fax keeper, he looked decent.

Yeah, teams in places 4 to 7 (and below that) are nowhere near us...
Just gotta perform and we'll prove it again

irish_pie
25-04-2023, 09:09 PM
Yep tbe Bamford miss was a shocker, but if it had gone in I have a sneaking suspicion it would have been called offside, Vardy just might have timed it right in tbe season to start scoring again!

Your right there mate it looked like Bamford was a yard or 2 offside but it was a shocking miss all the same, Vardy looked so threatening when he came on so it boosts Leicesters chances if he can start hitting the onion bag again, amazing to think that is only his 2nd goal of the season!

Elite_Pie
25-04-2023, 09:10 PM
What are BT doing on Saturday? Think they were planning to show both Notts and Wrexham live but presumably will now consider featuring the battle for 2nd place instead.

Given the epic nature of this season, the last day will be pretty dull. Barring a miracle at Torquay, it's just about who meets who in the playoffs.

irish_pie
25-04-2023, 09:10 PM
Totally agree young Laddo, 2 bad teams scrapping for the points and 1 point each doesn't do anything for both teams, I would be happier as a Leicester fan as they showed lots of fight in that second half, Leeds look a complete shambles at this point

Elite_Pie
25-04-2023, 09:20 PM
Happy that the six-fingered brigade lost, at least they can't go up automatically.

I might have a 4 minute 59 second glance at Stagsnet.

BigFatPie
25-04-2023, 09:39 PM
Tonight’s results mean we may face a team who’s finished 40 points behind us in the playoffs.

Notts78
25-04-2023, 09:41 PM
Personally, I’m not worried about any of our potential opponents. None of them have beat us this season and I expect that to remain the case IF the players play remotely close to their potential.
Talk of avoiding Chesterfield is bonkers. We played bang average in both games and still took 4 points.
We have the advantage of being comfortably the best side in the playoffs. The table backs that up. We’ve lost once at home all season and I really do see that and Wembleys pitch being to our advantage.
It’s not arrogance on my behalf to think this way. I get that some are nervous with the lottery of the playoffs but Notts come in to this bang in form and as the highest placed team in them. None of which is true of our last 3 attempts in the playoffs.
All of the playoff candidates have weaknesses like us. It’s our strengths that set us apart from them. That’s why we have lost 3 games whilst all of them have double digits in the loss column.
Have faith fellow magpies.

queenslandpie
25-04-2023, 09:57 PM
Personally, I’m not worried about any of our potential opponents. None of them have beat us this season and I expect that to remain the case IF the players play remotely close to their potential.
Talk of avoiding Chesterfield is bonkers. We played bang average in both games and still took 4 points.
We have the advantage of being comfortably the best side in the playoffs. The table backs that up. We’ve lost once at home all season and I really do see that and Wembleys pitch being to our advantage.
It’s not arrogance on my behalf to think this way. I get that some are nervous with the lottery of the playoffs but Notts come in to this bang in form and as the highest placed team in them. None of which is true of our last 3 attempts in the playoffs.
All of the playoff candidates have weaknesses like us. It’s our strengths that set us apart from them. That’s why we have lost 3 games whilst all of them have double digits in the loss column.

A quick glance at how many times the second placed team do not win the play offs is more than enough to make me very nervous.

Davy500
25-04-2023, 09:58 PM

Yes i feel the same , and i say Notts are on the road to L2

Maggie's Farm
25-04-2023, 10:56 PM
A quick glance at how many times the second placed team do not win the play offs is more than enough to make me very nervous.

Just to say that there's 2nd place by 25 points or so, and then there's 2nd place on goal difference... in case that helps anyone...

but yeah, any Notts fan who's not got an 'indispensable tech component is highly likely to suddenly and mysteriously absent itself from a critically important piece of machinery at any moment' feeling right now, hasn't been paying attention. imo.

uysapie
25-04-2023, 10:57 PM
Yeah, I'd be concerned about Southend but BW should be able to get the point they need at home to Yeovil.

What battle for 2nd place? No one can catch us.

Maggie's Farm
25-04-2023, 11:00 PM
What battle for 2nd place? No one can catch us.

2nd promotion place

Davy500
26-04-2023, 12:32 AM
2nd promotion place

Promotion is promotion by any means - its winning football that we all enjoy . You herd it here first give 2- 4 years i think we will be at least a division higher than the stags

Magpies1959
26-04-2023, 12:35 AM
I don't think where you finish in the league has anything to do with your chances of winning promotion through the play offs. It is obviously down to how you perform in the two or three play off games. Teams from positions two to seven can finish the season in varying degrees of form and fitness, we are looking good on both counts.

Davy500
26-04-2023, 12:39 AM
Winning football is everthing that comes with it, skill. Actors, cheating, bullies and yeah winning

Davy500
26-04-2023, 12:45 AM
We need it all - can not be all 1 trick poney - we could win it on skill, but combined with a p harding type and warnocks arragance we a shooting into L2 and beyond

OchPie
26-04-2023, 03:49 AM
So after last night:

3rd/4th
If Chesterfield win vs. Maidstone (24th), they get 3rd
If Chesterfield draw, they get 3rd unless Woking win vs. SOLIHULL (14th) by 4 goals
If Chesterfield lose, they get 3rd unless Woking win (any score)

5th
Barnet are 5th and at home in the quarter finals

6th/7th
If Bromley win vs. OLDHAM (11th) they get 6th
If Bromley draw, they get 6th unless Boreham Wood win vs. Yeovil (22nd)
If Bromley lose by fewer than 5 goals, they get 6th unless Boreham Wood win
If Bromley lose by 5 or more goals, they get 6th if Boreham Wood lose

If Boreham Wood win or draw, they are guaranteed at least 7th
If BW lose:
A win for Southend vs. Wealdstone (13th) will put them above BW on goal difference, and 7th unless things get crazy
Eastleigh could mathematically get 7th, but would have to win big vs. HALIFAX (10th):
If Southend fail to win, they'd have to make up 12 goals on BW (i.e. win by 12 less the number of goals BW lose by, equalling their GD and blowing past them on GF)
If Southend win, they'd have to make up 12 goals on Southend plus whatever Southend win by to go above them on GF.

queenslandpie
26-04-2023, 07:01 AM
Just to say that there's 2nd place by 25 points or so, and then there's 2nd place on goal difference... in case that helps anyone...

but yeah, any Notts fan who's not got an 'indispensable tech component is highly likely to suddenly and mysteriously absent itself from a critically important piece of machinery at any moment' feeling right now, hasn't been paying attention. imo.

When Wrexham lost to Newport in the final a few years back they were streets ahead on points me duck. Once we are promoted I will stop being sceptical. Until then I will be! Other than that I had to read that post several times until my limited brain capacity ground into gear. Have a lovely day.

laddo
26-04-2023, 08:14 AM
If you hard enough and in enough places any football fan can find reasons and stats to get worried, be skeptical, fear etc. It's a one off knockout style game so the risk and worry is inherent. All I know is none of the potential playoff sides have beaten us and all have been looking up at us and seeing all those wins all season long.

As long as the majority of fans go into it with a positive mindset and more importantly great vocal support we can help us achieve our universal aim. It's not a lot for the club and players to ask now is it?

LaughingMagpie
26-04-2023, 08:38 AM
Boreham Wood just needed a point last night to secure a playoff place and 931 turned up.

countygump
26-04-2023, 08:41 AM
When Wrehxam lost to Newport in the final a few years back they were streets ahead on points me duck. Once we are promoted I will stop being skeptical. Until then I will be! Other than that I had to read that post several times until my limited brain capacity ground into gear. Have a lovely day.

This^^^

Once the P/O's begin, points mean nothing, other than deciding where we finished in the table.

laddo
26-04-2023, 08:56 AM
Agreed.

The more points , the higher the position, the better the playoff starting scenario. So clearly important, whether it's 25 points clear of 2 if you finish in the same place it means the same.

Although having so many points and beating so many times must give you enhanced confidence as a player/squad going into the knockout games.

upthemaggies
26-04-2023, 09:49 AM
5th tier play off winners by final position

2nd: 6
3rd: 8
4th: 5
5th: 0
6th: 1
7th: 0

The rogue 6th placed winner was Grimsby last season.
Play offs were extended to include 6th and 7th from season 2017/18.

Davy500
26-04-2023, 07:15 PM

As you would expect the majority promoted are from the top 3 , as its a much easier route
Grimsby last year , were just incredibly lucky , but i guess their fluke win over us gave them confidense they could win the next 2 games, if i had been a Grimsby player i would have brought a loterry ticket ASAP after the Notts game

Magpies1959
26-04-2023, 08:19 PM
It would have been far more sensible for the Grimsby squad to collectively buy a lottery ticket and share out the winnings, otherwise there would have been a lot of disappointed players, and only one happy mariner :D

Jampie
26-04-2023, 09:57 PM

On those numbers 2nd has a 30% chance of going up and 3rd as a 40%.

I suspect we have better than 30% because the gap between 2nd and 3rd is basically unprecedented.

Still you'd have to estimate us at under 50% for the playoffs as a whole, but over 50% if we get to the final.

Maggie's Farm
27-04-2023, 02:47 AM
When Wrexham lost to Newport in the final a few years back they were streets ahead on points me duck. Once we are promoted I will stop being sceptical. Until then I will be! Other than that I had to read that post several times until my limited brain capacity ground into gear. Have a lovely day.

I was agreeing with you (!) just saying that 25 points difference isn't only about the points, but about the quality of the football we/Wrex are/were consistently capable of. Realistically, if we keep doing what we've been doing all season, we'll go up unless the ref steps in. Traditionally, however, you're right to imply that we're much more likely to turn up in snorkels and inflatable duck rings.

Maggie's Farm
27-04-2023, 02:51 AM
On those numbers 2nd has a 30% chance of going up and 3rd as a 40%.

I suspect we have better than 30% because the gap between 2nd and 3rd is basically unprecedented.

Still you'd have to estimate us at under 50% for the playoffs as a whole, but over 50% if we get to the final.

I think this doesn't fully take into account the fight in the dog though. I'd wager Notts are a much better side this season than almost any of the other sides behind those stats. Doesn't mean we'll go up, jus sayin

queenslandpie
27-04-2023, 03:14 AM
I was agreeing with you (!) just saying that 25 points difference isn't only about the points, but about the quality of the football we/Wrex are/were consistently capable of. Realistically, if we keep doing what we've been doing all season, we'll go up unless the ref steps in. Traditionally, however, you're right to imply that we're much more likely to turn up in snorkels and inflatable duck rings.

Absolutely me duck. However of the sides we will face in the semi 5 draws and 1 win this season. If they play for penalties they have a fighting chance! Not so much snorkels but perhaps goggles.

Davy500
27-04-2023, 01:19 PM
I think this doesn't fully take into account the fight in the dog though. I'd wager Notts are a much better side this season than almost any of the other sides behind those stats. Doesn't mean we'll go up, jus sayin

Exactly so you know what i would say ? Id say Notts have 80% to 90% chance, we are much stronger than any other side. How much do we want it - cause we can AV IT if we want it

durhampie
27-04-2023, 01:40 PM
Exactly so you know what i would say ? Id say Notts have 80% to 90% chance, we are much stronger than any other side. How much do we want it - cause we can AV IT if we want it

If we can lose to the likes of Dorking, then i wouldn't be that confident.. We have players in the side who are prone to making the occasional mistakes, if any of those have an off day then who knows...

laddo
27-04-2023, 01:49 PM
Personally I would never go as high as 80/90% chance, that's excessive IMO. The fact is (so far) we lost to 3 sides in total over a season, with one being the only side to finish above us in the league. Of those 3 I think we deserved to lose one of them.

If you look at some of the sides each of the other playoff teams have lost to this season, I imagine it is quite the shopping list, with plenty of lower placed sides to choose from for each of our potential opponents.

Maggie's Farm
27-04-2023, 06:27 PM
Absolutely me duck. However of the sides we will face in the semi 5 draws and 1 win this season. If they play for penalties they have a fighting chance! Not so much snorkels but perhaps goggles.

Good point. Overall though, I'd still fancy Notts' chances more if we have to score to prevent penalties, than if we had to defend to get to them.