PDA

View Full Version : Romared Match Thoughts Play Off Semi Final 1st Leg Bolton Wanderers v Barnsley

animallittle3
08-05-2023, 02:19 PM
This opening post probably isn't going to go down too well with everyone on here but none the less these are my thoughts on this semi final and I make no apologies for them .

The only way we get through this tie in my opinion is to take a 1st Leg lead from the University Of Bolton Stadium this Saturday , a narrow defeat or even a draw I feel will see us fall short .

What I'm not going to do is go down the blame game route should we indeed fall short , we've had a far better season than the majority of us thought last July but it seems to me we've been sussed this last month and the players are starting to look a little heavy legged and way too many struggling for form .

All of our flaws will unfortunately be exposed against this Bolton Wanderers outfit .

We've come up against the wrong team in my opinion , I'd have taken Derby County and Peterborough or even that lot down the road rather than face Bolton .

I'm not saying Bolton are anything special by any means , if they were they'd have finished above Plymouth and Ipswich over 46 games and they were well short .

What it is , is that they have the attributes to deal with us just as Swansea did two years ago , I'd have taken Brentford or Bournemouth in the championship play off semi final over The Swans all day long and taken our chances in a one off game at Wembley which would have been a different thing altogether even against The Swans .

It's not gone unnoticed that our form of late has a familiar pattern to it of two years ago , we needed a lead to take to the Liberty Stadium that night too and the second leg was beyond us and I see this tie in much the same way irrespective of the fact we have the second leg at Oakwell .

They'll be nobody more delighted than myself to be wrong and this particular post end up looking like complete nonsense .

Happy to wear the clown outfit and red nose if we make it to Wembley .

POGGYWELL
08-05-2023, 02:54 PM
Quote: “Happy to wear the clown outfit and red nose if we make it to Wembley”

I have one in garage locker which I will happy to bring into the Mount one Saturday early July, I’ll leave those arrangements to you Animal.

As for the Bolton games I have the same Swansea thing feeling but as they say “It’s a funny old game”

pass_and_move
08-05-2023, 03:35 PM
I agree wi what tha saying Animal. There are a couple of players struggling for top form. Herbie Kane and Jordan Williams for me notably although they've both had a brilliant season in their own rights.

The team does look leg weary and our tactics have been sussed by some managers but we can still create openings and chances despite that.

However, this is cup football with pretty much everything at stake. The lads will have to get through it on adrenaline. Let us not forget that our opponents have also played over 50 games this season too including cup competitions, probably more games than us. The pressure has also been on those Bolton lads right up until penultimate weekend of the season when they confirmed their play off spot. We had a little bit longer than Bolton (since good Friday)knowing that our play off spot was sewn up which probably accounts for our dip in form towards the end.

It's a close contest that's for sure. Personally, and without being biased, I think that we are a better team than Bolton. Ok, they've not conceded a goal to us in terms of the league games and ran out 3 nil winners at Oakwell. That could set alarm bells ringing among many. However, I don't look too much into the encounter at Oakwell with them because the game was ruined by the early sending off and subsequent penalty kick being converted.

I've watched Bolton play other games on Sky and although they are a pretty strong and solid outfit, I believe we can score past them if we can get at them and keep them under pressure. We have a goal threat coming from all angles which I believe they'll not cope with, especially at Oakwell.

The key for me is coming back to Oakwell with a result. We will struggle at their place in my opinion and I'd be delighted to take a draw right now.

It is what it is at the end of the day. Its only a game of football when all said and done. There's far more important things in life going on. I'm gonna love it if we win these play offs and cherish the memories as I did against Millwall in 2016 and Swansea in 2006 but not gonna go all depressed about if we lose either. There's always next season.

POGGYWELL
08-05-2023, 06:55 PM

Interesting stats on Sky Sports.
Plus we did Bolton in cup - just saying like.

Shadrack the Red
09-05-2023, 07:24 AM
I think the key to the tie is the first leg which I expect to be a cagey affair but we have finished with more points than Bolton this season & we have been to Bolton twice & not lost & with that in mind I fancy us to win 2 v 0 , the home leg is the worry , do we stick or twist , personally I think if we do bring a lead back to Oakwell then a draw might not be out of the question although draws this season have been as rare as hens teeth .

BarnsleyWhites
09-05-2023, 10:59 AM
Hi guys, interesting thoughts on the play offs. We are actually better away from home in many games as teams open up more and with our strength down both wings we can get behind teams. We also have goals in midfield from Dempsey and Morley but despite Charles’s 20 goals this season we are a bit weak up top. Defensively we now have all our key players back fit so you’ll find it tough to break us down. I expect a close game at Bolton where I think we’ll get our favourite 1-0 win and if we do I’m confident of us doing the job at Oakwell. As others have said though, these are now cup matches and both sides have the players to win it and both must go for the win so anything can happen on the day. I just hope both are good games and if they are then whoever wins deserves it and it’s not spoiled by one of the atrocious refs we’ve all suffered from this season.

pass_and_move
11-05-2023, 07:14 AM
Wonder if Mads is back?

animallittle3
11-05-2023, 03:35 PM
Wonder if Mads is back?

Had a whisper today he's 50/50 , most certainly won't be risked unless he's 100% fit .

Cundy at the ready ????

wanderlust
11-05-2023, 11:59 PM
Interesting perspective but whilst I would agree with you if Wanderers play at their best as they did at Wembley, there's no guarantee of that whatsoever - and in the last few games we've muddled through and ridden our luck rather than turned on the style.
The team has been unsettled by injuries since Wembley - at one point all 4 CBs were out and a midfielder had to play in the middle of a 3 (although TBF he did a decent job of it)
As a Wanderers fan, I'm still waiting for a return to the flowing football we play at our best, but recently we've only seen it in patches.
Ironically, Oakwell is better suited to that style of play than the Unibol - Oakwell is a very wide pitch, only a yard narrower than Wembley.
Andersen would be a big miss - he's class - but MD has a track record of disinformation so I expect him to play. We'll be missing VC Gethin Jones, who did a hammy at the weekend and 2 of the back 3 are returning from injury (Santos has had 45 minutes in the last month) so it wouldn't surprise me if we make a clanger or two - and Norwood is good enough to capitalise (Haven't seen Cole recently)
You have a great team, but for me it all depends on which Wanderers turns up on the day - Brazil or Rochdale :)

Acido
12-05-2023, 12:47 AM
We've won there and drawn there already this season, so if the law of averages comes into it, does that mean we're now going to lose there as well. 😧
Apparently Micky D has hit out a bit in the Chron this week, about negative fans and the things they've been saying. Some of our lot are ridiculous at times and they simply won't give any praise, even when it is due.
That's not normally like him and maybe the pressure is getting to him a bit. But hes exactly right, and I hope that sort of thing can work as extra motivation for him and the players. 👍

animallittle3
12-05-2023, 07:51 AM
Interesting perspective but whilst I would agree with you if Wanderers play at their best as they did at Wembley, there's no guarantee of that whatsoever - and in the last few games we've muddled through and ridden our luck rather than turned on the style.
The team has been unsettled by injuries since Wembley - at one point all 4 CBs were out and a midfielder had to play in the middle of a 3 (although TBF he did a decent job of it)
As a Wanderers fan, I'm still waiting for a return to the flowing football we play at our best, but recently we've only seen it in patches.
Ironically, Oakwell is better suited to that style of play than the Unibol - Oakwell is a very wide pitch, only a yard narrower than Wembley.
Andersen would be a big miss - he's class - but MD has a track record of disinformation so I expect him to play. We'll be missing VC Gethin Jones, who did a hammy at the weekend and 2 of the back 3 are returning from injury (Santos has had 45 minutes in the last month) so it wouldn't surprise me if we make a clanger or two - and Norwood is good enough to capitalise (Haven't seen Cole recently)
You have a great team, but for me it all depends on which Wanderers turns up on the day - Brazil or Rochdale :)

I just hope the tie isn't affected by poor officials and it's a worry because there seems to be plenty of animosity between the two sides from what I've seen in the three games we've played so far this season .

Don't get me wrong our lot are no angels either , Norwood is one of the biggest shytehouses in the league and plenty of this team will go down the moment they feel a minimum of contact , embarrassing sometimes .

We have to come away from your place tomorrow with something in my opinion but then again this is the play offs so what do I know .

pass_and_move
12-05-2023, 09:41 AM
Nerves are starting to set in. Long time since I've felt like this because tha just can't call this game imo. Last time i was this much on edge was probably 3 years ago when we went to Brentford needing a win to stay up and other results to go our way.

animallittle3
12-05-2023, 10:13 AM
Nerves are starting to set in. Long time since I've felt like this because tha just can't call this game imo. Last time i was this much on edge was probably 3 years ago when we went to Brentford needing a win to stay up and other results to go our way.

I'd probably be the same Pass but I've a couple of other things on my plate this weekend so I'm a bit low key .

However tomorrow at 2.30pm I reckon it will kick in , when the cameras pick up the players during the warm up and going through their routines you know it's for real .

I can remember the Val season when they switched from Dean Court to our match in that first leg .

" Right after the break to Oakwell " jeez , here we go .

When the players emerged and that reception it made the hairs on your back stand up despite the small attendance .

I think sometimes you get more stressed watching on tv than in the ground , a bit more together in the stadium , tha on thi own at hooome .

Lolmorgan
12-05-2023, 10:55 AM
Come on Lads where’s your Yorkshire spirit, you can do those Lancashire softies & this is from a Miller. Good luck.

GRASS SOD
12-05-2023, 06:52 PM
Whoever wins this semi will go all the way and get promoted imo

Godsend.F.C.
12-05-2023, 09:07 PM
Good Luck to the Tykes.

I have a feeling you will be joining us in the Championship - not sure the pigs will be though.
Tight game against Bolton - it's all down to who wants it the most - playoffs are a lottery & I don't take too much notice of current form.

GOOD LUCK once again.

POGGYWELL
13-05-2023, 01:07 PM

Bench
COLLINS RUSSELL. NORWOOD J.BENSON LTHOMAS LARKECHE WATTERS

animallittle3
13-05-2023, 01:08 PM
Good Luck to the Tykes.

I have a feeling you will be joining us in the Championship - not sure the pigs will be though.
Tight game against Bolton - it's all down to who wants it the most - playoffs are a lottery & I don't take too much notice of current form.

GOOD LUCK once again.

Thanks mate , congratulations on staying up .

animallittle3
13-05-2023, 01:09 PM

Bench
COLLINS RUSSELL. NORWOOD J.BENSON LTHOMAS LARKECHE WATTERS

Andersen makes it , thankfully .

animallittle3
13-05-2023, 01:17 PM
Reds fans pre match in Chorley .

https://twitter.com/ChorleyPolice/status/1657359194700357634?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1657359194700357634%7Ctwgr% 5E53fa734b898c8a21b593bfc632677d626863c229%7Ctwcon %5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwi tter.min.html1657359194700357634

Barnsley Chop
13-05-2023, 01:49 PM
Another big game, hopefully still 2 games to play after today.

Good luck Lads.

Feeling nervous? YES!

Barnsley Chop
13-05-2023, 02:49 PM
Composed professional performance so far.

Playing some nice football with good shape.

animallittle3
13-05-2023, 02:56 PM
Bloody tense is this , too much tension for me making it something to be endured rather than any enjoyment .

We are probably shading it in my opinion .

Young_Nudger
13-05-2023, 02:57 PM
1st Half
Nervous - that’s both teams - and me.
Bolton only look like scoring from a set piece eg corner.
Barnsley dominated most of the play but again the last touch looking poor.

Tedic having a poor game - nothing sticking up front - needs a change for the older head and nastier Norwood.

Other than shooting from long range I haven’t seen Philips touch the ball.
Kane once again washing his hands of any responsibility - shoot for Gods sake !!!
Get Luke on early in the 2nd half for either Philips or Kane.

Bolton are there for the taking.
Is Duff brave enough to do that ?

animallittle3
13-05-2023, 03:01 PM
1st Half

Tedic having a poor game - nothing sticking up front - needs a change for the older head and nastier Norwood.

Kane once again washing his hands of any responsibility - shoot for Gods sake !!!

Brave enough to do what exactly ?

Throw the whole season away on a whim and a prayer ?

Doggydo
13-05-2023, 03:19 PM
Once we get Tedic off I think we’ll be more of a threat.

Doggydo
13-05-2023, 03:22 PM
Get in

Barnsley Chop
13-05-2023, 03:24 PM
Get in!

Doggydo
13-05-2023, 03:32 PM
Bad goal to concede, shouldn’t have been allowed to get the cross in and keeper should have got a stronger hand on it.

Young_Nudger
13-05-2023, 03:55 PM
Bad goal to concede, shouldn’t have been allowed to get the cross in and keeper should have got a stronger hand on it.

Williams

Jules88
13-05-2023, 04:00 PM
Ill take that

Young_Nudger
13-05-2023, 04:01 PM
1st Half

2nd Half
Dire.
Like watching paint dry.
Let’s hope the 2nd leg is better than that.
Probably the only positive is that Duff might be happy with that.
But Bolton were there for the taking.
Watching Peterborough and then Bolton / Barnsley was like chalk and cheese.
Free flowing football opposed to scared to death football.

POGGYWELL
13-05-2023, 04:03 PM

I’m happy with that !

EthelRed
13-05-2023, 04:08 PM
Brave enough to do what exactly ?

Throw the whole season away on a wing and a prayer ?

Shouldnt you have better things to do?

Then pack your luggage!

animallittle3
13-05-2023, 04:18 PM
Half time and all to play for , it's as simple as that really .

Great strike from Nicky Cadden but as others have said a really poor goal to giveaway .

50/50 game on Friday night , can't really call it .

Hopefully we will not regret the chances that went begging today .

SBRed48
13-05-2023, 04:37 PM
Cagy game today with both teams not wanting to "do a Wednesday"

One off game Friday neet.

If the scores are still level after 60 minutes a football game will break out and could go either way.

animallittle3
13-05-2023, 04:53 PM
2nd Half
Dire.
Like watching paint dry.
Let’s hope the 2nd leg is better than that.
Probably the only positive is that Duff might be happy with that.
But Bolton were there for the taking.
Watching Peterborough and then Bolton / Barnsley was like chalk and cheese.
Free flowing football opposed to scared to death football.

What kind of game were expecting YN ?

When did this tie ever equate to anything other than a tight and nobody giving anything away in the first leg ?

Your also a complete hypocrite by the way , you scream for Tedic to start for months , he starts and then you call for Norwood to come on and replace him at halftime .

Barnsley Chop
13-05-2023, 04:58 PM
Animal mate, stop replying to him - a complete and utter wa88er.

Barnsley Chop
13-05-2023, 04:59 PM
Ill take that

Me too Jules

Young_Nudger
13-05-2023, 05:28 PM
What kind of game were expecting YN ?

When did this tie ever equate to anything other than a tight and nobody giving anything away in the first leg ?

You’re also a complete hypocrite by the way , you scream for Tedic to start for months , he starts and then you call for Norwood to come on and replace him at halftime .

I expected us to win 1-3.
Barnsley were poor - Bolton were even worse.
Poor game - not much football played.
Bolton were there for the taking.
But Duff continues to play safe.
Duff has become the Garath Southgate of the 1st Division i.e. has the players to win any game but doesn’t because he always reverts to playing safe.

Hypocrite???
I think Tedic is a good player - but if he has a bad game then I’ll say so.
Wouldn’t you do that in relation to a player that you like?
Because if you didn’t then that would be dishonest and hypocritical.

Shadrack the Red
13-05-2023, 05:31 PM
I actually thought we played quite well , not sure why YN thought it was so bad, we went forward when ever we could & had 19 attempts at goal , its not like we shut up shop or played a blanket defence , if it was a boxing match I think we would have won it on points , thought all our midfield made useful contributions & Mads was excellent making us look a lot stronger at the back , anybody"s game now on friday & thats what we all really wanted , we wanted to be still in the tie with home advantage , bring it on !! Special mention for the ref who I thought had an excellent game , hope fridays officials are as good.

Barnsley Chop
13-05-2023, 05:43 PM
I actually thought we played quite well , not sure why YN thought it was so bad, we went forward when ever we could & had 19 attempts at goal , its not like we shut up shop or played a blanket defence , if it was a boxing match I think we would have won it on points , thought all our midfield made useful contributions & Mads was excellent making us look a lot stronger at the back , anybody"s game now on friday & thats what we all really wanted , we wanted to be still in the tie with home advantage , bring it on !! Special mention for the ref who I thought had an excellent game , hope fridays officials are as good.

Totally agree with your comments on our performance Shads - was also going to post on the referee, excellent in my opinion and also credit to the players for not being too aggressive to him.

animallittle3
13-05-2023, 05:53 PM
I expected us to win 1-3.
Barnsley were poor - Bolton were even worse.
Poor game - not much football played.
Bolton were there for the taking.
But Duff continues to play safe.
Duff has become the Garath Southgate of the 1st Division i.e. has the players to win any game but doesn’t because he always reverts to playing safe.

Hypocrite???
I think Tedic is a good player - but if he has a bad game then I’ll say so.
Wouldn’t you do that in relation to a player that you like?
Because if you didn’t then that would be dishonest and hypocritical.

You gave him 45 minutes away from home in a Play Off Semi final and then called for him to be binned off , the score at halftime was 0-0 , you really couldn't see could you where the game was at halftime , now If we were 2-0 down or worse you'd probably have a reasonable point .

If you were expecting free flowing football and ourselves coming out on top 3-1 I'd like you to present the evidence that led you to believe that .

Barnsley Chop
13-05-2023, 06:01 PM
You gave him 45 minutes away from home in a Play Off Semi final and then called for him to be binned off , the score at halftime was 0-0 , you really couldn't see could you where the game was at halftime , now If we were 2-0 down or worse you'd probably have a reasonable point .

If you were expecting free flowing football and ourselves coming out on top 3-1 I'd like you to present the evidence that led you to believe that .

And the clown is now praising Peterborough when he called them Garbage.

BarnsleyWhites
13-05-2023, 06:01 PM
I actually think you slipped up today chaps, that’s the worst I’ve seen Wanderers play for ages and I’m over the moon that we managed to get away with the draw which means it’s still all to play for on Friday. It was really only Trafford that saved our bacon today with a couple of terrific stops whilst other than our goal I don’t think we troubled your keeper at all. I think our semi was always going to be close and I think Friday will be the same. I agree with some other comments on here that the officials were all good, let the game flow, albeit badly and I hope we get similar at Oakwell. Onwards and upwards everyone.

Young_Nudger
13-05-2023, 06:18 PM
I actually think you slipped up today chaps, that’s the worst I’ve seen Wanderers play for ages and I’m over the moon that we managed to get away with the draw which means it’s still all to play for on Friday. It was really only Trafford that saved our bacon today with a couple of terrific stops whilst other than our goal I don’t think we troubled your keeper at all. I think our semi was always going to be close and I think Friday will be the same. I agree with some other comments on here that the officials were all good, let the game flow, albeit badly and I hope we get similar at Oakwell. Onwards and upwards everyone.

Yes I’d agree wi that.
If we had shown a bit more adventure and purpose going forward I think we could have easily won it.
What IMO we should have done at Bolton eg coming out of the blocks to attack - I’m expecting Bolton to do exactly that at Oakwell.
Bolton have nothing to lose now.

animallittle3
13-05-2023, 06:42 PM
Yes I’d agree wi that.
If we had shown a bit more adventure and purpose going forward I think we could have easily won it.
What IMO we should have done at Bolton eg coming out of the blocks to attack - I’m expecting Bolton to do exactly that at Oakwell.

Nothing to lose ? , only the entire season's work maybe .

You throw caution to the wind today and Bolton put us out of the tie comfortably .

That would have played right in to their hands as a decent team who base their game on breaking the lines .

We set up to ensure that couldn't happen and it didn't because Michael Duff is tactically astute and smart .

Barnsleywhites believes his team played poorly and got away with it , I think Bolton played as well as they were allowed today .

The problem for us is if the tie is at 0-0 on Friday night going in to the last 20 minutes and we open the game up it may go against us .

We play the second leg exactly how we played it today , let Bolton have the ball and we look to take the opportunities we created today .

Impressed with Duff today , probably in my opinion his best tactical approach since we beat Wendy at Hillsborough last August .

He found away to nullify the threat I feared pre match that Bolton had over us .

Same again please on Friday night .

BarnsleyWhites
13-05-2023, 09:35 PM
Nothing to lose ? , only the entire season's work maybe .

You throw caution to the wind today and Bolton put us out of the tie comfortably .

That would have played right in to their hands as a decent team who base their game on breaking the lines .

We set up to ensure that couldn't happen and it didn't because Michael Duff is tactically astute and smart .

Barnsleywhites believes his team played poorly and got away with it , I think Bolton played as well as they were allowed today .

The problem for us is if the tie is at 0-0 on Friday night going in to the last 20 minutes and we open the game up it may go against us .

We play the second leg exactly how we played it today , let Bolton have the ball and we look to take the opportunities we created today .

Impressed with Duff today , probably in my opinion his best tactical approach since we beat Wendy at Hillsborough last August .

He found away to nullify the threat I feared pre match that Bolton had over us .

Same again please on Friday night .

Actually animal you may be right that we were only allowed to play as well as you let us and my comment of us not playing well may have been doing you down. I think Duff got your tactics spot on today and you never let us get into the positions we normally would expect to, especially at home. Maybe that’s why our passing was so wayward and our clearances were a bit panicked? Whatever the reason I can tell you that I was extremely happy not to be finishing the game behind because you fully deserved to win it today. I think Evatt and the players will have learned something today though and should be under less pressure on Friday allowing us to play our own game better. I expect another tight game as I don’t think there’s much between the teams and whilst I obviously hope we win, if we don’t and you play better than us then well done to you and I hope you go on and clinch promotion again at Wembley. Only 3 miles from home and I can’t go on Friday, tickets sold out in minutes!! Never mind we might still both have to do it again next year? ��

Young_Nudger
14-05-2023, 08:26 AM
My overall view of the playoffs so far.
Both Posh and Wendy were poor.
Wendy could easily have won that game if they had taken two easy chances created by poor Posh defending from the Wendy press.
Posh went onto score 2 lucky goals in the 1st half.
Wendy collapsed in the 2nd half making Posh look good.

If we meet Posh in the final and they try to play out from the back like that then we will beat them.

Bolton v Barnsley.
I’ve not seen a game this season where as many passes from both teams went over the touch line out of play.
Even the television commentators were saying things such as ‘the game hasn’t really got started yet’.

Barnsley were poor - Bolton were worse.
If some supporters think it was a good game because Duff stopped Bolton playing - then I’d agree with that.
But that dosent make the game attractive to watch.
I saw very little attractive football from Barnsley - I saw absolutely none from Bolton.
It’s a surprise Bolton managed to score in open play.
Only chances they got were from set plays.
Mostly coming from corners - some of which had resulted from poor defending by Barnsley.

They have seen that Barnsley were by far the better team and dominated for large parts of the 1st leg.
They are away from home - and know Barnsley are strong at home (given 11 player’s remain on the field) - and they also know Barnsley will be by far the favourites to win the tie.
As such I’m expecting Bolton to throw caution to the wind and come out all guns blazing.

pass_and_move
14-05-2023, 08:56 AM
My overall view of the playoffs so far.
Both Posh and Wendy were poor.
Wendy could easily have won that game if they had taken two easy chances created by poor Posh defending from the Wendy press.
Posh went onto score 2 lucky goals in the 1st half.
Wendy collapsed in the 2nd half making Posh look good.

If we meet Posh in the final and they try to play out from the back like that then we will beat them.

Bolton v Barnsley.
I’ve not seen a game this season where as many passes from both teams went over the touch line out of play.
Even the television commentators were saying things such as ‘the game hasn’t really got started yet’.

Barnsley were poor - Bolton were worse.
If some supporters think it was a good game because Duff stopped Bolton playing - then I’d agree with that.
But that dosent make the game attractive to watch.
I saw very little attractive football from Barnsley - I saw absolutely none from Bolton.
It’s a surprise Bolton managed to score in open play.
Only chances they got were from set plays.
Mostly coming from corners - some of which had resulted from poor defending by Barnsley.

They have seen that Barnsley were by far the better team and dominated for large parts of the 1st leg.
They are away from home - and know Barnsley are strong at home (given 11 player’s remain on the field) - and they also know Barnsley will be by far the favourites to win the tie.
As such I’m expecting Bolton to throw caution to the wind and come out all guns blazing.

Has it occurred to you that Boltons game plan was to sit back and try to hit us on the counter?

Did we stop them playing? No for me because they didn't even want to play. Evatt has a team that has the best defensive record in the entire EFL. They were happy to soak it up, keep their shape and break on us which meant territorially we dominated. I was surprised to see tactics like that from the home side in all honesty but it eased my anxiety and pre match jitters in regard of thinking 'these aren't gonna score today sitting back like this'. Unfortunately, they caught us in the vulnerable period just after we'd taken the lead and it left me a bit disappointed that we didn't win go onto win this game which pre match, I thought would be a very difficult task indeed.

Does Evatt do the same containing approach at Oakwell? We'll see but I think we missed an opportunity yesterday to establish a grip on this tie.

Young_Nudger
14-05-2023, 10:36 AM
Pass - I think you have highlighted the point I’m trying to make - we missed an opportunity.
I expected us to get the win at Bolton - something in the region of 1-3.
But that relies on Williams, Kane, Philips and Cadden pushing forward to support the strikers which they rarely did.
Delivery into our strikers was unacceptable.
Other than Cadden all 4 of those players had a poor game - and Cadden wasn’t brilliant.

When when when is Kane going to take some responsibility and shoot or put a telling pass in.
The Ray Wilkins of BFC - always moving sideways or tapping it backwards for someone else to take responsibility of putting in the final pass.
Isn’t he the player we are relying on to drop the ball on a sixpence from 50 yards ???
Because if it is - it ain’t happening.

I expected the 2nd leg to be tight (2-2).
But because we didn’t beat them at theirs the 2nd leg will be totally different.
As we missed that opportunity it could go 3-1 either way.
One things for sure Bolton won’t approach this game like they did their last.

SBRed48
14-05-2023, 10:44 AM
I've not watched Bolton this season but they finished 5th so must have some quality features.

They were poor yesterday and their fans will be relieved they came out of it with a draw.

Their insistence on playing it out from the back suits our marking and tackling positions from goal kicks. I believe the modern coaching jargon is "a high press" :P It will cost them a goal at Oakwell if they keep on doing it.

As has been said the pressure is on both sides in this one off game and I think it will be a much more open game than yesterday with chances at either end. I'm not sure which way it will go to be honest.

BarnsleyWhites
14-05-2023, 04:11 PM
There will be no change to Evatt’s policy of playing it out from the back, of that I can assure you. We’ve played that way all season and have had considerable success. We don’t score many, other than in some games when we actually take some of the numerous chances we create. Yesterday we created nothing aside from the goal we got but I just can’t see it being the same on Friday. You really did miss a big opportunity not winning, although we do seem to have another gear when we really need to. I think it was just one of those days yesterday but Friday I think will be different. I doubt Duff will set up the same way and that will give us a better chance on the break. We were so slow moving the ball out from the back and neither Bradley nor Williams managed to get behind your defence to put in crosses, other than the one we scored from. Usually Sheehan and Morley in midfield pick up the ball from the defence quickly and move it forward at pace for Dion to run onto but yesterday they were slow and the passing was atrocious. Hopefully it’s just a blip and with that bit extra room we’ll get as you attack more we can expose your defence. I’m actually more confident of winning at Oakwell than I was at the UniBol so I’m really looking forward to a much better contest. Whoever wins I think will see Posh off in the final so there’s everything to play for. Not a day for sitting back so knowing only a win will do should ensure a really thrilling match.

Acido
16-05-2023, 01:13 AM
It was also good to see both teams in their normal home colours, which is summat that bugs the hell out of me lol.
Didn't we wear the black kit there in the league game by the way ?.
The Final score live updates kept saying it was us who were the better team, especially in the first half. And that their boss Evatt was looking nervous and fidgety on the touchline, as managers/coaches often do.
At least we turned up though on the day, that was much more like the team we've been used to seeing under Duff. It certainly wasn't a Sheffdy Wendy type phoned-in performance. 😊