PDA

View Full Version : Close season transfer targets and possible departures...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

CheezyNCFC
13-05-2023, 06:34 PM
Bit early for this I know but can't stop wondering...

Does promotion mean we'll be able to keep hold of Ruben?

I always suspected when it was mentioned post match earlier on in the season and he gave the camera a little wink that if we got promoted he would sign a contract extension... wasn't anywhere near his best in the last couple of games but undoubedly our best player when he's on it and has been consistently class.

Does this mean we now have a realistic chance of signing Jodi Jones?

Should Slocombe still be our #1 next season if we bring another keeper in?

Will EFL football for Notts now be a significant detterant to ward off interest in Langstaff? It would take something substantial for our owners to even consider it and I doub't now that anyone below the Championship would have enough of a draw for Macca to want to leave.

Can't wait to see who we're linked with, buzzing for next season - Keep the core of the team and bring in some class editions, I reckon we'll be able to give the playoff's a right good go. COYP.

countygump
13-05-2023, 06:40 PM

I always suspected when it was mentioned post match earlier on in the season and he gave the camera a little wink that if we got promoted he would sign a contract extension... wasn't anywhere near his best in the last couple of games but undoubedly our best player when he's on it and has been consistently class.

Will EFL football for Notts now be a significant detterant to ward off interest in Langstaff? It would take something substantial for our owners to even consider it and I doub't now that anyone below the Championship would have enough of a draw for Macca to want to leave.

Can't wait to see who we're linked with, buzzing for next season - Keep the core of the team and bring in some class editions, I reckon we'll be able to give the playoff's a right good go. COYP.

I've a feeling Rubes might decide to stay, he's dropped a few hints that he might want to. Jodi? depends on the money he's after. Sloco? As much as I like the guy, I'm afraid an upgrade is needed.

drillerpie
13-05-2023, 06:40 PM

1) I think so
2) Yes
3) No
4) Probably not, but we're less likely to get low balled on the fee

WarsopPie
13-05-2023, 06:43 PM
Danny Johnson from Mansfield who’s just been released if Macca goes.

BCnotts18
13-05-2023, 06:55 PM
I've a feeling Rubes might decide to stay, he's dropped a few hints that he might want to. Jodi? depends on the money he's after. Sloco? As much as I like the guy, I'm afraid an upgrade is needed.

Wouldn't mind keeping Slocombe as a second choice next season. But the defence is the main area in need.

I'd say we'll need a left wing back, potentially 2 if we move chicksen into centre back, at least one centre back, maybe 2, a goalkeeper, a central midfielder or two depending on departures, and potentially a striker if macca leaves.

BCnotts18
13-05-2023, 06:58 PM
I'd say we should have a look at Tyler Cordner at Aldershot but now we've gone up, I wouldn't say no to a centreback with more league experience.

bule1
13-05-2023, 06:59 PM
The whole defensive setup needs the biggest overhaul for League 2.

BCnotts18
13-05-2023, 07:03 PM
I don't know if he's out of contract yet or not, but I'd certainly keep an eye on David McGoldrick too, as I'm sure he's made it clear in the past he'd be open to returning to notts at some point.

BJPIE
13-05-2023, 07:07 PM
None of the defenders are anywhere near the level required. Maybe Chicksen as a left side in a 3 but Cameron Baldwin are error ridden. Rawlo has improved in a footballing sense but just not mobile enough. I've been disappointed that it wasn't addressed in part in the transfer window. Does Radar only do attacking players????

countygump
13-05-2023, 07:10 PM
I don't know if he's out of contract yet or not, but I'd certainly keep an eye on David McGoldrick too, as I'm sure he's made it clear in the past he'd be open to returning to notts at some point.

I think Derby have recently offered him a renewed contract and at 35, he doesn't strike me as a "radar" signing.

TedBovisPie
13-05-2023, 07:51 PM
If we are going to continue to play the high line we need more pace.

irishpete
13-05-2023, 07:55 PM
As long as we don't do a florest & sign over rated players who come in and disrupt the squad that got you there in the 1st place. Honestly cant see that happening with the bros too much class

legs77
13-05-2023, 08:09 PM
As long as we don't do a florest & sign over rated players who come in and disrupt the squad that got you there in the 1st place. Honestly cant see that happening with the bros too much class

Same we have a model and it has worked I know it has been frustrating to be in NL but it a really hard league to get out of we now know that.

We will continue to buy who fits into the system/team that is key see Brentford/Brighton who employ a similar model albeit at a much higher level but it’s the same thing get the right fit and the jigsaw comes together.

PedroTheFisherman66
13-05-2023, 08:44 PM
Now we are in the league aren't we allowed oversea signings widening the scope of Radar...!

countygump
13-05-2023, 08:47 PM
Now we are in the league aren't we allowed oversea signings widening the scope of Radar...!

Actually, we might be?

Any predictions / hopes?

Mid table finish, towards the P/O's would do me as we carry on building?

5,000+ S/T holders?

the_anticlough
13-05-2023, 08:54 PM
An advantage of being back in the EFL is we can go back to being normal supporters.
We don't have to view everything through the prism of having to be 1st of 24 teams to be automatically promoted. And expecting to be.
No need for the desperation, we can chill a bit.

Got a lot of respect for the NL and non-league football in general. But dropping down there for four years felt like being buried alive.

Ex_Southwell_Magpie
13-05-2023, 09:12 PM
An advantage of being back in the EFL is we can go back to being normal supporters.

Hopefully that also means mostly 3PM Saturday kickoffs!

marky
13-05-2023, 09:13 PM
Honestly think Notts will be right up there in League 2, finally the club has some momentum.

upthemaggies
13-05-2023, 09:33 PM
Actually, we might be?

Any predictions / hopes?

Mid table finish, towards the P/O's would do me as we carry on building?

5,000+ S/T holders?

Post match on Radio Notts, they were talking about today needing to be the first step and that Notts should be higher than L2.

Bristol Rovers and Tranmere went straight up to L1 (though Tranmere came back down again), Lincoln did it in two, so you'd hope the momentum can be maintained but Luton and Orient took 4 seasons to go to the next level and Oxford 6. Grimsby and Hartlepool serve as a warning that traditional league clubs can drop back down for a 2nd spell in non-league, god forbid.

We're entering the unknown. Finishing mid-table having kept in touch with 7th spot for most of next season wouldn't be a bad return to the FL, struggling to stay out of trouble would be very disappointing (Trust days like).

Jampie
14-05-2023, 05:44 AM
I reckon we might keep Rodrigues (which would be lucky) but I'll be shocked+delighted if we can hold onto Langstaff.

My prediction is that we'll have a few new faces regardless and most of us will be like "who is THAT guy?" because they'll be Radar finds we've never heard of.

Some of them wont cut it but a few will be amazing as per the last few seasons' recruiting.

I would like to see us finish at least mid table next season, I suspect our current squad would pull that off let alone what we can attract as a L2 side. We really wont have any idea until about ten games in.

In any event, today I'm just very thankful we had the team we did, with the manager we did, and that we have the owners we do. The brothers' strategy is clearly working and I reckon they've earned our faith in The Plan.

irishpete
14-05-2023, 06:09 AM
I reckon we might keep Rodrigues (which would be lucky) but I'll be shocked+delighted if we can hold onto Langstaff.

My prediction is that we'll have a few new faces regardless and most of us will be like "who is THAT guy?" because they'll be Radar finds we've never heard of.

Some of them wont cut it but a few will be amazing as per the last few seasons' recruiting.

I would like to see us finish at least mid table next season, I suspect our current squad would pull that off let alone what we can attract as a L2 side. We really wont have any idea until about ten games in.

In any event, today I'm just very thankful we had the team we did, with the manager we did, and that we have the owners we do. The brothers' strategy is clearly working and I reckon they've earned our faith in The Plan.

Actually think we have a chance of holding on to those two after listening to the LW interview

Notts_Pie
14-05-2023, 07:18 AM
I'd like Ashmore from Borehamwood, and make Mair a permanent signing if he wants it.

optipez
14-05-2023, 07:36 AM
The released list could well look pretty harsh on some good men who've always done their best for us.
Slocombe, Rawlo, Cameron, Vincent could all be gone, as well as Mitchell and Francis. I think Nemane is out of contract too but we'll surely try to re - sign him.

WarsopPie
14-05-2023, 08:18 AM
Hopefully Chicksen will be gone or used as a bit part player he’s done absolutely nothing for a good 3 or 4 month now and some how continues to get a starting place.
He’s not good enough for where we want to be in the towards the top of league 2.

GranthamPie
14-05-2023, 08:20 AM
Hopefully Chicksen will be gone or used as a bit part player he’s done absolutely nothing for a good 3 or 4 month now and some how continues to get a starting place.
He’s not good enough for where we want to be in the towards the top of league 2.

He’s just signed a new contract?

LaxtonLad
14-05-2023, 08:23 AM
Ruben seems to have indicated he is happy at Notts and would probably have stayed even if we hadn't gone up.

Macca, I'm not so sure about. The defences in non-league seemed have sussed him out, if so, L2 defenders being a teany!!! bit more able will have some bad news for him. Perhaps if Scott or another proper striker were to play alongside him he might find the bit of space he needs for his quick skills to shine in.

Slocombe I'm afraid, has had his day and the mistakes are starting to creep in. Keep him as backup though.

Chicksen and Nemane deserve their chances in L2 where they might find a bit more space without being outnumbered on the flanks. The non-leagues defenders, having less ability, found crowding out Nemane more effective than trying to stop him receiving the ball. Chicksen was often starved of the ball but still managed a decent goal tally.

Palmer is clever and alert enough to outwit any defending L2 midfielder and should stay. As should Bostock who has become a revelation, and Jodi too as a fast late impact hit-man.

Close season games against opposition higher than non-league (or Carlton Town!) should sort out the worth of the rest of the squad. Sign another proven striker though, preferably from L1, or some unknown foreigner.

matt_magpie
14-05-2023, 08:23 AM
I think there’s some obvious departures this season without being critical. I think if we lose 3 or 4 and bring in some proper quality then I honestly believe we can get in the top 3.

countygump
14-05-2023, 08:26 AM
Ruben seems to have indicated he is happy at Notts and would probably have stayed even if we hadn't gone up.

Macca, I'm not so sure about. The defences in non-league seemed have sussed him out, if so, L2 defenders being a ****y bit more able will have some bad news for him. Perhaps if Scott or another proper striker were to play alongside him he might find the bit of space he needs for his quick skills to shine in.

Slocombe I'm afraid, has had his day and the mistakes are starting to creep in. Keep him as backup though.

Chicksen and Nemane deserve their chances in L2 where they might find a bit more space without being outnumbered on the flanks. The non-leagues defenders, having less ability, found crowding out Nemane more effective than trying to stop him receiving the ball. Chicksen was often starved of the ball but still managed a decent goal tally.

Palmer is clever and alert enough to outwit any defending L2 midfielder and should stay. As should Bostock who has become a revelation, and Jodi too as a fast late impact hit-man.

Close season games against opposition higher than non-league (or Carlton Town!) should sort out the worth of the rest of the squad. Sign another proven striker though, preferably from L1, or some unknown foreigner.

I think Macca has just gone off the boil a bit. Chances are still coming for him, but he's just not converting them in the way that he was. Having said that it's been a long hard season.

BanjoPie
14-05-2023, 08:35 AM

You are obviously far more experienced and knowledgable than Luke Williams - I can’t understand why you didn’t get the job of Notts Head Coach !!!

laddo
14-05-2023, 08:44 AM
In the old days it was worth making suggestions , realistic or otherwise, but with #radar being so damn good I'm not gonna bother. It's a compliment to the owners and club

GranthamPie
14-05-2023, 08:50 AM
In the old days it was worth making suggestions , realistic or otherwise, but with #radar being so damn good I'm not gonna bother. It's a compliment to the owners and club

Agree

BanjoPie
14-05-2023, 08:53 AM
I see all the ‘wannabee’ managers are out in force, FFS this group of players have taken us back to the EFL and yet the ‘know it alls’ on here want to put many of them out of work!!! - “Unbelievable Jeff”

flukieireland
14-05-2023, 08:55 AM
I am a fan of consistency.. its a good group who know the system, so I think we only need some small amount of tinkering...more pace needed from those we bring in though.

nw6pie
14-05-2023, 09:02 AM
How many people have been googling "EFL start date 2023/24" this morning? Can't be just me!

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/may/efl-key-dates-announced-ahead-of-202324-season/

Fixture Release Date – Thursday 22 June 2023, 9am
Start Date – Saturday 5 August 2023 (with a likely live game on Friday 4 August)
Carabao Cup Round One – w/c 7 August 2023
Carabao Cup Final – Sunday 25 February 2024
EFL Trophy Round One – w/c 4 September 2023
EFL Trophy Final – Sunday 7 April 2024
League One Play-Off Final – Saturday 18 May 2024
League Two Play-Off Final – Sunday 19 May 2024
Championship Play-Off Final – Sunday 26 May 2024

kill_the_drum
14-05-2023, 09:03 AM
I think Macca has just gone off the boil a bit. Chances are still coming for him, but he's just not converting them in the way that he was. Having said that it's been a long hard season.

I’m in no doubt that Macca has played both PO games injured.

Notts78
14-05-2023, 09:07 AM
I see all the ‘wannabee’ managers are out in force, FFS this group of players have taken us back to the EFL and yet the ‘know it alls’ on here want to put many of them out of work!!! - “Unbelievable Jeff”

Exactly. Quite embarrassing really.

If the choice is ours I expect that 4/5 will go and would hope to add 6/7 to the group. Next season will IMO require a slightly bigger squad to deal with the extra demand of cup competitions. We’ve moaned about the FA trophy but now we’ll be in the League cup, FA cup and the EFL trophy - so a guaranteed minimum of 5 cup games on top of 46 tougher league games. It’s a much better problem to have though.

LW has alluded to consistency, and I expect he and the club will maintain that. Slocombe does make mistakes BUT he is put under extra pressure in a sense of how much he’s expected to use his feet. LW recognises this whilst some fans still don’t. Slocombe is fairly certain to be at Notts next season as I expect him to be offered a contract and rightly so.

matt_magpie
14-05-2023, 09:32 AM
the biggest signing/appointment will be how we replace Jason Turner. Thought how the club honoured him yesterday was absolutely fantastic and also demonstrates what a miss he will be, absolute massive decision for the owners.

nw6pie
14-05-2023, 09:35 AM
I’m in no doubt that Macca has played both PO games injured.

We may never know. What we do now know is that he knows how to take the perfect penalty. That one yesterday was unstoppable - unless Archie Mair was in goal, anyway.

legs77
14-05-2023, 09:47 AM

Im not sure they have sussed him it seems teams have played a 6 man defence with two mids in front.

Chesterfield invited us onto them and you gotta be switched on a lot to defend like that.

Langstaff will score goals in league two as I expect more teams to go at us which gives us more space.

queenslandpie
14-05-2023, 09:49 AM
Who we buy depends on who leaves, who we sell and who is not deemed good enough for L2. It's really simple. I predict a mixture of all of those!

upthemaggies
14-05-2023, 10:04 AM
Thinking back to past Notts promotions, it's not obvious that sticking with the squad that got you up works or not.

1990 We didn't make many changes and it worked.
1991 big mistake not getting in new recruits, relegated.
1998 Another struggle after largely sticking with the same players for too long
2010 Broke up the title winning side and almost went straight back down.

Carlton_Pie
14-05-2023, 10:18 AM
Danny Johnson from Mansfield who’s just been released if Macca goes.

He's the complete opposite of the type of player we want to sign

Carlton_Pie
14-05-2023, 10:18 AM

Come on, we can do better than that.

Younger, hungry players with resale is the way we operate now

Carlton_Pie
14-05-2023, 10:19 AM
None of the defenders are anywhere near the level required. Maybe Chicksen as a left side in a 3 but Cameron Baldwin are error ridden. Rawlo has improved in a footballing sense but just not mobile enough. I've been disappointed that it wasn't addressed in part in the transfer window. Does Radar only do attacking players????

Cameron was immense yesterday and looked at least a league higher player.

Carlton_Pie
14-05-2023, 10:23 AM
Im not sure they have sussed him it seems teams have played a 6 man defence with two mids in front.

Chesterfield invited us onto them and you gotta be switched on alot to defend like that.

Langstaff will score goals in league two as I expect more teams to go at us which gives us more space.

Very good point. Most teams in NL set up with 5 at the back and 3 centre halves to occupy Macca. League 2 teams won't respect Notts as much (rightly too) and he will have more space to operate in.

bule1
14-05-2023, 10:25 AM
Make sure someone tells LW and the Reedtzs to hit the save button before doing anything. Always works for me :D

matt_magpie
14-05-2023, 10:25 AM
Cameron was immense yesterday and looked at least a league higher player.

I thought it took him quite a while to settle down. I think Baldwin is a class act and if we keep him fit he will be massive for us.
As for making mistakes, when you are constantly playing the ball out and also playing such a high line it can make defenders look a lot worse than they are.

Magpies1959
14-05-2023, 10:35 AM
Completely amazed by people who want Cameron gone. In a the highest pressure game you are going to get at this level, he was absolutely brilliant yesterday. One of those players LW is talking about when saying who wants to stand out in pressure situations and games.

GranthamPie
14-05-2023, 10:45 AM
To be honest, there’s only one or two that I would replace for next season …. Cameron being way way down that list.

Captain fantastic

TSANHO
14-05-2023, 10:58 AM
I was one recently who gave Cameron not stick exactly but more of a feeling that he hasn’t been great this season and wouldn’t be too sorry to see him leave if he did so.

Yesterday though he really stood up to the test. One of only 3 or 4 players that turned up for the first 45-50 minutes. He stood fast when the chips were down and he was partly responsible for the game not being out of sight by half time. I’m pleased for him and was delighted to see him lift the trophy!

BCnotts18
14-05-2023, 11:06 AM

I would agree with you if he hadn't just got 20+ goals in league one and was derby's best player this season.

MagpieNate
14-05-2023, 11:11 AM
Wouldn’t be surprised if we switch to a back 4 next year with Bostock in front dropping back between Cameron and Baldwin. We 100% need to reconsider this high line and defending balls into the channels. The only player I don’t see in this system is Nemane yet for the first half of every game he’s our main threat. Tricky job, luckily we have Luke Williams to figure this out.

Magpies1959
14-05-2023, 11:24 AM
Apparently McGoldrick was at the game yesterday. The 'model' is also not about just signing young players to hopefully sell for profit later on.

Chicken Balti Pie
14-05-2023, 11:38 AM
Apparently McGoldrick was at the game yesterday. The 'model' is also not about just signing young players to hopefully sell for profit later on.

Pretty sure McGoldrick is a Notts fan isn't he? Same as Bellshaw, the Bristol Rover keeper, he was there as well as he's a Notts fan

tommopie8
14-05-2023, 11:52 AM

If the choice is ours I expect that 4/5 will go and would hope to add 6/7 to the group. Next season will IMO require a slightly bigger squad to deal with the extra demand of cup competitions. We’ve moaned about the FA trophy but now we’ll be in the League cup, FA cup and the EFL trophy - so a guaranteed minimum of 5 cup games on top of 46 tougher league games. It’s a much better problem to have though.

LW has alluded to consistency, and I expect he and the club will maintain that. Slocombe does make mistakes BUT he is put under extra pressure in a sense of how much he’s expected to use his feet. LW recognises this whilst some fans still don’t. Slocombe is fairly certain to be at Notts next season as I expect him to be offered a contract and rightly so.

I'd let Slocombe go, we've managed to get Patterson and Mair on loan who have both outperformed Slocombe. We have Brooks as a back-up. If we're looking at weak areas of the squad it's GK, LWB and CB which will need the most attention.

We have the defensive, solid LWB option now we need a left-footed version of Nemane who can go past a player when we need a more attacking outlet.

Morais will be like a new signing but a fourth option up front of a different nature would be handy.

legs77
14-05-2023, 12:17 PM
I'd let Slocombe go, we've managed to get Patterson and Mair on loan who have both outperformed Slocombe. We have Brooks as a back-up. If we're looking at weak areas of the squad it's GK, LWB and CB which will need the most attention.

We have the defensive, solid LWB option now we need a left-footed version of Nemane who can go past a player when we need a more attacking outlet.

Morais will be like a new signing but a fourth option up front of a different nature would be handy.

Yeah Slocombe has been a solid signing for us and it’s possible he moves on he won’t find it hard to get another club either.

Our style doesn’t really suit him and yesterday he was shocking that might sound harsh but it was the truth he could have cost us I know LW wants us to take risks but it was getting to stage I was terrified everytime the ball went back to him.

With him being 35 next year it is possible LW values his experience and keeps him as back up ?

Elite_Pie
14-05-2023, 12:35 PM
One definite departure that has performed brilliantly all season is...... the Meadow Lane pitch.

It was being removed yesterday morning.

PedroTheFisherman66
14-05-2023, 01:21 PM
Cameron has to stay hes really quite good you know !!!
Time for slocombe to go only confirmed by his performance yesterday ! He has served us well but his time in a notts shirt should be over.
I would be happy for Brooks to take over the gloves.
Get Jodi signed up if his wage demands are realistic.
Is Nemane out of contract.? If so get him signed up asap before he goes on holiday.!
Rawlinson should go , much improved this season but unfortunately to slow for how we currently set upto play, would be a good signing for anyone playing a back four wanting experience! !...
RODDERS to resign would be the icing on the cake..
Macca is going, surely that is why we signed junior...

Elite_Pie
14-05-2023, 01:31 PM
RODDERS to resign would be the icing on the cake...

I hope for the opposite, I'd like to see him re-sign rather than resign!

uysapie
14-05-2023, 01:34 PM
the biggest signing/appointment will be how we replace Jason Turner. Thought how the club honoured him yesterday was absolutely fantastic and also demonstrates what a miss he will be, absolute massive decision for the owners.

Totally agree.

Davy500
14-05-2023, 01:55 PM

To be fair I thought the penalty was a bit harsh on Slocombe yesterday, Chesterfields player had already released the ball by the time Slocombe collided with him

countygump
14-05-2023, 02:09 PM
I bet my bro-in-law a tenner that we wouldn't get relegated in 2019. He gave it me back this morning.

https://i.postimg.cc/TYkGsZgQ/20190506-212457.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Jampie
14-05-2023, 02:14 PM
One definite departure that has performed brilliantly all season is...... the Meadow Lane pitch.

It was being removed yesterday morning.

B)

PedroTheFisherman66
14-05-2023, 02:31 PM
I hope for the opposite, I'd like to see him re-sign rather than resign!
🤣🤣🤣🤣...ooops...!!!

Bushwacka
14-05-2023, 04:13 PM

He scored more goals in L1 last season than everyone but Macca, Mullin and Effiong did in the NL.

He might not be a Football Radar type signing but would be a Luke Williams type signing. He'd add so much to everyone around him on the pitch and the squad in general with his experience. I think he'd be a shrewd signing.

bule1
14-05-2023, 04:24 PM
Guessing we will hear about who are not part of the future plans pretty soon. Think LW and the Reedtz would let them know ASAP to give them the best chance of securing a new contract elsewhere, which is the least the deserve.

legs77
14-05-2023, 04:33 PM
Guessing we will hear about who are not part of the future plans pretty soon. Think LW and the Reedtz would let them know ASAP to give them the best chance of securing a new contract elsewhere, which is the least the deserve.

Correct its the pro game players know how it works.

On signings somebody said a few weeks ago a Sutton United CB was at a game, so maybe he is one ?

Leics_Pie
14-05-2023, 05:58 PM
Football’s a ruthless business and no doubt they will have been planning with promotion in mind, as well as for if we hadn’t gone up.

The retained list will be interesting. Will probably need greater numbers and a few better options in some key positions.

Think the club has earned trust in the process though. I’m sure whoever they bring in will be well evidenced and thought through.

Elite_Pie
14-05-2023, 06:42 PM
Football’s a ruthless business and no doubt they will have been planning with promotion in mind, as well as for if we hadn’t gone up.

The retained list will be interesting. Will probably need greater numbers and a few better options in some key positions.

Think the club has earned trust in the process though. I’m sure whoever they bring in will be well evidenced and thought through.

That's how I see it. I've had my doubts, but the approach has worked so far.

Whatever we're doing, we need to keep doing it.

Big Bob
14-05-2023, 06:45 PM
I'd sign Archie Mair for a start

BanjoPie
14-05-2023, 07:12 PM

I’m not sure if Nemane’s defensive ability will be good enough in L2 - so a back 4 with Nemane as a winger is an option or we have a potentially better option at RWB in TAR if he can stay fit.

SmiffyPie
14-05-2023, 08:04 PM
As for making mistakes, when you are constantly playing the ball out and also playing such a high line it can make defenders look a lot worse than they are. Agree completely however, for fear of incurring the wrath of the "You know more than LW then!!" posters, all I would ask is why play that high line without at least getting one of the CB's to start dropping back once the ball is in the oppositions half? Perhaps those who stifle open discussion (you know who you are!) would care to consider the last half dozen games and count how many times a ball over the top or through our flat line defence has been played and scared the crap out of us? Am I being critical of the players and management? No, just asking you why this glaring issue hasn't been addressed. I am being critical of the half dozen or so posters who know as much, or as little, as the rest of us, but insist on ridiculing other posters who have the nerve to post personal opinion, yes l am.

uysapie
14-05-2023, 08:07 PM
Agree completely however, for fear of incurring the wrath of the "You know more than LW then!!" posters, all I would ask is why play that high line without at least getting one of the CB's to start dropping back once the ball is in the oppositions half? Perhaps those who stifle open discussion (you know who you are!) would care to consider the last half dozen games and count how many times a ball over the top or through our flat line defence has been played and scared the crap out of us? Am I being critical of the players and management? No, just asking you why this glaring issue hasn't been addressed. I am being critical of the half dozen or so posters who know as much, or as little, as the rest of us, but insist on ridiculing other posters who have the nerve to post personal opinion, yes l am.

Wouldn't that compromise the offside trap?

SmiffyPie
14-05-2023, 08:18 PM
The opposition can't be offside with a runner from their own half. That ball has been played numerous times and hurt us but we still push up flat.

ivansneck
14-05-2023, 08:26 PM
The opposition can't be offside with a runner from their own half. That ball has been played numerous times and hurt us but we still push up flat.
And we had our best ever season…

SmiffyPie
14-05-2023, 08:43 PM
And we had our best ever season…Of course we did, did I suggest we didn't? But what has that got to do with objective comments?

Proactive not Reactive
14-05-2023, 10:24 PM
Agree completely however, for fear of incurring the wrath of the "You know more than LW then!!" posters, all I would ask is why play that high line without at least getting one of the CB's to start dropping back once the ball is in the oppositions half? Perhaps those who stifle open discussion (you know who you are!) would care to consider the last half dozen games and count how many times a ball over the top or through our flat line defence has been played and scared the crap out of us? Am I being critical of the players and management? No, just asking you why this glaring issue hasn't been addressed. I am being critical of the half dozen or so posters who know as much, or as little, as the rest of us, but insist on ridiculing other posters who have the nerve to post personal opinion, yes l am.
Good points made there and obviously a lot of work required by LW in pre season
I’m old school and when I managed played a sweeper so didn’t give away cheap goals but understand that the pressing possession based football we play starts with Langstaff and for it to work everyone has to press(personally I think if we had gone a yard or two further back at Wrexham in the 2nd half I think we would have won) but LW is a top coach and technician and as the saying goes trusts the process so think he will stay with the same system as he likes us having control in midfield and bring better ball playing players in with a little more pace - think Baldwin this season.
It will be an interesting summer regarding ins and outs and we know of plenty of good players in the NL as shown with Langstaff and Scott last season.
Not saying we should sign them but like the following players this season Ashmore(keeper),Sowunmi (centre back) and Ndovlu (forward) who would give us more physicality without compromising on the football

Jeekay56
14-05-2023, 10:41 PM
Not saying we should sign them but like the following players this season Ashmore(keeper),Sowunmi (centre back) and Ndovlu (forward) who would give us more physicality without compromising on the football

I thought Ndovlu (Peter) was the strangest spelling of unlove, but yours (pre edit) was more creative. :)

jacobncfc
14-05-2023, 10:44 PM

McGoldrick was arguably the best player in League One last season. Derby are desperate to keep him.

For that reason it’s extremely unlikely, but if he does decide he fancies a final year with ‘his club’, we’d be mad not to go for it. Yes most of what we do is about signing potential and uncovered gems, but as with Bostock, if the opportunity is there to sign a higher league quality because the circumstances are right, you have to go for it.

SwalePie
15-05-2023, 01:02 AM
Is it the clearly copious amounts of beer talking or has the newly-Geordified Ruben signed a new 3-year contract as Macca claims?

Fingers crossed it isn't just the beer!

uysapie
15-05-2023, 01:11 AM
Is it the clearly copious amounts of beer talking or has the newly-Geordified Ruben signed a new 3-year contract as Macca claims?

Fingers crossed it isn't just the beer!

Where did that come from? Can't see Macca winding us up.

SwalePie
15-05-2023, 01:15 AM
Where did that come from? Can't see Macca winding us up.

An extremely drunk 'Instagram live' from the city centre on Ruben's account. Was also fun to see Luke Williams flying up Fletcher Gate on an e-scooter. The lads are very clearly having one hell of a day/night session to celebrate.

A few pics and videos from today on here... https://twitter.com/TheNottsHub (https://twitter.com/TheNottsHub)

tied_up_in_notts
15-05-2023, 01:21 AM
My first bit of business would be to add a couple of years onto Johnny Bostock's contract.
He was a Giant amongst Men at Wembley.

SwalePie
15-05-2023, 01:21 AM
My first bit of business would be to add a couple of years onto Johnny Bostock's contract.
He was a Giant amongst Men at Wembley.

Well said!

kill_the_drum
15-05-2023, 05:38 AM

I think the answer is to look at the season as a whole, not just a small selection of games. That shows you that the system works….overwhelmingly.
We play the high line to stop anyone passing through us. At the end of last season we all thought we needed a midfield enforcer as teams would often turn us over and catch us on the break. We never signed that combative midfielder, we just suffocated the opposition in their own half, forcing them to go long and give us back possession.
If we drop one defender deep then other players can get goal side of our players before the ball is played and be onside. That would cause way more problems with balls over the top.
Every system has a chink in the armour and this is no different. But 107 points, top goalscorers, 2nd lowest conceded and promoted suggests it’s far better than any other system we’ve played.
I don’t see any reason why we will go to a back 4 in league 2, and nor should we.
Aston Villa now play exactly the same system as us, since Emery took over, and they’ve shot up the league with exactly the same players.

Chicken Balti Pie
15-05-2023, 06:14 AM
I think the answer is to look at the season as a whole, not just a small selection of games. That shows you that the system works….overwhelmingly.
We play the high line to stop anyone passing through us. At the end of last season we all thought we needed a midfield enforcer as teams would often turn us over and catch us on the break. We never signed that combative midfielder, we just suffocated the opposition in their own half, forcing them to go long and give us back possession.
If we drop one defender deep then other players can get goal side of our players before the ball is played and be onside. That would cause way more problems with balls over the top.
Every system has a chink in the armour and this is no different. But 107 points, top goalscorers, 2nd lowest conceded and promoted suggests it’s far better than any other system we’ve played.
I don’t see any reason why we will go to a back 4 in league 2, and nor should we.
Aston Villa now play exactly the same system as us, since Emery took over, and they’ve shot up the league with exactly the same players.

We need a pacey centre back basically. Brindley playing is normally fine but if he's carrying an injury, we need someone else in. Love Rawlinson, but he's not fast and leads to us getting caught out against faster forwards

slack_pie
15-05-2023, 06:34 AM
I'm massively late to this thread, but here are my thoughts.

I don't think Ruben or Macca are going anywhere. Ruben will sign a new deal and nobody will meet our valuation of Macca. Both are happy where they are. If Macca scores 20+ goals in L2 and we don't get promoted then maybe next summer he'll be off.

Jodi Jones will sign a two-year deal.

There will be lots of rumours about LW leaving, but he won't leave.

Looking forward to seeing who we'll bring in!

countygump
15-05-2023, 08:49 AM
An extremely drunk 'Instagram live' from the city centre on Ruben's account. Was also fun to see Luke Williams flying up Fletcher Gate on an e-scooter. The lads are very clearly having one hell of a day/night session to celebrate.

A few pics and videos from today on here... https://twitter.com/TheNottsHub (https://twitter.com/TheNottsHub)

Love this one!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1657850028801638402

kill_the_drum
15-05-2023, 09:07 AM
We need a pacey centre back basically. Brindley playing is normally fine but if he's carrying an injury, we need someone else in. Love Rawlinson, but he's not fast and leads to us getting caught out against faster forwards

I agree. As a few others have said I think possibly a new GK/CB/LW but that’s taking nothing away from the players who have occupied those spots this year.

countygump
15-05-2023, 10:10 AM
Make of this what you will, just the messenger me , roight!

"Just been told McGoldrick has turned down Derby as he wants a player coach role with King Luke.
Louis John as per the pic above, and Ryan Boot Solihull Keeper".

WarsopPie
15-05-2023, 10:11 AM
I’d try and get josh Mcpake from Rangers to replace Chicksen and a bit controversial I’d attempt to get Tyler walker on loan from Coventry

TSANHO
15-05-2023, 10:14 AM
I’ll wager that whoever we get we will be either surprised or not have heard of them at all….exciting times! The only player I can remember hearing an accurate rumour about was Matty Palmer.

Edit: Am I right in thinking we still can’t sign any Jonny foreigners?

Chicken Balti Pie
15-05-2023, 10:27 AM

"Just been told McGoldrick has turned down Derby as he wants a player coach role with King Luke.

Louis John was at a match the other week so makes sense, same as Cal Roberts. McGoldrick wanting to end his career here also makes sense but isn't he just an older Morias? Quick striker with an eye for goal?

Ryan Boot worries me, before he was injured, I'd have had him in a heartbeat but he's no where close to what he has been this season, might be an Ok back up

jacobncfc
15-05-2023, 10:42 AM

Williams alluded to this slightly with BT at Wembley, but I think the main reason the high line was exposed more in the last few weeks has been that the players are knackered, so the pressure on the ball higher up the pitch hasn’t been quite the same and it’s easier to get the ball over the top away.

If there’s one lesson I’d take it’s that we probably need a slightly bigger squad so we can rotate a bit more. But I expect that’s going to happen anyway with us having more subs to play with.

matt_magpie
15-05-2023, 10:56 AM
I’d try and get josh Mcpake from Rangers to replace Chicksen and a bit controversial I’d attempt to get Tyler walker on loan from Coventry

Can’t see the Walker one, if we’re predominantly playing one up front I think we’ll just go with 3 and Mitchell will leave if we keep hold of Langstaff.

Leics_Pie
15-05-2023, 11:00 AM
What about someone like Charlie Raglan? Experienced CB used to playing right side of a back three which is obviously helpful for our system, as well as in a two, and pretty comfortable on the ball.

Released by Cheltenham last week and apparently wants to move somewhere he will get more games, so presumably happy to drop back down in to L2. Linked with Doncaster.

Doesn’t help with the pace issue though.

countygump
15-05-2023, 11:06 AM
Louis John was at a match the other week so makes sense, same as Cal Roberts. McGoldrick wanting to end his career here also makes sense but isn't he just an older Morias? Quick striker with an eye for goal?

Ryan Boot worries me, before he was injured, I'd have had him in a heartbeat but he's no where close to what he has been this season, might be an Ok back up

I personally think the McGoldrick one is unlikely. He scored 22 for Derby this season in L1 and has been offered a new contract there. Why would he come to Notts for most than likely less than half the money? Albeit he gets to undertake/learn some coaching as well. Can't see it meself.... Boot? I'm not fussed about that one either, as I honestly think we can do better.

laddo
15-05-2023, 11:26 AM

Being "just the messenger.." can be fraught with unexpected danger and hassle. Be careful out there countygump.

Looking at the players already under contract for next season, it's a really pleasing situation to be in, before we add the needed extra quality (and numbers?) to the squad. Well done Notts for ensuring stability and some consistency into next season regardless of the division.

Chicken Balti Pie
15-05-2023, 12:16 PM
I personally think the McGoldrick one is unlikely. He scored 22 for Derby this season in L1 and has been offered a new contract there. Why would he come to Notts for most than likely less than half the money? Albeit he gets to undertake/learn some coaching as well. Can't see it meself.... Boot? I'm not fussed about that one either, as I honestly think we can do better.

I agree, McGoldrick is unlikely but I can see it from McGoldrick's end, he's 35, I believe is a Notts fan and started his career here, might be one pushed for by him rather than by us is what I'm saying

slack_pie
15-05-2023, 12:33 PM
Don't know much about Forest's youth team, but there must be some quality players there who are dying for first-team action. Worked for us in the past.

jacobncfc
15-05-2023, 12:39 PM

Agree I can’t really see it, but if he did it would be for entirely sentimental reasons and the money would cease to matter - he’s a boyhood Notts fans and has hinted he’d like to finish his career here on a couple of occasions I think. Does seem the kind of free spirit who might do it as well, believe he doesn’t even have an agent, just does it himself.

Woodypie
15-05-2023, 03:16 PM
Agree I can’t really see it, but if he did it would be for entirely sentimental reasons and the money would cease to matter - he’s a boyhood Notts fans and has hinted he’d like to finish his career here on a couple of occasions I think. Does seem the kind of free spirit who might do it as well, believe he doesn’t even have an agent, just does it himself.
He was pants last time he came back to Notts on loan. Can't see it myself.

WarsopPie
15-05-2023, 04:51 PM
Just seen Craig Clay released from orient.
Clifton Lad and played for us all through his schoolboy days.
Maybe worth a look

BigFatPie
15-05-2023, 09:56 PM
If McGoldrick fancies coming we’ve got to be interested. 22 goals in League 1?

flukieireland
15-05-2023, 10:54 PM
any players from other NL sides impress this year and could make the jump to L2? Gks and Wrexham players aside.... I cannot think of many..

tied_up_in_notts
16-05-2023, 03:33 AM
Reliable people who are in a position to know are telling me that McGoldrick is a done deal. We shall see.

Notts78
16-05-2023, 06:20 AM
Reliable people who are in a position to know are telling me that McGoldrick is a done deal. We shall see.

Whether it happens, I won’t dispute that. Personally, I don’t think it can be a done deal yet. When would Notts have had time? Between preparing for the playoff campaign, Mr Turners funeral and the inevitable sore heads yesterday. I can’t see it.

I feel the club would have been looking after the current crop of players whose contracts are due to expire. Having those conversations first seems to be how this Notts regime works.

Chicken Balti Pie
16-05-2023, 06:25 AM
Whether it happens, I won’t dispute that. Personally, I don’t think it can be a done deal yet. When would Notts have had time? Between preparing for the playoff campaign, Mr Turners funeral and the inevitable sore heads yesterday. I can’t see it.

I feel the club would have been looking after the current crop of players whose contracts are due to expire. Having those conversations first seems to be how this Notts regime works.

Could be a verbal agreement that just needs i's dotting? Or even signed before playoffs with a clause it only happens if we go up?

Notts78
16-05-2023, 06:45 AM
Could be a verbal agreement that just needs i's dotting? Or even signed before playoffs with a clause it only happens if we go up?

Possibly. I just don’t see it. LW has been single minded over the past 2/3 weeks.
What we do know, from his interview, is that we are building on what we have rather than rebuilding. With 3 strikers already signed (assuming Macca goes no where), we have possibly 1 more slot in the squad. Someone of McGoldricks experience could be invaluable on and off the pitch.

Chicken Balti Pie
16-05-2023, 07:40 AM
Possibly. I just don’t see it. LW has been single minded over the past 2/3 weeks.
What we do know, from his interview, is that we are building on what we have rather than rebuilding. With 3 strikers already signed (assuming Macca goes no where), we have possibly 1 more slot in the squad. Someone of McGoldricks experience could be invaluable on and off the pitch.

You're forgetting that LW isn't the one who does the signings. We signed Scott and Langstaff whilst we didn't have a head coach at the club. LW would obviously be informed and involved but we have a whole recruitment team who does all this stuff now

Notts78
16-05-2023, 07:44 AM
You're forgetting that LW isn't the one who does the signings. We signed Scott and Langstaff whilst we didn't have a head coach at the club. LW would obviously be informed and involved but we have a whole recruitment team who does all this stuff now

Who do you think completed those signings?

Chicken Balti Pie
16-05-2023, 07:45 AM
Who do you think completed those signings?

Richard Montegue (apologies if I've butchered the name!) He's the recruitment guy bought over from Radar with the brothers to handle the recruitment side of things

Rez1862
16-05-2023, 09:51 AM
I don't think the club would make any signings without LW's nod (or at least involving him somewhere along the line).

On a separate note, I thought Akinola who came on for Chesterfield looked quite tidy. On loan from Arsenal I believe, he would offer something different in the middle if Arsenal would let him go out on loan to a L2 club (if they don't release him)

Chicken Balti Pie
16-05-2023, 11:25 AM
I don't think the club would make any signings without LW's nod (or at least involving him somewhere along the line).

On a separate note, I thought Akinola who came on for Chesterfield looked quite tidy. On loan from Arsenal I believe, he would offer something different in the middle if Arsenal would let him go out on loan to a L2 club (if they don't release him)

I'm not saying they would, I'm saying that he's not the one sorting it all out so the playoffs isn't a hindering factor

slack_pie
16-05-2023, 12:47 PM
I haven't seen an answer to the question about whether we can now sign more foreign players. Anyone know what the deal is with that?

I'm sure the owners alluded to this a while ago, saying that a big part of their initial strategy - and a big part of Football Radar's expertise - was to tap into foreign talent pools and spot hidden gems. Hopefully that's now a possibility again. It would give us a massive competitive advantage over pretty much every other club at this level.

Chicken Balti Pie
16-05-2023, 12:49 PM
I haven't seen an answer to the question about whether we can now sign more foreign players. Anyone know what the deal is with that?

I'm sure the owners alluded to this a while ago, saying that a big part of their initial strategy - and a big part of Football Radar's expertise - was to tap into foreign talent pools and spot hidden gems. Hopefully that's now a possibility again. It would give us a massive competitive advantage over pretty much every other club at this level.

In theory we can, but the likelihood of a league 2 player having enough points is extremely low

Proactive not Reactive
16-05-2023, 01:42 PM
John Bostock came similar circumstances and we didn’t expect that one.
Think we will have more interest from higher profile players as more people have heard/seen our style of football …it’s picking the right ones

BCnotts18
16-05-2023, 02:23 PM
Looking at the Derby forum to get their take on the McGoldrick situation, and apparently were interested Richard Keogh...

legs77
16-05-2023, 02:29 PM
Looking at the Derby forum to get their take on the McGoldrick situation, and apparently were interested Richard Keogh...

I hope not 37 in a few months and not the right profile if we play a high line either.

Id be looking at some gems in NL who are hungry to make the step up thats the way id go.

BCnotts18
16-05-2023, 02:36 PM
I hope not 37 in a few months and not the right profile if we play a high line either.

Id be looking at some gems in NL who are hungry to make the step up thats the way id go.

Exactly, as others have mentioned Omar Sowumni would be great; as would Tyler Cordner id think.

Notts78
16-05-2023, 02:42 PM
Exactly, as others have mentioned Omar Sowumni would be great; as would Tyler Cordner id think.

You don’t want too many NL players though. Too many of those could lead to disaster.
The reason we are successful in the NL is due to a decent number of players with EFL experience. That will be important even more so now in L2. Having a handful is OK, but I wouldn’t be filling up the squad with just up n coming NL players.

OP67
16-05-2023, 02:49 PM

XD Hardly a pair that Radar would be looking at, both months away from retiring.

legs77
16-05-2023, 03:21 PM
You don’t want too many NL players though. Too many of those could lead to disaster.
The reason we are successful in the NL is due to a decent number of players with EFL experience. That will be important even more so now in L2. Having a handful is OK, but I wouldn’t be filling up the squad with just up n coming NL players.

I think we'll do a mixture as you need the right blend.

I moaned for years about not tapping into non league and we signed 4 from NLN last year and all of them stepped up and played key roles.

EFL players are needed just not ones who are on their last legs.

BCnotts18
16-05-2023, 04:32 PM

No of course not. Like an EFL experienced keeper is ***** especially if Slocombe leaves, plus some EFL experience at the back and to replace the nuance O'brien had, who I assume will be leaving would also be beneficial, but there is certainly a lot of talent in the national league that could easily make the step up, that we shouldn't be ignoring.

BCnotts18
16-05-2023, 04:33 PM
No of course not. Like an EFL experienced keeper is ***** especially if Slocombe leaves, plus some EFL experience at the back and to replace the nuance O'brien had, who I assume will be leaving would also be beneficial, but there is certainly a lot of talent in the national league that could easily make the step up, that we shouldn't be ignoring.

Not sure why v1tal has been censored🤷*♂️

Chicken Balti Pie
16-05-2023, 04:35 PM
I think we'll do a mixture as you need the right blend.

I moaned for years about not tapping into non league and we signed 4 from NLN last year and all of them stepped up and played key roles.

EFL players are needed just not ones who are on their last legs.

McGoldrick is welcome, 22 goals in League 1 in a team that was patched together, wouldn't say his legs are gone just yet

Chicken Balti Pie
16-05-2023, 04:36 PM
Not sure why v1tal has been censored🤷*♂️

It's a R1val board, same as R1val so they've taken the mature approach and censored it...

legs77
16-05-2023, 04:55 PM
McGoldrick is welcome, 22 goals in League 1 in a team that was patched together, wouldn't say his legs are gone just yet

No I wasnt on about him though as he is clearly still got life life yet.

It is Keogh who is 37 hardly played last 3 years since a bad injury it has Ben Burgess written all over it.

matt_magpie
16-05-2023, 05:13 PM
I don’t think it will hurt to have another older head in the team/squad, when I say older, I’m thinking 31/32, someone we could get a 2 or 3 years from.
The facts are the clubs list of players will be in place and will have been for the past 3 or 4 months, one for promotion, one for still in the NL and some players on both.

It would be interesting if any have been sounded out already as Langstaff was long before he signed.
I do believe Notts now have the opportunity to sign the best available to league 2, along with Wrexham for different reasons, both clubs are seen to be on the up.

BCnotts18
16-05-2023, 05:16 PM
It's a R1val board, same as R1val so they've taken the mature approach and censored it...

Oh I see; thanks for the explanation👍

Notts78
16-05-2023, 05:53 PM

Have you not seen the clip where OB shouts from the coach ‘****ing going no where’? Or words to that affect. Also, after the game he spoke about his hopes that we do the same again next season.
I think he is here for another season, and I for one am glad. He still has plenty to offer.

jacobncfc
16-05-2023, 06:01 PM
Have you not seen the clip where OB shouts from the coach ‘****ing going no where’? Or words to that affect. Also, after the game he spoke about his hopes that we do the same again next season.
I think he is here for another season, and I for one am glad. He still has plenty to offer.

Thing with players like JOB and Rawlinson is that we’re going to need a much bigger squad next year anyway, so if we let them go we both lose their obvious huge influence in creating the amazing spirit that’s got us to this point and make our rebuilding job even bigger.

I think we can fairly assume that Kairo will be released, but beyond that even if we kept everyone we still only have a squad of 20, we’d be wanting another five or so on top of that I think at this level with more subs, more guaranteed cup games and the like.

I would expect a bit more movement than that, I think we’ll say thanks to Sloces but decide that’s an obvious area we can improve, and we’ll be likely to let at least one of Francis and Vincent leave. Ruben might well decide it’s time for a new challenge.

Basically, I think we’re in a position where we can both keep pretty much the entire team together and still make a few quality signings.

the_anticlough
16-05-2023, 06:05 PM
Thing with players like JOB and Rawlinson is that we’re going to need a much bigger squad next year anyway, so if we let them go we both lose their obvious huge influence in creating the amazing spirit that’s got us to this point and make our rebuilding job even bigger.

I think we can fairly assume that Kairo will be released, but beyond that even if we kept everyone we still only have a squad of 20, we’d be wanting another five or so on top of that I think at this level with more subs, more guaranteed cup games and the like.

I would expect a bit more movement than that, I think we’ll say thanks to Sloces but decide that’s an obvious area we can improve, and we’ll likely let at least one of Francis and Vincent leave. Ruben might well decide it’s time for a new challenge.

Basically, I think we’re in a position where we can both keep pretty much the entire team together and still make a few quality signings.

Agree with all of that. But I think we could be looking at about 4 new faces in the starting XI. Basically we need to add top quality to what we have already in a few key positions, but the squad can remain 75-80% the same.

PTID1862
16-05-2023, 06:11 PM
With our recruitment we are more than likely to have left field signings that quite a few will be less than impressed with...

To coin Laddo... #trusttheradar

nw6pie
16-05-2023, 07:36 PM

I would expect a bit more movement than that, I think we’ll say thanks to Sloces but decide that’s an obvious area we can improve, and we’ll likely let at least one of Francis and Vincent leave. Ruben might well decide it’s time for a new challenge.

It was mentioned earlier that you get a 22-man squad (plus keepers and players who were under 21 on 1/1/23), so no one will have a bigger squad than anyone else. The key thing is no dead wood, which we’ve generally done a lot better at in recent seasons (with the exception of Mitchell).

Chicken Balti Pie
16-05-2023, 07:44 PM
You'd have a 22 man squad of outfield players. We currently have about 22 total including loan players and 3 keepers. 19 players of which I can see 3 or 4 released, that's us needing to sign about 7 players, that's not losing any of our quality players either, obviously if Rodrigues leave, we'd need 8 but we have exciting times ahead

legs77
16-05-2023, 08:05 PM

JOB shouts out "I'm not f*cking leaving" in a Wolf of Wall Street pisstake.

laddo
16-05-2023, 08:23 PM
With our recruitment we are more than likely to have left field signings that quite a few will be less than impressed with...

To coin Laddo... #trusttheradar

Seriously I know I playfully take the 'Michael' out of the Negative Nellies, the doomsayers, the Moaning Minnie's, the melodramatic pitchforkers, the glass half empty or there is no glass brigade but if you can't #trusttheradar by now, then there is no hope for you. It won't continue, it can't continue, season on season improvement when it comes to recruitment but it's still going to be good right? More hits than misses? Better than the previous approaches?

nw6pie
16-05-2023, 09:43 PM
It’s going to be interesting to see how Junior Morais does next season. It’s clearly no coincidence that the more minutes Macca has needed to play in recent months - due to the lack of alternatives when both Scott and Morais were out injured - the less sharp he has looked.

In the first half of the season, LW was brilliant about giving him 60 or 70 minutes before subbing him off with the game won. We need to get back to that winning formula next season (assuming Macca stays), but will need another goalscorer on the bench to make it work. Let’s hope Cedwyn and Junior get a great pre-season and are raring to go on August 5.

Notts78
16-05-2023, 10:00 PM
It’s going to be interesting to see how Junior Morais does next season. It’s clearly no coincidence that the more minutes Macca has needed to play in recent months - due to the lack of alternatives when both Scott and Morais were out injured - the less sharp he has looked.

In the first half of the season, LW was brilliant about giving him 60 or 70 minutes before subbing him off with the game won. We need to get back to that winning formula next season (assuming Macca stays), but will need another goalscorer on the bench to make it work. Let’s hope Cedwyn and Junior get a great pre-season and are raring to go on August 5.

Cedwyn Scott is a very very good forward. He could easily have got 25-30 goals this season had he played more. There is definitely more to come from that lad.
Morais is going to be an unknown. We have to trust radar that they believe he’s good enough for whatever league we were going to be in.
Without knowing the retained list it’s tough to speculate. I believe we will keep the bulk of the squad and add another GK, LWB (Jodie Jones), CB and a forward. Do we possibly need another CM?

jacobncfc
16-05-2023, 10:03 PM
Cerwyn Scott is a very very good forward. He could easily have got 25-30 goals this season had he played more. There is definitely more to come from that lad.
Morais is going to be an unknown. We have to trust radar that they believe he’s good enough for whatever league we were going to be in.
Without knowing the retained list it’s tough to speculate. I believe we will keep the bulk of the squad and add another GK, LWB (Jodie Jones), CB and a forward. Do we possibly need another CM?

I think we definitely do, whether Jim stays or not. Ideally someone in that kind of mould but younger - we’ve got the controllers in Bostock and Palmer and then the creative types in Ruben (hopefully!) and Austin, but we could do with another box-to-box, physical option in midfield I think.

drillerpie
17-05-2023, 04:34 AM
I think we definitely do, whether Jim stays or not. Ideally someone in that kind of mould but younger - we’ve got the controllers in Bostock and Palmer and then the creative types in Ruben (hopefully!) and Austin, but we could do with another box-to-box, physical option in midfield I think.

Curtis Thompson?

TSANHO
17-05-2023, 05:38 AM
Curtis Thompson?

Bajrami could be that fellow….he needs a big year this year.

drillerpie
17-05-2023, 06:44 AM

Yeah, good point.

Notts78
17-05-2023, 06:52 AM

Baj clearly has some potential, as proven in games when he was very good. He also showed that he can be poor. Consistency is his biggest challenge.

I wonder what plans if any LW has for Vinny. He’s definitely a live wire who can play LWB or that box to box midfield role.

ncfcog
17-05-2023, 07:28 AM
I think it's clear that Baj is a very talented defensive midfielder, as a central defender there is still work to be done. Consistency and confidence will be the key.

i961pie
17-05-2023, 07:36 AM
We need a decent central defender with pace, Rawlinson will get caught out in div. 2 imo. And a decent left wing back than can take his man on and get crosses in. Chicksen can't do that.

Chicken Balti Pie
17-05-2023, 07:55 AM
I think it's clear that Baj is a very talented defensive midfielder, as a central defender there is still work to be done. Consistency and confidence will be the key.

Yeah, he's definitely a midfielder more than a centre back. With that in mind, I can see Francis leaving, Baj being the defensive midfielder or at least cover and a couple of new centre backs coming in

mattpie
17-05-2023, 10:42 AM
Curtis Thompson?

Wouldn't mind seeing that!

countygump
17-05-2023, 04:36 PM
Bristol City forward Sam Pearson is a summer transfer target for newly-promoted League Two side Notts County, Bristol Live understands, where he would be reunited with former Robins Under-23 coach Luke Williams.

The Magpies secured their return to the fourth tier after four seasons in the National League with a penalty shootout victory over Chesterfield on Saturday at Wembley and Williams, who's been in charge at Meadow Lane since last summer, has begun preparations for next term.

Williams served as City Under-23 coach between 2017 and 2019 during Pearson’s rise through the academy before the Wales Under-21 international embarked on a series of loan moves at Bath City, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Yeovil Town and most recently AFC Wimbledon where he made 16 appearances in League Two last season.

Former City academy performance analyst George Lawtey is also part of Williams’ staff, while former Robins U23 captain Aden Baldwin has been a regular presence in defence.

Pearson has one year remaining on his contract at Ashton Gate having been among four prospects to have signed extended terms in the summer of 2021 not long after Nigel Pearson was confirmed as manager on a long-term contract.

Of that group, Tommy Conway has established himself as a first-team regular, Owura Edwards remains on loan at Ross County with three games of the Scottish Premiership remaining, and the club holding an option on his deal which expires this summer, while Ryley Towler was sold to Portsmouth in January.

Pearson’s first-team opportunities at Ashton Gate appear limited and after enjoying a run in the senior side towards the end of the 2020/21 campaign, making five Championship appearances, he’s not played since.

Heading into the summer, City appear well-stocked for wide forwards, with Harry Cornick and Anis Mehmeti having arrived in the January window, and Sam Bell enjoying a breakthrough campaign.

With 12 months remaining on his deal, City will be seeking a fee for the 21-year-old who moved across the Severn from his native Cardiff in 2016. The club is unlikely to stand in his way should it become clear that Pearson wants to seek a new challenge in order to play more first-team football.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-notts-county-transfer-8448340

BCnotts18
17-05-2023, 05:38 PM
Bristol City forward Sam Pearson is a summer transfer target for newly-promoted League Two side Notts County, Bristol Live understands, where he would be reunited with former Robins Under-23 coach Luke Williams.

The Magpies secured their return to the fourth tier after four seasons in the National League with a penalty shootout victory over Chesterfield on Saturday at Wembley and Williams, who's been in charge at Meadow Lane since last summer, has begun preparations for next term.

Williams served as City Under-23 coach between 2017 and 2019 during Pearson’s rise through the academy before the Wales Under-21 international embarked on a series of loan moves at Bath City, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Yeovil Town and most recently AFC Wimbledon where he made 16 appearances in League Two last season.

Former City academy performance analyst George Lawtey is also part of Williams’ staff, while former Robins U23 captain Aden Baldwin has been a regular presence in defence.

Pearson has one year remaining on his contract at Ashton Gate having been among four prospects to have signed extended terms in the summer of 2021 not long after Nigel Pearson was confirmed as manager on a long-term contract.

Of that group, Tommy Conway has established himself as a first-team regular, Owura Edwards remains on loan at Ross County with three games of the Scottish Premiership remaining, and the club holding an option on his deal which expires this summer, while Ryley Towler was sold to Portsmouth in January.

Pearson’s first-team opportunities at Ashton Gate appear limited and after enjoying a run in the senior side towards the end of the 2020/21 campaign, making five Championship appearances, he’s not played since.

Heading into the summer, City appear well-stocked for wide forwards, with Harry Cornick and Anis Mehmeti having arrived in the January window, and Sam Bell enjoying a breakthrough campaign.

With 12 months remaining on his deal, City will be seeking a fee for the 21-year-old who moved across the Severn from his native Cardiff in 2016. The club is unlikely to stand in his way should it become clear that Pearson wants to seek a new challenge in order to play more first-team football.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-notts-county-transfer-8448340

2 goals in 11 for Yeovil and none in 16 for Wimbledon this season...doesn't sound too promising.

durhampie
17-05-2023, 06:07 PM
2 goals in 11 for Yeovil and none in 16 for Wimbledon this season...doesn't sound too promising.

That doesn't sound like a radar signing. If LW is reportedly interested in this guy, then i suggest he leaves it to those who know best.. Stick to what you are good at Luke..

legs77
17-05-2023, 06:24 PM
That doesn't sound like a radar signing. If LW is reportedly interested in this guy, then i suggest he leaves it to those who know best.. Stick to what you are good at Luke..

Like signing Baldwin and Bostock you mean ?

CamPie
17-05-2023, 08:01 PM

Another player dismissed by the “experts”. Folks on here need to start to realise that the current administration can be trusted.

countygump
17-05-2023, 10:02 PM

I think he's more of a winger/midfielder than a centre forward. He did make a few appearances for the 1st team in 2022, but his progress has stalled a bit since then. Doesnt look like he'll be coming without a fee being paid either.

Glad2BeAPie
18-05-2023, 04:13 AM
I think he's more of a winger/midfielder than a centre forward. He did make a few appearances for the 1st team in 2022, but his progress has stalled a bit since then. Doesnt look like he'll be coming without a fee being paid either.
We might as well keep Mitchell

Carlton_Pie
18-05-2023, 05:41 AM
We might as well keep Mitchell

Well done for writing a player off without having seen them play.

Russ_OTF
18-05-2023, 06:53 AM
I doubt any of these outlets know who we are signing and clutching at straws with this one due to the LW links.

The way we operate mostly means signings aren't known until they show up at meadow lane for a photo.

Notts78
18-05-2023, 06:56 AM
Amazing. A player gets ‘linked’ with Notts and all of a sudden fans on a forum become experts. It amazes me that folk like Durham still don’t get how our recruitment works. IF LW has targeted this lad, he would take it to the ‘recruitment panel’, they then discuss and analyse the player before a decision is reached. From what we have been told this process is very much a team decision, rather than LW or anyone else’s.
I don’t know this lad. I have never seen him play. He is 21 and played at struggling clubs. The so called experts wouldn’t have wanted Macca at 21 either and look how that has turned out.
Whether this or any other signing of young players are signed, we need to look beyond Wiki stats.
Leave it to the process. Trust the process. It won’t be 100% perfect, but so far it’s got far more right than wrong.

Proactive not Reactive
18-05-2023, 07:33 AM

Durham you said he wasn't that good in his main job - he tinkered too much and anyone could get this squad of players promoted ?

Chicken Balti Pie
18-05-2023, 07:40 AM
I doubt any of these outlets know who we are signing and clutching at straws with this one due to the LW links.

The way we operate mostly means signings aren't known until they show up at meadow lane for a photo.

Depends if the leak is on Bristol City's side with this one

slack_pie
18-05-2023, 07:46 AM

Wiki has him as a midfielder, not a forward. No idea if that's right or not.

countygump
18-05-2023, 08:03 AM
Wiki has him as a midfielder, not a forward. No idea if that's right or not.

Apparently we're being linked with Joe Sbarra, yet again!!!

I had a Sbarra, the wheel fell orffffffff........

countygump
18-05-2023, 08:13 AM
Is Rubes pished again!

SwalePie
18-05-2023, 10:10 AM
Is Rubes pished again!

Definitely but respectfully hammered.

countygump
18-05-2023, 10:17 AM
Nice-ish sort of a tribute to NCFC's achievement from a Wrexham fan, but not without a few barbs thrown in.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬ ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
I’m absolutely thrilled that Notts County are joining us in the EFL next season.

Quite apart from the massive injustice of recording the second-highest points total in the history of league football in Britain and still not going up, I wouldn’t wish upon anybody the frustration Wrexham have been carrying round since 2012.

That was the year we compiled a phenomenal 98 points. Until this season, it remained the most achieved by a side which wasn’t promoted in the history of the league pyramid. The obstacle that season was a Fleetwood Town freakishly fuelled by Jamie Vardy’s goals.

It was heart-breaking to see such a phenomenal campaign end in disappointment, and I didn’t want to see a side which managed a further 13 points than Andy Morrell’s superb side suffer the same experience.

Instead, although there was a sense, sparked by Wrexham’s performance on Easter Monday, that teams had worked out a way to counter County’s style of play by restricting the supply line from Ruben Rodrigues, John Bostock and Matty Palmer to Macauley Langstaff, they squeezed their way past Boreham Wood and Chesterfield to claim what is rightfully theirs.

Their story is peppered with remarkable achievements which deserved the ultimate reward. The scale of Langstaff’s goalscoring feats can be summarised in one telling phrase: he scored more than Paul Mullin!

Rodrigues’ passing and finishing had been decisive all season, and Wrexham fans might argue his ability to pick the right moment to fall over was important too! His form collapsed at the end of the season, but he clearly should be playing at a higher level.

Aaron Nemane and Adam Chicksen have been outstanding examples of how to stretch the play with wing-backs. Palmer is one of the best midfielders I’ve seen in 15 years at this level, and Luke Williams, appointed 5 years after his only previous management job ended in relegation for Swindon, justified the club’s faith in him in spades.

I have reservations about the efficacy of his mind games as the run-in unfolded. He admitted that his constant protestations that the title was already won was an attempt to prepare his side for an extension to the season, but I’m not sure it will have filled them with confidence. However, when a manager has made as many great decisions as he has this season, you’ve got to allow him an error or two. After all, he’s good, but he’s no Phil Parkinson!

County are a classy club with a sense of perspective and a knowledge that football is much more than a game. Seeing their staff suffer the penalty shoot-out alongside a portrait of former CEO Jason Turner, who tragically died just weeks earlier, was the most poignant moment of the most emotional season.

2022-23 was a remarkable season for us, and the performances, results and points total were all our own work. Getting out of the National League had become a quest, and we were desperate to complete it. Winning the league by a country mile with no opposition in sight would have been wonderfully satisfying. But it was Notts County who made it epic.

County’s challenge creates story-lines. The resumption of our contest in League Two will be one of the fixtures we’ll be looking out for when the season’s schedule is released. With the two sides which dramatically thwarted us last season, Stockport County and Grimsby Town, also potentially on the agenda, there will be some memorable match-ups next season, and narratives which potentially could stretch across seasons.

That’s mouth-watering for fans, but. In the 1990s I remember looking forward to games with Stockport, Tranmere and Crewe as the four teams scaled the leagues simultaneously. There’s an extra level of excitement, though, because those story-lines play into the narrative of “Welcome to Wrexham”.

The longer the show is popular, the longer we’ll be able to capitalise upon that and accrue more international fans. Having new instalments of familiar rivalries will make for compelling viewing, in the stadiums and on your chosen streaming platform.

Ironically, by making the title race such a nail-biter, County have potentially made us an even tougher proposition for next season. The second season of “Welcome to Wrexham” is bound to be an absolute blockbuster, with the drama of our titanic tussle with them for the title. A title which was won by Christmas would be rather less gripping television!

Instead, there’ll be the melodrama of Ben Foster’s penalty save and the incredible visuals of the trophy lift and the parade through town. That will be what is called “Appointment to View TV”!

County’s stout resistance, and their refusal to throw in the towel in the face of an opponent who was compiling the best season of results in the history of domestic football, was heroic. However, it will probably result in us making more money and gaining more fans than if they’d failed to put up a fight!

Next season, they might wish they’d finished 20 points behind us and won in the play-offs!

However they did it though, justice has been served. It would have been an absolute disgrace if they hadn’t joined us in League Two next season, after the remarkable sequence of results they put together last season. I’m glad they haven’t had to suffer that Fleetwood feeling.

SwalePie
18-05-2023, 10:30 AM
Nice-ish sort of a tribute to NCFC's achievement from a Wrexham fan, but not without a few barbs thrown in.

Where's that one from gumpy?

countygump
18-05-2023, 11:00 AM
Where's that one from gumpy?

Naughty me, forgot to add the linky.

https://wrexhamfan.wordpress.com/2023/05/18/county-get-what-they-deserve/

laddo
18-05-2023, 12:37 PM
Good work gump. You are more thorough than Lt. Columbo

Magpies1959
18-05-2023, 01:00 PM
I reckon some Wrexham fans think they are f*ckin' Man Utd with their worldwide appeal. If Ryan Reynolds was an ugly git it would get rid of all the plastic women fans across the globe.

Notts78
18-05-2023, 02:11 PM
I reckon some Wrexham fans think they are f*ckin' Man Utd with their worldwide appeal. If Ryan Reynolds was an ugly git it would get rid of all the plastic women fans across the globe.

Remember when we were gonna dominate the world under Munto?

Magpies1959
18-05-2023, 03:11 PM
We never thought we were massive around the world though.

marky
18-05-2023, 05:42 PM
Mansfield have signed Will Swan who was on loan there last season, their fans reckon he's the new Chris Greenacre.

WarsopPie
18-05-2023, 08:07 PM
Mansfield have signed Will Swan who was on loan there last season, their fans reckon he's the new Chris Greenacre.

Very Good signing for them for an undisclosed fee, some of the Mansfield lads at work reckon if he stays injury free he’s an easy 25 goals next term for them.
Surprised Forest let him go and didn’t give him another year.

OchPie
23-05-2023, 09:45 AM
Notts' Twitter this morning tweeting a pic of Jodi Jones... maybe...?

OchPie
23-05-2023, 10:04 AM
Notts' Twitter this morning tweeting a pic of Jodi Jones... maybe...?

Confirmed - two year deal for JJ

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2023/may/jodi-jones-permanent-deal-220523/

ncfcog
23-05-2023, 10:12 AM
Fantastic news. Wouldn't be surprised to see him transition to a No10 if Ruben goes, certainly has all the right attributes.

Proactive not Reactive
23-05-2023, 01:19 PM
Fantastic news. Wouldn't be surprised to see him transition to a No10 if Ruben goes, certainly has all the right attributes.

ncfcog - What's to stop Ruben and Jodi both being No 10's ?
Thanks for the mug btw

ncfcog
23-05-2023, 01:23 PM
ncfcog - What's to stop Ruben and Jodi both being No 10's ?

Absolutely no reason whatsoever, in fact I like a system with two No10's!

Thanks for the mug btw

You're welcome!

WarsopPie
23-05-2023, 03:44 PM
Scott Arfield from rangers that would be a signing of intent.
Free agent in June and is currently on approx £3k a week at Ibrox.

BCnotts18
23-05-2023, 08:19 PM
All retained lists released by football league clubs.

https://footballfragmento.wordpress.com/tag/championship-released-players/

Magpies1959
23-05-2023, 08:51 PM
Wow I wouldn't like the job of seeing if any of them were potential signings lol.

BCnotts18
23-05-2023, 10:17 PM
Wow I wouldn't like the job of seeing if any of them were potential signings lol.

I guess it just shows how good a job the radar is doing at finding gems throughout lists like this and with contracted players added on top too.

The work they do is brilliant and having watched a lot of notts matches from the last 8 or so years recently, with some absolutely horrendous players involved, it really is quite nice to have so much confidence in the recruitment team.

Glad2BeAPie
24-05-2023, 11:31 AM
Get Enzio back

Old_pie
24-05-2023, 12:43 PM
Absolutely no reason whatsoever, in fact I like a system with two No10's!

I thought Ruben was No 20 'cause he's worth two No10s!

slack_pie
24-05-2023, 12:49 PM
Get Enzio back

No thanks.

durhampie
24-05-2023, 12:49 PM
Get Enzio back

I wouldn't be surprised if we were to sign a couple of foreign players that we have never heard of..

laddo
24-05-2023, 12:59 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we were to sign a couple of foreign players that we have never heard of..

I do hope so#radar

ncfcog
24-05-2023, 01:02 PM
I thought Ruben was No 20 'cause he's worth two No10s!

Very good point!

Bushwacka
24-05-2023, 01:05 PM
I do hope so#radar

I doubt there are any that we can afford who would pass the work visa requirements.

laddo
24-05-2023, 01:07 PM
Boooooooo! So likely it will be the short range radar only. Never mind that's worked wonders to date too.

slack_pie
24-05-2023, 01:09 PM
I doubt there are any that we can afford who would pass the work visa requirements.

What are the work visa requirements, and how do they relate to how much a player is worth?

uysapie
24-05-2023, 01:24 PM
What are the work visa requirements, and how do they relate to how much a player is worth?

https://www.brabners.com/blogs/football-and-immigration-considering-various-routes-entry

Notts78
24-05-2023, 01:47 PM

Is it that difficult? Cricket clubs like Hucknall pay for a pro to come over… I think this this season he’s from Namibia.

ncfcog
24-05-2023, 02:02 PM
Is it that difficult? Cricket clubs like Hucknall pay for a pro to come over… I think this this season he’s from Namibia.

It's a bit of a minefield. The points scoring has an emphasis on the players career to date both in the league they've been playing in and the number of times they have represented their country. If they are a top class player moving to the Premier league for example then they will find obtaining the work permit very easy as PL clubs also get an automatic pass if you like. For Notts, we can still try to sign players but they will need to score a minimum amount of points and the best way to do this is to have a clear number of national appearances for their country. We might have a chance at signing the best player in Luxembourg for example but even then their wage demands could be very high.

The cricketer from Namibia might have lots of international matches behind him so probably easier to get the necessary points?

Magpies1959
24-05-2023, 02:16 PM
I guess we could be looking at a Jodi Jones type player, who has a number of appearances for Malta.

Chicken Balti Pie
24-05-2023, 02:25 PM
I guess we could be looking at a Jodi Jones type player, who has a number of appearances for Malta.

Jodi Jones represents Malta but as far as I am aware, he isn't an international signing as he was born in the UK?

tommopie8
24-05-2023, 02:37 PM
I did the points system for Ruben out of curiosity and it fell way short. I'm sure if we've offered a contract that it doesn't apply anyhow.

I know it's a game but FM let's him play until January 2024 and then doesn't let you extend his work permit.

Unless we're after Faroe Islands players and that ilk I think we'll have to stick to UK signings.

Chicken Balti Pie
24-05-2023, 02:39 PM
I did the points system for Ruben out of curiosity and it fell way short. I'm sure if we've offered a contract that it doesn't apply anyhow.

I know it's a game but FM let's him play until January 2024 and then doesn't let you extend his work permit.

Unless we're after Faroe Islands players and that ilk I think we'll have to stick to UK signings.

Ruben I'm assuming has indefinite leave to remain as he was here before the cutoff which was I think end of 2020

tommopie8
24-05-2023, 02:42 PM
Good stuff. Has he taken his Instagram down?

countygump
24-05-2023, 02:52 PM
A little bird tells me Nemane may well have signed on the dotted?

BCnotts18
24-05-2023, 03:02 PM

Some notts fans getting excited because the official twitter has removed their pinned post, potentially to make way for a new one; perhaps Nemane's renewal?

Jeekay56
24-05-2023, 03:04 PM

It wasn't Wrexham Kate was it? (see Highs and Lows thread)

WarsopPie
24-05-2023, 03:14 PM
Deadline day I posted we should have been looking at Bailey Hobson from Alfreton, he signed for Chesterfield today that’s a Gem that’s slipped the net.

ncfcog
24-05-2023, 03:28 PM
Deadline day I posted we should have been looking at Bailey Hobson from Alfreton, he signed for Chesterfield today that’s a Gem that’s slipped the net.

Hobson definitely had a good season but the problem we have with him is he plays in a position we already have very good options in. Also, he may have been a good signing in the National League but I think we have to set our sights a bit higher now. We need players that are going to hit the ground running, make their mark from day one and have a positive impact on the squad. Jodi Jones is a clear example of the quality the club will be working hard to bring in, I don't think we will be looking to take on development players whose only game time is likely to come in the Papa John's against Sunderland's U23's. It was fine as cover in non-league but not if we have real aspirations of challenging for back to back promotions.

countygump
24-05-2023, 03:59 PM
Any more bids?

ncfcog
24-05-2023, 04:04 PM
Any more bids?

I'm assuming that's a concept kit but whatever it is it's much more preferrable to this seasons.

SwalePie
24-05-2023, 04:08 PM
Good stuff. Has he taken his Instagram down?

If you meant Ruben he's here...

https://www.instagram.com/rubenrodriguesx/ (https://www.instagram.com/rubenrodriguesx/)

BCnotts18
24-05-2023, 04:29 PM
If you meant Ruben he's here...

https://www.instagram.com/rubenrodriguesx/ (https://www.instagram.com/rubenrodriguesx/)

Lots of rumours suggesting he's off to Derby going round.

countygump
24-05-2023, 04:29 PM
I'm assuming that's a concept kit but whatever it is it's much more preferrable to this seasons.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, chocolate.

BanjoPie
24-05-2023, 04:42 PM
lots of rumours suggesting he's off to derby going round.

you just started the rumour!

BCnotts18
24-05-2023, 04:50 PM
you just started the rumour!

If you say so👍

https://twitter.com/League1news22/status/1661403379652874244?s=20

https://twitter.com/JBryanfootball/status/1661403109942231042?s=20

durhampie
24-05-2023, 05:18 PM
Is it this Friday when we are suppose to know if those offered contracts will sign or not...???

BanjoPie
24-05-2023, 05:18 PM
>:(>:(>:(

BanjoPie
24-05-2023, 05:19 PM
is it this friday when we are suppose to know if those offered contracts will sign or not...???

would have thought that those who want to re-sign would have done so by now!

durhampie
24-05-2023, 05:20 PM

That's much better than the last seasons bland shirt..

PedroTheFisherman66
24-05-2023, 05:24 PM
If you say so👍

https://twitter.com/League1news22/status/1661403379652874244?s=20

https://twitter.com/JBryanfootball/status/1661403109942231042?s=20

Speaking of rumours let's not forget the one that RODDERS had signed a new 3 year contract for us.

BCnotts18
24-05-2023, 05:28 PM
>:(>:(>:(

My thoughts exactly, if it's true at least. Another account conveying the rumour is Notts county zone and its unrepeatable to say the least so perhaps there is some hope.

BanjoPie
24-05-2023, 05:30 PM
my thoughts exactly, if it's true at least. Another account conveying the rumour is notts county zone and its unrepeatable to say the least so perhaps there is some hope.

fingers & legs crossed !!

the_anticlough
24-05-2023, 05:56 PM
Lots of rumours suggesting he's off to Derby going round.

He'd be re-united with his number one fan, Leigh Curtis

matt_magpie
24-05-2023, 10:31 PM

It’s not going to be that simple, there’s absolutely no doubt for example with Ruben he will have received a couple of offers and he would be sensible to go back to Notts and see if they are willing to counter offer and some of the other players could be a similar position.

slack_pie
25-05-2023, 06:26 AM
If Derby are serious, I can't see Ruben turning it down. It's a massive step up and a club that should be back in the Championship soon. He wouldn't have to relocate either. Top end of L1 is about where he should be.

Will it work out for him if he goes? No idea. If he plays like he can, he'll be a good addition to their squad. If he plays like he did in the playoffs, he'll be their scapegoat for the season.

Alternatively, he could just stay at Notts and become a club legend.

DomdomPie
25-05-2023, 06:40 AM
Possible replacement if Ruben leaves…?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65705567

keldsyke
25-05-2023, 06:43 AM
It’s not going to be that simple, there’s absolutely no doubt for example with Ruben he will have received a couple of offers and he would be sensible to go back to Notts and see if they are willing to counter offer and some of the other players could be a similar position.

Absolutely, and players contracts revolve around the 1st of June so there is plenty of negotiating time left, tbh unless it was an offer you couldn't turn down you play the waiting game.

laddo
25-05-2023, 06:56 AM
Although naturally disappointed, if Ruben chose Derby County FC, he would go with my blessing.

On a free transfer I'm not surprised they are interested, doubtful but let's hope those two sub standard playoff performances in front of Mr Warne et al put them off his signature.

Old_pie
25-05-2023, 06:57 AM
If Derby are serious, I can't see Ruben turning it down. It's a massive step up and a club that should be back in the Championship soon. He wouldn't have to relocate either. Top end of L1 is about where he should be.

Will it work out for him if he goes? No idea. If he plays like he can, he'll be a good addition to their squad. If he plays like he did in the playoffs, he'll be their scapegoat for the season.

Alternatively, he could just stay at Notts and become a club legend.

And be in League 1 in another season's time :star::star:

slack_pie
25-05-2023, 07:11 AM
And be in League 1 in another season's time :star::star:

I guess money is a big factor as well. They could easily triple his wages.

If he does go, I hope he plays regularly and does well. It would be a shame to see him do a Cal Roberts and disappear off the radar.

countygump
25-05-2023, 07:36 AM
Although naturally disappointed, if Ruben chose Derby County FC, he would go with my blessing.

If he does go, I'm sure that would apply to all of us. He'd depart with our thanks and our best wishes for his future, he's been a gudden for us.

legs77
25-05-2023, 09:46 AM
I’m not surprised he is linked to Derby as I remember Rotherham were reported to be interested in him a year or so ago.

Warne used to manage Rotherham so that is where the link probably comes from

matt_magpie
25-05-2023, 11:15 AM
I guess money is a big factor as well. They could easily triple his wages.

If he does go, I hope he plays regularly and does well. It would be a shame to see him do a Cal Roberts and disappear off the radar.

Exactly and that’s extremely difficult to turn down, he won’t have made a lot out of football so far but that could be a game changer for him. I doubt we can compete anywhere near them and that’s what makes me think there’s no chance Mcgoldrick will come the other way either.

jacobncfc
25-05-2023, 11:18 AM

They’re likely to all be on holiday. No surprise Jones is the only one we’ve heard anything about so far because his season isn’t over yet, he’s got Malta duty in a week or two.

jacobncfc
25-05-2023, 11:19 AM
On Ruben, obviously love him to stay, but Derby is a move you couldn’t begrudge him. More than earned his chance at a bigger club and higher level.

SwalePie
25-05-2023, 11:29 AM
Some paper talk about interest in Macca...

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-notts-county-face-transfer-battle-as-wrexham-plymouth-argyle-ipswich-town-circle/ (https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-notts-county-face-transfer-battle-as-wrexham-plymouth-argyle-ipswich-town-circle/)

Chicken Balti Pie
25-05-2023, 11:33 AM
Derby aren't allowed to spend crazy amounts on players. It won't be the amounts people think if they're offering. Don't the EFL still have to approve their transfers as well?

durhampie
25-05-2023, 11:38 AM

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-notts-county-face-transfer-battle-as-wrexham-plymouth-argyle-ipswich-town-circle/ (https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-notts-county-face-transfer-battle-as-wrexham-plymouth-argyle-ipswich-town-circle/)

The fact that he still has 2 years left on his contract, i would not let him go for under 2 million.. If by any chance Wrexham or whoever does meet the valuation, then we have a ready-made replacement in Scott..

slack_pie
25-05-2023, 12:39 PM

I seem to remember our owners saying they wouldn't sell our best players to a rival in the same division. I would imagine that still stands, so you can rule Wrexham out. Perhaps they'd change their stance if they offered £2 million though.

To be honest, I'm not sure they even need him. They've got Mullin as the main man, with two perfectly adequate foils in Palmer and Dalby. They signed Billy Waters as well a few months ago.

If/when he does go, I'm confident that Scott can step up, with Morias and perhaps a new striker providing solid backup. Scott would have been third top scorer with ease last season if he'd had a run of games up front.

nw6pie
25-05-2023, 12:58 PM

Wrexham are the only club who might be able to afford him in the lower leagues - and even then that would still require a lot more money than their previous signings. A Championship side makes most sense, but again there aren’t many clubs spending a million on a player these days - especially someone who has never played in the EFL before.

slack_pie
25-05-2023, 01:01 PM
Wrexham are the only club who might be able to afford him in the lower leagues - and even then that would still require a lot more money than their previous signings. A Championship side makes most sense, but again there aren’t many clubs spending a million on a player these days - especially someone who has never played in the EFL before.

As you said, spending on a million-plus on a player who's 26 and has never played league football is a massive risk. Not many clubs can afford that in the first place, and if they can, they would probably rather someone with proven pedigree at L1/Championship level. At the same time, I don't think we'll be willing to let him go for less than a million.

Wrexham might be the only club able to spend that kind of money, and it's a fair bet that Macca will do well at L2 level, but will we really sell our best player to a direct rival? I would hope not, given that we don't need to.

On this subject, I was looking on the Derby message board earlier to see what they were saying about Ruben, and a few fans there thought they were after Macca as well. That would make more sense.

laddo
25-05-2023, 01:07 PM
If someone offered £2m I would snap their hand off, and give them £100k back as a thank you.

£2m for a L2 player?!?!

slack_pie
25-05-2023, 01:11 PM
If someone offered £2m I would snap their hand off, and give them £100k back as a thank you.

£2m for a L2 player?!?!

Yeah, fair enough. We could turn our current squad into a top-3 contender with that amount.

nw6pie
25-05-2023, 01:13 PM
On this subject, I was looking on the Derby message board earlier to see what they were saying about Ruben, and a few fans there thought they were after Macca as well. That would make more sense.

Do Derby have the funds to buy Macca, though? I’d be surprised, though maybe they’d make a cheeky offer (say, £250k) and hope to turn his head.

If you want a leftfield idea, Celtic and Rangers would both easily have the funds and we’ve already seen players go to the Scottish Premiership from Notts (even if the results weren’t great).

durhampie
25-05-2023, 01:37 PM
He is under contract, so we can ask whatever we like.If there are no takers, then he stays with us, and hopefully his valuation increases over the coming season. And I wouldn't be daft enough to give anyone £100k back.

WarsopPie
25-05-2023, 01:39 PM
It’ll probably be one of them, if they take Rueben Derby will swing so we can have Mcgoldrick that’s how crazy football is these days

laddo
25-05-2023, 01:46 PM
He is under contract, so we can ask whatever we like.If there are no takers, then he stays with us, and hopefully his valuation increases over the coming season. And I wouldn't be daft enough to give anyone £100k back.

What if it was £10m Durhampie? It's like throwing a chip back to the croupier when you hit big!

Obviously it was just to emphasise that £2m is a very full price for anyone (about) to operate at L2 level. How many £2m buys have there been at tier 4/5 level.

laddo
25-05-2023, 01:48 PM
Do Derby have the funds to buy Macca, though? I’d be surprised, though maybe they’d make a cheeky offer (say, £250k) and hope to turn his head.

If you want a leftfield idea, Celtic and Rangers would both easily have the funds and we’ve already seen players go to the Scottish Premiership from Notts (even if the results weren’t great).

No I don't believe they have. Better to get Ruben on a free and throw big wages at him..

durhampie
25-05-2023, 02:27 PM
How many players score 42 goals in a season from open play? That's the carrot which will tempt those willing to take a chance on him. 2 million is nothing in today's transfer market...

BanjoPie
25-05-2023, 02:41 PM
How many players score 42 goals in a season from open play? That's the carrot which will tempt those willing to take a chance on him. 2 million is nothing in today's transfer market...

He may be tempted by the salary but could well find himself as a bench-warmer if things don't click for him with a different style of football, that would knock his confidence and he could find himself being loaned out to clubs in the lower leagues before too long! - If he stayed with Notts and has another cracking season in L2 then he may well find that Championship or even Premier clubs will be after him.

"If you are reading this Macca"

"STAY WITH NOTTS". - You know it makes sense!!!

laddo
25-05-2023, 02:46 PM
None. It was an outstanding, unforgettable, historic achievement no doubt. And all achieved for £50K + wages#radarlove

But it all depends on who is willing to risk millions on a player doing that at NL level. L2 can't afford him obviously. L1 can't maybe 1 at best. So then you are talking Championship clubs who can afford and think £2m is nothing, but NL to Championship is a huge leap.

If someone offers £1.5-2m with a sell on % I would personally snap their hands off. With the contract we have we are in a very advantageous and luxury position thanks to the club.

Magpies1959
25-05-2023, 03:20 PM
Although the heart will always say keep Macca and Ruben, if possible, the head would be snapping anyone's hand off for a £1million for Macca, and taking McGoldrick in exchange for Ruben. We hopefully have replacement goalscorers for Macca, in Scott, Morias and then McGoldrick, leaving us with good money to shore up the defence, and a more attacking LWB. #RadarLove

the_anticlough
25-05-2023, 03:28 PM
None. It was an outstanding, unforgettable, historic achievement no doubt. And all achieved for £50K + wages#radarlove

But it all depends on who is willing to risk millions on a player doing that at NL level. L2 can't afford him obviously. L1 can't maybe 1 at best. So then you are talking Championship clubs who can afford and think £2m is nothing, but NL to Championship is a huge leap.

If someone offers £1.5-2m with a sell on % I would personally snap their hands off. With the contract we have we are in a very advantageous and luxury position thanks to the club.

I think the 'offer you can't refuse' will only come from a club that has just sold a player for a big sum up the leagues, and is under pressure to mount a promotion campaign next season. if you just got a 6-7m windfall for a striker, your fans expect you to reinvest the bulk of that.
Also, follow the money as it passes down the leagues.
The irresistible offer may come, it may not.

I think Maca wants to stay. Another thing is that he's played so many high-profile, televised games in which he's been completely anonymous. The perception among some scouts might be that he won't be able to contribute higher up. That'd be a mistake on their part IMO, he's been anonymous because LW gives him a very specific role - goal poacher in the box. His finishing is top class but I'd guess many scouts are looking for the full package.

Another point is that we might just want to bank that 1 million knowing that we have a younger stud, perhaps just as good, waiting to step up. Cedwyn is basically 2 years younger than Macauley