PDA

View Full Version : 📝Slocombe Signs

Chicken Balti Pie
31-05-2023, 11:04 AM
Sam Slocombe has renewed his contract for 2 years. Interesting tidbit is that the board have been honest and said we are bringing in another senior keeper as well

BigFatPie
31-05-2023, 11:07 AM
Loyalty to a group of players who’ve brought success is understandable but I think keeping Slocombe is a mistake.

SwalePie
31-05-2023, 11:09 AM
Sam Slocombe has become the second out-of-contract player to commit his future to us.

The 34-year-old goalkeeper has signed a new two-year deal, following in the footsteps of fellow long-serving Magpie Connell Rawlinson (https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2023/may/rawlinson-new-contract-300523/).
And both Luke Williams and our board of directors look forward to welcoming him back to Meadow Lane in pre-season.

A statement reads: “Sam, like Connell, is such a valuable asset to us on and off the field.

“He’s an immensely experienced goalkeeper who has demonstrated his quality and consistency over his four years at the club.

“The role Sam played in last season’s promotion cannot be underestimated. He was a v1tal component in our team and many of the outstanding performances we produced would not have been possible without him.

“Equally importantly, he’s one of the best professionals you could ever wish to have in your squad. The way he conducts himself day in, day out is exemplary and we see him as the perfect role model for our younger players.

“We’ve enjoyed open and constructive dialogue with Sam over the summer to explain our intention to bring in a new, senior goalkeeper to work alongside him and Tiernan Brooks.

“We see this as an important element of our long-term squad development and Sam fully understands our position.

“We know he will continue to drive high standards from those around him and provide extremely tough competition for a place in our starting line-up.”

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2023/may/slocombe-new-contract-310523/ (https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2023/may/slocombe-new-contract-310523/)

hissingdwarf
31-05-2023, 11:10 AM
The statement reads clearly that we are looking to bring in another keeper.
I’d assume he’s accepted the role as bench keeper and top pro at the club with a younger guy coming into the team.
Send Brooks out on loan to a non league team to make a step up.

slack_pie
31-05-2023, 11:11 AM
Loyalty to a group of players who’ve brought success is understandable but I think keeping Slocombe is a mistake.

He's a reliable keeper and decent backup for a L2 side, plus he's a solid pro who's no doubt a great influence on Brookes and the rest of the lads, but I think we definitely need to bring someone in who's more comfortable with our playing style if we want to progress.

laddo
31-05-2023, 11:11 AM
I would have also said possible mistake, depending on the terms (£) of the contracts, but that 'tidbit' is indeed interesting and welcome.

slack_pie
31-05-2023, 11:14 AM
Sam Slocombe has become the second out-of-contract player to commit his future to us.

The 34-year-old goalkeeper has signed a new two-year deal, following in the footsteps of fellow long-serving Magpie Connell Rawlinson (https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2023/may/rawlinson-new-contract-300523/).
And both Luke Williams and our board of directors look forward to welcoming him back to Meadow Lane in pre-season.

A statement reads: “Sam, like Connell, is such a valuable asset to us on and off the field.

“He’s an immensely experienced goalkeeper who has demonstrated his quality and consistency over his four years at the club.

“The role Sam played in last season’s promotion cannot be underestimated. He was a v1tal component in our team and many of the outstanding performances we produced would not have been possible without him.

“Equally importantly, he’s one of the best professionals you could ever wish to have in your squad. The way he conducts himself day in, day out is exemplary and we see him as the perfect role model for our younger players.

“We’ve enjoyed open and constructive dialogue with Sam over the summer to explain our intention to bring in a new, senior goalkeeper to work alongside him and Tiernan Brooks.

“We see this as an important element of our long-term squad development and Sam fully understands our position.

“We know he will continue to drive high standards from those around him and provide extremely tough competition for a place in our starting line-up.”

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2023/may/slocombe-new-contract-310523/ (https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2023/may/slocombe-new-contract-310523/)

Makes total sense. Great that we're being so upfront about our plans, and that senior pros like Rawlo and Slocombe realise they have a massive role to play not only on the pitch, but also in mentoring younger players and instilling the type of professionalism that has got us this far. Plus, with seven subs on the bench, we'll need players like them more than we might realise.

IluvNotts
31-05-2023, 11:17 AM
Clearly Luke Williams values Sam for more than his on pitch performances. I think it's telling that Luke has made it clear we're looking to sign a new number one goalkeeper and Sam is on board with this.
I've always been impressed when I've heard Sam speak and his attitude is obviously very professional.
Yes, he's made bad mistakes as have others but a mistake by a goalkeeper more often than not can lead to a goal being conceded. Mistakes by other defenders are more quickly forgotten.
I've seen Sam make some outstanding saves that have kept us in games but sadly we only remember the howlers.
I'm sure Sam would be the first to accept that his track record of penalty saves is not great but Luke is no fool and wouldn't have offered him a contract if he didn't have a role in mind for him.
In Luke we trust. You Pies.

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2023/may/slocombe-new-contract-310523/

tommopie8
31-05-2023, 11:18 AM
Not upset with this with the caveat we're bringing in another keeper. He had a shocker at Wembley and I don't think he makes many unexpected saves but for continuity in the dressing room and behind the scenes he's probably worth his wage for that alone.

CheezyNCFC
31-05-2023, 11:19 AM
Great news, model profesional and confirmed that he will have senior competition for the #1 spot. Can't recall the last time we didn't have to loan a goalkeeper as backup!

ncfcog
31-05-2023, 11:20 AM
It's been evident that Sam has been a model professional throughout his time at the club. Was fully invested in the play off penalties scenario and even when loan keepers were keeping him out (Patto) he was still happy to play his part as a mentor when needed to the younger players.

Very clear we are after a younger first team starter and will provide excellent support in that respect. Three keepers with himself, Brookes and a newbie is spot on considering we've got 3 cup competitions next season as well as the league.

countygump
31-05-2023, 11:27 AM
It's been evident that Sam has been a model professional throughout his time at the club. Was fully invested in the play off penalties scenario and even when loan keepers were keeping him out (Patto) he was still happy to play his part as a mentor when needed to the younger players.

Very clear we are after a younger first team starter and will provide excellent support in that respect. Three keepers with himself, Brookes and a newbie is spot on considering we've got 3 cup competitions next season as well as the league.

I think we deffo need 2 first team keepers and if Sloco is one of those, I ain't really got a problem with that.

LaxtonLad
31-05-2023, 11:38 AM
It became clear last season that he wasn't a fan of rolling the ball out to a defender as in 'playing out from the back', nor am I still, but he's been learning wheras I don't have to - he's 34 and I'm a wee bit older than that(!) If a player that age can learn and adapt, and it looks like he has, then he deserves a new contract.

'Slocombe, Slowcombe, give us a wave, give us a wave, give us a wave...' he rarely does though.

durhampie
31-05-2023, 11:42 AM
I think we deffo need 2 first team keepers and if Sloco is one of those, I ain't really got a problem with that.

I'm perfectly happy with that. At least we shall have two experienced keepers for once.

Frigiliana Pie 1
31-05-2023, 11:48 AM
This looks like the best of all worlds - two experienced keepers and an up and coming youngster. Not many League 2 sides will have that

Slocombe has done well for Notts for several years now, particularly bearing in mind that he’s had to adjust to being an Ederson style outfield player as well as stopping shots and catching crosses. I’m happy to see he’s staying with Notts.

I’m also impressed by the fact that there’s a long term plan in place for this position. Presumably this also applies to other positions. It’s not something you’d readily have associated with Notts County in the past.

Elite_Pie
31-05-2023, 11:58 AM
Reading that statement, my guess is that Slocombe has agreed to sign knowing he's likely to be second choice. Because we can now have 7 subs he'll be on the bench at worst, so still fully involved with the squad. That means Brooks is likely to go out on loan, maybe with a recall clause in case of injury.

Proactive not Reactive
31-05-2023, 12:32 PM
Glad to see him sign, good keeper and should push for a starting place and be good to have on the bench.
Plus him Rawlo and Jim care about the club and will keep the other players on their toes.

MAD_MAGPIE
31-05-2023, 12:43 PM
Once again an excellent piece of news and also a great statement from the club as well.

A couple of comments questioning whether it is the right thing to do, but let's remember a 34 year old goalkeeper like any 30+ footballer knows that they are at a point in their career where things change and they have to be managed differently as they get older. A good professional knows this and accepts it. That does not mean that they can't do a job or still be useful in a team, far from it. Their wealth of knowledge and experience is worth their wages alone. Especially in league football.

That's where people should look at the bigger picture when they are quick to write of the likes of Slocombe, Rawlinson and JOB. They have been loyal servants to the club and have been there all throughout our time in the National League. It's clear they all care. What they bring to the dressing room and team can't be brought as they have EFL experience. They are role models and mentors to the younger squad members. Also if they want to move into coaching the next two years can become the beginning of a transition for them.

Team spirit and culture is very difficult to create. If you've got a good dressing room with the right spirit and culture it can pay dividends and give you that extra edge. We do not see inside the dressing room, albeit a few clips from Wembley which was good insight.

Trust the Radar, trust LW.

since41
31-05-2023, 12:56 PM
I'm happy that he's signed too his saves 5 or 6 in the semi help get us to Wembley so it's good to see him willing to fight for a place whoever they bring in for first choice. Any hints who that might be?

Magpies1959
31-05-2023, 01:26 PM
Great to have Sam on board for another two years. I doubt we will see much of him in league games, injuries permitting, but will be a more than capable back up to come in for the extra games we will have to play next season, or as injury cover. Every successful club needs experienced model pro's like SS, CR, AC, RB and JOB.

Newish Pie
31-05-2023, 01:43 PM
Great to have Sam on board for another two years. I doubt we will see much of him in league games, injuries permitting, but will be a more than capable back up to come in for the extra games we will have to play next season, or as injury cover. Every successful club needs experienced model pro's like SS, CR, AC, RB and JOB.

Agreed. I'm sure someone said it on the 'differences to get used to' thread, but the transfer window means we can't just identify a list of loan targets and try to bring them on short term loans if/when needed to cover injuries. We're going to need a squad that's deep enough to carry us from window to window.

kill_the_drum
31-05-2023, 02:26 PM
Great news.
I don’t worry with him between the sticks but it’s an area that I certainly think we could improve on.
However, a bit like Mike Edwards, I don’t think you can ever write him off.

the_anticlough
31-05-2023, 03:26 PM
I guess for the bulk of an epic season he played the sweeper-keeper role very well, better than the younger keepers actually.

Paradoxically, the nerves-induced gaffes might disappear now we're at the higher level 1) the worst has already happened, you take a goal-kick to yourself in a Wembley final and if you're not sent off for that it could be for taking down the player to concede a pen just moments after! You can't top that really :) 2) the intense pressure to be perfect and win all the time to get out of the NL has gone, we're in a more forgiving scenario now 3) the new contract's signed and sealed.

Nobody should say 'there's no sentiment in football though'.
Family men, model pros who gave their all for 4 years and ultimately succeeded in achieving something so difficult couldn't and shouldn't be shown the door now, in a cost of living crisis and at the wrong end of their careers. I'm glad to support a club that values its people and treats them right. Slocs has earned it and you have to pleased about it.

TSANHO
31-05-2023, 03:32 PM
I guess for the bulk of an epic season he played the sweeper-keeper role very well, better than the younger keepers actually.

Paradoxically, the nerves-induced gaffes might disappear now we're at the higher level 1) the worst has already happened, you take a goal-kick to yourself in a Wembley final and if you're not sent off for that it could be for taking down the player to concede a pen just moments after! You can't top that really :) 2) the intense pressure to be perfect and win all the time to get out of the NL has gone, we're in a more forgiving scenario now 3) the new contract's signed and sealed.

Nobody should say 'there's no sentiment in football though'.
Family men, model pros who gave their all for 4 years and ultimately succeeded in achieving something so difficult couldn't and shouldn't be shown the door now, in a cost of living crisis and at the wrong end of their careers. I'm glad to support a club that values its people and treats them right. Slocs has earned it and you have to pleased about it.

Completely agree with this. The club has been wise in the characters it has recruited since the brothers took over and it is paying dividends now. A settled group that doesn’t need overhauling every year and are good examples to any new players walking through the doors.

Oldstripy
31-05-2023, 04:33 PM
Sam Slocombe interview

Sam Slocombe says the overall package on offer at Meadow Lane makes it the perfect place for him at this stage of his career.

The 34-year-old goalkeeper signed a new two-year contract with us this morning and is ready for the latest chapter.

“The next couple of years are possibly going to look a little bit of different for me,” said Slocombe, who first joined us ahead of the 2019-20 season.

“It may be possible to operate in League Two with one senior, experienced goalkeeper, but I don’t think it’s the right approach for a club that has ambitions of being successful.

“For the benefit of the squad, we need strong competition in all areas. That’s football and that’s what I’ve had all my life – competition brings the best out of everyone and if we can get that in every position it’s a really positive thing.

“That said, I back my own ability and will put up a big fight for the shirt - as I always have. I would never be comfortable accepting life as a number two.

“I’ve got strong experience in League Two, having won three promotions at that level. I know what it takes to get out, whether that be automatically or through the play-offs.

“I want to be available to play for as long as I can. From a young age, even before I turned pro, I always said that until my body gives up on me I would never do anything that restricts my opportunity to play football.

“I don’t feel 35 – my body feels good and I know I can still compete at a very high level, but I’m also mindful of what’s further ahead.

“There were multiple options for me this summer, whether that was to go higher and become a ‘shoulder to lean on’, knowing I wasn’t going to play, or going lower and being guaranteed games.

“But this is a big stage in my life. It’s my wedding anniversary today and we’re due to have a baby within the next couple of weeks.

“What’s best for my family has to form a huge part of any decisions about my future - and the whole package this club provides is brilliant.

“My wife went to more matches towards the end of last season than she has since the start of our relationship. The biggest thing she had to say after the play-off final wasn’t anything about the game, but about how everyone at the club is so nice. That’s big for me.

“It’s also great to be so close to where we’re based so my family can regularly experience the brilliant matchday atmosphere at Meadow Lane and I can always be around for them.

“The great feeling behind the scenes is credit to the owners and all the staff. Everyone’s in it together – we all understand that it’s not always easy and we have to be there to support each other.

“All of that, combined with me being able to continue imparting my knowledge and experience to help my team-mates and the club progress, means everything blends together nicely for it to be the right decision.

“It’s exciting to be involved in this club at the minute and I think it can only go one way.

“Notts has been a big part of my life over the last four years and I’m pleased it’s going to continue.”

Having already attained coaching qualifications, Slocombe will continue to pursue more over the duration of his new contract and believes he’s in a great position to learn from our backroom staff.

“It would be stupid of me not to take on board the techniques of people like our goalkeeper coach Tom Weal and head coach Luke Williams,” he said.

“Working with Tom is very different to my experiences elsewhere, but it’s helped me massively. We’re very fortunate to have someone of his quality and work ethic.

“The gaffer, meanwhile, has been incredible in the way he’s worked with more experienced players like me, Connell Rawlinson and Jim O’Brien.

“He knows we understand what he wants and trusts us to be part of the process by passing our knowledge on to younger members of the squad.

“That’s something I enjoy and take a lot of pride in. Along with Tom and our previous keeper coach Jake Kean, I’ve been able to influence young keepers who have gone on to do really good things.

“Joe McDonnell, for example, has had a good few years since he was here, and Anthony Patterson’s progress speaks for itself.

“I’m really honoured to have left the tiniest stamp on these keepers – and it’s going to be another big couple of years for Tiernan Brooks. If I can have an influence on him reaching his potential, I would be just as proud of that as I am of my performances and achievements over the last four years.”

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2023/may/slocombe-on-new-deal-310523/

tied_up_in_notts
31-05-2023, 04:54 PM
Wise words from Sam as always, and I for one am delighted to have him aboard for at least another two years, in whatever capacity he is needed.
It's slowly coming together.

jackal2
31-05-2023, 05:10 PM

This.

Not only will Sam provide good and experienced competition to the new senior keeper (whoever he is), but anyone who has ever seen him interviewed will know he's a very intelligent and thoughtful presence to have around the dressing room to help the younger players. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up as a coach or manager because he certainly communicates well.

Hopefully this will enable us to loan Tiernan Brooks out for more first team football with a National League side to continue his development, because he showed in the games he played that he's very capable too.

marky
31-05-2023, 05:35 PM
Good news, now Notts need an experienced no1 as that Brooks fella simply isn't ready for first team football.

Mud Pie
31-05-2023, 05:44 PM
I do think it's a position we could stand to upgrade, but there's no doubt about Sam's total value to the club so defo good news.

I'm also impressed the club has now got enough money *and sense, obviously, to keep people like him and JO'B, at the club. Asides from their contribution to the squad, the consistency from such a special season will help us keep the ball rolling.

jackal2
31-05-2023, 05:51 PM
Good news, now Notts need an experienced no1 as that Brooks fella simply isn't ready for first team football.

Is this something certain fans just get in their heads about "young keepers/players" and repeat parrot fashion, irrespective of the actual evidence?

We were unbeaten in the four games Brooks played, he looked confident and showed the courage to come out of the area and play the way Williams wants, which isn't easy, and he saved a penalty to boot. I've seen much more experienced keepers do far worse: Bob Catlin, Brian Parkin and Pegguy Arphexad to name three off the top of my head!

As I've said above, Brooks probably needs a loan now to a mid-table National League team to top up on his experience with us and Boston last season, but there will come a time when we can't keep saying he's "one for the future", especially when he's done little wrong when given the chance.

1955pie
31-05-2023, 08:44 PM
Archie Mair?

BigFatPie
31-05-2023, 09:17 PM

Some very good points made in this thread. I was a bit hasty in my opinion so fair enough if we’re getting someone else in and the club still think he’s got something to offer.

TSANHO
31-05-2023, 09:57 PM
Is this something certain fans just get in their heads about "young keepers/players" and repeat parrot fashion, irrespective of the actual evidence?

We were unbeaten in the four games Brooks played, he looked confident and showed the courage to come out of the area and play the way Williams wants, which isn't easy, and he saved a penalty to boot. I've seen much more experienced keepers do far worse: Bob Catlin, Brian Parkin and Pegguy Arphexad to name three off the top of my head!

As I've said above, Brooks probably needs a loan now to a mid-table National League team to top up on his experience with us and Boston last season, but there will come a time when we can't keep saying he's "one for the future", especially when he's done little wrong when given the chance.

Not sure I agree. He didn’t look confident to me and was fortunate in my eyes not to be sent off against Bromley (though he shouldn’t have been booked in the first place of course). He doesn’t command his area well with balls into the box and I think if Slocombe or Mair were in goal against Barnet away then we win that game.

Nothing against him really, and I hope he does make the grade but when you compare him to Patterson and Mair then he very clearly isn’t ready to be Notts first choice keeper. You need to feel safe with a goalie, I never did with him between the sticks.

LW and the coaches clearly feel the same.

Chicken Balti Pie
31-05-2023, 10:20 PM
Not sure I agree. He didn’t look confident to me and was fortunate in my eyes not to be sent off against Bromley (though he shouldn’t have been booked in the first place of course). He doesn’t command his area well with balls into the box and I think if Slocombe or Mair were in goal against Barnet away then we win that game.

Nothing against him really, and I hope he does make the grade but when you compare him to Patterson and Mair then he very clearly isn’t ready to be Notts first choice keeper. You need to feel safe with a goalie, I never did with him between the sticks.

LW and the coaches clearly feel the same.

I think it was telling that Slocombe was rushed back for S****horpe, then got injured again and Mair was put in. Brooks is an ok shot stopper but his distribution isn't great and as you say, his command of the area is lacking. Thankfully, these are things that can be improved but in the mean time, we need two top keepers we can rely on, we have one in Slocombe, now I reckon we'll get a second who is a bit younger but probably an upgrade on Slocombe.

Wouldn't mind James Bellshaw, got promoted from league 2 with Bristol Rovers, can play the sweeper keeper role and is a Notts fan to boot

CaptainBalrog
31-05-2023, 10:44 PM
Well at least he hasn't scored an own goal off an opposition players back. Or conceded a goal to a chap that was hiding behind a goal post. Or conceded a penalty for randomly kicking someone up the arse.

My word we've had some loons in goal. I think we've got a bit too used to having a relatively sane keeper around here!

Notts78
01-06-2023, 06:47 AM
Well at least he hasn't scored an own goal off an opposition players back. Or conceded a goal to a chap that was hiding behind a goal post. Or conceded a penalty for randomly kicking someone up the arse.

My word we've had some loons in goal. I think we've got a bit too used to having a relatively sane keeper around here!

Those instances were comical.

I’m hoping that Cameron signs today and the big one is tomorrow - c’mon Ruben, it makes sense.