PDA

View Full Version : 👋Ruben leaves

Oldstripy
13-06-2023, 11:41 AM
Ruben Rodrigues has informed us that he’ll be moving on after three years at Meadow Lane.

The 26-year-old Portuguese has been a key figure since arriving from the Netherlands in 2020 and played a pivotal role in last season’s promotion, scoring the goal which sent the play-off final to penalties.

With his contract expiring this summer, he was offered the opportunity to extend his stay but has decided to pursue a new challenge.

A statement from our board of directors reads: “We’d like to thank Ruben for his fantastic service to the club since his arrival in 2020.

“In joining us, he made a brave decision to move away from family and friends to further his career in a foreign country and he can certainly be proud of what he’s achieved.

“We made a very strong offer to retain him but, while we’re of course going to miss his qualities, we respect his decision and wish him every success for the future.”

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2023/june/departure-ruben-rodrigues-130623/

laddo
13-06-2023, 11:45 AM
Rightly deserves his own thread for this expected but still disappointing news but I want to get in early and personally say thank you Rúben da Rocha Rodrigues for all your efforts whilst at Meadow Lane.

You regularly provided moments of class in every game I saw, once you got match fit your effort for the team was undeniable, you provided so much joy and special moments over the past few seasons. That freaky goal at Wembley will never be forgotten.

Now go tear it up in a higher division, you deserve this move.

I (Still) HEART Ruben.

countygump
13-06-2023, 11:46 AM
Ruben Rodrigues has informed us that he’ll be moving on after three years at Meadow Lane.

The 26-year-old Portuguese has been a key figure since arriving from the Netherlands in 2020 and played a pivotal role in last season’s promotion, scoring the goal which sent the play-off final to penalties.

With his contract expiring this summer, he was offered the opportunity to extend his stay but has decided to pursue a new challenge.

A statement from our board of directors reads: “We’d like to thank Ruben for his fantastic service to the club since his arrival in 2020.

“In joining us, he made a brave decision to move away from family and friends to further his career in a foreign country and he can certainly be proud of what he’s achieved.

“We made a very strong offer to retain him but, while we’re of course going to miss his qualities, we respect his decision and wish him every success for the future.”

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2023/june/departure-ruben-rodrigues-130623/

Been excellent for us, best of luck to the Lad wherever he goes.

BCnotts18
13-06-2023, 11:52 AM
Been excellent for us, best of luck to the Lad wherever he goes.

Probably the best and maybe even my favourite notts player I've ever seen, I just hope he makes the most of whatever opportunity he's turned notts down over and isn't regretting it in 6 months time.

The recruitment team have got their work cut out replacing his creativity though, any team is going to struggle with 30 less goals and assists in the team, so hopefully they can find someone, unless McGoldrick will fill the void.

meoldlaner
13-06-2023, 11:53 AM
His talents deserve to be seen on a higher stage and if there is more dosh then even better for him. He has always given his all for Notts and we as a club should be proud of finding this little gem.
Good luck Ruben.

mattpie
13-06-2023, 11:57 AM
I have to say in some ways I'm more sad to see him go to a team like Oxford than I would have if he'd got a big move, but then my feelings of our club being bigger than one man strengthened at the same time! We will move on, trust Williams etc ...

Wish him luck, but you have to say it's a weird move?

Pies4u
13-06-2023, 12:00 PM
Good luck to him, it will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Always had the talent but blossomed under LW. Massive contribution to the promotion campaign despite tailing off in the final quarter - maybe due to injury and/or distractions from elsewhere. Whenever he played he offered that unpredictability and intricate skill that unsettled opponents and required their close attention.

Delighted to have watched him playing and being part of the NCFC story - thanks & best wishes to him.

We will replace him and continue to progress accordingly.

BCnotts18
13-06-2023, 12:02 PM
I have to say in some ways I'm more sad to see him go to a team like Oxford than I would have if he'd got a big move, but then my feelings of our club being bigger than one man strengthened at the same time! We will move on, trust Williams etc ...

Wish him luck, but you have to say it's a weird move?

He's gone to Oxford. I don't even want to know how much money he's on there to make the slightest of upwards moves🙄

ivansneck
13-06-2023, 12:03 PM
Best nutmegger I’ve ever seen.

countygump
13-06-2023, 12:04 PM
Probably the best and maybe even my favourite notts player I've ever seen, I just hope he makes the most of whatever opportunity he's turned notts down over and isn't regretting it in 6 months time.

The recruitment team have got their work cut out replacing his creativity though, any team is going to struggle with 30 less goals and assists in the team, so hopefully they can find someone, unless McGoldrick will fill the void.

If it is Oxford they were only a couple of points above the drop last season. They must have offered him one hell of a package.

Hmmmm, 2019 though;

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬ ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
Oxford United have suffered 20 years of poor quality football. After several years in the Conference and League Two we are finally getting back to where we need to be. All of this has been put in jeopardy by our owner, Sumrith 'Tiger' Thanakarnjanasuth. Here's why:

He lives on the other side of the world and is completely uninvolved with the fans. He rarely attends matches.

He has appointed a board of businessmen who also live overseas.

The club's recruitment has been dire, and little money has been spent.

He has worsened relations with the stadium owner, leading to a loss of atmosphere with the disbanding of the Ultras.

The club has suffered four winding up petitions over the last few months. On every occasion there is a new excuse but nothing changes.

Tiger is either totally disinterested in the club, a completely incompetent owner, or both. This is not an acceptable state of affairs.

Sign this petition to let Sumrith 'Tiger' Thanakarnjanasuth know that he know longer has the backing of Oxford United supporters.

Football without fans is nothing. #TigerOut

Glad2BeAPie
13-06-2023, 12:06 PM
Thank you Ruben for the memories and your commitment to Notts, and best wishes wherever you end up

Jeekay56
13-06-2023, 12:07 PM
https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/23585846.oxford-united-sign-notts-county-forward-ruben-rodrigues/

BCnotts18
13-06-2023, 12:07 PM
If it is Oxford they were only a couple of points above the drop last season. They must have offered him one hell of a package.

Hmmmm, 2019 though;

https://www.change.org/p/oxford-united-get-sumrith-tiger-thanakarnjanasuth-out-of-oxford-united

If he had more choice than Oxford then its a baffling move. I believe they would've gone down if MK had scored against Burton on the last day.

Chicken Balti Pie
13-06-2023, 12:08 PM
Hardly an upgrade going to Oxford? I could understand Derby and Cardiff but Oxford seems just a sideways move, potentially even backwards to an extent

PedroTheFisherman66
13-06-2023, 12:14 PM
I wonder if he will join Ardley at Solihull.The manager who was the first to spot his talent and bought the best out in him...!!

countygump
13-06-2023, 12:15 PM
Hardly an upgrade going to Oxford? I could understand Derby and Cardiff but Oxford seems just a sideways move, potentially even backwards to an extent

One he might come to regret, especially if we are lucky enough to pass them on the way up in a season or two. Still, tis what it is. Best of luck to the trait, errrr lad.

queenslandpie
13-06-2023, 12:22 PM
The very best of luck to him. Obviously more money then we can offer. I cannot see the logic in it for him but that's life. Derby or a large League 1 club absolutely. But Oxford. Could be the position from which to kick start an amazing transfer window and Mcgoldrick can fill a lot of his assets anyway and has played his role. Disappointed but not worried. Plus he was crap in the play offs.

Jeekay56
13-06-2023, 12:25 PM
One he might come to regret, especially if we are lucky enough to pass them on the way up in a season or two. Still, tis what it is. Best of luck to the trait, errrr lad.

In a season or two, Ruben could well be playing in the Championship, not necessarily with Oxford. I'd be very surprised if this turns out to be the last move of his career, a good season in League One could well see one of the bigger Championship sides poach him. Good luck to the lad.

Chicken Balti Pie
13-06-2023, 12:26 PM

I can't wrap my head around Oxford, they're a slightly bigger Mansfield, same colours, both only have 3 stands, just a weird choice

TedBovisPie
13-06-2023, 12:26 PM
Not surprised he has moved on but just echo what others have said about where he has gone. Anyway good luck to him.

BCnotts18
13-06-2023, 12:33 PM
I can't wrap my head around Oxford, they're a slightly bigger Mansfield, same colours, both only have 3 stands, just a weird choice

Money talks, espcially agent fees...

Didn't LW say something about "outside influences" earlier in the season? With that, I can imagine the move suits the agent far more than it does Ruben.

countygump
13-06-2023, 12:35 PM

I'm told that Derby's interest ended round about the time of the P/O's, Cardiff most prob didn't think he was good enough for Championship footy, no idea about Barnsley, so the choices for him may have been somewhat limited. Praps tempted him away with a nice signing on wad, who knows? It's done now, on we go.............

Jeekay56
13-06-2023, 12:42 PM
I don't understand people questioning why he's chosen Oxford over Cardiff or Derby. Oxford could be a great stepping stone for him at this stage of his career. Let's not forget he'll be climbing two levels of the pyramid. A poor season at Cardiff or Derby, where the pressure to succeed would be much greater, could shatter the lad's confidence.

SwalePie
Notts just uploaded this...

https://youtu.be/36f5m27VhNI

since41
Good luck Rodders. I echo what most are saying regarding Oxford strange decision indeed.

Chicken Balti Pie
13-06-2023, 12:43 PM
Money talks, espcially agent fees...

Didn't LW say something about "outside influences" earlier in the season? With that, I can imagine the move suits the agent far more than it does Ruben.

Yeah, I think it's definitely his agent pulling this. Be interesting to see how he handles it if Oxford struggle again and if we are looking for another successful year

BCnotts18
13-06-2023, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I think it's definitely his agent pulling this. Be interesting to see how he handles it if Oxford struggle again and if we are looking for another successful year

I certainly wouldn't mind him back on loan in that scenario.

slack_pie
13-06-2023, 12:49 PM
Ah, Ruben Rodrigues. What a player, what a guy. I wish him all the best at Oxford.

Time for us to move on now. Onwards and upwards.

Kyle95
13-06-2023, 12:55 PM
I can understand the frustration but let's look at this logically. Oxford have been a sound L1 club for a few years now. They're a similar sized club to us, and he's stepped up a division. Not only that he will be playing under a coach who is very similar too Luke Williams. 1 more good season could see Ruben earn a move to the Championship.

the_anticlough
13-06-2023, 12:56 PM
Upsetting news, but no surprise.

I'll probably want to add more to this thread tomorrow. I'm not that interested in where he's gone.

If it is Oxford, as other say he won't be facing as much pressure as at a Derby or a Cardiff. There, it would be 'show me what you can do' at Oxford it will be more 'what a coup, thanks for coming'. Maybe he has more chance there of showing the stuff that'll earn his NEXT move up. Remember he said he wants the MLS...well that might take more than one sound, succesful stepping stone.

durhampie
13-06-2023, 01:06 PM
Good luck to him, it will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Always had the talent but blossomed under LW. Massive contribution to the promotion campaign despite tailing off in the final quarter - maybe due to injury and/or distractions from elsewhere. Whenever he played he offered that unpredictability and intricate skill that unsettled opponents and required their close attention.

Delighted to have watched him playing and being part of the NCFC story - thanks & best wishes to him.

We will replace him and continue to progress accordingly.

It could turn out to be the biggest mistake of his career. But i wish him all the best wherever he goes, and thanks for some great moments..

marky
13-06-2023, 01:11 PM
This news just confirms that Notts simply need to get back to League One, their natural level quickly, it's no goods fumbling about in mid table in League 2 we have an ambitious manager and Oxford are NOT a bigger club than Notts, just better at the moment.

Jeekay56
13-06-2023, 01:15 PM
https://youtu.be/wdVK4Rl_UqM

KintoreMagpie
13-06-2023, 01:18 PM
This news just confirms that Notts simply need to get back to League One, their natural level quickly, it's no goods fumbling about in mid table in League 2 we have an ambitious manager and Oxford are NOT a bigger club than Notts, just better at the moment.

Hang on a minute is this Oxford United who just avoided the drop to L2 last season or City who have just arrived in the NL.

Did notice that the our own Craig Short was a coach at United last season and I presume he still is.

the_anticlough
13-06-2023, 01:18 PM
It could turn out to be the biggest mistake of his career. But i wish him all the best wherever he goes, and thanks for some great moments..

Just watched the Oxford video on Youtube (won't link it here and I hope nobody else does)...there's a touch of naivety about it all, going up another level doesn't mean everything's better and he's going to find that out for himself.
The other impression you get is that he really wanted a change after 3 years - many people are like that, but very often the grass isn't greener.

slack_pie
13-06-2023, 01:20 PM

"The manager,
The way he plays,
The ambition of the club,
The facilities are amazing"

But Ruben, he asked you to talk about Oxford, not Notts.

KintoreMagpie

That answers my cheeky post.

Magpies1959
Thanks for the memories. We will now see if he is League on quality, if indeed it is Oxford he has gone too.

mattpie
13-06-2023, 01:21 PM

"My agent has been talking about it for a [long] time now ... but obviously I had to focus on promotion"

Move on, nothing to see here. Ruben, thanks for the memories, but I honestly hope you regret listening to those whispers in your ear.

(Also, Oxford media team: probably give better advice and/or edit those bits out! Not a great look....)

countygump
13-06-2023, 01:25 PM
The other impression you get is that he really wanted a change after 3 years - many people are like that, but very often the grass isn't greener.

That's exactly the way that I read it, AC. Some players just do, they like change and new surroundings and are not comfortable staying at the same club. It's the change of scenery that enthuses them. Teks all sorts.

the_anticlough
13-06-2023, 01:25 PM
Oxford average league home attendance last season - 8,393 for 13th in L1, not bad

marky
13-06-2023, 01:29 PM
Oxford average league home attendance last season - 8,393 for 13th in L1, not bad

About the same as Notts would get if they were in League One, also fwiw Derby fans are equally miffed that he's gone to Oxford.

OP67
13-06-2023, 01:37 PM
Good luck to him, he's gonna need it at Oxford United. I must say what an odd decision, finished a couple of points above the relegation in L1. I guess Jodi Jones had only good things to say about them even though they couldn't be ars*d to nurse him through his injury. Their lose is our gain for sure. I have a feeling we may be waving to Ruben as we pass each other at the end of the season. We clearly were not going to compete with the wages and he was probably offered a good signing on fee but I can't see how this is going to improve him as a player, just his bank account.

uysapie
13-06-2023, 01:39 PM
I think Matty Palmer would be a bigger loss, he is the engine.

eastwoodmagpie
13-06-2023, 01:57 PM
"The manager,
The way he plays,
The ambition of the club,
The facilities are amazing"

But Ruben, he asked you to talk about Oxford, not Notts.

Yes it did seem he was talking about Notts, was expecting him going to a better club than Oxford, must be a money thing.

BigFatPie
13-06-2023, 01:58 PM
Odd move but good luck to him, he’s a great player and seems like a cracking lad.

I would have loved to see him play at Derby, their fans must be gutted at the transfer window so far.

oxford95
13-06-2023, 02:05 PM
Oxford fan here. Last season was hopefully an outlier for us. Previous to that we had a top 10 finish and two play off finishes. We have a top 6 budget for League One and have wealthy owners who will back the new manager in this summer window.

I am very happy with the signing. I understand why it may on paper look odd for Notts County fans of why Oxford, but Oxford are currently a step up from Notts County on and off the pitch, with the aim being to reach the Championship and move into a new stadium in the near future.

PedroTheFisherman66
13-06-2023, 02:10 PM
The irony of all this is that it could be JJ that fills his boots and takes his shirt ...!!

Proactive not Reactive
13-06-2023, 02:34 PM
The very best of luck to him. Obviously more money then we can offer. I cannot see the logic in it for him but that's life. Derby or a large League 1 club absolutely. But Oxford. Could be the position from which to kick start an amazing transfer window and Mcgoldrick can fill a lot of his assets anyway and has played his role. Disappointed but not worried. Plus he was crap in the play offs.

Hmm performed brilliantly in the last 2 seasons didn’t have the best of play offs but was crap enough to save us getting beat and taking the final to penalties(plus scoring a penalty to take us up)
Out of order mardy comments ,he gone’s higher probably big signing on fee and larger wages fair play and good luck to him

marky
13-06-2023, 02:42 PM
Oxford fan here. Last season was hopefully an outlier for us. Previous to that we had a top 10 finish and two play off finishes. We have a top 6 budget for League One and have wealthy owners who will back the new manager in this summer window.

I am very happy with the signing. I understand why it may on paper look odd for Notts County fans of why Oxford, but Oxford are currently a step up from Notts County on and off the pitch, with the aim being to reach the Championship and move into a new stadium in the near future.

Well I wish him well anyway and yes I agree at the moment Oxford, in fact any club in League One is a step up from Notts County, we need to change that as soon as possible.

maddogslater
13-06-2023, 02:55 PM
The heats obviously got to him, going to tinpot Oxford, madness, madness.

bule1
13-06-2023, 03:00 PM
Dont know what their backroom setup is or their style of play but if it is not similar to ours i think he may not get the results he has here. Changing clubs is always a risk and this one certainly seems to fit that category.

Proactive not Reactive
13-06-2023, 03:02 PM
The heats obviously got to him, going to tinpot Oxford, madness, madness.
Do you think Derby said that about McGoldrick ..have some respect about a team in the League above us

Glad2BeAPie
13-06-2023, 03:21 PM
Let's not forget he'll be climbing two levels of the pyramid.

When did Mighty Oxford get promoted to the championship have we been dreaming

eastwoodmagpie
13-06-2023, 03:33 PM

Notts average attendance last season 8,608 in the National league was higher than Oxfords, not bad

the_anticlough
13-06-2023, 03:41 PM
Notts average attendance last season 8,608 in the National league was higher than Oxfords, not bad

Only 3 of the 24 L2 clubs had a higher average attendance than us - Bradford, Swindon, Stockport, so I'd say excellent rather than not bad

tommopie8
13-06-2023, 03:41 PM
Best of luck to him.

I saw he'd said he was leaving and had a brief moment of worry about him heading to Wrexham but Oxford is fine.

Disappointed it's L1, would've thought we might have been able to fight off that sort of interest from that end of the table.

Just Cameron and Nemane to confirm either way now.

Mud Pie
13-06-2023, 03:45 PM
Good Luck Rubes! Thanks for some electric play. Defo merits a star on Notts walk of fame imo

Disappointed as it's a loss for Notts, but not surprised he's climbing the ladder.

durhampie
13-06-2023, 03:54 PM
Good Luck Rubes! Thanks for some electric play. Defo merits a star on Notts walk of fame imo

Disappointed as it's a loss for Notts, but not surprised he's climbing the ladder.

We achieved our aim in gaining promotion back into the league. Now we move on with hopefully another gem of a signing lined up to take us to the next level.

OP67
13-06-2023, 04:04 PM
Do you think Derby said that about McGoldrick ..have some respect about a team in the League above us

McGoldrick returned to his boyhood club where it all started and the team he supported. I'd be surprised if Ruben even knew where Oxford was before the interest.

The_Pie_Man
13-06-2023, 04:12 PM
I don't think he's good enough for L1 - I can't see him starting regularly.

In any event, best of luck to him. I think he'll need it.

Rincewind_rooftrouser
13-06-2023, 04:14 PM
Upsetting news, but no surprise.

I'll probably want to add more to this thread tomorrow. I'm not that interested in where he's gone.

If it is Oxford, as other say he won't be facing as much pressure as at a Derby or a Cardiff. There, it would be 'show me what you can do' at Oxford it will be more 'what a coup, thanks for coming'. Maybe he has more chance there of showing the stuff that'll earn his NEXT move up. Remember he said he wants the MLS...well that might take more than one sound, succesful stepping stone.

Probably something to this.

He's a confidence player and is far more likely to be treated as the star turn at Oxford than he would be at Derby. At Cardiff he could have ended up a squad player (if it was ever on).

Not a bad stepping stone for a bigger move and a good run in L1 makes it far less of a risk for a solid Championship side than it would be for a non-league standout

countygump
13-06-2023, 04:19 PM

I spose the way they are looking at it is, the last games he played for us were in NL, Therefore, it's 2 leagues?

Iremongersrighthand
13-06-2023, 04:21 PM
Thank you Ruben, and good luck for the future. It was always a pleasure to watch you play for our great club 💕

countygump
13-06-2023, 04:23 PM
C'mon, how can you not like the lad.......

https://twitter.com/i/status/1668643198741143554

MAD_MAGPIE
13-06-2023, 04:52 PM
So RR becomes the first of “The Undeniable Heroes” to leave the club.

For RR it’s a step up two levels from playing in the National League to League One.

It can’t begrudged a player moving up two levels especially at 27 years old. The move to Oxford will give RR the opportunity to establish himself as a League One player and he may the chance to play in the championship before he is 30 whether that is at Oxford or a stepping stone to another club.

He has been hugely influential in helping the club achieve its goal of getting back into the football league. For him its mission accomplished. RR leaving should not warrant bitterness but massive thanks for the goals, assists and the moments and actions along with his likeable personality that endured him to fans.

He helped us home and now it’s time for him to fly the nest.

optipez
13-06-2023, 04:53 PM
Good luck to Ruben, he's been a joy to watch and hope he does well for himself. Can't help but feel Oxford is a poor move for him though.

Elite_Pie
13-06-2023, 05:09 PM
Thanks for your contribution Ruben, and best wishes for the future.

ivansneck
13-06-2023, 05:09 PM
Anyone considered that Oxford is a beautiful place to live if you have money?

upthemaggies
13-06-2023, 05:11 PM
Prior to last season Oxford finished in or around the 3rd tier play offs three seasons in a row, so they probably convinced him they've had a blip and will be challenging again for a place in tier 2 next season.

laddo
13-06-2023, 05:21 PM
Anyone considered that Oxford is a beautiful place to live if you have money?

It is indeed, beautiful county, with England's most stunning city. If he's been offered very good money (wages and signing on fee), likely to play week in week out, and be based in or around the city of dreaming spires, it sounds a pretty good package to me.

WarsopPie
13-06-2023, 05:24 PM
Dont know what their backroom setup is or their style of play but if it is not similar to ours i think he may not get the results he has here. Changing clubs is always a risk and this one certainly seems to fit that category.

They have a up and coming manager in Liam Manning like we do who like LW, Oxford like to play pocession football with a high press.

bule1
13-06-2023, 05:30 PM
They have a up and coming manager in Liam Manning like we do who like LW, Oxford like to play pocession football with a high press.

Thanks for that info makes sense, would say our up and coming manager has done better so far. They can keep their hands off him though!!!

Jeekay56
13-06-2023, 05:40 PM

He's gone from the National League to League One, how many levels is that?

irish_pie
13-06-2023, 06:00 PM
As shocked as I am that he has chosen Oxford I would just like to thank the man for 3 brilliant years of service to Notts, a class apart most weeks and no doubt a popular figure with both players and fans...finally LW can concentrate on filling that position and judging by his singings so far he is more than capable.. now let's draw Oxford in the League Cup :)

Frigiliana Pie 1
13-06-2023, 06:32 PM
He’s done a great job for Notts and I wish him a successful future. It was good to see him sign off with that crucial goal at Wembley.

His choice of Oxford might have something to do with the style of football they intend playing next season - but who knows?

Moreton_Pie
13-06-2023, 06:40 PM
Good luck Ruben hopefully you will move on to a better club and better more realistic support than that of Ox****e United. Their fans hate us for sending them into the conference years ago. Just don't like their fans. Whatever happened to live and let live?

OP67
13-06-2023, 06:57 PM

Is he? Got sacked by MK Dons after getting 15 points from 60 and leaving them 6 points from safety. Doesn't sound very up and coming to me. He coached abroad before MK Dons, sounds very Ian Birchnall. His record from the 10 games at Oxford is only a 20% win rate and just avoided relegation to L2.

I still think it's an odd move for Ruben's career :?

durhampie
13-06-2023, 07:12 PM
Is he? Got sacked by MK Dons after getting 15 points from 60 and leaving them 6 points from safety. Doesn't sound very up and coming to me. He coached abroad before MK Dons, sounds very Ian Birchnall. His record from the 10 games at Oxford is only a 20% win rate and just avoided relegation to L2.

Players come and go, we move on.. I wonder where wonder boy Nemane wonder will end up ?

WarsopPie
13-06-2023, 07:23 PM

Similar stats then to LW before he came to notts taking just 1.13 PPM while at Swindon.

Chicken Balti Pie
13-06-2023, 07:35 PM
Similar stats then to LW before he came to notts taking just 1.13 PPM while at Swindon.

LW had a basket case of an owner and one club. Seems this chap has bad stats with two

OP67
13-06-2023, 07:48 PM
Players come and go, we move on.. I wonder where wonder boy Nemane wonder will end up ?

At least we know why his performances were down during the last 8 games. In the interview he mentions talking to the manager before the end of the seaon but he was focused on getting promotion with Notts....but his mind was elsewhere. Good luck to him, anyone know the length of the contract? Doesn't seem to mention it anywhere :?

Jampie
13-06-2023, 07:58 PM

Best of luck to you and Ruben.

countygump
13-06-2023, 08:08 PM

Overall, not too shabby?

durhampie
13-06-2023, 08:18 PM
At least we know why his performances were down during the last 8 games. In the interview he mentions talking to the manager before the end of the seaon but he was focused on getting promotion with Notts....but his mind was elsewhere. Good luck to him, anyone know the length of the contract? Doesn't seem to mention it anywhere :?

It just says, "Long term "

Mark_Ross
13-06-2023, 08:21 PM
Best of luck to you and Ruben.

My very best wishes go out to RR - you have been bldy brilliant for us. Hope your career continues its upward trend.

Meanwhile, we have effectively swapped JJ & RR. Not a bad deal IMHO... thanks, Oxford.

TSANHO
13-06-2023, 08:23 PM
Thank you for the wonderful moments, the wonderful goals and all your passion and hard work….a pleasure to have seen you play.

But oh my word…..What have you done?? Can’t help but feel this is a bad move for you kid.

Notts78
13-06-2023, 08:31 PM
Thank you for the wonderful moments, the wonderful goals and all your passion and hard work….a pleasure to have seen you play.

But oh my word…..What have you done?? Can’t help but feel this is a bad move for you kid.

I disagree. He’s gone to a L1 club that didn’t do well last season. In theory he has a better chance of breaking in to the starting line up fairly sharpish and will enjoy possibly being one of the big fish. Compare that with some of the other clubs linked with him where he could have found himself in the wilderness.
Time will tell of course.

ArabianNotts
13-06-2023, 08:36 PM
I disagree. He’s gone to a L1 club that didn’t do well last season. In theory he has a better chance of breaking in to the starting line up fairly sharpish and will enjoy possibly being one of the big fish. Compare that with some of the other clubs linked with him where he could have found himself in the wilderness.
Time will tell of course.

I agree with you 100%.

51Magpie
13-06-2023, 08:52 PM

Clearly, it's two levels. But we got promoted so - for next season - he's going to be playing one league higher than if he'd stayed with us.

Jeekay56
13-06-2023, 09:03 PM
Clearly, it's two levels. But we got promoted so - for next season - he's going to be playing one league higher than if he'd stayed with us.

The question was posed to someone trying to ridicule what I'd said. Am I not allowed to defend my statement?

jackal2
13-06-2023, 10:46 PM
Good luck Rodders. I echo what most are saying regarding Oxford strange decision indeed.

Yes, ditto. Ruben didn't owe us anything and I thank him for his big contribution to our promotion and wish him well, but I can only think the choice of Oxford was money motivated rather than the best career move available. Frankly, if he was going to move, I think he should have been looking for a bigger club than them. I hope hje doesn't look back and think it was a wasted opportunity. I wish him well though, and I certainly wouldn't object to him coming back to us one day.

Lullapie
13-06-2023, 11:27 PM
Seems a very odd decision at first sight, but essentially he's playing to earn money. He doesn't have many years left to make a mark. If he has a couple of good seasons there, then he will be in the shop window. If he doesn't, he'll probably still be in their team earning, as they won't have a huge squad.

Good decision Ruben, good luck and I'm sure you'll always be a Notts fan.

Lullapie
13-06-2023, 11:30 PM
An additional bit. I wonder if McGoldrick coming to Notts was an agreement with Derby, where they would get RR. I bet they'd be a bit pi$$ed of if that was the case.

Jeekay56
13-06-2023, 11:32 PM
Both player were out of contract, how could there have been an agreement between the clubs?

Davy500
14-06-2023, 12:08 AM

I liked Ruben, the best and favourite Notts player ever is a bridge to far, could probably name a whole team or more before Ruben

Davy500
14-06-2023, 12:32 AM

Wrong as of his leaving date ,he represented a club in L2, so one level up
He was a good player for us, but faded towards the end, we can get someone just as good or better, Fair play to Ruben if he wanted a change, got more money etc

60YearsAPie
14-06-2023, 12:49 AM
Ruben's late-season form reminded me of Wootton's dip in form last season. Coincidence, or were their minds elsewhere?

BCnotts18
14-06-2023, 01:35 AM
I liked Ruben, the best and favourite Notts player ever is a bridge to far, could probably name a whole team or more before Ruben

I never said he was the best Notts player ever. I said he's the best I've seen since 2005 when I went to my first Notts match and my favourite since then too. He's obviously nowhere near the best Notts player ever.

Lullapie
14-06-2023, 01:56 AM
Both player were out of contract, how could there have been an agreement between the clubs?

Well obviously it wasn't a contractual agreement otherwise there would have been a breach of contract. I never said that. However, there could have been an (and I'll use the same word again) 'agreement' between the two clubs. Ruben, DM, Derby, Notts and Ruben's agent possibly could have been party to it. His agent could have then used that 'agreement' to get a better deal from Oxford.

I can't really see why Derby would have let McGoldrick go after his last season. Even if he only played 75% of the games.

Lots of ifs and buts, but there did seem to be some incestuous connection around the whole thing.

OchPie
14-06-2023, 03:22 AM
Ruben's late-season form reminded me of Wootton's dip in form last season. Coincidence, or were their minds elsewhere?

Would love to see the data but my impression was he ran less and passed more (and very few nutmegs by the end), which suggests he was just spent.

i961pie
14-06-2023, 04:33 AM
Wrong as of his leaving date ,he represented a club in L2, so one level up
He was a good player for us, but faded towards the end, we can get someone just as good or better, Fair play to Ruben if he wanted a change, got more money etc

He's not wrong really because he asn't actually played in league two.

Rez1862
14-06-2023, 05:37 AM
Well obviously it wasn't a contractual agreement otherwise there would have been a breach of contract. I never said that. However, there could have been an (and I'll use the same word again) 'agreement' between the two clubs. Ruben, DM, Derby, Notts and Ruben's agent possibly could have been party to it. His agent could have then used that 'agreement' to get a better deal from Oxford.

I can't really see why Derby would have let McGoldrick go after his last season. Even if he only played 75% of the games.

Lots of ifs and buts, but there did seem to be some incestuous connection around the whole thing.

Derby didn't let him go, they offered him a new contract.

Proactive not Reactive
14-06-2023, 08:15 AM
I don't think he's good enough for L1 - I can't see him starting regularly.

In any event, best of luck to him. I think he'll need it.

I think the same was said last season with Wootton and Division 2 he ended up Stockport’s player of the season and if he had stayed fit Stockport would have probably gone up.
Ruben certainly has the technical ability and vision for Division 1 and possibly Championship only time will tell.
The Oxford coach supposedly plays a football style that is similar to LW’s so he has a good chance of succeeding he must keep working on his fitness levels and I wish him the best of luck and it’s no skin off our nose if Oxford were promoted

countygump
14-06-2023, 08:46 AM
I think the same was said last season with Wootton and Division 2 he ended up Stockport’s player of the season and if he had stayed fit Stockport would have probably gone up.
Ruben certainly has the technical ability and vision for Division 1 and possibly Championship only time will tell.
The Oxford coach supposedly plays a football style that is similar to LW’s so he has a good chance of succeeding he must keep working on his fitness levels and I wish him the best of luck and it’s no skin off our nose if Oxford were promoted

A bit of speculation as to why, Rubes may have chosen Oxo.

https://therealefl.co.uk/2023/06/13/why-ruben-rodrigues-signed-for-oxford-united-opinion/

jacobncfc
14-06-2023, 09:53 AM
Good luck to Ruben, joy to watch for the vast majority of his three years here and gave us a final season to deliver promotion when others moved on last summer. Deserves his shot at a higher level.

For us it’s an opportunity not just to fit McGoldrick in but also for Austin and Jones to really step up and make their claim to be our main creators after good seasons.

laddo
14-06-2023, 10:21 AM
It certainly is a position where we are seemingly well covered. If does indeed make fitting McG in easier IMO, and if he and JJ and Austin are our main creative talent going into next season and they remain relatively injury free I am more than happy. JJ should excel.

tied_up_in_notts
14-06-2023, 11:30 AM
Some people clearly have absolutely no idea what free agency means

the_anticlough
14-06-2023, 12:31 PM
Good luck to Ruben, joy to watch for the vast majority of his three years here and gave us a final season to deliver promotion when others moved on last summer. Deserves his shot at a higher level.

For us it’s an opportunity not just to fit McGoldrick in but also for Austin and Jones to really step up and make their claim to be our main creators after good seasons.

Good post. As Laddo says, we're quite well positioned player-wise for replacing his creativity. The 3 mentioned will get their shot and the signs are promising.

OP67
14-06-2023, 03:58 PM
I wonder if he spoke to Jodi before he made the decision. They didn't seem too bothered about helping him recover from his latest injury.

Kyle95
14-06-2023, 04:18 PM
Overall, not too shabby?

Manning is an excellent head coach. People have chosen to look at the end of his MK Dons reign. The season prior he almost got them to the play off final. He also massively developed Scott Twine who they sold to Burnley for £4 million. Manning and Luke Williams are pretty much clones in their philosophy. Manning likes the 4-2-3-1 and i can see Ruben slotting in the number 10 spot perfectly. I've seen people suggest we need to sign somebody to replace him, but i disagree. Jones, Didzy, Scott and even Austin are capable of playing Ruben' role. He was a brilliant player for us, but with the signings of Jones and McGoldrick we have arguably upgraded on him imo.

OP67
14-06-2023, 06:25 PM
He was a brilliant player for us, but with the signings of Jones and McGoldrick we have arguably upgraded on him imo.

Agreed

crazyfists
15-06-2023, 10:53 AM
Thank you Ruben for the goals, assists, skills and promotion. You deserve to go onto anywhere you like. Thanks for the stag do video as well. All the best and take care.

durhampie
15-06-2023, 12:43 PM
Thank you Ruben for the goals, assists, skills and promotion. You deserve to go onto anywhere you like. Thanks for the stag do video as well. All the best and take care.

Hopefully it wont be too long before we have another hero to idolise.. it will be interesting to follow the careers of both Ruben and Nemane as they enter this new phase.... I predict the latter will probably end up back in the National League in the not too distant future...

GranthamPie
15-06-2023, 12:50 PM
Hopefully it wont be too long before we have another hero to idolise.. it will be interesting to follow the careers of both Ruben and Nemane as they enter this new phase.... I predict the latter will probably end up back in the National League in the not too distant future...

Namanes gone?

Proactive not Reactive
15-06-2023, 01:19 PM
Namanes gone?
That’s wishful thinking on Durham’s part he doesn’t rate him - 10 minute wonder in his opinion.
In my view tremendous last season and still hope he signs a new contract

the_anticlough
15-06-2023, 01:33 PM
That’s wishful thinking on Durham’s part he doesn’t rate him - 10 minute wonder in his opinion.

Surely that stands at a 10-month wonder now

laddo
15-06-2023, 01:41 PM
XD

crazyfists
15-06-2023, 04:39 PM
In my view tremendous last season and still hope he signs a new contract

Best player in the final and several other games I've seen this season. Might not have gone up without his ability to take people on, get past them or assist. LW has made him a hell a of a player, mainly down to sorting his confidence out.

crazyfists
15-06-2023, 04:41 PM

Has he gone? I agree about Ruben, will be good to see how he does and he'll always get a great reception at ML if he comes back. He stayed last season and saw it through. Good lad and good luck as we all seem to agree.

tommopie8
16-06-2023, 11:17 AM
Not sure how anyone can throw shade on Nemane - simple fact is we'd be playing Fylde next year but for that tackle against Boreham Wood.

SmiffyPie
16-06-2023, 12:27 PM
Whether Nemane was rated by some or not, the opposition generally saw his threat and put two on his wing to stop his runs into the box when he got into their last quarter (pass and go being the best part of his attacking game IMO).

Davy500
16-06-2023, 12:35 PM

In the midst of all this happeness - I :heart:how Ruben made the best goodbye - cheering and pointing to the fans - thankyou ..

SmiffyPie
16-06-2023, 12:37 PM
How the heck do you delete an unintentional post?
Not the post above, I reposted it!

Davy500
16-06-2023, 12:45 PM
Still can not believe the save from Mair.....with his foot that returned us to the EFL

Magpies1959
16-06-2023, 01:01 PM
It just gets better and better, not only as a save, but in it's importance to the club.

Grumpy Git
14-04-2024, 10:51 AM
Ruben got a brace yesterday for Oxford in their 5-0 thrashing of Peterborough. That takes him to 9 for the season. Oxford look set for ad playoff place after a late upturn in form. 3 wins, 13 goals scored and zero conceded. Ruben is showing that he’s got what it takes in League One and who knows how the playoffs go!

the_anticlough
14-04-2024, 12:18 PM
Ruben got a brace yesterday for Oxford in their 5-0 thrashing of Peterborough. That takes him to 9 for the season. Oxford look set for ad playoff place after a late upturn in form. 3 wins, 13 goals scored and zero conceded. Ruben is showing that he’s got what it takes in League One and who knows how the playoffs go!

I'll try to catch those.
It hasn't worked out how you might have imagined - stunning performances mixed in with inconsistency so in and out of the team a bit? Not at all? It seems to have been the opposite - regular starter, but not the number of goals and assists compared to other players. But he's obviously made himself important enough for 2 mangers to consider him undroppable.

BigFatPie
14-04-2024, 01:35 PM
I can see Ruben in the Championship next season with or without Oxford.

OchPie
14-04-2024, 01:36 PM
I can see Ruben in the Championship next season with or without Oxford.

Looks like some Oxford fans worry LW will come in for him.

tommopie8
14-04-2024, 03:35 PM

Closest I've ever had to a second club is Chelsea after we played them in the Carling Cup and Ross County but if Ruben and LW were reunited I don't think I'd be able to not want them to do well.

A little outlandish but it wouldn't surprise me if Ruben ended up playing some sort of European Competition in his career (conference league with a Portuguese club or something) and Luke Williams manages a big club at the top level.

BJPIE
14-04-2024, 07:17 PM
The ****ing adulation for Ruben is ridiculous. I know why he left. For more money. Good for him, but he has no allegiance to us. I have no ****ing interest in him. Please try to post about Notts County, that is what matters

Elite_Pie
14-04-2024, 07:33 PM
The ****ing adulation for Ruben is ridiculous. I know why he left. For more money. Good for him, but he has no allegiance to us. I have no ****ing interest in him. Please try to post about Notts County, that is what matters

If you have no ****ing interest in him, what made you click on this thread?

Putney Pie
14-04-2024, 07:55 PM
Couldn’t agree more.

BigFatPie
14-04-2024, 08:42 PM

Maybe he thought it was speculation on our new Portuguese radar signing, Ruben Lêávês.

i961pie
15-04-2024, 04:59 AM

Is that our you feel about Don Masson and Dean Yates etc. because they left us so let’s forget them.

LaxtonLad
15-04-2024, 05:15 AM
Is that our you feel about Don Masson and Dean Yates etc. because they left us so let’s forget them.

They both came back, one to play and the other to commentate.

LaxtonLad
15-04-2024, 05:17 AM

Well, that's some Oxford fans for you.

BJPIE
15-04-2024, 02:26 PM

To offer my opinion. But I take your point.

BJPIE
15-04-2024, 02:35 PM
No. But for the very reason I wouldnt dream of mentioning Ruben in the same breath as 2 genuine Notts County legends.

i961pie
16-04-2024, 05:08 AM
No. But for the very reason I wouldnt dream of mentioning Ruben in the same breath as 2 genuine Notts County legends.

To fans much younger than me Reuben will probably be a legend especially scoring the equaliser at Wembley. Not everyone can remember the likes of Hateley, Masson, Needham etc.

1955pie
16-04-2024, 10:07 AM
To fans much younger than me Reuben will probably be a legend especially scoring the equaliser at Wembley. Not everyone can remember the likes of Hateley, Masson, Needham etc.

Or Lawton.

Has anyone been in the Lawton Bar recently. Just a few, obviously very old photos in there. Very sad looking.

Why not rename it the Macca Bar or the Jodi Bar or the Promotion Bar? With lots of new and exciting recent photos.
And then in a couple of years when they have moved on and we have new heroes, do the same again.

It might seem like sacrilege to some but honestly how many fans today ever saw him play?

the_anticlough
16-04-2024, 10:18 AM
Or Lawton.

Has anyone been in the Lawton Bar recently. Just a few, obviously very old photos in there. Very sad looking.

Why not rename it the Macca Bar or the Jodi Bar or the Promotion Bar? With lots of new and exciting recent photos.
And then in a couple of years when they have moved on and we have new heroes, do the same again.

It might seem like sacrilege to some but honestly how many fans today ever saw him play?

We need a Notts County museum, open all year round!

lunaspie
16-04-2024, 10:41 PM
Maybe he thought it was speculation on our new Portuguese radar signing, Ruben Lêávês.

Ruben certainly left one on an Imp to concede the decisive penalty in the 47 th minute tonight.

The_Don_ORiordan
17-04-2024, 07:37 AM
Ruben has done well. Certainly better than I expected. He has talent and the right attitude, but I felt lacked the pace to play a lot higher. Good luck to him.

Grumpy Git
28-04-2024, 12:33 PM
For those of you who derided his decision to join Oxford and said it was a bad move to a club that would swap divisions with County.
Oxford are in the League One play-offs after finishing 5th.

KintoreMagpie
28-04-2024, 01:00 PM
Well done also to Craig Short who I am sure is still first team coach at Oxford. Always thought Trew got rid of CS too soon after having the courage to appoint him in the first place. I’ve no doubt Short would have benefitted from an experienced DoF being appointed along side him rather than given the boot.

Grumpy Git
18-05-2024, 09:00 PM

Obviously Ruben knows more about footy than you do. He’s now a Championship player.
Two assists in Oxford’s 2-0 defeat of Bolton at Wembley. We went in as underdogs and took them to the cleaners.
I think this was his finest game in a Yellow shirt, mature, confident, calm. Brilliant.

Riverleeno
18-05-2024, 09:43 PM
He’s now a Championship player.
Two assists in Oxford’s 2-0 defeat of Bolton at Wembley
Well played RR

SwalePie
18-05-2024, 10:20 PM
Obviously Ruben knows more about footy than you do. He’s now a Championship player.
Two assists in Oxford’s 2-0 defeat of Bolton at Wembley. We went in as underdogs and took them to the cleaners.
I think this was his finest game in a Yellow shirt, mature, confident, calm. Brilliant.

His takedown and quick thinking through ball for the second assist was sublime. Well done OU!

ForeignLegion
19-05-2024, 02:12 AM
Did Neil Ardley sign him?

BCnotts18
19-05-2024, 02:30 AM

He was signed while Ardley was manager, but I doubt he had all that much to do with it, same as Eli Sam and Casper Sloth in the same summer.

drillerpie
19-05-2024, 04:00 AM

Ardley didn't seem to rate him that much. He only really got his first run of games under Burchnall.

Most people thought he was crap until the free kick at Altrincham and he kicked on from there.

Robertomac
20-05-2024, 06:54 PM
Ardley only ever played him for 60 minutes before subbing him. I think it was clear from the start he was a special talent and surprised to see it mentioned that others thought he was crap.

51Magpie
20-05-2024, 07:32 PM
ISTR that Ardley went 17 games without giving him a start, which - given that RR's been one of the first on the team sheet through Oxford Utd's Championship-promotion season - tells you a lot about Ardley.

Chicken Balti Pie
20-05-2024, 07:37 PM
ISTR that Ardley went 17 games without giving him a start, which - given that RR's been one of the first on the team sheet through Oxford Utd's Championship-promotion season - tells you a lot about Ardley.

At the time, Ruben wasn't the Ruben that we came to know and love. He was out of shape and lacked fitness in that first season, someone must have had a word because he then switched up and was the player we now know

Elite_Pie
20-05-2024, 07:54 PM
At the time, Ruben wasn't the Ruben that we came to know and love. He was out of shape and lacked fitness in that first season, someone must have had a word because he then switched up and was the player we now know

Agree. While it was obvious from the start that Ruben had a lot of natural ability, he had plenty of anonymous games in his first season and I don't remember anyone on here saying back then that he should be an automatic starter. He showed promise under Ardley, was better under Burchnall, but only really flourished under Williams. It will be interesting to see how far he can go, I think I put League 1 as his limit.

nw6pie
20-05-2024, 09:47 PM
Agree. While it was obvious from the start that Ruben had a lot of natural ability, he had plenty of anonymous games in his first season and I don't remember anyone on here saying back then that he should be an automatic starter. He showed promise under Ardley, was better under Burchnall, but only really flourished under Williams. It will be interesting to see how far he can go, I think I put League 1 as his limit.

That first season was a baptism of fire for RR - away from home and with COVID lockdowns/isolation to deal with. It world take anyone time to adjust to a new country, but that year was something else altogether. Kudos to him for succeeding after such a surreal start.

keldsyke
21-05-2024, 06:12 PM

He was totally unfit when he arrived - he hadn’t played for 18 months if I remember rightly and we were told to be patient - post of someone with an agenda there.

OP67
21-05-2024, 06:18 PM
Ardley didn't knaow how to play Ruben as he didn't suit Ardleys style of footbsll. It wasn't until the possession based style that Birchnall brought in that Ruben fitted.

the_anticlough
21-05-2024, 07:30 PM
I don't remember anyone on here saying back then that he should be an automatic starter.

I was

Mapperleypie
21-05-2024, 07:33 PM
He was totally unfit when he arrived - he hadn’t played for 18 months if I remember rightly and we were told to be patient - post of someone with an agenda there.

It's remarkable how Ruben got immediately better under Burchnall, perhaps Neal Ardley was just unlucky as he was with our relegation out of the football league and his career trajectory since. Nice bloke but the football on offer under him was pitiful given the squad at his disposal throughout his tenure.

durhampie
21-05-2024, 07:43 PM
It's remarkable how Ruben got immediately better under Burchnall, perhaps Neal Ardley was just unlucky as he was with our relegation out of the football league and his career trajectory since. Nice bloke but the football on offer under him was pitiful given the squad at his disposal throughout his tenure.

Could it be that he was overweight and unfit why he wasnt given a regular start....

Mapperleypie
21-05-2024, 08:11 PM
Could it be that he was overweight and unfit why he wasnt given a regular start....

I'm not sure NA was ever overweight, couldn't comment on his fitness.