SwalePie
28-06-2023, 06:42 PM
[Threads merged]

BigFatPie
28-06-2023, 06:53 PM
Sounds like Nemane is staying.

Proactive not Reactive
28-06-2023, 07:04 PM
If Nemane stays it means we have only lost Ruben as a regular and fringe players of Vinny,Mitchell and Francis and have acquired McGoldrick,Randall,Crowley and Stone
So for me we have upgraded(on paper at least) and probably need another centre back and should be okay
Exciting times

OP67
28-06-2023, 07:07 PM
Glad that cleared the up the whole is Nemane staying or going...not XD

BJPIE
28-06-2023, 07:43 PM
Sounds like Nemane is staying. Sounded like he's wanting more than we've offered. He used the words "really close". I'd prefer Notts to stick to their guns if that's the case

TSANHO
28-06-2023, 07:57 PM
So good to hear from the boss again, I could listen to him all day.

I kind of feel sorry for the players at the minute, o can’t imagine these early days of pre-season are going to be easy on the body…..what do you think LW meant when he said some things are ‘non-negotiable’ 😬

BigFatPie
28-06-2023, 08:34 PM
Sounded like he's wanting more than we've offered. He used the words "really close". I'd prefer Notts to stick to their guns if that's the case

After the season he had he’s entitled to hold out for what he thinks he’d worth and Notts are equally entitled to offer likewise. Hopefully the two aren’t too far apart and he stays.

laddo
28-06-2023, 08:41 PM
A good and ultimately fair negotiation tends to leave both parties not (entirely) happy.

durhampie
28-06-2023, 08:44 PM
So good to hear from the boss again, I could listen to him all day.

I kind of feel sorry for the players at the minute, o can’t imagine these early days of pre-season are going to be easy on the body…..what do you think LW meant when he said some things are ‘non-negotiable’ ��

They play his way, or not at all...

countygump
28-06-2023, 08:57 PM
After the season he had he’s entitled to hold out for what he thinks he’d worth and Notts are equally entitled to offer likewise. Hopefully the two aren’t too far apart and he stays.

He'd be playing in a higher division as well, so should no doubt be expecting a few more quid anyway?

nw6pie
28-06-2023, 09:36 PM
If Nemane stays it means we have only lost Ruben as a regular and fringe players of Vinny,Mitchell and Francis and have acquired McGoldrick,Randall,Crowley and Stone
So for me we have upgraded(on paper at least) and probably need another centre back and should be okay
Exciting times

My only concern would be a lack of physicality to the side, but I’m sure I said the same this time last season.

Mud Pie
30-06-2023, 01:57 AM
https://youtu.be/tRT2OyitM5M

I like that Notts media are making and drip feeding these nibbles. He's not giving too much away is he? Relaxed and positive. Consistently professional Notts/LW these days.

Like the staff grey and player's green training shirts

laddo
30-06-2023, 06:30 AM
My only concern would be a lack of physicality to the side, but I’m sure I said the same this time last season.

You weren't and suspect aren't alone in that concern. A lot depends on how much possession we can maintain at this higher level. It's going to drop for the obvious reasons but how much will be interesting to see.

slack_pie
30-06-2023, 06:54 AM
No mention of any more potential signings. LW seems to think we're strong enough at the back already, and of course I trust him 100%, but my primitive footballing brain feels like we could do with one more centre back to add extra quality. Someone fast and strong enough to allow us to play the high line with confidence.

It seemed towards the end of the season that the better teams had figured out how to hurt us, or at least try to. I'm concerned that your average L2 team will put away those 3 or 4 chances we gift each game, whether through simple balls over the top of fannying around at the back. Hope I'm wrong, but it's the only weakness I can see.

Attacking-wise we look incredibly strong. I guess the whole philosophy is to defend from the front and starve the oppo of possession. But even with 75% of the ball, we still give away several gilt-edged chances each game.

The_Don_ORiordan
30-06-2023, 07:05 AM
No mention of any more potential signings. LW seems to think we're strong enough at the back already, and of course I trust him 100%, but my primitive footballing brain feels like we could do with one more centre back to add extra quality. Someone fast and strong enough to allow us to play the high line with confidence.

It seemed towards the end of the season that the better teams had figured out how to hurt us, or at least try to. I'm concerned that your average L2 team will put away those 3 or 4 chances we gift each game, whether through simple balls over the top of fannying around at the back. Hope I'm wrong, but it's the only weakness I can see.

Attacking-wise we look incredibly strong. I guess the whole philosophy is to defend from the front and starve the oppo of possession. But even with 75% of the ball, we still give away several gilt-edged chances each game.

You can adjust the high line and high press to suit.

Last season everyone we played put 10 behind the ball. This season will be a little more balanced so may not require such a high line to press the numbers required. At least not in every game….

laddo
30-06-2023, 07:07 AM
I too fear the pre-planned ball over the top/through ball to beat our high line at this level. We consistently let sides in this way , and yes I understand it was a known trade off with the attacking style we play, and no doubt the trade off at NL level paid off massively. Due to so many Notts games being televised I would suspect many L2 teams will have seen plenty of our games and identified our strengths and weaknesses. Will that give them an advantage? Or am I right I assuming Notts can get tape on L2 games from last season not televised? Anyone knows how that works?

The "fannying around at the back" doesn't concern me, it's been blown out of proportion imo in terms of chances it gifted to the opposition and how many times we actually conceded when passing about and playing out from the back, as is the Notts way under the Bros.

slack_pie
30-06-2023, 07:22 AM
It will be interesting to see how we adapt. Will we still be able to dominate possession week in, week out against better opposition? If not, will we set up differently and play a bit deeper? Looking forward to finding out.

It'll be a change for the players and fans to not be expected to win every single game. That's a relief, in a way, but we'll also have to make sure we don't collectively lose our **** if we lose a couple of games early on.

laddo
30-06-2023, 08:09 AM
It will be interesting to see how we adapt. Will we still be able to dominate possession week in, week out against better opposition? If not, will we set up differently and play a bit deeper? Looking forward to finding out.

It'll be a change for the players and fans to not be expected to win every single game. That's a relief, in a way, but we'll also have to make sure we don't collectively lose our **** if we lose a couple of games early on.

Definitely interesting to see how much we need to adapt and how we adapt. I don't know which teams last season enjoyed similar high levels of possession but will be great to see when we meet them.

I can NCM guarantee there will be mini-meltdowns when we a lose a couple early on, disappointing with all things considered, but expected#viva

slack_pie
30-06-2023, 08:18 AM
Definitely interesting to see how much we need to adapt and how we adapt. I don't know which teams last season enjoyed similar high levels of possession but will be great to see when we meet them.

I can NCM guarantee there will be mini-meltdowns when we a lose a couple early on, disappointing with all things considered, but expected#viva

We've almost forgotten what it's like to go on a poor run of results, or to be a team that wins roughly the same amount as it loses. LW has never really been under pressure at Notts either.

For what it's worth, I expect we'll have a relatively slow start and then hit our stride as the season goes on, a bit like Stockport did last season. No idea where we'll finish though. I'd take 7th right now!

TedBovisPie
30-06-2023, 01:22 PM
I’m not sure if we will have a slow start, most of the squad know how LW wants the team to play its just a matter of the newer players getting up to speed on his style of football.

John Bostock last season is a good example of this.

uysapie
30-06-2023, 02:11 PM
Teams have recruited and it looks like stronger opposition in a lot of games. We will lose/ draw a lot more this time around so I would take mid-table consolidation next season.

nw6pie
30-06-2023, 02:18 PM
Teams have recruited and it looks like stronger opposition in a lot of games. We will lose/ draw a lot more this time around so I would take mid-table consolidation next season.

We’ve been away for four seasons and I don’t have a clue about this division or the challenges we will face. As others have said, though, you’d expect to be punished for your mistakes more at this level and for your weaknesses to be exploited. We generally got away with our sloppiness and high line last season.

Magpies1959
30-06-2023, 03:04 PM
It was interesting to hear LW say that we quite like to sign players that have been through some hardship on their footballing journeys, which helps to toughen them up. JB and Dan Crowley being two good recent examples, Junior Morias would be another example, as he has played higher up the ladder. A lot of people will look at their club histories, and see them having been at a good few clubs as a negative.

OldBanksy
30-06-2023, 03:50 PM
Very good interviewer that lad