PDA

View Full Version : Grimsby Town

GrimsbySteve
06-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Hi Notts fans , congratulations on your promotion I watched and enjoyed your play-off run as a neutral what a fantastic footballing side .

Now onto the serious stuff , how many tickets will we get for that second game , I seriously don't want to miss out on it - we have almost cleared 6k season tickets as I see you have so I think demand wont go past ST holders .

Luckily I don't live local to Grimsby so have non local ID , so if worst comes to worse and I have to go in the home end where will be the best spot for someone who want's to sit quietly and enjoy a good game be ?

Good luck for the season
Steve

ncfcog
06-07-2023, 12:12 PM
Hi Notts fans , congratulations on your promotion I watched and enjoyed your play-off run as a neutral what a fantastic footballing side .

Now onto the serious stuff , how many tickets will we get for that second game , I seriously don't want to miss out on it - we have almost cleared 6k season tickets as I see you have so I think demand wont go past ST holders .

Luckily I don't live local to Grimsby so have non local ID , so if worst comes to worse and I have to go in the home end where will be the best spot for someone who want's to sit quietly and enjoy a good game be ?

Good luck for the season
Steve

We've had upwards of 4,500 away fans in the JS stand before, however, that might be reduced now for safety reasons, maybe 2,500 ish. Also, your lot didn't exactly behave themselves last time you visited! XD

BJPIE
06-07-2023, 12:36 PM
Despite their loutish behaviour, 6000 season tickets sold at Grimsby is superb. Let's hope we give them the 4500 and that they behave whilst getting beat

marky
06-07-2023, 12:39 PM
Give them around 3,500 that should be enough for them.

laddo
06-07-2023, 12:46 PM
The more the merrier

£££££

Chicken Balti Pie
06-07-2023, 12:57 PM
Current owners seem to go with getting an advantage over money so I would thought it would be the usual minimum allowed of around 2000?

Magpies1959
06-07-2023, 01:01 PM
GrimsbySteve, if you cannot get a ticket with your fans, then getting a ticket in the Derek Pavis (Main Stand) would be your best bet.

Chauncey
06-07-2023, 01:01 PM
Ayup Steve,you post on The Fishy?

Chalky

GrimsbySteve
06-07-2023, 02:12 PM
Thankyou for the replies , guess will wait and see if I can get a ticket ,if not go in that stand .

We would definately do the lot if you gave us 4.5k , I do understand though sometimes a section of our fans can be problematic at some away games .

You will only get 1200 when you play at our place as our old ground only holds a touch over 8k now with restrictions ,and with the home ends been virtually full with the ST holders 1/3 of the away end is used by home fans ; annoying for away teams and as someone elluded to above missing out on ££££ for the clubs capable of larger followings .

Chalky - I don't post on The Fishy but do watch on ,so have seen some of your posts ; a good contributor on there .

Thanks again

BigFatPie
06-07-2023, 02:27 PM
I can understand us limiting away fans for playoff games, would be a shame if we can’t get as many as possible in for a league game in August, and for Lincoln in the League cup.

3,500ish?

BJPIE
06-07-2023, 02:33 PM
The Jimmy Sirrel holds 4500. Whilst it does give away teams a huge vocal backing if fully taken up, I feel they should have them, it doesn't require any more segregation. It's a big ground and upkeep is not cheap. Of course, the police may have an opinion on Grimsby numbers!!

uysapie
06-07-2023, 04:09 PM
The Jimmy Sirrel holds 4500. Whilst it does give away teams a huge vocal backing if fully taken up, I feel they should have them, it doesn't require any more segregation. It's a big ground and upkeep is not cheap. Of course, the police may have an opinion on Grimsby numbers!!

Hasn't the JS capacity been reduced because of concourse issues?

kill_the_drum
06-07-2023, 04:28 PM
From memory, wasn’t it reduced because it didn’t meet H&S regs?
I don’t think the exits Vs number of fans was enough.

Robertomac
06-07-2023, 05:09 PM
I'm pretty sure there was nearly an incident when we played Chesterfield in the 2009/10 season with the volume of fans in the JS. At that time away fans were in the X block, near the Kop. I believe the issue is that the concourse isn't big enough to accommodate the number of fans and so risks there being a crush.

Chauncey
06-07-2023, 06:55 PM
Chalky - I don't post on The Fishy but do watch on ,so have seen some of your posts ; a good contributor on there .

Thanks again

You should join in Steve,they are a good set of lads on there,irs one of the few forums that I check out most days

I hope that Grimsby get the whole stand personally,there's nothing better than a full away end to bring atmosphere to a game and we've given more tickets to bigger rivalries clubs than Grimsby

BJPIE
06-07-2023, 08:21 PM
Hasn't the JS capacity been reduced because of concourse issues?

Forest were initially given 3900 in the JS for the friendly, so assume that might be the max this season

Magpies1959
06-07-2023, 09:18 PM
If the concourse is the issue, surely it would make financial sense to put in another large exit half way along the stand, to stop any crush.

Jeekay56
06-07-2023, 10:24 PM
If the concourse is the issue, surely it would make financial sense to put in another large exit half way along the stand, to stop any crush.

But isn't this your understanding of the club's finances?

Not sure if this is how it works, but if we sold 4,000 season tickets last year, and our average attendance was 8,000, i.e. double that of S/T sales, having now sold 5,600 season tickets so far can we be expecting our average attendance to be around 11,000 this coming season.

Chicken Balti Pie
06-07-2023, 10:36 PM

It's not really the exits but the crush at half time when people are getting drinks and such. I think the only way it's getting back to capacity is if we rebuilt the stand which isn't happening any time soon.

ThaiPie
07-07-2023, 02:50 AM
Since ML was re-built, comments have been made about the ground being too big for the clubs needs.
So it's positive to hear talk about where to fit all the fans in.
In the Storrie era, the aspiration was 8 through the gate (8,000), but alas the club never got close.
If the club continues it's growth, then the five year plans should start to include ground redevelopment for capacity, fan safety and match day experience.

OchPie
07-07-2023, 04:16 AM
What I understood from the 2019 safety certificate (not looked at a more recent one) is that above 4,400 in the JS and the club has to present a specific risk assessment for the event to address overcrowding risks, and there has to be a meeting of the Safety Advisory Group.

If the JS is given over completely to away fans, the rated capacity was 5,775. If there's segregation (i.e. some home fans in the JS), away capacity was 3,365.

I'd be surprised if these numbers have changed.

jonnyt1
07-07-2023, 07:45 AM
My understanding is that Cattle Market road has to go to allow more capacity in the JS stand. Apparently we can apply to close it for certain games to allow greater capacity but the cost is prohibitive.

laddo
07-07-2023, 08:09 AM
Looks like the only real negative of moving away fans from The Kop to the JS.

slack_pie
07-07-2023, 08:20 AM
Is the JS being limited a new thing? I seem to remember the entire stand being sold out not too long ago against the likes of Coventry and Mansfield.

Chicken Balti Pie
07-07-2023, 09:01 AM
Is the JS being limited a new thing? I seem to remember the entire stand being sold out not too long ago against the likes of Coventry and Mansfield.

It's been limited for a few years to around 4000. Recently the owners seemingly don't offer up the whole stand anyway in order to keep a competitive advantage. Look at the "behemoth's" if Stockport and Wrexham, either they couldn't sell all the tickets or they only got max half the stand

GrimsbySteve
27-07-2023, 09:10 AM
We have all but sold the first 2k in an hour this morning .

Do you think there will be anymore made available ?

Should be one hell of a crowd in that day at your place , could it reach 15k+ ?

Very excited for that game

Notts78
27-07-2023, 03:32 PM
We have all but sold the first 2k in an hour this morning .

Do you think there will be anymore made available ?

Should be one hell of a crowd in that day at your place , could it reach 15k+ ?

Very excited for that game

I hope not. You have more vile fans than most.

SwalePie
27-07-2023, 05:18 PM
From Grimsby 'X' (Twitter)

"After a very busy first day of ticket sales, we have sold over 1700 tickets for our away trip to Notts County on Saturday 12th August.We have also had confirmation that we will be receiving a further 993 tickets from our hosts, taking our full allocation to 2,973!"

tied_up_in_notts
27-07-2023, 06:02 PM
Everybody's Big Day Out

Elite_Pie
27-07-2023, 06:24 PM

Maybe, maybe not. It's just that this bloke appears one of the decent ones.

GranthamPie
27-07-2023, 06:43 PM

I’ve been to Grimsby more times than I can remember and have never had an issue with their supporters. I’ve seen some drunken idiots when they’ve come down here but for the most part, they’re all hot air.

Christ… you want to see the state of some of our own on match days!

Stags on the other hand!

marky
27-07-2023, 07:31 PM
I went to Grimsby on opening day of 2007 season and there was no trouble then, is it maybe just some of their away fans who create trouble but surely they're not as bad as Mansfield.

Notts78
27-07-2023, 08:24 PM
I went to Grimsby on opening day of 2007 season and there was no trouble then, is it maybe just some of their away fans who create trouble but surely they're not as bad as Mansfield.

My opinion is very much the travelling element. Completely trashing a train. Didn’t we stop away fans having access to seats near the pitch on the back of Grimsby fans? If they are so well behaved why is there a bigger police presence?
I understand that some fans (of all teams) like a beer and in some cases a bit extra, IMO the couple of games they had in their promotion season, drink/class A drugs seemed to be the norm with a lot of their fans.

maddogslater
28-07-2023, 08:02 AM
What a rude response to a civilised question, you sound like the vile person.

GrimsbySteve
28-07-2023, 02:10 PM
There has been problems in the past , but I have never really seen much home or away tbh , just hear about it through social media or people who have been there .

In the main we are a good bunch , I think most sets of fans are but there is obviously always that element that can tarnish everyone with the same brush so to speak .

I hope our game is trouble free and we give a very good football team a run for their money , but whatever the outcome both sets of fans have an enjoyable day .

BJPIE
28-07-2023, 07:28 PM
Went with a friend on the train to watch Wimbledon in 21/22 so he could complete The 92. Met a load of Grimsby fans travelling to Barnet. There was a lot of them and they were fine. Every club has its bad element and yes there have definitely bee issues but no need to be rude to GrimsbySteve.

GrimsbySteve
09-08-2023, 01:15 PM
Thanks BJPie , I don't doubt there is a problematic element to our fanbase at times , but most don't go looking for trouble and we are very much a family club these days .

We have sold over 2700 tickets now so it should sell out , what do you think the overall crowd will be ?

I made the 6 hour round trip last night to Mansfield and we were very poor - but we tried quite a couple of players out of position that wont play on Saturday and your more distant neighbours played full strength and look a good side ; it could have been more .

I am looking forward to Saturday , it seems like some of your fans are having a similiar meltdown to some of ours and no doubt one set of fans will be more unhappy after Saturday (unless it's a draw ) .

I feel you will give a team a beating , hoping it's not us . How much of a loss is Baldwin ?

Looking forward to seeing Nemane , Chicksen and Bostock live as I enjoyed them as a neutral on BT sport last season and in that run in of the play-offs .

Cheers
Steve

slack_pie
09-08-2023, 01:29 PM
Thanks BJPie , I don't doubt there is a problematic element to our fanbase at times , but most don't go looking for trouble and we are very much a family club these days .

We have sold over 2700 tickets now so it should sell out , what do you think the overall crowd will be ?

I made the 6 hour round trip last night to Mansfield and we were very poor - but we tried quite a couple of players out of position that wont play on Saturday and your more distant neighbours played full strength and look a good side ; it could have been more .

I am looking forward to Saturday , it seems like some of your fans are having a similiar meltdown to some of ours and no doubt one set of fans will be more unhappy after Saturday (unless it's a draw ) .

I feel you will give a team a beating , hoping it's not us . How much of a loss is Baldwin ?

Looking forward to seeing Nemane , Chicksen and Bostock live as I enjoyed them as a neutral on BT sport last season and in that run in of the play-offs .

Cheers
Steve

Aye up Steve.

I'd imagine there will be over 10k there on Saturday. Should be a lively one!

Baldwin isn't a world beater, but he's pretty much our best defender. So yeah, it's a bit of a loss.

Mansfield look a decent side this year, so I wouldn't read too much into that. They'll be top seven for sure this year. I think both Notts and Grimsby fans will know a lot more about their sides come Saturday evening, but I have to say that I'm not confident. If you are anything like the team that beat us in the playoffs - i.e. hardworking and well-organised - we'll probably struggle.

I can see a score draw or you lot winning.

marky
09-08-2023, 01:50 PM
Fear Grimsby will just bully Notts and have the edge.

GrimsbySteve
09-08-2023, 02:25 PM
Last season I would agree Marky , but this time out I'm not sure - we are not a physical team but a technical one who pass it a lot with a relatively short set of players in terms of stature ; on my count we only have 3 outfielders who are likely to start over 6 foot and 2 of those will be in the back 4 . We won't be launching it up to a big man , it's playing it out from the back and all that .

slack_pie
09-08-2023, 05:41 PM
Last season I would agree Marky , but this time out I'm not sure - we are not a physical team but a technical one who pass it a lot with a relatively short set of players in terms of stature ; on my count we only have 3 outfielders who are likely to start over 6 foot and 2 of those will be in the back 4 . We won't be launching it up to a big man , it's playing it out from the back and all that .

If you still have Luke Waterfall, he'll score from a corner, guaranteed.