PDA

View Full Version : Summers of the 60’s and 70’s

mickd1961
08-07-2023, 08:26 PM
When you think back to these does your memory work like mine?

I see it all in tones of sepia, through that orangey, brown haze that pervades films and photos of that era.

I’m watching a Bee Gees documentary this evening and they’re telling how Night Fever was actually a rip off of an old song I’ve always loved but didn’t know the title of until now, Theme From A Summer Place which I’ve posted a link to below, sung by Andy Williams in this case.

I always think of a 70’s sepia summer when I hear it, the instrumental version is superb.

https://youtu.be/GTnEk9JhVQc

baggieal
08-07-2023, 10:08 PM
When you think back to these does your memory work like mine?

I see it all in tones of sepia, through that orangey, brown haze that pervades films and photos of that era.

I’m watching a Bee Gees documentary this evening and they’re telling how Night Fever was actually a rip off of an old song I’ve always loved but didn’t know the title of until now, Theme From A Summer Place which I’ve posted a link to below, sung by Andy Williams in this case.

I always think of a 70’s sepia summer when I hear it, the instrumental version is superb.

https://youtu.be/GTnEk9JhVQc

Remember more the very early eighties Mick with nightclubs such as Snobs, Boogies, Faces etc and the Mods. Loved Sam Wellers in Brum too!

That’s not to say I loved sixties music which was fab!

Love how offices now are are all casual dress even with directors. Slacks and snot rags in jacket pockets are well before my time and prehistoric!

mickd1961
08-07-2023, 10:34 PM
Remember more the very early eighties Mick with nightclubs such as Snobs, Boogies, Faces etc and the Mods. Loved Sam Wellers in Brum too!

That’s not to say I loved sixties music which was fab!

Love how offices now are are all casual dress even with directors. Slacks and snot rags in jacket pockets are well before my time and prehistoric!

I hated night clubs.

I liked it when people dressed smartly for work .

Not every company is a Silicon Valley Google or Facebook type operation where people wear sandals and play table tennis to chill out every couple of hours.

In an internet operation like mine casual is fine but if I ran a business that was more face to face with the public, especially with anything such as banking or legal I would insist on smart dress and a suit and tie for the blokes.

If a bank representative turned up at my place in shorts and an open necked linen shirt he’d get short shrift.

A certain standard is still important in my opinion.

Albionic68
09-07-2023, 08:11 AM
Not old enough to remember the summers of the 60s but my abiding memories of the 70s are seemingly endless days of sunshine, climbing trees, riding bikes, running wild without a care in the world (until I got home) and playing football. Lots and lots of football.

And any other sport or games we fancied like tracking, tick under release and thunder and lightning; the latter being very appropriate given yesterday's weather over here but for different reasons to sunshine and the seemingly care free days of childhood.

By the way, I loved going to nightclubs but that was so I could play different games with the young ladies of the 80s whose parents are now in their 80s or 90s. If they're still with us of course. How time flies......

baggieal
09-07-2023, 08:41 AM
Not old enough to remember the summers of the 60s but my abiding memories of the 70s are seemingly endless days of sunshine, climbing trees, riding bikes, running wild without a care in the world (until I got home) and playing football. Lots and lots of football.

And any other sport or games we fancied like tracking, tick under release and thunder and lightning; the latter being very appropriate given yesterday's weather over here but for different reasons to sunshine and the seemingly care free days of childhood.

By the way, I loved going to nightclubs but that was so I could play different games with the young ladies of the 80s whose parents are now in their 80s or 90s. If they're still with us of course. How time flies......

That's the scary bit - how time flies. Went to Selly Oak park about 6 months ago and nothing much has changed and remember playing football with my grandad when i was around 10 - the exact spots too! I bet Mick can remember like a jigsaw his nan in her home and conversations now he's actually purchased their house.

SwedishBaggie
09-07-2023, 08:56 AM
I hated night clubs.

I liked it when people dressed smartly for work .

Not every company is a Silicon Valley Google or Facebook type operation where people wear sandals and play table tennis to chill out every couple of hours.

In an internet operation like mine casual is fine but if I ran a business that was more face to face with the public, especially with anything such as banking or legal I would insist on smart dress and a suit and tie for the blokes.

If a bank representative turned up at my place in shorts and an open necked linen shirt he’d get short shrift.

A certain standard is still important in my opinion.

”a business that was more face to face with the public, especially with anything such as banking or legal I would insist on smart dress and a suit and tie for the blokes.

A certain standard is still important in my opinion.”

Hear, hear!

WBA1955
09-07-2023, 11:23 AM
Summers of the sixties were holidays often abroad with my parents and long school holidays. The summers of the seventies were lazy Sunday nights outside pubs like The Mill at Alverley or the ones in Kinver.
Of course we only remember the good days.
Was it all so simple then or has time rewritten every line? As the song goes.

mickd1961
09-07-2023, 11:39 AM
Summers of the sixties were holidays often abroad with my parents and long school holidays. The summers of the seventies were lazy Sunday nights outside pubs like The Mill at Alverley or the ones in Kinver.
Of course we only remember the good days.
Was it all so simple then or has time rewritten every line? As the song goes.

Talking of pubs Des…..do you use The Navigation at Swindon near Kingswinford?

It got a terrible hygiene rating and the owner has been banned from ever running a food establishment again.

I presume there must be a new owner?

phild
09-07-2023, 01:11 PM
"I would insist on smart dress and a suit and tie for the blokes"

Blokes still wear smart dress but today he would probably be in a nice knee length floral number, trannys do now seem to be everywhere these days

9goals2hattricks3pen
09-07-2023, 01:16 PM
Talking of pubs Des…..do you use The Navigation at Swindon near Kingswinford?

It got a terrible hygiene rating and the owner has been banned from ever running a food establishment again.

I presume there must be a new owner?

Brought back some happy memories.Many a time in the 70's. Great place to rake the girlfriend. Plenty of places to park up. Clent Hills or Barr Beacon were the 2 favourite places dependent on which side of town the young lasdy came from.