PDA

View Full Version : Southend United FC

Notts78
15-07-2023, 07:06 AM
Looks like another former long standing league club could be out of business very soon. Very sad times.
Have cancelled both of their opening PSF to date as don’t have enough players.
Seen a picture on social media of the ground which looks like it’s been abandoned.
Hopefully the club can be sold in the coming weeks or it looks to be curtains.
On a side note Chesterfield won’t have an easier chance of getting out of the NL.

LaxtonLad
15-07-2023, 07:29 AM
Looks like another former long standing league club could be out of business very soon. Very sad times.
Seen a picture on social media of the ground which looks like it’s been abandoned.
On a side note Chesterfield won’t have an easier chance of getting out of the NL.

Doesn't Southend's demise deny Chesterfield six points?

Notts78
15-07-2023, 07:33 AM
Doesn't Southend's demise deny Chesterfield six points?

If Southend do survive I think it will deny most teams 6 points.

My point about Chesterfield is the investment they have made in players v the whole competition in the NL. It looks seriously weak this season coming. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Chesterfield promoted with a good number of games remaining.

laddo
15-07-2023, 08:13 AM
Not football news I wanted to wake up to.

Never been to Roots Hall, only driven past it but when I think of Sarfend I think of early to mid 90s and watch Ricky Otto and Co against a Derby or similar on Central TVs chosen Sunday game from the Championship whilst slowly doing homework.

Been a little talk of Southend being a potential threat (dark horses) to the clear favourites (5/2) Chesterfield following last season's efforts but I note this morning the Es*** sides odds have dramatically dropped these past couple of days from 16/1 to 33/1. Information only.

If you aren't run well, have a dodgy owner, are a mess off the field with serious problems ultimately you've got no chance of success on it. From a distance Maher seemed to do a great job last season in incredibly difficult circumstances but after a while they got too much and they fell away.

Wish them well obviously.

matt_magpie
15-07-2023, 08:18 AM
If Southend do survive I think it will deny most teams 6 points.

My point about Chesterfield is the investment they have made in players v the whole competition in the NL. It looks seriously weak this season coming. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Chesterfield promoted with a good number of games remaining.

Will be even more funny if they don’t make it. I think it’s my favourite promotion for us I’ve seen, getting to the top flight last time was amazing but the feeling this time was total relievement. I bet they’re feeling they’re never going to get out with how the last couple of seasons have gone.
Wish the best to Southend.

countygump
15-07-2023, 09:51 AM
Will be even more funny if they don’t make it. I think it’s my favourite promotion for us I’ve seen, getting to the top flight last time was amazing but the feeling this time was total relievement. I bet they’re feeling they’re never going to get out with how the last couple of seasons have gone.
Wish the best to Southend.

There's always an unexpected dark horse or two in every season and it's a pig of a league to get out of. There always seems to be an elevated level of anxiety for any club that wants to get out of the NL and back to the League, more so than any other League, prob because it is so difficult.

Best of luck to Southend. As far as I recall, their ownership problems have been ongoing since @ 2019. They deserve a decent break or two.

nw6pie
15-07-2023, 09:53 AM
York City might be dark horses this season - seem to spending a bit. Hard to see beyond Oldham or Chesterfield, though.

OP67
15-07-2023, 10:47 AM
I see Southend have been given another extention to pay the HMRC recently. How many times can that happen though when the season start is getting closer and no interested buyers. Sad times for their fans indeed.

As for Cheaterfurlough they're just following Wrexhams business plan of throwing money at the title this season. If that doesn't work they could end up like Southend though.

upthemaggies
15-07-2023, 10:54 AM
Hope they make it, but once clubs drop out of the FL they seem to be much more vulnerable to going out of business, Newport, Chester, Halifax, Darlington, Scarborough, Rushden & Diamonds, Bradford Park Avenue and Macclesfield have all gone bust and had to reform after being relegated from tier 4.
Only Maidstone, Aldershot and Bury have gone bust whilst still in the FL in the last 60 years.

marky
15-07-2023, 10:57 AM
Good luck to Southend, hope they pull through but I do think and hope Chesterfield make it back this year they've been down for 6 years far too long, it's gotta be their turn this time surely.

laddo
15-07-2023, 10:58 AM
York City might be dark horses this season - seem to spending a bit. Hard to see beyond Oldham or Chesterfield, though.

Yeah nice pick but obviously lots of might be dark horses. I like York and Eastleigh to finish Top 7 and Top 3.

tommopie8
15-07-2023, 11:32 AM
Hope they make it, but once clubs drop out of the FL they seem to be much more vulnerable to going out of business, Newport, Chester, Halifax, Darlington, Scarborough, Rushden & Diamonds, Bradford Park Avenue and Macclesfield have all gone bust and had to reform after being relegated from tier 4.
Only Maidstone, Aldershot and Bury have gone bust whilst still in the FL in the last 60 years.

Didn't Macclesfield go bust in the football league the summer we got relegated?

upthemaggies
15-07-2023, 11:37 AM
Didn't Macclesfield go bust in the football league the summer we got relegated?

No it was the season after they got relegated, they were on our 2020/21 fixture list but they never played a game, the table was published with them still on it for the first few weeks of that season.

Chicken Balti Pie
15-07-2023, 11:56 AM
Southend are sadly screwed by an owner who sees the pound signs in redeveloping the ground for housing it seems. Let's hope they pull through and then the impending housing crash results in their current owner being hurt in the pocket because anyone who lets a football club die for their own gain deserves everything coming to them. Football isn't a normal business, it's a community

upthemaggies
15-07-2023, 12:16 PM
If Southend go bust it makes me shudder to think that Hashtag United (formed in 2016 by a youtuber) could become the highest placed club in the pyramid in that area, they are currently based in Pitsea (very close to Southend) and have just got promoted - with Bowers and Pitsea FC going in the opposite direction - and Hashtag are now in the same league as Canvey Island and Concord Rangers.

marky
15-07-2023, 12:18 PM
If Southend go bust it makes me shudder to think that Hashtag United (formed in 2016 by a youtuber) could become the highest placed club in the pyramid in that area, they are currently based in Pitsea (very close to Southend) and have just got promoted - with Bowers and Pitsea FC going in the opposite direction - and Hashtag are now in the same league as Canvey Island and Concord Rangers.

Wouldn't it be Dagenham thought they were still in National League.

upthemaggies
15-07-2023, 12:34 PM
Wouldn't it be Dagenham thought they were still in National League.

Dagenham aren't in Es*** anymore (East London borough these days) and both Gillingham and Ebbsfleet are closer to Southend than D&R, though those two are of course on the other side of the Thames Estuary. I'm sure they'd reform and rise up the levels fairly quickly but there is a danger Hashtag might gain a fair bit of extra support from this, I can't be doing with these fake clubs like FC United of Manchester.

Glad2BeAPie
15-07-2023, 04:53 PM
Good luck to Southend, hope they pull through but I do think and hope Chesterfield make it back this year they've been down for 6 years far too long, it's gotta be their turn this time surely.
I think you might be in a minority of 1 on that. I hope they're down there for a few seasons

Kyle95
15-07-2023, 05:38 PM

I think the point about Chesterfield is incredibly harsh on the other teams tbh. Oldham, York, Gateshead and Woking have all strengthened well. You'd expect Boreham Wood, Bromley and Hartlepool to be competitive also.

PedroTheFisherman66
15-07-2023, 05:42 PM
I'm still waiting for the government to reclaim the ferlough money they were paid seeing as they were given insurance payments for the pandemic...!!

OP67
15-07-2023, 07:02 PM
I'm still waiting for the government to reclaim the ferlough money they were paid seeing as they were given insurance payments for the pandemic...!!

You'll be waiting a loooooooooong time for that. There's 1000's of companies and non companies to reclaim from that sh*tshow

OchPie
24-08-2023, 07:36 AM
Deducted ten points for non-payment of the debt to HMRC.

slack_pie
24-08-2023, 08:03 AM
Deducted ten points for non-payment of the debt to HMRC.

Feel for the fans. That could so easily have been us.

OchPie
24-08-2023, 08:27 AM
In court on Wednesday, the judge warned Martin that the club, founded in 1906, would be wound up if the new deadline of 4 October was missed.

"If this was not a football club, with the attachment of its fans, I would be winding it up today," Judge Sebastian Prentis said. "This has got to be sorted out".

Ouch.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66591344

durhampie
24-08-2023, 09:15 AM
There's nothing like kicking a club when they are down..

countygump
24-08-2023, 09:31 AM

As with the 10pt deduction, it's always the club and the fans that get penalised, not the dodgy rsole of an owner.

Players and staff being paid late, club in turmoil, let's give them another kicking.

upthemaggies
24-08-2023, 10:36 AM
Points deductions should have been binned after the 2008/09 fiasco when we had three L2 clubs deducted at least 17 points and another deducted 10. It makes a complete mockery of the game when the outcome is being decided off the pitch by people in suits. I suppose Football can only do so much though and that you'd need a change in financial laws and regulations to be able to punish the people responsible and to force and keep them out of the game. The Southend owner has just been on talksport making excuses, but it sounds like he's just holding out for what least impacts him personally as he stands to lose out if they go into admin, a scenario we're very familiar with.

uysapie
24-08-2023, 10:46 AM
Points deductions should have been binned after the 2008/09 fiasco when we had three L2 clubs deducted at least 17 points and another deducted 10. It makes a complete mockery of the game when the outcome is being decided off the pitch by people in suits. I suppose Football can only do so much though and that you'd need a change in financial laws and regulations to be able to punish the people responsible and to force and keep them out of the game. The Southend owner has just been on talksport making excuses, but it sounds like he's just holding out for what least impacts him personally as he stands to lose out if they go into admin, a scenario we're very familiar with.

The NL made it very clear what the conditions of the licence werewhen they allowed Southend to start the season.

Southend will not be put into administation if this is not sorted by October, they will be wound up.

upthemaggies
24-08-2023, 11:00 AM
The NL made it very clear what the conditions of the licence werewhen they allowed Southend to start the season.

Southend will not be put into administation if this is not sorted by October, they will be wound up.

Owner reckons the NL have no legal basis for docking them points and didn't come across as being overly concerned about the 42 day deadline, but he's probably full of it.

queenslandpie
24-08-2023, 11:14 AM
Well supported propor club with a right plonker in charge. I hope he rots and they get new owners as is suggested they will.

Chicken Balti Pie
24-08-2023, 11:35 AM
Owner reckons the NL have no legal basis for docking them points and didn't come across as being overly concerned about the 42 day deadline, but he's probably full of it.

The owner doesn't care about Southend. If they go through, he can redevelop Roots Hall for housing, if he sells them, he gets money and can redevelop Roots Hall for housing, seems to be a theme right?

Best way of dealing with these scum owners, make it law that sports facilities can never be anything other than sports facilities. One fell swoop you get rid of property developers only interested in the land

countygump
24-08-2023, 11:45 AM

Would a bond deposited with the FA by any potential owner help? The lower down the Leagues you go. I guess the less it would have to be. If used for payment of players/staff or HMRC it would then have to be topped up though and what would the consequences of not doing that be? A points deduction on the club? Would it put potential owners off getting involved in lower league footy? Would the owners it did put off be one's you would prob want to avoid anyway?

MAD_MAGPIE
24-08-2023, 11:48 AM
As with the 10pt deduction, it's always the club and the fans that get penalised, not the dodgy rsole of an owner.

Players and staff being paid late, club in turmoil, let's give them another kicking.

Somethings got to change in the game because it's got to be the custodians directly who should be held accountable and punished. Not the victims which are the club itself such as any staff who may not be getting their wage paid, and the fans.

What also needs to happen is that grounds or the land the ground is on be given protection status almost like grade 2 listed buildings in that as part of planning the land can only be developed in the future for the football club. Football clubs are part of our communities and heritage.

The only way to change it would then to make an application to relocate to another area with proof of funding and construction of a new stadium are all in place. Until such time the new stadium is handed over then the status of the land the former ground was on could then be changed to something else.

It's got to stop happening, but it doesn't. It shows how lucky we were as this could quite easily have happened to us.

upthemaggies
24-08-2023, 12:12 PM
In the first 80 years of the Football League there were just 2 points deductions, Sunderland in 1890 and Stockport in 1927 (Notts got one too but it was overturned).

Sine then - and just in the top 4 tiers and not including those that were successfully appealed.....
1 points deduction in the 1960s
3 issued in the 1970s
5 in the 1980s
5 in the 1990s
19 in the 2000s
18 in the 2010s
8 so far in the 2020s (3 of those for Reading alone)

Points deductions are clearly not acting as a deterrent.

frenchmagpie
24-08-2023, 01:05 PM
In the first 80 years of the Football League there were just 2 points deductions, Sunderland in 1890 and Stockport in 1927 (Notts got one too but it was overturned).

Sine then - and just in the top 4 tiers and not including those that were successfully appealed.....
3 issued in the 1970s
5 in the 1980s
5 in the 1990s
19 in the 2000s
18 in the 2010s

You could even claim that they are an incentive. They can speed up the demise of the football side to release the land which is the real target. As usual fans have the answers (see Mad-Magpie above) but the crooks in power have no reason to implement it.

pravda_plc
24-08-2023, 01:41 PM

3 issued in the 1970s
5 in the 1980s
5 in the 1990s
19 in the 2000s
18 in the 2010s

You missed the heaviest points deduction....... Luton Town, - 30 points 2008-9....... which basically relegated them before they had kicked a ball. :s

upthemaggies
24-08-2023, 01:59 PM
You missed the heaviest points deduction....... Luton Town, - 30 points 2008-9....... which basically relegated them before they had kicked a ball. :s

I've not made it clear that those figures are for how many separate punishments were issued each decade, not the grand total of accumulated points taken away.

The full list.... in reverse order (top 4 tiers only)

16th Aug 2023 Reading
Start 2023/24 Wigan Ath.
4th Apr 2023 Reading
20th Mar 2023 Wigan Ath.
17th Nov 2021 Reading
22nd Sep 2021 Derby County
Start 2020/21 Sheffield Wed
22nd Jul 2020 Wigan Ath.
19th Dec 2019 Macclesfield
18th Jul 2019 Bury
Start 2019/20 Bolton W.
22nd Mar 2019 Birmingham C.
End of 2015/16 Bury
24th Apr 2015 Rotherham Utd
28th Apr 2014 Wimbledon
2nd Aug 2013 Coventry City
20th Apr 2013 Portsmouth
28th Mar 2013 Coventry City
9th Mar 2012 Port Vale
17th Feb 2012 Portsmouth
6th Apr 2011 Torquay Utd
6th Apr 2011 Hereford
22nd Feb 2011 Plymouth Arg.
6th May 2010 Hartlepool U.
17th Mar 2010 Portsmouth
28th Jan 2010 Crystal P.
Start 2009/10 Southampton
1st Jun 2009 Crystal P.
30th Apr 2009 Stockport Co
25th Feb 2009 Darlington
7th Aug 2008 Rotherham Utd
10th Jul 2008 Luton Town
8th Aug 2008 Bournemouth
21st Mar 2008 Rotherham Utd
8th Feb 2008 Bournemouth
23rd Nov 2007 Luton Town
3rd Aug 2007 Leeds United
18th May 2007 Boston Utd
4th May 2007 Leeds United
Start 2006/07 Rotherham Utd
25th May 2006 Bury
29th Apr 2005 Cambridge Utd
3rd Dec 2004 Wrexham
19th Jul 2002 Boston Utd
3rd May 2001 Chesterfield
17th Apr 1998 Leyton Orient
14th Jan 1997 Middlesbrough
9th Dec 1996 Brighton & HA
12th Nov 1990 Manchester U.
12th Nov 1990 Arsenal
13th Nov 1987 Halifax Town
8th Oct 1987 Tranmere Rov
17th Jan 1983 Blackpool
10th May 1982 Mansfield T.
12th Apr 1982 Bristol Rov
9th Sep 1974 Aldershot
28th Mar 1974 Newport Co.
21st Dec 1973 Preston NE
13th May 1968 Peterborough
26th Mar 1927 Stockport Co
19th Oct 1890 Sunderland

Chicken Balti Pie
24-08-2023, 01:59 PM

Mike Newell complaining about corruption, tapping up and the like, FA investigate and only team who gets caught is... Mike Newell's Luton, amazing that!

Davy500
25-08-2023, 09:36 AM
I've not made it clear that those figures are for how many separate punishments were issued each decade, not the grand total of accumulated points taken away.

16th Aug 2023 Reading
Start 2023/24 Wigan Ath.
4th Apr 2023 Reading
20th Mar 2023 Wigan Ath.
17th Nov 2021 Reading
22nd Jul 2020 Wigan Ath.
18th Jul 2019 Bury
Start 2019/20 Bolton W.
End of 2015/16 Bury
28th Apr 2014 Wimbledon
20th Apr 2013 Portsmouth
9th Mar 2012 Port Vale
17th Feb 2012 Portsmouth
6th Apr 2011 Torquay Utd
6th Apr 2011 Hereford
17th Mar 2010 Portsmouth
28th Jan 2010 Crystal P.
1st Jun 2009 Crystal P.
25th Feb 2009 Darlington
10th Jul 2008 Luton Town
8th Aug 2008 Bournemouth
8th Feb 2008 Bournemouth
23rd Nov 2007 Luton Town
18th May 2007 Boston Utd
25th May 2006 Bury
3rd Dec 2004 Wrexham
19th Jul 2002 Boston Utd
12th Nov 1990 Arsenal
17th Jan 1983 Blackpool
9th Sep 1974 Aldershot
21st Dec 1973 Preston NE
19th Oct 1890 Sunderland

The one that really p...d me off was when Leeds had points deducted in L1, allowing Forest to be promoted in 3rd place

Davy500
25-08-2023, 09:41 AM
And later us being relegated from L2, when macclesfield had not paid anybody for months, and never even started in L2 the following season, It was a disgrace how they were not deducted points or thrown out the season they pipped us, and sent us down, Not that it matters now, as we have recovered

countygump
25-08-2023, 10:11 AM
And later us being relegated from L2, when macclesfield had not paid anybody for months, and never even started in L2 the following season, It was a disgrace how they were not deducted points or thrown out the season they pipped us, and sent us down, Not that it matters now, as we have recovered

I said the same on another fred. Shame they didn't bring this rule in a few seasons earlier.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60419602

Davy500
25-08-2023, 10:41 AM
Not football news I wanted to wake up to.

Never been to Roots Hall, only driven past it but when I think of Sarfend I think of early to mid 90s and watch Ricky Otto and Co against a Derby or similar on Central TVs chosen Sunday game from the Championship whilst slowly doing homework.

Been a little talk of Southend being a potential threat (dark horses) to the clear favourites (5/2) Chesterfield following last season's efforts but I note this morning the Es*** sides odds have dramatically dropped these past couple of days from 16/1 to 33/1. Information only.

If you aren't run well, have a dodgy owner, are a mess off the field with serious problems ultimately you've got no chance of success on it. From a distance Maher seemed to do a great job last season in incredibly difficult circumstances but after a while they got too much and they fell away.

Wish them well obviously.

Well your answer did not surprise me Laddo
Always the same bad owners bad team which there is some justification to
But not in our case, you blame Hardy, yet Macclesfield were more of a basket case than us, starting at 7 points behind us, worse financial problems- when Campbell became their manager , and yet still finished above us, That was Ardley,s fault as a poor manager in L2

Davy500
25-08-2023, 10:56 AM

Well that life, when people or clubs or organisations are down - they are weaker targets to attack ,

Chicken Balti Pie
25-08-2023, 11:07 AM

Let's be fair here, we also wasn't paying wages!

Davy500
25-08-2023, 11:22 AM
Let's be fair here, we also wasn't paying wages!

That was later after the season ended, for the months of June and July which the new owners paid
At macclesfield it was far earlier in 2019,with players not being paid for 3 months during the actual season with 6 players putting in a winding up order against macclesfield, yet nothing was done

MAD_MAGPIE
25-08-2023, 12:24 PM

16th Aug 2023 Reading
Start 2023/24 Wigan Ath.
4th Apr 2023 Reading
20th Mar 2023 Wigan Ath.
17th Nov 2021 Reading
22nd Jul 2020 Wigan Ath.
18th Jul 2019 Bury
Start 2019/20 Bolton W.
End of 2015/16 Bury
28th Apr 2014 Wimbledon
20th Apr 2013 Portsmouth
9th Mar 2012 Port Vale
17th Feb 2012 Portsmouth
6th Apr 2011 Torquay Utd
6th Apr 2011 Hereford
17th Mar 2010 Portsmouth
28th Jan 2010 Crystal P.
1st Jun 2009 Crystal P.
25th Feb 2009 Darlington
10th Jul 2008 Luton Town
8th Aug 2008 Bournemouth
8th Feb 2008 Bournemouth
23rd Nov 2007 Luton Town
18th May 2007 Boston Utd
25th May 2006 Bury
3rd Dec 2004 Wrexham
19th Jul 2002 Boston Utd
12th Nov 1990 Arsenal
17th Jan 1983 Blackpool
9th Sep 1974 Aldershot
21st Dec 1973 Preston NE
19th Oct 1890 Sunderland

Wigan and Reading both stand outs in that they’ve both been deducted points three times each in recent years. Going further down the list clubs pop up a couple of times in a short period like Rotherham, Bury, Portsmouth.

Interestingly Torquay, Bury, Hereford, Chesterfield, Boston, Darlington, Hartlepool and Macclesfield have all paid the ultimate price as they are football league clubs no more. That’s eight clubs which is effectively over 10% of EFL clubs in the past fif**** years.

Points deductions has done nothing but add insult to injury to these clubs, and others who have dropped down the leagues. As I said earlier in the thread it’s not punishing those directly responsible and that’s where rules and regulations have to change. The focus should be on protecting the clubs, their staff, players and fans.

matt_magpie
25-08-2023, 01:37 PM
Well your answer did not surprise me Laddo
Always the same bad owners bad team which there is some justification to
But not in our case, you blame Hardy, yet Macclesfield were more of a basket case than us, starting at 7 points behind us, worse financial problems- when Campbell became their manager , and yet still finished above us, That was Ardley,s fault as a poor manager in L2

I think Laddos still banned Davy.

upthemaggies
25-08-2023, 02:59 PM
Incredible how Notts have managed to avoid being on that list, going through what we have over the past 20 odd years.
We would have been on it had the admin rule been brought in earlier.

Arsenal and Man United's points deductions in 1990 was over a mass brawl. Again, it's a wonder we didn't get one for "The battle of London Road" when Craig Short was in charge, described at the time as the most violent football match ever by one tabloid.

One team did once get points added rather than taken away - Scunny awarded 2 points on 25/Apr/1974 after Exeter failed to fulfil a fixture against them.

Deductions reinstated on appeal:
Notts County 04/Dec/1889-27/Dec/1889 deducted 1 point for fielding an ineligible player
Swansea City 25/Mar/1987-23/Apr/1987 deducted 3 pts for failing to fulfil an away fixture
Doncaster Rovers 22/Oct/1987-09/Dec/1987 deducted 2 pts for failing to fulfil an away fixture
Tottenham Hotspur 17/Oct/1988-30/Nov/1988 deducted 2 pts for the late postponement of their opening fixture
In June 1994 Tottenham were given a 12 points reduction to be imposed at the end of the 1994/95 season, reduced on appeal on 6th July 1994 - A six point reduction continued to hang over them until a further appeal quashed it altogether on 9th December 1994.

SwalePie
25-08-2023, 07:39 PM
Play is halted for four minutes as angry Southend United fans throw tennis balls onto the pitch...

https://twitter.com/CJPhillips1982/status/1695148695719641441?s=20 (https://twitter.com/CJPhillips1982/status/1695148695719641441?s=20)

Southend leading 2-0 at half time. Noor Husin with the opener.

Elite_Pie
25-08-2023, 09:14 PM
Play is halted for four minutes as angry Southend United fans throw tennis balls onto the pitch...

https://twitter.com/CJPhillips1982/status/1695148695719641441?s=20 (https://twitter.com/CJPhillips1982/status/1695148695719641441?s=20)

Southend leading 2-0 at half time. Noor Husin with the opener.

Southend win 2-0 and although they are still bottom on -1 points, after 5 games they have wiped out 9 of their 10 point deduction.

Without the points penalty they would be in 4th place.

bule1
04-10-2023, 01:13 PM
Looks like they have been saved

Link here (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66992758?at_link_origin=BBC_Sport&at_link_type=web_link&at_format=link&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_bbc_team=editorial&at_link_id=8A3CB602-6206-11EE-9F30-20B178A687CD&at_ptr_name=facebook_page&at_campaign_type=owned&at_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR2XD3MiXFs-vYsOTymdVRVeEJkEl9CFvhQ6uB0_eB-N09WSIcR5rqONgFY)

countygump
04-10-2023, 02:46 PM
Looks like they have been saved

Link here (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66992758?at_link_origin=BBC_Sport&at_link_type=web_link&at_format=link&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_bbc_team=editorial&at_link_id=8A3CB602-6206-11EE-9F30-20B178A687CD&at_ptr_name=facebook_page&at_campaign_type=owned&at_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR2XD3MiXFs-vYsOTymdVRVeEJkEl9CFvhQ6uB0_eB-N09WSIcR5rqONgFY)

Some decent news for Scunny as well, hopefully?

S****horpe United can confirm that a takeover has been completed for the club by local businesswoman Michelle Harness.

A current Director of the club, and former Commercial Manager of over 15 years at the Iron, Michelle has acquired the club from the outgoing David Hilton.

Following a busy few days of negotiations and putting plans in place, Michelle is delighted to be taking on the football club, saying: “I would like to thank everyone who assisted in the transaction, especially David Hilton.

“There are a lot of challenges and problems to overcome, but David has taken no fee for the club, and wiped all monies that he personally invested to enable this deal to happen. I wish him and his family all the best for the future, and I hope he finds some peace away from football.

“I’d also like to acknowledge the efforts of Simon Elliott, who has massively assisted in getting this deal over the line. There is now a lot of work to do behind the scenes to get our great football club back on track, and that work starts immediately with the fantastic team we have working for us, starting with the appointment of a new board.”

https://www.s****horpe-united.co.uk/news/2023/october/club-statement/

upthemaggies
04-10-2023, 03:59 PM
Some decent news for Scunny as well, hopefully?

S****horpe United can confirm that a takeover has been completed for the club by local businesswoman Michelle Harness.

Glad for these two clubs but there will probably be another in a similar position before long.
Reading? Sheffield Wednesday? Thread topics on the latter's forum last time I looked included "Financial Armageddon", "Companies house notice" and "So, if the tax bill goes unpaid."