PDA

View Full Version : Signing priority

toptoon
19-07-2023, 09:39 AM
With Gordon showing he can play down the middle, I think we’re OK for centre, front players (Wilson, Isak, Gordon). Centre mid is good and forward left too (Barnes/Maxi, Joel, Gordon, Joe).
So the 4 areas to consider in a 4-3-3 are:
a) forward right
b) cover for Tripps
c) cover for CB
d) left back

Considering the affect if we lose Tripps or a CB to injury, my priority would be: c, b, d, a.
(Ideally a CB who can play on the right too? I think this is what EH means when he says we have to be creative).

We’re being hugely hampered by FFP - even in what I see as the lowest priority position (Miggy and Murphy) we need a better option. We’re going to have to rely on Eddie’s magic again.

tinostongue
19-07-2023, 11:03 AM
With Gordon showing he can play down the middle, I think we’re OK for centre, front players (Wilson, Isak, Gordon). Centre mid is good and forward left too (Barnes/Maxi, Joel, Gordon, Joe).
So the 4 areas to consider in a 4-3-3 are:
a) forward right
b) cover for Tripps
c) cover for CB
d) left back

Considering the affect if we lose Tripps or a CB to injury, my priority would be: c, b, d, a.
(Ideally a CB who can play on the right too? I think this is what EH means when he says we have to be creative).

We’re being hugely hampered by FFP - even in what I see as the lowest priority position (Miggy and Murphy) we need a better option. We’re going to have to rely on Eddie’s magic again.

If we sell Maxi and get about€40 million, add another €40 million and get Diaby, we supposedly have been chasing him for …….. would be an upgrade on maxi, Miggy and Murphy,for net cost of €40 m

Nufcian
19-07-2023, 11:31 AM
Assuming Maxi goes and Barnes comes in… I think the main priority is FWD right, then right footed centrehalf, then a left back.

Diaby would be my preference FWD right

Disasi is the current talk of coming in at centrehalf

Not sure who to come in at leftback, but of all three positions I think it’s the least pressing

Sclox
19-07-2023, 12:04 PM
I've never been comfortable with the fwd position. When Wilson misses a few games we are left with Isak who will be a great player, don't get me wrong showing glimpses of what he can do last season, but he is a young lad still developing physically and learning the game. We need another forward. If Gordon starts scoring regularly then he is the answer but thats a big if.

Sclox
19-07-2023, 12:07 PM
A Tripps injury would be huge by the way. Although we've made good progress, I worry if we don't get in at least another 2 players. I think Tops a,b,c,d order is spot on.

Sclox
19-07-2023, 12:08 PM
I think if Schar or Botman go down we have BDB to step in.

GBruno
19-07-2023, 02:05 PM
Agreed. Wilson can’t be relied on.

Hard to find a decent striker who will be happy to be 3rd in the pecking order.

Zippity
19-07-2023, 10:26 PM
I would say a right sided attacker, followed by a LB then cover at CB followed by cover for Tripps.

If we get a LB then Burn becomes both LB and CB cover. Ashby played against Rangers so Howe looks to be putting some faith in him.

Neither Miggy nor Murphy are consistently good enough and we need someone with something a bit different for those games that are tight or where the opposition have set up for a point.

tinostongue
20-07-2023, 12:37 PM
A Tripps injury would be huge by the way. Although we've made good progress, I worry if we don't get in at least another 2 players. I think Tops a,b,c,d order is spot on.

So if the worst happens and Tripps gets crocked, is Ashby not his understudy? Does Eddy not trust him yet? If he doesn’t then we need to sign an experienced, but young right back who is happy to bide his time. Personally I would like to see what Ashby can do, he was highly thought of at West Ham.

Sclox
20-07-2023, 01:19 PM
So if the worst happens and Tripps gets crocked, is Ashby not his understudy? Does Eddy not trust him yet? If he doesn’t then we need to sign an experienced, but young right back who is happy to bide his time. Personally I would like to see what Ashby can do, he was highly thought of at West Ham.

Good point. I guess I need to see more of Ashby to build my confidence in what he can do and how does that happpwn without minutes? Players go down a black hole when they go out on loan so maybe the answer is to keep him and save Tripps legs in certain games and sub early and often. Otherwise whats the point in buying young talent.

toptoon
20-07-2023, 10:53 PM
Eddie’s seen all this coming and that’s why he’s favored versatile players who can play well in different positions.
As time goes on and the cheating big six lose their ridiculous advantage over us, we’ll not need to limit ourselves to such players.

Ragatino
21-07-2023, 01:44 AM
We've already closed the gap on half the fraud 6 dude. We finished 4.

By the end of the window we'll have a few other top quality additions in. Not sure who or in which position but I'm sure EH will have what he needs.

toonozandy
21-07-2023, 07:22 AM
We've already closed the gap on half the fraud 6 dude. We finished 4.

By the end of the window we'll have a few other top quality additions in. Not sure who or in which position but I'm sure EH will have what he needs.

I must say, after I read your posts Ragatino, I am filled with lots more confidence than the SHYTE I read everyday on the transfer news sites !!!!

Nufcian
21-07-2023, 07:41 AM
Good point. I guess I need to see more of Ashby to build my confidence in what he can do and how does that happpwn without minutes? Players go down a black hole when they go out on loan so maybe the answer is to keep him and save Tripps legs in certain games and sub early and often. Otherwise whats the point in buying young talent.

Domestic cups at the least… we aren’t going to have a squad that will compete on 4 fronts.

The only way to get a squad that can is by plying the CL and getting the money and attracting the players that attracts.

As fans we might have to accept that for the immediate future, next couple of seasons, that we have to prioritise the Prem and European competition before Domestic cups… so we can grow financially and all these FFP comments/restrictions aren’t as bad as they are now… which has the silver lining of allowing us to give young squad players like Ashby, Miley, Anderson, actual competitive games from the start.

Jammy89
21-07-2023, 09:45 AM
Agreed Ian.

I think Howe will do the same and we'll see younger players in domestic cups.

I could see us priortising CC over FA Cup as well, simply because most clubs will prioritise FA Cup so we might have a better silverware chance in CC.

toptoon
21-07-2023, 09:54 AM
I agree too. It’s almost inevitable. Well done to FFP for helping to degrade the domestic cups even more.

Zippity
21-07-2023, 09:03 PM
I must say, after I read your posts Ragatino, I am filled with lots more confidence than the SHYTE I read everyday on the transfer news sites !!!!

I'd give up on reading them, Andy.

95% pure speculation and clickbait.

toonozandy
21-07-2023, 10:18 PM
I'd give up on reading them, Andy.

95% pure speculation and clickbait.

You are definately right on that, Zipps my friend.