PDA

View Full Version : Have We Lost Our Title

Glad2BeAPie
30-07-2023, 10:32 PM
I noticed we haven't got the sign back up on the J.S stand. " Worlds oldest professional football league club" aparantly we lost it when we were relegated. There is a sign on the end of the Pavis stand " World's Oldest Professional Football club". So perhaps we have lost the title

tied_up_in_notts
30-07-2023, 10:56 PM
Of course we haven't 'lost" the title, it's just that most people have decided that the"world's oldest professional club" sounds better and makes more sense (and the original sign didn't have the word "professional" in it btw).

Crystal Palace have tried recently to claim they are the oldest but everyone knows that's just bullsh*t

Chicken Balti Pie
31-07-2023, 08:14 AM
We are currently the oldest and newest football League club for this season!

But we haven't lost the title, it just never made any sense of being the "world's oldest football League club" bearing in mind only clubs from England and a couple from Wales can join. Much better to be the world's oldest professional football club, makes way more sense as well.

As for the crystal palace claims, even their own fans are embarrassed and the FA have told them to do one, we have also apparently submitted a trademark application for "World's oldest Professional football club"

caj85
31-07-2023, 08:50 AM
As for the crystal palace claims, even their own fans are embarrassed and the FA have told them to do one, we have also apparently submitted a trademark application for "World's oldest Professional football club"

If we have technically lost it due to not being successive seasons in the football league then Crystal Palace or even Florest (as they like to claim they are the oldest league club now) can't either as they weren't part of the first 12 teams that started the very first league campaign.

It would surely go to one of the 9 below having to omit us, Accrington and stoke I believe due to going out of the league or changing clubs for the ordinal 12.

Preston North End
Aston Villa
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Blackburn Rovers
Bolton Wanderers
West Bromwich Albion
Accrington
Everton
Burnley
Derby County
Notts County
Stoke

caj85
31-07-2023, 08:51 AM
Of course we haven't 'lost" the title, it's just that most people have decided that the"world's oldest professional club" sounds better and makes more sense (and the original sign didn't have the word "professional" in it btw).

Having said that, if Sheffield FC become professional but not part of the league, would we revert back to "Worlds oldest league club"?

upthemaggies
31-07-2023, 09:11 AM
If we have technically lost it due to not being successive seasons in the football league then Crystal Palace or even Florest (as they like to claim they are the oldest league club now) can't either as they weren't part of the first 12 teams that started the very first league campaign.

It would surely go to one of the 9 below having to omit us, Accrington and stoke I believe due to going out of the league or changing clubs for the ordinal 12.

Preston North End
Aston Villa
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Blackburn Rovers
Bolton Wanderers
West Bromwich Albion
Accrington
Everton
Burnley
Derby County
Notts County
Stoke

If being relegated into the NL no longer counts as no longer being a FL club, how are PL clubs considered FL still?
Preston are the only team that have never left the FL.

caj85
31-07-2023, 09:15 AM
If being relegated into the NL no longer counts as no longer being a FL club, how are PL clubs considered FL still?
Preston are the only team that have never left the FL.

Good point!

The_Don_ORiordan
31-07-2023, 09:41 AM
The palace claim is a joke.

There was nearly 30 years between one folding and the other starting.

OP67
31-07-2023, 10:15 AM
We're still the oldest football league club as we were formed in 1862. You can't loose that status regardless of dropping out the league and returning back to it. We're not the newest football league club either as that would be a plain stupid claim XD

Think I prefer the worlds oldest professional football club anyway.

ncfcog
31-07-2023, 10:52 AM
Were we 'professional' when we were formed or did that not happen until we became a founder member of the FL? Have Sheffield FC ever been 'professional'? If they did become 'professional' wouldn't we still be the oldest 'professional' football club due to being 'professional' before anyone else? It's all starting to get a bit complicated!

DomdomPie
31-07-2023, 11:28 AM
Sheffield FC currently have plans to build a 4,000 seat stadium - which surely shows some ambition - although so much of the literature around it is more about making it a tourist attraction as the "home of football" with a heritage centre museum. If it brings in money though, there's no reason they couldn't eventually become a professional team - at which point we'll have to think of some other very specific way that we can claim to be the oldest something or other!

SwalePie
31-07-2023, 01:12 PM

Preston North End
Aston Villa
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Blackburn Rovers
Bolton Wanderers
West Bromwich Albion
Accrington
Everton
Burnley
Derby County
Notts County
Stoke

We can discount Accrington. They were a different club from Accrington Stanley and folded quite soon after the Football League started.

Also, as a side note, as far as I know last season was the first time ever that the Football League had contained neither Notts or Forest.

Mark_Ross
31-07-2023, 01:15 PM
Were we 'professional' when we were formed or did that not happen until we became a founder member of the FL? Have Sheffield FC ever been 'professional'? If they did become 'professional' wouldn't we still be the oldest 'professional' football club due to being 'professional' before anyone else? It's all starting to get a bit complicated!

Doubt very much that Notts were "professional" in 1862, though it depends on how you define it.
In which case surely (the claim to be oldest) comes down to which very old club (founder league member) turned professional first?

Anyway I prefer Oldest League Club. We know what it means! My club pennant:
NOTTS COUNTY
<badge>
THE OLDEST
LEAGUE CLUB
IN THE WORLD

caj85
31-07-2023, 01:26 PM
Doubt very much that Notts were "professional" in 1862, though it depends on how you define it.
In which case surely (the claim to be oldest) comes down to which very old club (founder league member) turned professional first?

Anyway I prefer Oldest League Club. We know what it means! My club pennant:
NOTTS COUNTY
<badge>
THE OLDEST
LEAGUE CLUB
IN THE WORLD

My understanding is that the league was created to accommodate professional football clubs and give them a guaranteed amount of fixtures.

SwalePie
31-07-2023, 01:27 PM
World's Oldest Professional Football Club is a much, much better title and actually makes sense. In addition it is a very special and unique marketing message. It tells people that we're the OG, The Grandaddy of Them All, the Original and Best, Numero Uno etc.

'World's Oldest Football League Club' is basically meaningless although, despite having said that, I am of course very proud that we have it back :)