PDA

View Full Version : Arbroath (A) 04/08

JamesMcClean
01-08-2023, 08:57 AM
Can’t quite believe I’m writing about another season in this god forsaken league which let’s face it we’re back in again, like before, due to 100% purely self inflicted reasons. Given the size of the Club,I’m not claiming we should be top six every season, but by the same barometer nor should we ever be getting relegated either. However, what happened last season happened and we need to get over it and quickly. The fall out from the Tim Two sales festered for too long and in no small way contributed to our prolonged stay doon last time round with a complete breakdown of trust and faith between the Club and the support. We simply can’t afford that this time round - we HAVE to get up in a one-er to limit the damage of last season to the absolute minimum.

As per, our support will be there off the pitch as usual with a sell out in hand, so we need a reciprocal response from those on the pitch. Something that happened far too infrequently last season. What happened last year is gone and there is nothing that can be done about it now so let’s just get on with it, put in the effort, work hard and get the wins required so come May we can pretend none of this ever actually happened.>;)

Off on Friday, so several jars in the Ferry, train, Gayfield, three points and home. Please don’t let me down United.

P2BAA

weegiearab
01-08-2023, 09:13 AM
I think that last season, one of our biggest enemies was the lack of confidence, caused by some diabolical individual errors. I think that this season, we need to get our confidence back and regain a bit of a swagger. I still think we are missing something in midfield and might struggle to create chances. We need to get off to a bright start and lay down a marker for the season.A 3-0 win would get us off on the right foot...anything less and we will remain mentally fragile. This needs to be a one season jolly and the owner needs to be ready to bolster our squad on January if need be!

TerryTheTerror
01-08-2023, 09:43 AM
I would be very happy if we win every match one nil. Quite boring maybe but we just need to get the job done. 🙂

ianharab
01-08-2023, 10:12 AM
Campbell will have them organised and fired up , would happily take a 1-0 nil win to get us up and running

the_arab
01-08-2023, 11:34 AM
Until i see us winning a game that means something i will assume the worst.

2-1 Arbroath prediction

Stoke_Arab
01-08-2023, 12:15 PM
Our pre season games last year told us we were nowhere near ready and that turned out to be the case.
I feel different about this season based on the fact that we've added some steel and quality in the right areas. We look better organised and we're playing football instead of hoofball to an isolated striker.
Arbroath will be a sterner test than Carlisle offered but I think we have enough to edge it and start the campaign with a victory.

weegiearab
01-08-2023, 01:03 PM
I agree that Dick Campbell will have his team organised and up for a fight....but by christ, after last season.....our boys better be more fired up and organised!

PT_Arab
01-08-2023, 01:53 PM
Yes, a 3-0 win would be fantastic, but I'll be happy with any win, especially if we keep a clean sheet.

That thing you do
01-08-2023, 02:08 PM
Ill take a 1-0 off Moults arse in the 94th Minute if I have too, but we really need to be winning this.

Confidence should be a bit higher after Falkirk and Carlisle, especially the latter as Carlisle should have been a stern test and we strolled it. Like it or not, a win against teams from down south is always a morale booster.

Expect 2-0 United. Will take 3 points with any scoreline in reality!

shedka
01-08-2023, 02:43 PM
Tough opening game, they will be well up for it and full of fight and intensity, they got the confidence boosting win at the weekend in a Derby with Montrose

I still fancy us to edge it and if we do then it's positive, however I won't be writing its off either, if we can keep a cleansheet too that would be a statement

footballfan123
01-08-2023, 03:07 PM
Sold out now

Yeats 62
01-08-2023, 06:38 PM
Sold out now

Who has? The club or the venue?

Stoke_Arab
01-08-2023, 06:48 PM
Who has? The club or the venue?

Our allocation ❤

Stoke_Arab
01-08-2023, 06:52 PM
Our allocation ❤

Yeats 62
01-08-2023, 06:55 PM
Our allocation ❤

I'm Kiddin' . Knew it would sell out, it's the club I fear for, something still "no quite right"

bannon_ftd_83
02-08-2023, 09:34 AM
Tough opening game, they will be well up for it and full of fight and intensity, they got the confidence boosting win at the weekend in a Derby with Montrose

I still fancy us to edge it and if we do then it's positive, however I won't be writing its off either, if we can keep a cleansheet too that would be a statement

Some of their results have been honking. Confidence-boosting win or not we should be beating them. No excuses.

shedka
02-08-2023, 09:40 AM
That's a simplistic way to look at it, our early results were rubbish too, they have by all accounts strengthened and just needing to find the right line up, the last result will have lifted them and they'll be confident coming into this, gonna be a tough one, tougher than Carlisle but one we can win if we defend right

Arabdownsouth
02-08-2023, 11:50 AM
That's a simplistic way to look at it, our early results were rubbish too, they have by all accounts strengthened and just needing to find the right line up, the last result will have lifted them and they'll be confident coming into this, gonna be a tough one, tougher than Carlisle but one we can win if we defend right

Damn right it's simplistic, we should be beating f*cking Arbroath. Cue the clown emojjis :zzz:

Whitfieldarab
02-08-2023, 12:24 PM

I spoke with one of the Arbroath staff last week and he says that they have signed a few players from the lower leagues and a back up goalkeeper from the juniors who may not even be fit for Friday as he has an injured hand/wrist so I don't think they've strengthened. It looks more like they have brought in players to replace the loanees from their make or break January transfer window so imo they should be weaker than they were when they went on a good run from January to stay up and it will be tough but we should still be looking to win with a bit to spare.

TerryTheTerror
02-08-2023, 01:35 PM
Of course we should always be looking to beat Arbroath but football isn't always like that is it? Barcelona should never get beat by the likes of us but it's happened many times...

That thing you do
02-08-2023, 03:43 PM
I disagree on the Barcelona part. United were rated top 5 in europe above even them so we shouldve expected a win.

More like AZ Alkmaar at Tannadice

TerryTheTerror
02-08-2023, 03:53 PM
I disagree on the Barcelona part. United were rated top 5 in europe above even them so we shouldve expected a win.

More like AZ Alkmaar at Tannadice

That's fair. WTF am I on about posting about Barcelona on an Arbroath thread anyway. 😂

Chick A Saw
02-08-2023, 04:30 PM
Of course we should always be looking to beat Arbroath but football isn't always like that is it? Barcelona should never get beat by the likes of us but it's happened many times...

After last season and the ghosts of previous failures, i am not taking anything for granted!

Whoever has been lucky enough, i hope you enjoy yir friday night on the coast, but spare a thought for those watching on the telly!

footballfan123
02-08-2023, 04:57 PM
1 spare seat in united section.
£23.
PM or leave contact details.

Stoke_Arab
02-08-2023, 05:42 PM
Great to get the league season under way and some proper arguments on here 😁

C'mon United 🧡 🍺

TerryTheTerror
02-08-2023, 05:46 PM
1 spare seat in united section.
£23.
PM or leave contact details.

Seat? Have the updated the ground? 🙂

tHeArAb
02-08-2023, 06:44 PM
Seat? Have the updated the ground? 🙂

Maybe he's offering up a seat on a mobility scooter, like your guy last time you were there. 🍻🥴😂

TerryTheTerror
02-08-2023, 07:29 PM
Maybe he's offering up a seat on a mobility scooter, like your guy last time you were there. 🍻🥴😂

Ha ha, that was a belter right enough. 😂

shedka
02-08-2023, 07:59 PM
I spoke with one of the Arbroath staff last week and he says that they have signed a few players from the lower leagues and a back up goalkeeper from the juniors who may not even be fit for Friday as he has an injured hand/wrist so I don't think they've strengthened. It looks more like they have brought in players to replace the loanees from their make or break January transfer window so imo they should be weaker than they were when they went on a good run from January to stay up and it will be tough but we should still be looking to win with a bit to spare.

I did say I fancy us to edge it in my first post but it'll be tough, I've not doubt it will be, we need to be tight defensively, tough, match their energy and fight then take the chances that will come

Season opener with us visiting will give them even more desire, but hopefully the fact everyone but those connected to Utd want us to get beat on TV will be incentive for us

Handsup
02-08-2023, 08:43 PM
That's fair. WTF am I on about posting about Barcelona on an Arbroath thread anyway. 😂

Cos we Arabs never miss the chance to mention Barcelona! Nor should we...😉

arab777
02-08-2023, 08:58 PM
Dont know if anyone else remembers a cup game we played at Gayfield a good number of years ago. I think we were 2 up at half time and strolling then the wind picked up big time during the 2nd half and even by Gayfield's standards it was fierce. I remember Craig Brewster taking a shot on goal and it actually blew in the other direction. United grimly held on for a 3-2 win as the last 20 minutes the ball was constantly being blown in one direction to our goal.

duke_the_arab
02-08-2023, 09:36 PM
Dont know if anyone else remembers a cup game we played at Gayfield a good number of years ago. I think we were 2 up at half time and strolling then the wind picked up big time during the 2nd half and even by Gayfield's standards it was fierce. I remember Craig Brewster taking a shot on goal and it actually blew in the other direction. United grimly held on for a 3-2 win as the last 20 minutes the ball was constantly being blown in one direction to our goal.

Mind that game, also mind being there when we beat them 7-0 in the Cup late 80's, that'll do me.🤣

shedka
02-08-2023, 09:58 PM
I'll take the 3-2 of it means we go into win the league, that 3-2 was the beginning of the road to the 94 Scottish Cup 😎

japanarab
03-08-2023, 12:07 AM
I'll take the 3-2 of it means we go into win the league, that 3-2 was the beginning of the road to the 94 Scottish Cup 😎
Yep. Still had the ticket stub. Hated playing at Arbroath as a kid. Was always freezing and always got tanked as their team was excellent at the time with Jamie Tosh in midfield.

Tomb
03-08-2023, 08:07 AM
My memory of that game in 94 at Gayfield was Van Da kamp taking a goal kick which blew back in the wind for a corner to them. My kids even got Jerron Nixon's autograph as he had just signed with us.

moicher
03-08-2023, 10:23 AM
Mind that game, also mind being there when we beat them 7-0 in the Cup late 80's, that'll do me.🤣

I was at that one!

OmaniArab
03-08-2023, 01:25 PM
I thought Brewster scored from our half-way line or did imagine that one?

JUSTaway
03-08-2023, 07:16 PM
Shame that goal wasn't captured on camera, it was an absolute wind assisted rocket.

JamesMcClean
04-08-2023, 06:53 AM
FYI, in their infinite wisdom Scotrail have cancelled the 2208 and 2238 services back from Arbroath tonight. Farcical.

utd4me
04-08-2023, 08:44 AM
I think it's one scotrail and one cross country. Fekin annoying though.

Stoke_Arab
04-08-2023, 06:39 PM
No Fotheringham, Cudjoe starts, we should be winning this

C'mon United 🧡

BurghArab2023
04-08-2023, 07:00 PM
Great counter! C'mon United.

Stoke_Arab
04-08-2023, 07:00 PM
The M&M's 0-1 🧡

Chick A Saw
04-08-2023, 07:14 PM
Very well taken goal after a very good move!

Stoke_Arab
04-08-2023, 07:18 PM
That should give young Cudjoe a massive confidence boost 🧡

no1arabbelfast
04-08-2023, 07:24 PM
United are back!

Yeats 62
04-08-2023, 07:26 PM
Moult .... 3 assists .... jist sayin'

BurghArab2023
04-08-2023, 07:26 PM
Yes, yes, yes! I know they were relegation contenders but we have looked fairly good this evening.

Stoke_Arab
04-08-2023, 07:32 PM
We look well balanced, joined up, playing it mainly on the deck with fluidity, all the things that were missing last season

Stoke_Arab
04-08-2023, 07:35 PM
This time it's Cudjoe and Moult
Wow..

the_arab
04-08-2023, 07:35 PM
Some half, wow

sultan_of_arabia
04-08-2023, 07:37 PM
Well. Suppose I can't moan about that! Might even pour myself a celebratory dram.

bannon_ftd_83
04-08-2023, 07:48 PM
The ebergy, the intent, the hassling. Great on the ball, great movement, great finishing and our keeper saved a shot. This is fantastic. Happy for Goodwin.

Chick A Saw
04-08-2023, 07:49 PM
Yes, yes, yes! I know they were relegation contenders but we have looked fairly good this evening.

Some thought we were relegation contenders, but that was before Gallacher and Moult.

On the edge of getting ahead of myself tonight, so just keep up the same effort United!

cybershed
04-08-2023, 08:07 PM
Good sub. Watt looked knackered.

BurghArab2023
04-08-2023, 08:13 PM
Who is this Mcmann guy at left back and where did we get him from? Middleton AFF now please, yet again blowin oot of his erse after 60mins

tHeArAb
04-08-2023, 08:21 PM
Some thought we were relegation contenders, but that was before Gallacher and Moult.

We were, with half a team. Some folk just need a bit of patience during the summer. 😂

Stoke_Arab
04-08-2023, 08:21 PM
Gallagher and Holt just quietly doing the business

cybershed
04-08-2023, 08:38 PM
Solid performance there.

What can I say? Well done manager and team.

weegiearab
04-08-2023, 08:40 PM
That's what I hoped for. A statement of intent and hopefully a confidence booster for the players. Still one game at a time but that is one way of getting the fans back onside. Well done to the players and management......and a special mention to another fantastic away support. It's about time that the fans had something to cheer about!

arab777
04-08-2023, 08:43 PM
High tempo
Good passing
Running off the ball
Clinical finishing
Clean sheet

Hey and the strip looked fantastic B)

Yeats 62
04-08-2023, 09:03 PM
High tempo
Good passing
Running off the ball
Clinical finishing
Clean sheet

Hey and the strip looked fantastic B)

Agree
Agree
Agree
Agree
Agree

Apert fae the collar :D

Arabdownsouth
04-08-2023, 09:04 PM
We were, with half a team. Some folk just need a bit of patience during the summer. 😂

After last season mate, patience is in short supply.

arab777
04-08-2023, 09:09 PM
Member of Arbroath backroom seeing double :D

https://twitter.com/i/status/1687544933681451008

Arabdownsouth
04-08-2023, 09:10 PM
Excellent performance all round. Great to see Cudjoe get his first goal. A real man of the match performance from Moult, last time a United player had 3 assists was Gauld if I remember correctly. Glad he got his goal to go with it. We could have had 8 tbh so a little disappointed we couldn't add any second half goals, although the raft of substitutions meant we went off the boil. Still think we need more additions and think we will probably bring a couple in once we offload the rest of the unwanted shyte. Was worth booking the night off work for though and a great start to the season. We keep our key players fit and we win this division first time of asking in my opinion.

Yeats 62
04-08-2023, 09:13 PM

Careful now, he might just be bi-focal B)

cybershed
04-08-2023, 09:13 PM
...and a special mention to another fantastic away support. It's about time that the fans had something to cheer about!

Absolutely. The fans have been the one solid positive factor through one hell of a bleak decade.

The support needed and deserved that performance tonight. It's magic.

But we want and need to see this level of commitment, organisation and teamwork every week.

Yes, there will be challenges. I wouldn't want to see Walton, Gallacher or Moult out for ANY length of time through injury for example.

Great start to the campaign.

Stoke_Arab
04-08-2023, 09:15 PM
We will face tougher away days but as the saying goes you can only beat what's in front of you.

A devastating performance, done and dusted within 45 minutes.

Especially encouraging was the new spine from Walton in goal,
Gallagher/Holt, Docherty/Sibbald
and Moult/Watt and Cudjoe.

Credit Jim Goodwin and all 11 starting tonight 🧡

tHeArAb
04-08-2023, 09:24 PM

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

tHeArAb
04-08-2023, 09:29 PM
Moult and Docherty were both outstanding. Dochertys range of passing was so good. Moult is the ideal lone striker. Not a poor performance throughout the team however. Great to see Cudjoe get his first goal. Not many experienced boys would have the composure to finish like that. 👏🏼

arab777
04-08-2023, 09:36 PM
Careful now, he might just be bi-focal B)

Technology has advanced since the 1970's. You can get all in one now. But maybe not in Arbroath XD

Yeats 62
04-08-2023, 09:48 PM
Technology has advanced since the 1970's. You can get all in one now. But maybe not in Arbroath XD

Isn't that what it is meant to do? :)

Don't tell me its they varifocal things, they are ****e ... B)

Arabdownsouth
04-08-2023, 09:59 PM
We still need some additions, as we are definitely light on the bench. I don't think the academy players can be relied upon if we have a few injuries so we definitely need a decent back up striker and winger at least.

cybershed
04-08-2023, 10:00 PM
Moult and Docherty were both outstanding. Dochertys range of passing was so good. Moult is the ideal lone striker. Not a poor performance throughout the team however. Great to see Cudjoe get his first goal. Not many experienced boys would have the composure to finish like that. 👏🏼

I agree. I noticed that Cudjoe found himself out of position on occasion. But he's worth persevering with as he has some good attributes. I'm delighted he got a goal at long last. Let's hope he learns to make a habit of it now.

It was a good finish to beat that 'keeper who had pulled off a few good saves early on.

Chick A Saw
04-08-2023, 10:01 PM
BBC gave Moult MotM, but i think Sibbald, and shock horror, McMann could feel very hard done by.

Thank feck we have a keeper, a midfielder who went about his work so quietly he was largely anonymous, and an attack that seems to have gelled quite well already. Thing is though, Moult gave an air of fragility about his injuries when interviewed, then the Gaffer came in and mentioned there were still some fitness concerns to be addressed. If those concerns are connected to Middleton and Watt, then as long as they contribute to the game as they did tonight, then i could take that if they provide a base as they did. However, there are games ahead where they may need to get to 75 mins as im not yet sure that there are substitutes good enough to hold a lead in a tighter game.

Great win, even some entertainment and apparent there is more to come when fitness levels improve!

It is only one win, and while i see a few draws on tomorrows card, we need to be better next week v the Pars.

Dreamsof83
04-08-2023, 10:03 PM
Strong, composed, dynamic and exciting. Could certainly watch that every week. What an environment to give young players opportunities too. Strength and structure with some expressive play around it.

Not kidding myself that it will always be this way, but lots of encouragement and many reasons to be cheerful.

We don't know how good Arbroath are, as we gave them no chance to play, but that is still a statement result

Yeats 62
04-08-2023, 10:15 PM
BBC gave Moult MotM, but i think Sibbald, and shock horror, McMann could feel very hard done by.

Thank feck we have a keeper, a midfielder who went about his work so quietly he was largely anonymous, and an attack that seems to have gelled quite well already. Thing is though, Moult gave an air of fragility about his injuries when interviewed, then the Gaffer came in and mentioned there were still some fitness concerns to be addressed. If those concerns are connected to Middleton and Watt, then as long as they contribute to the game as they did tonight, then i could take that if they provide a base as they did. However, there are games ahead where they may need to get to 75 mins as im not yet sure that there are substitutes good enough to hold a lead in a tighter game.

Great win, even some entertainment and apparent there is more to come when fitness levels improve!

It is only one win, and while i see a few draws on tomorrows card, we need to be better next week v the Pars.

Three assists and a goal, and overall link up play really good. Nah, for once the Beeb got this one correct. :)

Stoke_Arab
04-08-2023, 10:30 PM
Three assists and a goal, and overall link up play really good. Nah, for once the Beeb got this one correct. :)

Thought Moult spoke really well post match. Full of praise for the way the club have handled him.

GUNBOAT
05-08-2023, 05:58 AM
This game was selected for TV to get the new season under way with a giant killing at Gayfield.For a change one of this country's most loyal set of football fans were treated to a display they deserved and by halftime the EBC viewing figures had plummeted through the floor,FACT with a WASC.

Its been a long time since i ended my main paragraph in that fashion.

arab777
05-08-2023, 06:01 AM
Thought Moult spoke really well post match. Full of praise for the way the club have handled him.

5 words music to our ears.

"I've got my hunger back"

Arabdownsouth
05-08-2023, 06:41 AM
5 words music to our ears.

"I've got my hunger back"

If he stays fully fit he will be our Shankland mk2

arab777
05-08-2023, 07:21 AM
Also had a good start on betting. I was confident about last night. Thank you United

https://i.postimg.cc/6396vtpr/Screenshot-2023-08-05-081913.jpg

shedka
05-08-2023, 08:55 AM
That's was really good from Utd last night even if Arbroath looked poor

Not getting carried away though, much tougher tests to come and the fact bbc has us as league winners all night well get up others noses who will want to derail us and get out up them

Need the same intensity every game and be better as we were slack at times but would be critical to focus on that, but won't get away with it in other games

Well done JG and the players, very impressive on the night

1 doon 35 to go

Arabknight
05-08-2023, 09:13 AM
That’s the best I’ve seen united play in a long long time. Thought the whole team were excellent. High press, intensity and desire to win 2nd balls was all there.

MOTM for me was between moult and mcmann but Docharty and sibbald were excellent too.

The defence looked pretty solid and the keeper looks very good. What a difference that makes.

Great to see cudjo getting his first goal which he took really well, and an assist. Still a bit of work to be done there but there is definite signs of improvement with some good link up play.

Consistency will be the key but well done United and well done JG. Long way to go but what a way to start this campaign. 🖤🧡

TerryTheTerror
05-08-2023, 09:26 AM
Great performance and great result but it was Arbroath who were terrible.

arab777
05-08-2023, 09:51 AM
Great performance and great result but it was Arbroath who were terrible.

We've played a lot of teams over the last few years who have played terribly and we haven't capitalised with high tempo, passing attacking attractive football. Other United teams might have ground out a result. JG said he wants us to play a high tempo, passing game. This is the blueprint that has been missing from United teams for years. Of course we will have bigger challenges ahead but the approach that JG is wanting to instil is more likely to produce results than the drab stuff we have been served up for a long time.

Arabdownsouth
05-08-2023, 09:59 AM
We've played a lot of teams over the last few years who have played terribly and we haven't capitalised with high tempo, passing attacking attractive football. Other United teams might have ground out a result. JG said he wants us to play a high tempo, passing game. This is the blueprint that has been missing from United teams for years. Of course we will have bigger challenges ahead but the approach that JG is wanting to instil is more likely to produce results than the drab stuff we have been served up for a long time.

As well as that, we have a solid spine through the team which has been absent for some time too. An actual goalscoring forward who is definitely more than just a poacher too. And a goalkeeper that actually looks and plays like a goalkeeper (and isn't f*cking Australian!) My only fear is we need more depth as the subs took all of our impetus away and look lightweight and not ready. Maybe it was just the fact they were all thrown on together though, time will tell I suppose.

tHeArAb
05-08-2023, 10:16 AM
As well as that, we have a solid spine through the team which has been absent for some time too. An actual goalscoring forward who is definitely more than just a poacher too. And a goalkeeper that actually looks and plays like a goalkeeper (and isn't f*cking Australian!) My only fear is we need more depth as the subs took all of our impetus away and look lightweight and not ready. Maybe it was just the fact they were all thrown on together though, time will tell I suppose.
Our subs are pish. The kids are either not good enough or not ready. Saying that, I don't think Meekison, Thompson or Glass get on the pitch last night if Mochrie, Niskanen and Fotheringham are fit. Fotheringham would've probably started tbh. Last night was made for him with the amount of space Arbroath were giving us.

Arabdownsouth
05-08-2023, 10:27 AM
Our subs are pish. The kids are either not good enough or not ready. Saying that, I don't think Meekison, Thompson or Glass get on the pitch last night if Mochrie, Niskanen and Fotheringham are fit. Fotheringham would've probably started tbh. Last night was made for him with the amount of space Arbroath were giving us.

Hopefully all 3 back soon then, would still like a bit more experience on the bench though. Starting 11 picks itself at the moment though, although for once I'll agree with shedka in that we were quite slack in possession at times and may get punished for that against better teams.

TerryTheTerror
05-08-2023, 10:38 AM
Hopefully all 3 back soon then, would still like a bit more experience on the bench though. Starting 11 picks itself at the moment though, although for once I'll agree with shedka in that we were quite slack in possession at times and may get punished for that against better teams.

Yeah, you've landed on the point I was making, it was Arbroath who were terrible and we'll get much tougher matches in the weeks ahead.

Arabdownsouth
05-08-2023, 10:48 AM
Yeah, you've landed on the point I was making, it was Arbroath who were terrible and we'll get much tougher matches in the weeks ahead.

I'll still take that result and performance though, no matter who we were playing. After last season, it was like watching f*cking Barcelona :P

Stoke_Arab
05-08-2023, 11:15 AM
Re comments about how poor Arbroath were....yes they were, but as I said last night you can only beat what's in front of you.

I don't see anyone getting carried away with the result, just happy to see a sharp devastating performance from us, something we've not seen for a long time.

And....I think we would have beaten a good Arbroath side anyway.

The set up, intensity on and off the ball, possession, rhythm, creativity, on the deck, was night and day from what we've had to suffer. JG has to take a lot of credit for this. Hopefully more to come.

tHeArAb
05-08-2023, 11:20 AM
Re comments about how poor Arbroath were....yes they were, but as I said last night you can only beat what's in front of you.

I don't see anyone getting carried away with the result, just happy to see a sharp devastating performance from us, something we've not seen for a long time.

And....I think we would have beaten a good Arbroath side anyway.

The set up, intensity on and off the ball, possession, rhythm, creativity, on the deck, was night and day from what we've had to suffer. JG has to take a lot of credit for this. Hopefully more to come.

Agreed. Arbroath might've poor, but we were devastatingly clinical. It's been a long time since I've seen us play like that against anyone.

JUSTaway
05-08-2023, 11:30 AM
If the 3 wins last season prior to split, and defeat to Spartans tell us anything, it's not to make hasty judgements. It's really hard to tell just how good we were last night, we need a good 4-5 games to gage the team, they showed good intensity last night, even second half up to the subbies, played some really nice stuff too, but watching the goals back, some of the space we were afforded and mistakes from Arbroath were really poor, was that due to them not being able to cope with our intensity/movement? I think with a few departures we will possibly see some more additions too, and Fotheringham to come back. Moult already looks our most important player and key to how the team plays, we have no one else to play that role.

One thing you can say without any doubt, the keepers an upgrade! No way the Aussie would have saved that deflected Dow shot down the middle, he couldn't even save non deflected shots down the middle of his goal.

Arabdownsouth
05-08-2023, 11:42 AM
If the 3 wins last season prior to split, and defeat to Spartans tell us anything, it's not to make hasty judgements. It's really hard to tell just how good we were last night, we need a good 4-5 games to gage the team, they showed good intensity last night, even second half up to the subbies, played some really nice stuff too, but watching the goals back, some of the space we were afforded and mistakes from Arbroath were really poor, was that due to them not being able to cope with our intensity/movement? I think with a few departures we will possibly see some more additions too, and Fotheringham to come back. Moult already looks our most important player and key to how the team plays, we have no one else to play that role.

One thing you can say without any doubt, the keepers an upgrade! No way the Aussie would have saved that deflected Dow shot down the middle, he couldn't even save non deflected shots down the middle of his goal.

He was also done by a Mulgrew passback from the f*cking halfway line :(

JamesMcClean
05-08-2023, 11:46 AM
He was also done by a Mulgrew passback from the f*cking halfway line :(

That was Eriksson mate.

tHeArAb
05-08-2023, 11:53 AM
One thing that concerns me with the keeper is his positioning at free kicks. He almost 100% relies on the wall and hugs the opposite post. If we come up against a free kick specialist, he isnt getting across to make the save. That said, he looks excellent overall. A massive confidence booster for the back line. Not sure about the homemade short sleeve shirt mind you. ✂️

Arabdownsouth
05-08-2023, 11:53 AM
That was Eriksson mate.

So it was, he was f*cking shyte too. Birighitti did get done from the oppositions half against Hearts though tbf XD

JUSTaway
05-08-2023, 12:00 PM
Newman made a decent save last home game v Killie from their striker shooting from near the half way line, could have been the set.

Arabdownsouth
05-08-2023, 12:03 PM
Newman made a decent save last home game v Killie from their striker shooting from near the half way line, could have been the set.

Yeah that was a decent save tbf, no chance in hell the Aussie was keeping that out. Thank f*ck I will never see that c*nt in a United jersey again!

tHeArAb
05-08-2023, 12:08 PM
Thank f*ck I will never see that c*nt in a United jersey again!

tHeArAb
05-08-2023, 12:09 PM
😁😘

Arabdownsouth
05-08-2023, 12:28 PM

I hate you so much right now! XD

TerryTheTerror
05-08-2023, 01:04 PM
One thing that concerns me with the keeper is his positioning at free kicks. He almost 100% relies on the wall and hugs the opposite post. If we come up against a free kick specialist, he isnt getting across to make the save. That said, he looks excellent overall. A massive confidence booster for the back line. Not sure about the homemade short sleeve shirt mind you. ✂️

I don't think there'll be very many free kick specialists in the Championship. 🤔

Arabs4ever
05-08-2023, 01:15 PM
Great performance last night. Moved the ball quickly and went with pace. All we need now is for all the remaining games in the Championship to be draws this afternoon.

cybershed
05-08-2023, 01:28 PM
Great performance last night. Moved the ball quickly and went with pace. All we need now is for all the remaining games in the Championship to be draws this afternoon.

I reckon the following:

ICT - WIN @ home to Queens Park
Dunfy - WIN @ home to Airdrie
Partick v Raith - DRAW
Ayr - WIN v Morton away

bannon_ftd_83
05-08-2023, 02:08 PM
I don't think there'll be very many free kick specialists in the Championship. 🤔

There's freekick specialists in every level of football.

Yeats 62
05-08-2023, 03:30 PM
I hate you so much right now! XD

Arabdownsouth
05-08-2023, 06:18 PM

I'll happily sponsor the c*nt, 1 pound for every tooth he successfully picks back up off the floor without subsequently dropping again O:)

I'm confident I can make money on this deal.

ianharab
06-08-2023, 10:55 AM
Have to say , enjoyed game Friday , was pleasantly surprised, played some decent stuff , spine of the team looked good even Watt put a shift in , still think we are bit light on numbers tho when you look at the bench hopefully with Mulgrew and Behich now off the books we can add another couple