PDA

View Full Version : NL v League 2

sidders
05-08-2023, 04:25 PM
Perhaps the gap between these two levels of football is much wider than we supposed. Those who daydreamed about maybe 'doing a Luton' should take note of the adjustments that have to be made when a club returns to a league operating on a full-time professional basis.
Perhaps more of our players had dropped down to NL level than we thought because that was the limit of their ability.

Elite_Pie
05-08-2023, 04:40 PM
Perhaps the gap between these two levels of football is much wider than we supposed.

The recent performances of promoted NL and relegated L2 teams suggests otherwise. Today is one to forget, our attitude was that we just had to turn up and show our skills. I don't think Luke Williams will put up with that for long. Hopefully this game will be a kick up the arse for the players.

countygump
05-08-2023, 04:53 PM
Today was nothing to do with ability. It was to do with guts, determination and winning your personal battles. If you don't do those basics then you'll be very lucky to win any game at any level.

drillerpie
05-08-2023, 05:11 PM
I think this could apply to Notts particularly as we play a high risk game. We had plenty of games last year where Cameron made errors like today's, Baldwin too, and others. We usually got away with them because the opposition wasn't clinical enough, or we could simply outscore them.

On today's evidence, errors will be punished much more clinically in this division.

I hope Sutton turn out to be good this year because if that's a lower mid table team, we are in for a long season.

Also, the difference between the two teams in strength and athleticism was remarkable.

keldsyke
05-08-2023, 05:23 PM
I think this could apply to Notts particularly as we play a high risk game. We had plenty of games last year where Cameron made errors like today's, Baldwin too, and others. We usually got away with them because the opposition wasn't clinical enough, or we could simply outscore them.

On today's evidence, errors will be punished much more clinically in this division.

I hope Sutton turn out to be good this year because if that's a lower mid table team, we are in for a long season.

Also, the difference between the two teams in strength and athleticism was remarkable.

Was just about to post the same, the last two seasons we got away with a lot with mistakes at the back because the opposition didn’t punish us, it seems we’ve progressed up a league and making the same errors with the same Players in a higher division where potentially the opposition will be better, the goalkeepers, and whoever plays at the back doesn’t seem comfortable. But like I said in tbe match thread at least the possession stat is amazing, I’ll take that over a win or draw anyday! 🙄

Davy500
05-08-2023, 05:31 PM

Intersting as it was our fitness and athleticism that got us promoted via the play offs as we were technically beaten , our pre season fitness routine has allegedly been tough

Davy500
05-08-2023, 05:37 PM
Was just about to post the same, the last two seasons we got away with a lot with mistakes at the back because the opposition didn’t punish us, it seems we’ve progressed up a league and making the same errors with the same Players in a higher division where potentially the opposition will be better, the goalkeepers, and whoever plays at the back doesn’t seem comfortable. But like I said in tbe match thread at least the possession stat is amazing, I’ll take that over a win or draw anyday! 🙄

Absolute nonsense -I dont care about possession, long ball, hoof ball, defensive Ball or bullying ball, all that matters is whether its effective, as Warnock once said- what type of football do you bring- Warnock said winning football

drillerpie
05-08-2023, 05:41 PM
Intersting as it was our fitness and athleticism that got us promoted via the play offs as we were technically beaten , our pre season fitness routine has allegedly been tough

Maybe I phrased it wrongly but I wasn't implying we were unfit.

All of our team are quite slightly built. The majority of their players were very well built, fast, and technically accomplished. As I said before, quite scary if that's genuinely a 14th placed team.

Davy500
05-08-2023, 05:55 PM

All of our team are quite slightly built. The majority of their players were very well built, fast, and technically accomplished. As I said before, quite scary if that's genuinely a 14th placed team.

TBH i think they are a mid table team that will probably get most of their points from home games. Last season in the NL we were the best away team, this time its going to be much harder to pick up points on the road - lets hope our home form is up to par

slack_pie
05-08-2023, 05:56 PM
I think the games last season against the better NL teams tell you everything you need to know. We struggled to breakdown Boreham Wood and Chesterfield and conceded thanks to stupid defensive errors. If either of those sides had been more clinical, we'd have lost.

In L2, most teams will be better than BW and Chesterfield. There will be no teams as poor as the ones we trounced last year.

Unless we change our approach and do something about our woeful defending, we'll struggle.

Our back three today was so weak. Brindley is an average non-league right back, Rawlo is way past his best, Cameron makes at least one major error a game. Then throw in a new keeper, and the combination was a disaster.

We've got tons of attacking talent at the club, but our defence is NL level at best.

keldsyke
05-08-2023, 06:10 PM
Absolute nonsense -I dont care about possession, long ball, hoof ball, defensive Ball or bullying ball, all that matters is whether its effective, as Warnock once said- what type of football do you bring- Warnock said winning football

think you missed the sarcasm / irony of the post (I’m agreeing with you)!

countygump
05-08-2023, 06:14 PM

This^^^

We looked like a team of kids in comparison.

Davy500
05-08-2023, 06:20 PM
think you missed the sarcasm / irony of the post (I’m agreeing with you)!

Well i do appreciate that Keldsyke - but I think Notts are a lot better than that - i hope they are lol

keldsyke
05-08-2023, 06:24 PM
Well i do appreciate that Keldsyke - but I think Notts are a lot better than that - i hope they are lol

Whatever it takes to keep us up this season I will be happy with, imo we need to be a bit more switched on and mix it up when necessary, I think we are to predictable with an average at best back line.

irish_pie
05-08-2023, 06:29 PM
Just seen Camerons interview and first thing he did was to apologise to the fans and say it was not good enough... a little bit of truth I suppose but that was shocking on so many levels...we don't have the likes of Dorking and Maidstone to play around with anymore but if that is a sign of things to come we could be playing them again... I trust LW in what he is doing, he has to roast them for that complete debacle but i think he might be might too lovey dovey with the players to call them out...massive improvement needed at the lane next week.

hissingdwarf
05-08-2023, 06:56 PM
I don’t think the gap between the two leagues is massive, but it was important to build over the summer to bulk up the team.
We made a few shrewd signings considering we lost RR, but let’s be honest, you’ll struggle to find a Notts fan who wouldn’t agree with the statement “we need a dominating CB and a new keeper.”
Cameron is marmite. Tonight he’s on the nasty taste side. I’m not a fan, I know others are, due to his running out with the ball. Didn’t do us much good today though.

They out muscled us man for man. They went long when needed. We didn’t. They had pace. We didn’t.

Stone is a difficult one as not seen enough (and won’t now for a few weeks!) to judge whether he is a long term replacement. I’d imagine Mair would be upset with todays performance and I’m sure he would have made mistakes, but I’d have taken him in a heart beat.

The lack of will to compete was the difference, not the 10 men. The fact their players looked like they’d run through brick walls from the first kick off showed the difference.
Add into that the step up in ability…now we see the possible differences between the two leagues.

Elite_Pie
05-08-2023, 07:12 PM
The lack of will to compete was the difference, not the 10 men.

Summed up in a nutshell. They wanted it more than we did, and I said just that as early as the first goal. Last season we matched the opposition's workrate and let our superior skill show through. Today we just didn't match their workrate, and that was the main reason we deservedly got stuffed.

forwardmagpie
05-08-2023, 07:42 PM
The defence is the major problem,

Rawlinson hasn’t got the pace to live with lively forwards (he was easily outpaced and had to give away a corner for the first goal).

Brindley is a nice footballer but lacks the physical side of the game that he will come up against in this division.

Cameron is good on the ball and I like his play but as we all know he has always got a mistake waiting to happen.

Baldwin should always be a starter but he seems to struggle to stay fit for long periods.

I hope the young lad from Wolves has some pace and physicality

COYP

tommopie8
05-08-2023, 08:05 PM
Frustrating as we never gave ourselves a chance in that match. You give a goal and a man away in the opening 12 minutes against any team and you give yourselves a mountain to climb.

Rawlinson and Brindley should be back-ups. We started with the only changes from last season being Stone and McGoldrick. I think you could argue that it isn't any stronger.

If the brothers have any money and their recruitment is everything it's cracked up to be surely we can find a centre half who is an improvement on the two above.

An injury prone fullback (Fisher) and a loanee from Wolves aren't the answer.

Having said this - it's a disappointing dose of reality but I don't think 11v11 the game plays out anything like that.

durhampie
05-08-2023, 09:37 PM
Just seen Camerons interview and first thing he did was to apologise to the fans and say it was not good enough... a little bit of truth I suppose but that was shocking on so many levels...we don't have the likes of Dorking and Maidstone to play around with anymore but if that is a sign of things to come we could be playing them again... I trust LW in what he is doing, he has to roast them for that complete debacle but i think he might be might too lovey dovey with the players to call them out...massive improvement needed at the lane next week.

We need to stop shoehorning players into positions that are alien to them..

BigFatPie
05-08-2023, 10:02 PM
Frustrating as we never gave ourselves a chance in that match. You give a goal and a man away in the opening 12 minutes against any team and you give yourselves a mountain to climb.

Rawlinson and Brindley should be back-ups. We started with the only changes from last season being Stone and McGoldrick. I think you could argue that it isn't any stronger.

If the brothers have any money and their recruitment is everything it's cracked up to be surely we can find a centre half who is an improvement on the two above.

Having said this - it's a disappointing dose of reality but I don't think 11v11 the game plays out anything like that.

The obvious conclusion from that game is that we should have been in for Sowumni, but as we all know he probably wouldn’t be judged to be a good enough footballer for us.

We ask a lot from our centre halves, but obviously the higher up you go the better the defenders they have to be. Let’s hope the Wolves lad is a baller cos we’re in bother if he isn’t.

queenslandpie
05-08-2023, 10:08 PM
I remember playing Barnet at home last season and for the first half an hour or so they pressed us intensely and really rattled us. But they lacked the fitness and cohesion to continue to do it for the whole game and eventually we rolled them. Sutton played a similar style today but did have the fitness and cohesion to do it for 90 minutes. And we got hammered. I think this is a worrying result and we need some ugly side to our play quite quickly. Too nice and too soft. Also whats this nonsense with ifollow not being able to be used on Chrome cast. I had to watch it on my phone. Need a solution for that as well. This adjusting to live in League 2 malarkey is a right pain.

BJPIE
05-08-2023, 10:39 PM

Having said this - it's a disappointing dose of reality but I don't think 11v11 the game plays out anything like that. Tommopie8 did you attend today? Do you watch regularly? Why doesn't your criticism include Cameron. Rawlo is by no means a world beater but his game has improved under Williams. I don't think that is true of Brindley or Cameron

OchPie
06-08-2023, 03:16 AM
Totally agree that where we stepped off, they went through - and the ref let some very physical stuff go. Both teams had pace but they used theirs speculatively to great effect.

Also whats this nonsense with ifollow not being able to be used on Chrome cast. I had to watch it on my phone. Need a solution for that as well. This adjusting to live in League 2 malarkey is a right pain.

I was watching via the browser on my TV directly and it worked ok, I set it up after reading that casting was blocked.

queenslandpie
06-08-2023, 07:28 AM
Totally agree that where we stepped off, they went through - and the ref let some very physical stuff go. Both teams had pace but they used theirs speculatively to great effect.

I was watching via the browser on my TV directly and it worked ok, I set it up after reading that casting was blocked.

Yeah I was totally disorganised for that. I set my alarm wrong and missed half of the first half then had no time to sort it all out I just assumed it would work. I will get the TV browser working then all good. Hopefully like the team these are just teething issues!

Leics_Pie
06-08-2023, 10:49 AM
It was a rude awakening for sure.

Love LW, but thought the team selection was wrong from the get-go. First game back in the division against a team that has a lot of big and powerful players, would like to have gone for a bit more solidity at the back. Wanted TAR and Chicksen to start as both give us a bit more defensively than Jones and Nemane. Disappointing that Baldwin wasn’t fit to start either as the starting three have all got bigger weaknesses than him.

Ultimately though, the tone was set going a goal down after 90 seconds. You’d have thought the game plan would have been to be compact and not give them freebie’s in the first 20-25 mins, then look to exert influence.

The first goal was needless. Connell should have stepped across his man and let the ball run out. The mismatch at the corner, both in terms of physicality and positioning was frightening. Then to lose your keeper after 14 mins thanks to yet another poor back pass is pure shooting ourselves in the foot. 11v11 was going to be tough, a man down which gave them an extra player to press with was suicide.

Our game plan is high line, condense the pitch, dominate possession, overwhelm teams. Fair enough, but we saw last season we struggle and make mistakes when team press us consistently. We’ve got to get back to moving the ball more quickly and purposefully. The number of times we checked back/played loose passes was criminal and we started to see it at the end of last season. We can’t afford for it to continue.

Biggest issues for me are whether we have an option with more physicality in midfield when we are being overrun, and we desperately need a centre back or two that have the pace to make recovery runs when teams play behind the high line, as well as a dominant presence who can deal with set pieces and high balls into the box. Without those it’s gonna be tough.

tommopie8
06-08-2023, 11:21 AM
Tommopie8 did you attend today? Do you watch regularly? Why doesn't your criticism include Cameron. Rawlo is by no means a world beater but his game has improved under Williams. I don't think that is true of Brindley or Cameron

No I watched it on the stream because I have a daughter who wouldn't want to sit in a car for 5 hours you sanctimonious ****.

I didn't include Cameron as with the exception of the brain farts he can cut it at this level.

durhampie
06-08-2023, 11:45 AM
The majority of the opposition last season was so poor, it made us believe that we were far better than we actually are..

Carlton_Pie
06-08-2023, 12:13 PM
I do hope we haven't repeated the failures of the relegation season.

Signing good attacking players but not strengthening the defence and having a midfield that can't compete.

Proactive not Reactive
06-08-2023, 05:00 PM
It was a rude awakening for sure.

Love LW, but thought the team selection was wrong from the get-go. First game back in the division against a team that has a lot of big and powerful players, would like to have gone for a bit more solidity at the back. Wanted TAR and Chicksen to start as both give us a bit more defensively than Jones and Nemane. Disappointing that Baldwin wasn’t fit to start either as the starting three have all got bigger weaknesses than him.

Ultimately though, the tone was set going a goal down after 90 seconds. You’d have thought the game plan would have been to be compact and not give them freebie’s in the first 20-25 mins, then look to exert influence.

The first goal was needless. Connell should have stepped across his man and let the ball run out. The mismatch at the corner, both in terms of physicality and positioning was frightening. Then to lose your keeper after 14 mins thanks to yet another poor back pass is pure shooting ourselves in the foot. 11v11 was going to be tough, a man down which gave them an extra player to press with was suicide.

Our game plan is high line, condense the pitch, dominate possession, overwhelm teams. Fair enough, but we saw last season we struggle and make mistakes when team press us consistently. We’ve got to get back to moving the ball more quickly and purposefully. The number of times we checked back/played loose passes was criminal and we started to see it at the end of last season. We can’t afford for it to continue.

Biggest issues for me are whether we have an option with more physicality in midfield when we are being overrun, and we desperately need a centre back or two that have the pace to make recovery runs when teams play behind the high line, as well as a dominant presence who can deal with set pieces and high balls into the box. Without those it’s gonna be tough.

I think you are spot on with hindsight but unfortunately LW didn’t have that and with Nemane being one of our best sources of attack last season and Jones looking fitter and stronger there pre-season and also him and the squad believed the hype of the bookies so why would he go defensive away at a team that finished 14th last season although your theory was more solid and bring the more attacking players on when the game was stretched a bit more …perhaps something we will have to do more often this season
We know there are problems at the back and would like to see Baldwin and Tipton in the side probably in a back 4
As worrying for me was Palmer and Bostock ran the midfield last season in virtually every game and rarely gave the ball away but yesterday they were both bullied and gave the ball away a lot.
Hopefully it was mainly down to us having 10 men

BanjoPie
06-08-2023, 05:17 PM
I do hope we haven't repeated the failures of the relegation season.

Signing good attacking players but not strengthening the defence and having a midfield that can't compete.

Jesus - 1st match in L2!

matt_magpie
06-08-2023, 05:33 PM
Jesus - 1st match in L2!

You certainly wouldn’t want to be in the trenches with some on here, one sign of adversity and it’s sheer panic and turns out last years 107 point season was because everyone’s awful in that league, yet more teams are full time than ever in there.
Facts are we do need another defender, every single Notts player under achieved, probably every single Sutton player over achieved, result, we got walloped.

marky
06-08-2023, 05:55 PM
There's no drama. Notts just need to sign a defender, someone with experience, just this once they need to forget about this "radar model" or whatever you call it.

slack_pie
06-08-2023, 05:58 PM
Jesus - 1st match in L2!

I think most Notts fans are scarred from seasons past and any bad result dredges up all sort of bad memories and fears.

That said, we can't be naive either. There were clear signs towards the end of last season that we had problems at the back. Let's be honest, we were poor in both playoff games, and we'd have lost either to a half-decent side. The Stoke friendly was another eye-opener. Yet seemingly nothing has been done to fix our defensive problems.

Perhaps it was just a bad day at the office and we'll start shooting up the table over the coming weeks, but I have to say there are similarities to what happened under Nolan.

Of course you can't compare our current owners to Hardy, and Williams is clearly more professional and driven than Nolan was during that pre-season of doom. But even during the playoff season under Nolan, it was clear after a great start that there were problems. Those problems were never really addressed. Rather, they got bigger. And we all know what happened the following season.

I'm not saying the same thing will happen again. What I'm saying is if you continue to ignore obvious issues, those issues will eventually grow. Our defence needs sorting, either tactically or through new personnel. If we don't do that, we'll continue to get battered by teams who are good enough to take advantage of it.

matt_magpie
06-08-2023, 08:00 PM
I think most Notts fans are scarred from seasons past and any bad result dredges up all sort of bad memories and fears.

That said, we can't be naive either. There were clear signs towards the end of last season that we had problems at the back. Let's be honest, we were poor in both playoff games, and we'd have lost either to a half-decent side. The Stoke friendly was another eye-opener. Yet seemingly nothing has been done to fix our defensive problems.

Perhaps it was just a bad day at the office and we'll start shooting up the table over the coming weeks, but I have to say there are similarities to what happened under Nolan.

Of course you can't compare our current owners to Hardy, and Williams is clearly more professional and driven than Nolan was during that pre-season of doom. But even during the playoff season under Nolan, it was clear after a great start that there were problems. Those problems were never really addressed. Rather, they got bigger. And we all know what happened the following season.

I'm not saying the same thing will happen again. What I'm saying is if you continue to ignore obvious issues, those issues will eventually grow. Our defence needs sorting, either tactically or through new personnel. If we don't do that, we'll continue to get battered by teams who are good enough to take advantage of it.

That season there was a massive decline Jan onwards and then to try and get a manager to play a creative style when he was the extreme of long ball was never going to work and that was only the half of it.
That said I get what you’re saying, if we’re playing 3 at the back we need another top level defender at the very least, a lot depends on Tipton too.
We got promoted last season because we had high intensity and especially away from home. I didn’t see any of that yesterday, I think the occasion got on top of them and they didn’t show Sutton the respect they deserved.
LW will sort with the owners, they are both intelligent and both want success and they aren’t stupid enough to think Notts can coast it, that’s one positive from Hardy’s reign, the lesson even if you’re as big as Notts you’re not too big to go into non league football.

Davy500
07-08-2023, 05:04 AM
I think you are spot on with hindsight but unfortunately LW didn’t have that and with Nemane being one of our best sources of attack last season and Jones looking fitter and stronger there pre-season and also him and the squad believed the hype of the bookies so why would he go defensive away at a team that finished 14th last season although your theory was more solid and bring the more attacking players on when the game was stretched a bit more …perhaps something we will have to do more often this season
We know there are problems at the back and would like to see Baldwin and Tipton in the side probably in a back 4
As worrying for me was Palmer and Bostock ran the midfield last season in virtually every game and rarely gave the ball away but yesterday they were both bullied and gave the ball away a lot.
Hopefully it was mainly down to us having 10 men

We fell behind early just as in the play offs, but this time we were playing better opposition, so when we went down to 10 men it effectively ended the game as we were already behind
As for sutton finishing 14th, they were a much better home side than that, in fact they won 11 at home , out of the 15 they won all season, in fact only 4 teams won more games at home than Sutton last season
Notts had the best away record in NL, its obvious that this time, we are going to struggle more at gaining points on the road

Davy500
07-08-2023, 05:06 AM
That season there was a massive decline Jan onwards and then to try and get a manager to play a creative style when he was the extreme of long ball was never going to work and that was only the half of it.
That said I get what you’re saying, if we’re playing 3 at the back we need another top level defender at the very least, a lot depends on Tipton too.
We got promoted last season because we had high intensity and especially away from home. I didn’t see any of that yesterday, I think the occasion got on top of them and they didn’t show Sutton the respect they deserved.
LW will sort with the owners, they are both intelligent and both want success and they aren’t stupid enough to think Notts can coast it, that’s one positive from Hardy’s reign, the lesson even if you’re as big as Notts you’re not too big to go into non league football.

The reason for the decline from January , was Yates leaving, and Hardy failing to strenghtn in the January transfer window , whilst the other teams did

Magpies1959
07-08-2023, 01:09 PM
If we are as poor on Saturday then I think although still early, there might be more cause for concern.

GrimsbySteve
07-08-2023, 01:30 PM
I would rather you had got off to a good start from our point of view , your lads will be fired up on Saturday no doubt .

I am interested in how the game goes as judging by pre-season and Saturday we will play some very good football on the ground , but without the end product unfortunately - it looks like we miss what you have - a natural goalscorer or 2 .

I imagine it will be tight , with both teams having spells of possession ; with last seasons more 'league 2' strategy of counter attack and defend I would be more confident ; but after your defeat and our new style not so much.

Keep an eye out for Conteh in the middle of the park ,he will go onto much bigger things - some talent .

Steve

Davy500
07-08-2023, 01:31 PM
If we are as poor on Saturday then I think although still early, there might be more cause for concern.

Williams sacked if we dont win any of the first 5 matches ?

slack_pie
07-08-2023, 02:03 PM

Not a chance. We'd have to be struggling around the relegation spots come Christmas for his job to be in doubt.

slack_pie
07-08-2023, 02:06 PM
I would rather you had got off to a good start from our point of view , your lads will be fired up on Saturday no doubt .

I am interested in how the game goes as judging by pre-season and Saturday we will play some very good football on the ground , but without the end product unfortunately - it looks like we miss what you have - a natural goalscorer or 2 .

I imagine it will be tight , with both teams having spells of possession ; with last seasons more 'league 2' strategy of counter attack and defend I would be more confident ; but after your defeat and our new style not so much.

Keep an eye out for Conteh in the middle of the park ,he will go onto much bigger things - some talent .

Steve

Cheers Steve. I can see it being a close game, perhaps a score draw or you guys just sneaking it. Should be a decent atmosphere too.

We know a bit about Conteh from his time at Gateshead. Seems a cracking signing.

Enjoy the game (but not too much!)

the_anticlough
07-08-2023, 03:08 PM

I think so. And the Reedtz brothers will write to the league to have our promotion cancelled and we'll go straight back to the NL. They'll also burn the stadium down and we'll play on the Embankment instead.

matt_magpie
07-08-2023, 03:15 PM
The reason for the decline from January , was Yates leaving, and Hardy failing to strenghtn in the January transfer window , whilst the other teams did

That was main reason, but we had been a bit fortunate too in games we had won before and I think teams just worked us out too. Yates was key in picking up those second balls, we were too reliant on him.

matt_magpie
07-08-2023, 03:25 PM

If we are comparing the situation to Nolan there’s no comparison. LWs a million miles in front of him as a manager and the owners believe in him too. There’s a more collaborative approach/responsibility now also.
That season Hardy believed he could just turn Notts into Brazil overnight, nice idea but he didn’t have the tools or patience and then basically threw all his managers under the bus including Ardley when saying he wanted Nolan back in Feb, madness, there’s no comparison this season.

Davy500
07-08-2023, 03:42 PM
If we are comparing the situation to Nolan there’s no comparison. LWs a million miles in front of him as a manager and the owners believe in him too. There’s a more collaborative approach/responsibility now also.
That season Hardy believed he could just turn Notts into Brazil overnight, nice idea but he didn’t have the tools or patience and then basically threw all his managers under the bus including Ardley when saying he wanted Nolan back in Feb, madness, there’s no comparison this season.

Well the Jury is out on that one, is Williams a better manager than Nolan ?
Over his first 2 seasons Nolan had play off form for 18 months, absurdly sacked after 5 games ??
Williams really should do better than Nolan with just the fact that the owners are far more stable than Hardy, he has got everthing advantage

Davy500
07-08-2023, 03:46 PM
I think so. And the Reedtz brothers will write to the league to have our promotion cancelled and we'll go straight back to the NL. They'll also burn the stadium down and we'll play on the Embankment instead.

I know but we have to find some entertainment from the heavy defeat at Sutton. To clarify it would be crazy to sack LW after 5 matches whether we win any or not. I think it was just a bad day against a good home side in L2, made far worse by going down to 10 men
I am not to worried, i think Notts will go on to do better, as the season progresses

matt_magpie
07-08-2023, 08:05 PM
Well the Jury is out on that one, is Williams a better manager than Nolan ?
Over his first 2 seasons Nolan had play off form for 18 months, absurdly sacked after 5 games ??
Williams really should do better than Nolan with just the fact that the owners are far more stable than Hardy, he has got everthing advantage

Well I would say there’s absolutely no comparison but that’s only my opinion.
It’s is fairer to judge in L2 though, if we get in the play offs I will be more than happy, I do think this leagues a lot stronger than a few years ago though.

Davy500
08-08-2023, 02:47 AM
Well I would say there’s absolutely no comparison but that’s only my opinion.
It’s is fairer to judge in L2 though, if we get in the play offs I will be more than happy, I do think this leagues a lot stronger than a few years ago though.

I think Nolan is streets ahead --but LW with all the advantages is learning quick ..

Davy500
08-08-2023, 02:54 AM
Dissapointed Nolan didnt get another managers job in the lower leagues , maybe he is getting paid so much more as a head coach for Premier WHU

queenslandpie
08-08-2023, 05:25 AM
I think Nolan is streets ahead --but LW with all the advantages is learning quick ..

So you think Nolan is streets ahead of Williams as a better manager? Is that what you are saying?

If you think that mate then you need to take a long hard look at yourself. I am hoping it's just the booze talking.

matt_magpie
08-08-2023, 09:50 AM

Is this a wind up? 😂 LWs had been coaching for nearly 10 years when he took the Notts job and in higher leagues.
On Nolan getting another job either no one wants him or he hasn’t the desire to do it.

Proactive not Reactive
08-08-2023, 01:12 PM
Not a chance. We'd have to be struggling around the relegation spots come Christmas for his job to be in doubt.

Quite correct too, he's earned loyalty from the owners and fans

Proactive not Reactive
08-08-2023, 01:18 PM
Is this a wind up? �� LWs had been coaching for nearly 10 years when he took the Notts job and in higher leagues.
On Nolan getting another job either no one wants him or he hasn’t the desire to do it.

LW far better coach and the style of football is far better - we did reach the play offs with Nolan but the football was dreadful relying on a Grant free kick to scrape a win when the opposition had outplayed us
I would rather finish halfway with LW brand of football than play offs with KN brand

Davy500
08-08-2023, 08:12 PM
So you think Nolan is streets ahead of Williams as a better manager? Is that what you are saying?

If you think that mate then you need to take a long hard look at yourself. I am hoping it's just the booze talking.

Williams has not got a clue in the league , out of his depth - but with good owners and guidance he will be ok

Davy500
10-08-2023, 05:07 PM
Williams has not got a clue in the league , out of his depth - but with good owners and guidance he will be ok

Dam IT -- nobody took the bait. I wait till win aginst Grimsby who havent scored a goal - then you will be already think we are champions - coming soon ..