PDA

View Full Version : Brooks recall?

OP67
06-08-2023, 07:52 AM
Do we have a recall clause on for Brooks?? We definately need a keeper on the bench for the Grimsby game. I certainly wouldn't be playing that game without one with the new rules. Being a season long loan can you recall?

crazyfists
06-08-2023, 08:07 AM
I'm not sure but something needs to happen. To the people who've seen Stone play, why does everyone say he's so crap?

As for Slocombe he's always been underwhelming. Unless it's a tip over the bar from a shot straight at him, he never really saves anything. A good keeper pulls off saves and you think that was a great save, must happen once in a blue moon with Slocombe as he just seems to let them all in.

As I say, why is Stone so crap according to people?

Chicken Balti Pie
06-08-2023, 08:14 AM
Brooks is injured, we'll probably need to loan a keeper

countygump
06-08-2023, 08:46 AM

We needed to sign a competent keeper as well as a couple of 4XL sized athletic/ball playing defenders at the beginning of this Season, last Season and the Season before, but never seemed to get around to it, Get it done!!!!

As for Stone, he just looks a bit flaky, a bit random, (mmmmm, Randoms), just as error prone, if not more so, than Sloco. I'd sooner trust Sloco in goal and I don't particularly think that he's that good.

OP67
06-08-2023, 08:54 AM

Didn't know that, so a loan it will have to be.

The standard in L2 means our keeper will be worked harder this season. Stone was a little left field to me and even Vale fans were surprised we bought him.

countygump
06-08-2023, 09:03 AM
Didn't know that, so a loan it will have to be.

The standard in L2 means our keeper will be worked harder this season. Stone was a little left field to me and even Vale fans were surprised we bought him.

You just can't envisage either of our keepers, playing a blinder in any match and keeping out every opposition shot and allowing us to sneak a 1-0. Sadly, neither of them are good enough.

forwardmagpie
06-08-2023, 09:56 AM
It seems a bit quick to be writing off Stone, I like to give players at least half a dozen games before I decide they are crap 🤔

Proactive not Reactive
06-08-2023, 10:07 AM
Ridiculous Stone is being wrote off Brindley got outmuscled for the first goal and Cameron’s back pass stitched him up for his sending off - Brooks could have got sent off at Bromley and Slocombe at Wembley,they are only as good as the pass backs and more exposed as keepers
When he returns from suspension give him a chance,fans are far too quick to write new signings off ..as we did Mair after the first cup game

BJPIE
06-08-2023, 10:14 AM
Ridiculous Stone is being wrote off Brindley got outmuscled for the first goal and Cameron’s back pass stitched him up for his sending off - Brooks could have got sent off at Bromley and Slocombe at Wembley,they are only as good as the pass backs and more exposed as keepers
When he returns from suspension give him a chance,fans are far too quick to write new signings off ..as we did Mair after the first cup game
Agree 100%
Stone done nothing wrong yet, no reason to think he will.
Must be a f***** nightmare playing behind our defence.

OldBanksy
06-08-2023, 10:25 AM
It was an awful back pass but does that mean you have to get yourself sent off? Complete brain fart.

What was Slocombe doing for the third? The one where he kicks the post in frustration. His attempt at a save was worryingly cr@p.

OP67
06-08-2023, 10:45 AM

I'n not saying recall Brooks because Stone is crap, I'm saying because on Saturday we'll not have a keeper on the bench as Stone will be suspended!!!

crazyfists
06-08-2023, 11:30 AM
It was an awful back pass but does that mean you have to get yourself sent off? Complete brain fart.

What was Slocombe doing for the third? The one where he kicks the post in frustration. His attempt at a save was worryingly cr@p.

He seemed to dive backwards into the net. I only see about 10 games live a season and then highlights the rest but he always underwhelms. The only top save I've seen him do was away at Halifax I think last season when they volleyed it from in the area and he produced a worldie. I hate saying all this as he seems a great person and team member in the dressing room.

I feel growing up, we always had good keepers (Cherry, Ward) so maybe I've been spoilt.

Magpies1959
06-08-2023, 11:39 AM
It was never a sending off yesterday , there were two players covering and their striker would have struggled to get a shot off.

Chicken Balti Pie
06-08-2023, 12:04 PM
It was never a sending off yesterday , there were two players covering and their striker would have struggled to get a shot off.

It was handball out the area

cher1
06-08-2023, 12:31 PM
I only listened but Stall said it was a definite red.

Magpies1959
06-08-2023, 02:08 PM
Fair does CBP, didn't realise handball by a keeper was an automatic red.

OchPie
06-08-2023, 02:39 PM
It's not though. They are treated the same as outfield players - sent off if the handball denies a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence. It'd be a yellow for stopping a promising attack.

I doubt Notts will appeal it.

SmiffyPie
06-08-2023, 02:53 PM
Fair does CBP, didn't realise handball by a keeper was an automatic red.It is debatable whether the Sutton played was denied a clear chance at goal (our two were square to him at best) but you can understand the refs thought process.

tommopie8
06-08-2023, 04:24 PM
Yes it was another howler by KC before people thinks this is him being absolved of the blame. Stone was sold short with an awful pass but just stay on the edge of your box but still in the bloody box. Worse case it's 2-0 and 11v11 with 80 minutes left. If Slocombe does that vs Boreham Wood after Bostock's short ball we lose that game and are still in NL.

We bought him in to be a sweeper keeper and the first test he faced, he failed miserably no matter how the ball ended up there.

Chicken Balti Pie
06-08-2023, 05:21 PM
It's not though. They are treated the same as outfield players - sent off if the handball denies a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence. It'd be a yellow for stopping a promising attack.

I doubt Notts will appeal it.

Had Stone not handled/caught the player, he'd have had an empty net to shoot into. Brindley may have been "covering" had he been 30 yards out but he was on the edge of the box, it was a red

OchPie
06-08-2023, 05:55 PM
Had Stone not handled/caught the player, he'd have had an empty net to shoot into. Brindley may have been "covering" had he been 30 yards out but he was on the edge of the box, it was a red

Played it back, at the point Stone touched the ball there was nobody behind him. Definite DOGSO.

OP67
06-08-2023, 06:40 PM
So do we think we'll bring in a loan keeper to sit on the bench for the Grimsby game or take the chance??

SmiffyPie
06-08-2023, 09:34 PM
We bought him in to be a sweeper keeper and the first test he faced, he failed miserably no matter how the ball ended up there.The sweeper keeper role is a possession pivot not a last line of outfield defence. He could have stayed on the edge of the box but the Sutton player was running across him. He was sold down the river and had very little choice.

Mud Pie
06-08-2023, 10:03 PM
The sweeper keeper role is a possession pivot not a last line of outfield defence. He could have stayed on the edge of the box but the Sutton player was running across him. He was sold down the river and had very little choice.

totally agree. Stone could've maybe done better with the sh!t sandwich on his plate is one thing, but to say he 'failed miserably' is not correct imo.

keldsyke
06-08-2023, 10:54 PM
I always try to reverse a situation for balance (swap shirts), if that was the opposition keeper with Notts attacking I think most Notts supporters would be baying for blood, personally I think the ref had no other option tbf.

OP67
08-08-2023, 03:27 PM
So Stone will see out his 1 match suspension tonight in the cup and will be available on Saturday v Grimsby. I don't know what all the panic was about XD

51Magpie
08-08-2023, 03:50 PM
totally agree. Stone could've maybe done better with the sh!t sandwich on his plate is one thing, but to say he 'failed miserably' is not correct imo.

Quite right. "Sweeper keeper" is nothing to do with it. The reason he was just outside the area was that he had to sprint to intercept and then slam the brakes on at the edge of the area. On a slippery pitch, players were sliding all over the place all through the match. To say that Cameron's back pass was awful is an understatement. It was actually as good a through ball for their striker as he could ever have wished for.

Woodypie
10-08-2023, 11:26 AM
My guess is that Slocombe will play against Grimsby. The defence is likely to be all change, so Slocombe will be a bit of continuity. Even if his form isn't great either.

BanjoPie
10-08-2023, 11:34 AM
Quite right. "Sweeper keeper" is nothing to do with it. The reason he was just outside the area was that he had to sprint to intercept and then slam the brakes on at the edge of the area. On a slippery pitch, players were sliding all over the place all through the match. To say that Cameron's back pass was awful is an understatement. It was actually as good a through ball for their striker as he could ever have wished for.

Cameron needs to go a ‘mindfulness’ course so as to be ‘more aware of the moment’ !

slack_pie
10-08-2023, 12:14 PM
You just can't envisage either of our keepers, playing a blinder in any match and keeping out every opposition shot and allowing us to sneak a 1-0. Sadly, neither of them are good enough.

So true. Those games where a keeper makes several great saves to earn their team a draw pretty much never happens for us, but it often happens against us.

Signing a top keeper and two big defenders should have been a priority. I'm thinking Nathan Ashmore and Omar Sowunmi, that kind of player.

But yeah, I get it, they probably aren't the best at playing neat triangles on the edge of their box.

Proactive not Reactive
10-08-2023, 01:15 PM
I think Notts struggle to get players to leave London, people who live there (especially young people)love it because its a multi cultural place with loads happening - I should know I can't get my daughters to leave there even though they now have families.
Sowunmi moved down the road from Bromley to Sutton probably with a good wage increase more than likely didn't have to move house or uproot the family.
There are a number of players playing in leagues lower than they are capable in the London Borough because they don't want to move ... especially North.

ThaiPie
10-08-2023, 01:19 PM
We needed to sign a competent keeper as well as a couple of 4XL sized athletic/ball playing defenders at the beginning of this Season, last Season and the Season before, but never seemed to get around to it, Get it done!!!!

As for Stone, he just looks a bit flaky, a bit random, (mmmmm, Randoms), just as error prone, if not more so, than Sloco.

Stone has played 15 minutes of competitive football! and you and others are writing him off. Pathetic.

Proactive not Reactive
10-08-2023, 01:43 PM
Stone has played 15 minutes of competitive football! and you and others are writing him off. Pathetic.

Totally agree Notts fans all over - just hope the fans get behind the team on Saturday we will need it with the noise Grimsby make.

durhampie
10-08-2023, 05:00 PM
Totally agree Notts fans all over - just hope the fans get behind the team on Saturday we will need it with the noise Grimsby make.

We do get behind the team, or have you not been recently.. Is this another one of your sermons from your pulpit...

countygump
10-08-2023, 05:11 PM

Meh, time will tell, it normally does...