PDA

View Full Version : Clarets v Spurs, English Premier League Match Preview.

The Bedlington Terrier
31-08-2023, 02:59 PM
Clarets Mad - Clarets v Spurs, English Premier League Match Preview.
Venue: Turf Moor, Harry Potts Way, Burnley BB10 4BX.
Kick-off – 15.00 – Saturday 2nd September 2023.

After a rocky start with two home defeats already on the board Burnley take on Angelos Postecoglou’s Tottenham Hotspur at a respectable mid-afternoon kick-off time at Turf Moor.

It will seem strange watching the Spurs without the talismanic Harry Kane in the famous white shirt adorned with a crowing cockerel who is now plying his trade in the Bundesliga with Bayern Munich.

It remains to be seen what sort of starting line-up Vincent Kompany will choose following a phenomenal input of new faces at Turf Moor in the latest transfer window. Burnley fans right across social media have plenty of diverse opinions on this subject.

Aro Muric is highly favoured for a recall following a clean sheet in the Clarets’ 1-0 victory at the City Ground on Wednesday night.

Sadly, Hjalmar Ekdal suffered what appears to be a serious knee injury in the cup victory and by the sort of coincidence football throws up Vincent Kompany is rumoured to have contacted Ange Postecoglou with a view to taking on Eric Dier on a season long loan ostensibly to fill the gap Ekdal’s injury has opened. The response was less than positive.

One’s to watch: For the Clarets, the pairing of Lyle Foster and Zeki Amdouni is moulding nicely with Foster nicking a consolation goal in last Sunday’s 3-1 reverse against an impressive Aston Villa, his partner in crime Amdouni grabbing a late winner in the Caribou Cup against multiple trophy winners Nottingham Forest.

For Tottenham, James Maddison has just been called up by Gareth Southgate for the impending England internationals t Stones and take your pick from the rest of last season’s Manchester City’s treble winning team. Undoubtedly Maddison is a real talent and will present a serious threat to the Clarets’ defence on Saturday.

Verdict: “Bouncebackability” will be the order of the day for the Clarets following two consecutive home reverses, I’m forever the eternal optimist and will go for a hard-fought 2-1 home win.

Footnote: Stuck forever in my mind are the halcyon days of the early 1960’s when Harry Potts’ Burnley clashed with Bill Nicholson’s Spurs when players with household names dished up titanic football matches. I was at the 1962 FA Cup Final with my grandfather and witnessed the likes of Bill Brown and Adam Blacklaw, Danny Blanchflower and Jimmy McIlroy, Jimmy Greaves and Ray Pointer, Cliff Jones and John Connelly. Hard men, great football and no VAR.

Sadly, the Clarets lost 3-1 on that May Day but what a day it was! (TEC).

Swissclaret
31-08-2023, 04:22 PM
Thanks BT. Who could ever forget the cup final?

Maddison seems to be really contributing and he will be a major creative threat for us to nullify. Bring back Brian O’Neal. He would soon sort him out >;)

If we can nullify their attack (bring back Taylor for a start) and we can use a bit of pace to turn their defence, we could have a chance, I believe.