PDA

View Full Version : What's your oldest Millers shirt, hat, scarf etc that you own?

Brin
01-09-2023, 08:38 PM
Following on from the story about Philip Rylett the chap from Mexico visiting the NYS tomorrow, it prompted me to think what is the oldest Millers wear I have stuffed away somewhere.

Mine is probably an old scarf from the 80/81 season so that's making it 42 years old. I've countless other scarves, hats, shirts in the cupboards but not as old as the scarf.

What is it and how old is your personal Millers wear you still have squirrelled away somewhere?

CAMiller
01-09-2023, 08:55 PM
Believe it or not mine's a scarf I got for Christmas 2022 so it's well over 6 months old now XD

I've never had a shirt, the girls had them when they were young (2000 One2One light blue away shirts) and my grandson has had a couple (2018 and 2022) but as they never fitted me I can't really claim them.

I have the MillersMAD c2006 ("Where everyone knows your username" pin/badge) or at least I did have but Mrs. CA might have lost it in the wash :blue:

Brin
01-09-2023, 09:00 PM
Believe it or not mine's a scarf I got for Christmas 2022 so it's well over 6 months old now XD

I've never had a shirt, the girls had them when they were young (2000 One2One light blue away shirts) and my grandson has had a couple (2018 and 2022) but as they never fitted me I can't really claim them.

I have the MillersMAD c2006 ("Where everyone knows your username" pin/badge) or at least I did have but Mrs. CA might have lost it in the wash :blue:

CAM, I've still got that badge!

sota
01-09-2023, 09:05 PM
I’ve got that badge too ha ha

Brin
01-09-2023, 09:22 PM
I’ve got that badge too ha ha

Still with us then pal....nice to see.

sota
01-09-2023, 09:34 PM
Yes mate thanks. We dodged a bullet once again. Would be nice to do the tour of old stomping grounds again next month if you fancy it.

Brin
01-09-2023, 09:36 PM
Yes mate thanks. We dodged a bullet once again. Would be nice to do the tour of old stomping grounds again next month if you fancy it.

Let me know what dates you're over and i'll see if we can meet up again pal.

CAMiller
01-09-2023, 09:44 PM

Don't forget to invite Monty! XD

sota
01-09-2023, 09:47 PM
Lol

Brin
01-09-2023, 09:54 PM
Don't forget to invite Monty! XD

XD......thanks for the reminder

Jocksgloves1
03-09-2023, 01:35 PM
1967 woollen scarf, complete with supporters club badge from that era sewn on.

Steve Miller
03-09-2023, 02:41 PM
Well you got me wondering whatever happened to my pompom hat, scarf and rattle that I had from circa 1963...
Some bustard in my family clearly ladles em quietly in the bin after I left home...
Though I had been banned from taking the rattle to Millmoor from about 65... we had seats in the stand and them around us hated it. :) Literally came to a head when the top flew off and banjaxed an old gimmer two rows in front...
I'm a gimmer myself now so I'll pose another question: when and why did rattles die out???

Brin
03-09-2023, 05:48 PM
Well you got me wondering whatever happened to my pompom hat, scarf and rattle that I had from circa 1963...
Some bustard in my family clearly ladles em quietly in the bin after I left home...
Though I had been banned from taking the rattle to Millmoor from about 65... we had seats in the stand and them around us hated it. :) Literally came to a head when the top flew off and banjaxed an old gimmer two rows in front...
I'm a gimmer myself now so I'll pose another question: when and why did rattles die out???

I recall rattles in the late 60’ or very early 70’s for some reason or, I may well have handled one back then.

Suppose they died out under Health and Safety regs so I’d say pre 80’s.

CTMilller
03-09-2023, 05:50 PM
Excellent post!

Googling suggests they were banned in the 1970s as they were seen as something of a weapon in the hands of hooligans. They were beginning to die out anyway. I think you've largely answered the question why!

I may still have mine that I bought from Suggs in 1960. I think it was 7/6 and was painted in our colours. I added 'UP THE MILLERS' in capital letters on one of the slats with Humbrol paint and was dead proud of it standing in Kids Corner with mates from school. I was 9. I'll be clearing out the garage at my UK place in the next few months and will look for it.

Brin
03-09-2023, 06:05 PM
Excellent post!

Googling suggests they were banned in the 1970s as they were seen as something of a weapon in the hands of hooligans. They were beginning to die out anyway. I think you've largely answered the question why!

I may still have mine that I bought from Suggs in 1960. I think it was 7/6 and was painted in our colours. I added 'UP THE MILLERS' in capital letters on one of the slats with Humbrol paint and was dead proud of it standing in Kids Corner with mates from school. I was 9. I'll be clearing out the garage at my UK place in the next few months and will look for it.

Good luck with that pal, hope you find it. I also recall someone painting their's red and white and, maybe that's why I recall handling one as a kid. Felt quite heavy at the time to hold and swing about but the noise was great. A bit akin to sticking a lollipop stick through your rear brakes so it made a din coming off the spokes of your wheel, only the rattle was a hundred times louder! XD

CTMilller
03-09-2023, 06:10 PM
Cheers, Brin! I'd forgotten about the lolly sticks on bicycle spokes. Good memory!

Brin
03-09-2023, 06:11 PM
Cheers, Brin! I'd forgotten about the lolly sticks on bicycle spokes. Good memory!

Well done with the PL this weekend.

CTMilller
03-09-2023, 07:32 PM
Well done with the PL this weekend.

LOL - thanks. I was almost as surprised by that as I was by our brilliant win yesterday!

You might like this. With one of my 'Halikon Days, Pidge' stories in mind, I chalked up a French Hopscotch grid in my front drive recently and had a go. The moves involving two feet were fine but I found it nearly impossible to hop with two knee replacements - so had my kids and grandkids join in and learn all the moves. After a more than six decade hiatus we're back with intergenerational hopscotch!

millertop
04-09-2023, 08:29 AM

It’s not really funny but you could’ve killed him ;D

Steve Miller
04-09-2023, 10:30 AM
It’s not really funny but you could’ve killed him ;D
You're right! In fact I saw my first person die in the stands at Millmoor, aged about 7...
My dad always made us wait back at the end of the game and there was just one old chap left in the row in front, in a brown trilby.
He just sort of slouched over and there were gentle bubbles coming from his mouth. A horrible sight - but we had won the game and I swear my rattle never went near him!

Bradgate
04-09-2023, 11:39 AM
My oldest Miller's related item is a rattle made by my grandad to celebrate my first Millmoor visit back in 1959, followed by a handful of programmes from the early 60's.Don't remember who it was against only that the opposition were in all blue kit. Couldn't understand why there was one guy in a black blazer and shorts running around. I was more interested in watching the continual hundreds of flickering lights in the crowd as folks lit up their Parkdrive.