PDA

View Full Version : Well, now

Zippity
02-09-2023, 11:39 PM
I missed the build up, the team news and the match (was at a Taekwondo tournament in Edinburgh) and, the way it turned out, I'm very glad I did.

Maybe that's why my response isn't quite as emotional as some (thinking more other social media than here, tbf).

There's no getting away from how **** we were today but to see Howe being questioned in some quarters is, frankly, laughable. I'm guessing they're either newer fans or actually mackems trying to cause trouble.

We have the toughest opening 5 games of any team and won't have a clear idea about where we'll be this season until late Autumn, imo.

I'm actually quite glad we've got the international break now-hopefully it will break this cycle and allow us to refocus on the stuff we're good at and which served us so well last season. It'll also give us, as fans, time to get over the disappointment and do the same

toonozandy
03-09-2023, 01:52 AM
It was a shocker today! The deficiencies in our defence are looking more glaring, plus the fact that we didn't' sign a number 6 !!!!

Anyway, I have faith in our owners to try and fix these problems in the next two windows.

HughieG
03-09-2023, 08:51 AM
Just like with Rafa, Eddie’s subs can seem quite puzzling. That’s about the only thing you can question him on IMO.

He’s a great manager and we’re lucky to have him. If anything, he’s also learning as he goes along, this position is new territory for him - playing Champions League, being at a club with a certain amount of means available etc. I don’t care that’s he’s not “elite” yet - he will be.

GBruno
03-09-2023, 08:57 AM
In all seriousness, I am not sure our players have the mentality to sort this slump out. They look weak as ****. When weasel faced ****s like Nunez have more fight than your enter team, you are in trouble.

If we **** up against Brentford, Howe is in real trouble. Not that I think he should be.

My worry is that there is some behind the scenes crap going on. Something is not right. I think Howe has been massively frustrated in the transfer market. There is no way he is happy with the squad, despite what he says.

Scott Kirkland
03-09-2023, 10:56 AM
There was talk about the club trying to renegotiate the squads bonus system, Could they be pissed about that.

Kal
03-09-2023, 11:38 AM
There was talk about the club trying to renegotiate the squads bonus system, Could they be pissed about that.

That would be a very unprofessional stance. True pro's give their all regardless.

Nufcian
04-09-2023, 07:47 AM
Think I’ve calmed down a lot now, still have reservations but distance brings perspective.

I still think the midfield need’s sorted, and I still think Bruno and Big Jo are not performing to the levels they set themselves.

I also still think that we are so predictable that 90%+ of our play is going down the right, and that boils my p!as when it is Miggy we are expecting to deliver when he has a history of 5 seasons of not delivering and half a season of delivering.

But…

The players not performing in midfield are great players, there’s something wrong at the minute but I’m trusting Howe can sort that.

When Hall comes in the having Hall and Gordon/Barnes down the left might mean we spread our build up and attacking play down both flanks… I’m assuming that at some point this season Hall will become the main LB

Miggy situation worries me most out of all my concerns, no one disputes his work rate or the fact he smiles a lot… but he isn’t delivering now and doesn’t have a history that convinces me he will… and it’s all okay saying we have had hard games, but those are the games we should be demanding the first choice players deliver in, and where we need them to if we are going to rotate the squad more this season.

As for the run of games… we had 1 more point for the same fixtures last season (0-0 at the Amex)… so it won’t define our season, not having a long slump where we fail to score at all and bang our heads against this seasons Leeds equivalents will.