PDA

View Full Version : Will we stay up?

The Bedlington Terrier
04-09-2023, 06:20 AM
No agenda, no criticism of VK but a simple question, "Will we stay up?"

SAMMY BUBBLY
04-09-2023, 06:29 AM
Current results suggest No but I expect things to improve so Yes we will stay up.

sinkov
04-09-2023, 06:42 AM
Too soon to say, we've lost against three of the best teams in the PL but beat a mediocre PL team in Forest. As ever, we only need to be above three teams to stay up. Ask me again after a dozen more games.

The Bedlington Terrier
04-09-2023, 07:09 AM
Too soon to say, we've lost against three of the best teams in the PL but beat a mediocre PL team in Forest. As ever, we only need to be above three teams to stay up. Ask me again after a dozen more games.

I read this and it makes me think we are in serious bother: "Not sure Vinni has got the balance right in this window, despite spending a lot of money. He needed to strengthen the squad sufficiently to ensure we stay in the PL, and at the same time sign players with the potential to improve and increase in value, to sell on at a profit.

He's certainly signed plenty of players whose value could increase, whether he's signed enough players with the ability to keep us at this level, I'm not so sure."

Swissclaret
04-09-2023, 08:38 AM
It is far too early to tell. VK does need to come up with some changes. I think one season we went 10 matches without a win and still stayed up?

My only comment to sinkov’s post is that I hope that the «*old faces*» will not be overlooked. Brownhill was one of our best players against Spurs. Corke was better than Berge, who was anonymous along with Cullen. JBG was ineffective but I don’t think he makes much difference.

My biggest question mark is why VK thinks Roberts is better at LB than Taylor. We need some experienced men at the back. Taylor is proven at this level, can get forward and can deliver a ball. Apart from that he is a brave defender who takes no sh*t.

Quicknick
04-09-2023, 08:54 AM
Yes!

Old Lancastrian
04-09-2023, 10:29 AM
Our next game is Forest - how we go on against them will indicate what the rest of the season could be like.
They will let us have possession and hit us on the counter - their forwards are strong and quick and they know how to defend. Their manager has them well drilled.If we defend like we have been we will suffer.
Hopefully the break will allow us to reset and go again.We only need to be better than 3 other teams 🙏

FromTheDarkness
04-09-2023, 10:51 AM
Unless we change our ways quickly and get a result against Forrest then No.

FromTheDarkness
04-09-2023, 11:02 AM
Disagree
Villa looked Very average against Liverpool. And Spurs will finish no higher than 6th, we have made teams look like top 3 by gifting time and space.

Supersub6
04-09-2023, 11:05 AM
I honestly don't think that not getting a result in our fourth match of the season will say that we are definitely going down.
In any case, as long as we keep playing Vinnie football our fans will be happy even if we go down, they all moaned about 'Dyche ball' and he only gave us 7 seasons in the PL.
Keep smiling folks ----it's only a game -------and ------it's corrupt anyway.

chastenor
04-09-2023, 01:56 PM
The team we had last season would stay up without any bother. This team won't. What on earth has VK done?

Quicknick
04-09-2023, 02:23 PM
I don't buy this argument that the new team is inferior. Let's come back to this after 10 games.

The Bedlington Terrier
04-09-2023, 02:44 PM
The team we had last season would stay up without any bother. This team won't. What on earth has VK done?

The problem VK has is that six of last season's promotion winning squad were loanees and he has not really replaced them with better quality or in Maatsen's case not at all.

Deadlydave
04-09-2023, 03:39 PM
The problem VK has is that six of last season's promotion winning squad were loanees and he has not really replaced them with better quality or in Maatsen's case not at all.

BT, now we are really touching the big issue with the transfer window. Only 1 of 5 loan players committed to us and that was literally our first signing of the window! More than Maatsen, I think Tella and his pace and directness are going to be a massive miss for us. Could we also not have got another season loan for THB than signing one of the other numerous CB we now have?

outwoodclaret
05-09-2023, 03:47 AM
It is far too early to tell. VK does need to come up with some changes. I think one season we went 10 matches without a win and still stayed up?

My only comment to sinkov’s post is that I hope that the «*old faces*» will not be overlooked. Brownhill was one of our best players against Spurs. Corke was better than Berge, who was anonymous along with Cullen. JBG was ineffective but I don’t think he makes much difference.

My biggest question mark is why VK thinks Roberts is better at LB than Taylor. We need some experienced men at the back. Taylor is proven at this level, can get forward and can deliver a ball. Apart from that he is a brave defender who takes no sh*t.

Indeed when Gareth Southgate started playing Trippier at left back we said this was idiotic and in that case Gareth was still able to select an established right back. For Spurs VK moved his best right back Roberts and played him on the left but did not have a right back to call on to fill the space vacated by Roberts. At one stroke the defensive problems at full back were made worse on both wings! We need to sort out the defensive line up certainly and find the right midfield blend. Cullen and Brownhill should both start imo with Berge on the bench.

It is too early to call our season after three games which have exposed our limitations at trying to play attacking possession football against teams who are far better organised and with far better players than we met in the Championship. I certainly do not want to revert to the Dyche era. We will know after about 10 games how we are likely to fare this season. There is no point now bemoaning the fact that we do not have THB, Maatsen or Tella. We have what we have and I do not think it is beyond the realms of possibility that we can fashion an effective team out of the players we actually do have.

The Bedlington Terrier
05-09-2023, 06:46 AM
Well said Sir Outwood. :o

Tap in MN
05-09-2023, 08:47 PM

Good point BT. We are NOT the same team and are involved at a significantly higher level. Too early to tell as Sinkov says but VK's selections are puzzling.

chastenor
07-09-2023, 07:32 PM
VK's signing of Foster is proving to be a good thing, but it took him a year before he got up to speed. We can't afford to wait a year for the new players to click into place

The Bedlington Terrier
12-09-2023, 03:53 PM
This was posted on Facebook, we look all out of kilter to me...

It is missing Tresor, Massengo and Odobert but still only one left back and VK has no interest in playing him. >:(

chastenor
12-09-2023, 06:39 PM
Monday will tell us a lot about where this team is heading.

malwayne
12-09-2023, 10:17 PM
Monday will tell us a lot about where this team is heading.

We’ll get a result of some sort alongside the River Trent. We’ll show the Sky viewers why we were the best team last season.

The Bedlington Terrier
13-09-2023, 03:30 AM
We’ll get a result of some sort alongside the River Trent. We’ll show the Sky viewers why we were the best team last season.

I fear another defeat is on the cards, the shape of the team is all wrong and now no Ekdal. :blue:

kritichris
13-09-2023, 09:07 AM
Are you up early BT or going to bed late? Try sleeping more, it should bring back your optimism.

sinkov
13-09-2023, 09:15 AM
We need something from this game, even if it's only a decent performance, something to indicate we'll be OK at this level. It might be one of those games I'm watching from behind the settee though. I am not confident, like BT says, the squad looks all over the place, cobbling together a winning PL team from it does not look easy.

The Bedlington Terrier
13-09-2023, 09:22 AM
Are you up early BT or going to bed late? Try sleeping more, it should bring back your optimism.

My wife is quite poorly at present k_c, the doctor was debating whether to hospitalise her yesterday. I was awake most of the night making sure she was OK. Thankfully the "magic bullet" tablets the doc prescribed her seems to have kicked in this morning. I hope she's well enough to sort the tea out tonight. >:)

sinkov
13-09-2023, 09:26 AM
My best wishes to Mrs BT, hopefully the magic bullets keep working.

Supersub6
13-09-2023, 10:46 AM
Hope that Mrs BT recovers quickly and the magic bullets do their thing.
Remember that Nottm Forest v Burnley is just another game and will be decided by VAR more than likely, so why worry because there are still 34 matches to play after that.

kritichris
13-09-2023, 12:05 PM
Sorry to hear that BT, give her a hug but only after she's made your tea.

Swissclaret
13-09-2023, 12:36 PM
All the best to both of you. Hopefully, Mrs BT will soon be better.

chastenor
13-09-2023, 01:19 PM
All the best to both of you. Hopefully, Mrs BT will soon be better.

Amen to that

chastenor
13-09-2023, 01:20 PM
VK has had a couple of weeks to work on the team, let's see how he is progressing.

The Bedlington Terrier
13-09-2023, 02:13 PM
Thanks guys, she seems to be on the mend but Monday night I thought she'd had it. :blue:

I've even organised the tea. B)

WillPark
13-09-2023, 03:12 PM
Well done with the tea BT :)
Good to hear she is feeling better!

alfinyalcabo
13-09-2023, 06:40 PM
Just seen this,hope she on themend BT,send her my good wishes. 👍

The Bedlington Terrier
14-09-2023, 07:52 AM
Just seen this,hope she on themend BT,send her my good wishes. ��

Thanks Alfie.

ClaretinBudapest
14-09-2023, 03:53 PM
Thanks guys, she seems to be on the mend but Monday night I thought she'd had it. :blue:

I've even organised the tea. B)

Tell your nearest and dearest to get well soon BT.

wanderlust
15-09-2023, 10:39 AM
Hope Mrs BT recovers soon amigo.

As regards you staying up....I think VK has found it trickier to replace quality loan players who took the lower level in their stride with players who can cope against top quality opposition every week and he's having to readjust his original thinking.

VK's desire to play his way is admirable but tricky to achieve on a budget where he can't afford players of the quality he was but he ain't stupid and he'll find a way of making it work with what you've got.

Realistically your target for the first season back is to finish in the top half of the mini-league of relegation candidates and that is eminently do-able.
Luton, Bournemouth, Sheff U, Wolves and potentially Fulham are the ones to get ahead of.
Everton might be in the mix but their new owners may inject a bunch of cash in the January window to keep them up and Florist already have done so we'll have to wait and see.

It's very early doors - remember Newcastle with all their big money players are only 3 points ahead of you having played a game more - so league position means nothing at this stage.

Focus on staying in touch with the mini league teams and see where you are in a couple of months' time.

Survival is achievable.

chastenor
18-09-2023, 09:35 PM
Good performance tonight, with VK finally getting the team more or less right. Forest are a decent side but we matched them and were VARd out of two points

The Bedlington Terrier
19-09-2023, 08:47 AM
Good performance tonight, with VK finally getting the team more or less right. Forest are a decent side but we matched them and were VARd out of two points

The problem is the PGMOL and the EPL have already decided Sheffield United's and Burnley's faces don't fit in the top flight.

I think they will suffer the Hatters for a season and then return them to the Championship.

No matter what Kompany does we are f*ucked. :mad:

wmdave_b
19-09-2023, 09:49 AM
Hope that Mrs BT recovers quickly and the magic bullets do their thing.
Remember that Nottm Forest v Burnley is just another game and will be decided by VAR more than likely, so why worry because there are still 34 matches to play after that.

Spot on Supersub, sure was, scandalous.
Hope Mrs BT feeling good today and you got a better night sleep!

wmdave_b
19-09-2023, 10:00 AM
No matter what Kompany does we are f*ucked.

Kompany did well to dodge the questions last night and not get embroiled in it. That will serve him well. The ref got both barrels of Bellers however. VK more than smart enough to keep us in this division. He's settling things down nicely and the team taking shape.
JGB was a solid option to start last night imo, but I think Tresor will be starting there with Benny to be used when required and an impact sub. Same on the left with 2 great wingers.
Good times ahead methinks.

sinkov
19-09-2023, 10:30 AM
After last night I can get off the fence. Yes, we'll stay up.

wmdave_b
19-09-2023, 10:35 AM

I'm with you mate.

The Bedlington Terrier
19-09-2023, 10:42 AM

With the PGMOL and the VAR operation conspiring against us we have no chance.

I was at Tottenham and Villa away the season before last and the two forces combined to nick FOUR points off us.

Same tune different dance, we have no chance, Heckingbottom is right the EPL is a gigantic fraud.

wmdave_b
19-09-2023, 10:46 AM
Brighton and Brentford have found a way to buck that trend BT. We are operating on exactly the same lines. We're gonna be just fine, Heckingbottom has shot himself in the foot, VK has endeared himself further.

Swissclaret
19-09-2023, 12:13 PM
I think the showing against Forest gave cause for optimism. VK keeps stressing that the team is not a finished product.

We need to cut out some of the sloppy passing as that can hurt us. For some reason, in every match so far, Beyer has gone on a run through midfield. Each time he has lost the ball, leaving us exposed at the back. I am all for attack, but I suggest he curb that tendency as it is far harder in the PL. We also need to field a settled defensive unit.

As has been commented, Trafford was well protected against Forest. A back four of Roberts, Beyer, Taylor and one other would be a sound unit, with both Cullen and Brownhill protecting them as box-to-box midfielders.

The Bedlington Terrier
19-09-2023, 12:20 PM
Brighton and Brentford have found a way to buck that trend BT. We are operating on exactly the same lines. We're gonna be just fine, Heckingbottom has shot himself in the foot, VK has endeared himself further.

It's points not platitudes that will keep us up wmd, I just cannot see us mustering 34 + >:(

The Bedlington Terrier
19-09-2023, 12:22 PM
I think the showing against Forest gave cause for optimism. VK keeps stressing that the team is not a finished product.

We need to cut out some of the sloppy passing as that can hurt us. For some reason, in every match so far, Beyer has gone on a run through midfield. Each time he has lost the ball, leaving us exposed at the back. I am all for attack, but I suggest he curb that tendency as it is far harder in the PL. We also need to field a settled defensive unit.

As has been commented, Trafford was well protected against Forest. A back four of Roberts, Beyer, Taylor and one other would be a sound unit, with both Cullen and Brownhill protecting them as box-to-box midfielders.

There's nowt wrong with Al-Dakhil, VK needs to keep playing him and Beyer together and let them forge a proper understanding.

Swissclaret
19-09-2023, 06:13 PM
There's nowt wrong with Al-Dakhil, VK needs to keep playing him and Beyer together and let them forge a proper understanding.

I agree BT. I could neither remember his name nor spell it.:O

Balanbam00
21-09-2023, 01:32 PM
Best wishes to Mrs BT, life is like that ''ups and downs'', take good care of her and she will be alright. Anyway several days have past so all's well now?

The Bedlington Terrier
21-09-2023, 02:58 PM
Best wishes to Mrs BT, life is like that ''ups and downs'', take good care of her and she will be alright. Anyway several days have past so all's well now?

Thanks for asking Balan, she's suffering with an acute chest infection and still having difficulty in breathing. We have been in and out of hospital A & E and the doctor's surgery like yo-yos and still no real sign of improvement.

I'm sure things will improve soon.

How are you my mate?