PDA

View Full Version : O/T:- Burchnall to Wolves

keldsyke
04-09-2023, 08:23 PM
Has joined the Wolves coaching staff

the_anticlough
04-09-2023, 08:43 PM
Has joined the Wolves coaching staff

Gulp. He might be just a dismissal away from being (caretaker) manager of a Premiership club.
Unless Shaun Derry pips him to it.

optipez
04-09-2023, 09:02 PM
Failing upwards.

matt_magpie
04-09-2023, 09:10 PM
Gulp. He might be just a dismissal away from being (caretaker) manager of a Premiership club.

I was thinking that myself, gets put in charge the last 10, keeps them up and the world sees him as the best next thing 😂😂😂😂
Tbf I think he probably is a very good coach, just not so sure he is a good leader.

queenslandpie
04-09-2023, 09:17 PM
Nobody knows what his coaching is like but the big obvious difference between him and Williams is leadership. You can't bolt that on you either got it or you 'aint. Good luck to IB.

countygump
04-09-2023, 09:28 PM
I was thinking that myself, gets put in charge the last 10, keeps them up and the world sees him as the best next thing 😂😂😂😂
Tbf I think he probably is a very good coach, just not so sure he is a good leader.

This^^^.
Good coach? Without a doubt. Good inspirational leader who could persuade his lads to give their all and go the extra mile? Not so sure about that.

OP67
04-09-2023, 10:31 PM
Nobody knows what his coaching is like but the big obvious difference between him and Williams is leadership. You can't bolt that on you either got it or you 'aint. Good luck to IB.

Agreed, he seemed to have the coaching head but certainly not head coach/manager material. That showed at both Notts and FGR. Good luck to him, maybe he'll get Doyle a job....making the tea.

PedroTheFisherman66
04-09-2023, 11:24 PM
Agreed, he seemed to have the coaching head but certainly not head coach/manager material. That showed at both Notts and FGR. Good luck to him, maybe he'll get Doyle a job....making the tea.

Good coach hopefully for him his FGR experience might just have turned him into a better manager.

nw6pie
05-09-2023, 04:55 AM

I wonder if IB and Derry will be at Meadow Lane next week for that annoying EFL tie. Given Wolves’ poor start to the season, they may not be at Molineux that long.

Speaking of ex-managers, I see Neal Ardley is favourite for the York City job.

slack_pie
05-09-2023, 05:23 AM
Yeah, IB clearly has ability as a coach. This type of job suits him perfectly. He just doesn't have what it takes to be the main man.

ThaiPie
05-09-2023, 05:53 AM
Yeah, IB clearly has ability as a coach. This type of job suits him perfectly. He just doesn't have what it takes to be the main man.

Posters are making easy comments. Actually, IB left Notts and wasn't sacked, so presumably the owners were happy with him as the leader of the team.
He then took on something of a basket case job. and I think another manager has since left FGR.

Many managers, such as Brian Clough at Leeds, have quickly left a club, and then subsequently gone on to do great things.

queenslandpie
05-09-2023, 06:46 AM
Posters are making easy comments. Actually, IB left Notts and wasn't sacked, so presumably the owners were happy with him as the leader of the team.
He then took on something of a basket case job. and I think another manager has since left FGR.

Many managers, such as Brian Clough at Leeds, have quickly left a club, and then subsequently gone on to do great things.

I dont think there are too many people who will disagree that LW is a miles better leader than IB. And I think our owners would agree as well.

ThaiPie
05-09-2023, 07:14 AM
Agree, 100% about LW.

I was just pointing out that IB hasn't done anything too bad, and may go on to be successful in future leadership roles.

Magpies1959
05-09-2023, 09:13 AM
IB'S stock with Notts fans was always going to go down, after the way in which he left us, and also with him joining such a basket case club. He maybe needs those extra years as a coach, before he shows his true potential as a manager, much like LW.

Jampie
05-09-2023, 10:20 AM
Best of luck to him. He did a good job here IMO (got us into the playoffs, was never in doubt for me), but of course I agree LW is better.

I hope to see IB as manager of another team some day, hopefully not in a widowmaker of a job like his Forest Green stint.

countygump
05-09-2023, 10:45 AM
Best of luck to him. He did a good job here IMO (got us into the playoffs, was never in doubt for me), but of course I agree LW is better.

I hope to see IB as manager of another team some day, hopefully not in a widowmaker of a job like his Forest Green stint.

In other news could artificial pitches be going out of fashion?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1698682101736915250

magpie_mania
05-09-2023, 12:01 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Oldstripy
05-09-2023, 01:27 PM
Agree, 100% about LW.

I was just pointing out that IB hasn't done anything too bad, and may go on to be successful in future leadership roles.

Sorry I have to disagree with you,

I sit gust to the right of the home dugout watching the last playoff game and watching IB who looked disinterested and did not say anything to the players as the game was in play.

To me and others it seemed that IB had the FGR job before the game stated I don't know if he had informed the brothers before the game or not.

ThaiPie
05-09-2023, 01:42 PM
In other news could artificial pitches be going out of fashion?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1698682101736915250

A bit snooty of you Countygump?, let others have their opinion.

PedroTheFisherman66
05-09-2023, 02:10 PM

Completely agree , he was dealt a raw deal at FGR..!
All part of his learning curve.

matt_magpie
05-09-2023, 02:41 PM

I’m not so sure they were that happy. I assume in his second season (the full season) finishing 6th was an underachievement to them compared to the budget, you have to imagine it was the 4th or 5th highest.
The fact they appeared to not even remotely stand in his way and that he went to FGR makes me wonder. I think possibly he knew the pressure was going to be full on the next season after 2 play off failures from the fans and the owners and with FGR 2 levels up probably thought it wouldn’t have that much pressure being such a small club that it probably seemed an easy out, could be wrong.

countygump
05-09-2023, 03:46 PM
A bit snooty of you Countygump?, let others have their opinion.

In other news:

Gaffer up for Aug M.O.T.M award.

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2023/september/williams-aug-motm-nomination-040923/

magpie_mania
05-09-2023, 04:35 PM
Sorry I have to disagree with you,

I sit gust to the right of the home dugout watching the last playoff game and watching IB who looked disinterested and did not say anything to the players as the game was in play.

To me and others it seemed that IB had the FGR job before the game stated I don't know if he had informed the brothers before the game or not.

I am sure that even if he knew he was going he would have wanted a promotion on his CV. He seemed disappointed to me after the game.

I would have loved to have a 'sliding doors' moment and be able to see what would have happened had the player not committed that stupid foul with seconds left.

Lots of other things like that - would love to see where we are now if the Brexit vote had gone the other way for example.

Jeekay56
05-09-2023, 04:46 PM
In other news:

Gaffer up for Aug M.O.T.M award.

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2023/september/williams-aug-motm-nomination-040923/

I didn't know Johnnie Jackson was manager at Wimbledon.

durhampie
05-09-2023, 05:55 PM
He would have been sacked if he hadn't jumped first. We had stagnated with no positional improvement on the previous season. There was also a soft underbelly within the team, in which he had no idea how to fix.. His match day interviews became repetitious, and at time times he looked to be somewhere else when being interviewed.
To me he was making a living off of is time with Graham Potter....

Chicken Balti Pie
05-09-2023, 07:12 PM
He would have been sacked if he hadn't jumped first. We had stagnated with no positional improvement on the previous season. There was also a soft underbelly within the team, in which he had no idea how to fix.. His match day interviews became repetitious, and at time times he looked to be somewhere else when being interviewed.
To me he was making a living off of is time with Graham Potter....

I doubt that, the fact it took a while to find his replacement suggests he wasn't close to getting sacked, I don't think the owners are the type to move without a plan in place.

Don't get me wrong, the fact they let him go shows they didn't think he was untouchable but I don't think he was imminently in danger. Just look at when, I think Portsmouth, came sniffing around LW, he was given a 5 year contract in days

magpie_mania
05-09-2023, 07:19 PM
I doubt that, the fact it took a while to find his replacement suggests he wasn't close to getting sacked, I don't think the owners are the type to move without a plan in place.

Don't get me wrong, the fact they let him go shows they didn't think he was untouchable but I don't think he was imminently in danger. Just look at when, I think Portsmouth, came sniffing around LW, he was given a 5 year contract in days

I doubt it too. Not seen that suggested before.

marky
05-09-2023, 07:22 PM
That was a truly horrible week, we got knocked out the play offs, Wrexham and Chesterfield did too which meant it would be just as hard (turned out to be even harder) to get up the next season and that lot got promoted to the Premier League. The one crumb of comfort was this bloke leaving, thank god, he would never have got Notts up.

Elite_Pie
05-09-2023, 08:01 PM
There was also a soft underbelly within the team, in which he had no idea how to fix.

Agree, he did the pretty but ineffective stuff, but he couldn’t do the crucial other part which turns losers into winners.

durhampie
05-09-2023, 08:12 PM

Dont be fooled these guys are certainly no mugs, and must have known that by keeping him would have resulted in us being in the NL for another season. Which was not acceptable to them...

queenslandpie
05-09-2023, 10:52 PM
Dont be fooled these guys are certainly no mugs, and must have known that by keeping him would have resulted in us being in the NL for another season. Which was not acceptable to them...

If they had wanted to hang onto him they would have fought a lot harder than they did I think as evidenced with some of the extended improved contracts handed out to our top performers like Macca.

uysapie
05-09-2023, 10:55 PM
Agree, he did the pretty but ineffective stuff, but he couldn’t do the crucial other part which turns losers into winners.

He was never going to get us promoted as was said when he left.

Woodypie
05-09-2023, 11:20 PM

I hope to see IB as manager of another team some day, hopefully not in a widowmaker of a job like his Forest Green stint. He didn't do a good job here. It was less than expected. Therefore not good.

Jampie
06-09-2023, 04:26 PM
He didn't do a good job here. It was less than expected. Therefore not good.

At no point have the owners ever expected promotion from any particular manager.

Or are you talking about your own expectations? In which case, fair enough.

Chicken Balti Pie
06-09-2023, 05:20 PM
At no point have the owners ever expected promotion from any particular manager.

Indeed, the owners wanted promotion but they never demanded it, in fact many of their statements stated it's a very difficult league to get out of and the hoped to go up but we're not demanding anything

countygump
06-09-2023, 05:25 PM
Indeed, the owners wanted promotion but they never demanded it, in fact many of their statements stated it's a very difficult league to get out of and the hoped to go up but we're not demanding anything

As above. The owners have always stated since they took over the club that promotion is there aim but "It's a difficult League to get out of and it ain't gonna be that easy" was always a caveat. Which as we've found out over the last few seasons, is certainly true.

Mapperleypie
06-09-2023, 05:36 PM
Good luck to him. He was a step-up on NA and LW has been a massive improvement over him.

durhampie
06-09-2023, 05:40 PM

With the players and staff at his disposal , Charlie Chaplin would have got us into the play-offs..

SwalePie
06-09-2023, 05:49 PM
With the players and staff at his disposal , Charlie Chaplin would have got us into the play-offs..

Hmmm. Worth a look?

durhampie
06-09-2023, 05:51 PM

If they were aware of FGRs approach and thought that highly of him, then why didnt they offer IB a new long term contract ? I think the answer to that one is very easy to work out.. The Bros must have thought they had won the lottery..

legs77
06-09-2023, 10:30 PM
If they were aware of FGRs approach and thought that highly of him, then why didnt they offer IB a new long term contract ? I think the answer to that one is very easy to work out.. The Bros must have thought they had won the lottery..

As they were two leagues above us at the time and nobody shows loyalty in football.

I mean if we aren’t doing well you’d want him sacked so why should he stay if offered more cash and the move was above board ?

You don’t seem to really have a good word to say about anyone end of the day it is a CAREER / JOB good luck to him it’s not like he was a compete arsehole is it.

Williams is going to have people looking at him too if he carries on as he is and if got offered a good job you think he stays here ? I dont

lunaspie
06-09-2023, 10:50 PM
Hmmm. Worth a look?

I've heard he's the great dictator in the changing room.

Jampie
07-09-2023, 02:26 AM

Well admittedly he's already done a whole body of work in black and white, but I'd be concerned he would be too quiet as a manager and just going through the motions.

Also he's a lot deader than I like our managers to be, but that's just my opinion.

durhampie
07-09-2023, 08:58 AM
As they were two leagues above us at the time and nobody shows loyalty in football.

I mean if we aren’t doing well you’d want him sacked so why should he stay if offered more cash and the move was above board ?

You don’t seem to really have a good word to say about anyone end of the day it is a CAREER / JOB good luck to him it’s not like he was a compete arsehole is it.

Williams is going to have people looking at him too if he carries on as he is and if got offered a good job you think he stays here ? I dont

Being as most seem to believe IB was doing a sterling job, perhaps when Luke decides to move on we could entice Mr IB back...I'm sure that would please most on here....

thefulltenyards
07-09-2023, 09:17 AM
As we know the owners chose IB then LW, based on those two appointments (that us supporters basically knew nothing about either) I strongly suggest letting them pick the next one based on their track record. If the owners are happy I am happy.

Magpies1959
07-09-2023, 09:31 AM
Hopefully they won't be picking a new one for another five years.

Jeekay56
07-09-2023, 10:25 AM
As we know the owners chose IB then LW, based on those two appointments (that us supporters basically knew nothing about either) I strongly suggest letting them pick the next one based on their track record. If the owners are happy I am happy.

That's very magnanimous of you Daniel. I'm sure the Reedtz brothers will appreciate being allowed a say in the decision making.

BanjoPie
07-09-2023, 10:32 AM
Why are we talking about choosing a new manager???? - "Get a life chaps"

durhampie
07-09-2023, 11:43 AM
Why are we talking about choosing a new manager???? - "Get a life chaps"

We are not, its just some of the happy clappers showing their admiration for IB, and what a great job he did for us...

countygump
07-09-2023, 11:46 AM
That's very magnanimous of you Daniel. I'm sure the Reedtz brothers will appreciate being allowed a say in the decision making.

"Call me Daniel, call me Dan". "I'm desperate Dan". *classic*

https://youtu.be/QK3VVh06TPY

keldsyke
07-09-2023, 12:05 PM
We are not, its just some of the happy clappers showing their admiration for IB, and what a great job he did for us...

It was mind numbing the football, best thing that happened when he jumped ship, the timing of the appointment and him being appointed was bizarre and I think we missed out on being promoted earlier.

legs77
07-09-2023, 05:31 PM
Being as most seem to believe IB was doing a sterling job, perhaps when Luke decides to move on we could entice Mr IB back...I'm sure that would please most on here....

Nobody said that did they.

He wasnt great but wasnt terrible either.

His future is probably coaching and he has been at Anderlect and Wolves so they must see something in him.

Then again what do they know when they can listen to you instead ?!

matt_magpie
07-09-2023, 05:57 PM

Who? Think most people’s response to this and at the time was, good coach, not so great leader.
I don’t think anyone has waxed lyrical ever about IB too much as he lost 2 play offs and came 6th in his full season.
I think the only main positives I’ve seen is people said he was better than NA, which I think was debatable too.

thefulltenyards
07-09-2023, 05:59 PM
He was only bizarre because us fans hadn't heard of him, and he had operated overseas as a coach and head coach. Williams appointment was also a bit left field and no complaints so far.

The timing ceased to be bizarre when you heard that IB became available and was who the owners wanted and feared he would go elsewhere. That's all been explained.

Obviously subjective but the football was a clear step up for me from NA's version as we won more matches and scored a lot more goals. Far from mind numbing. Neither were terrible or even close.

One of the likely reasons why attendances also were up. Although NA got us closer to promotion by reaching the final. Overall he was a small improvement on his predecessor, with LW being a huge improvement.

Even if he doesn't get a manager's job in the EFL as the main man again to be hired by Anderlecht and Wolves says all you need to know about his coaching ability which we saw in his style of play. Maybe that's his calling.

Personally don't really care but wish him well.

marky
07-09-2023, 06:49 PM
Attendances went up under Burchnall because people were keen to go again after Covid, nothing to do with that prat at all.

legs77
07-09-2023, 08:59 PM
Attendances went up under Burchnall because people were keen to go again after Covid, nothing to do with that prat at all.

To some extent that is true but fans won’t keep going if they don’t like what they are seeing.

We did win most home games under him that helps too.

Footy is much bigger now due to social than it used to be we are getting bigger gates now than we did when Murphy/Curle were in charge and they were a league or two above with good win records.

Williams is an upgrade for sure and as I said a few years ago our owners know what they are doing they have a clear plan and that helps when some people were getting restless with them not saying many but some were.

Elite_Pie
07-09-2023, 09:37 PM
He was only bizarre because us fans hadn't heard of him, and he had operated overseas as a coach and head coach. Williams appointment was also a bit left field and no complaints so far.

The timing ceased to be bizarre when you heard that IB became available and was who the owners wanted and feared he would go elsewhere. That's all been explained.

Obviously subjective but the football was a clear step up for me from NA's version as we won more matches and scored a lot more goals. Far from mind numbing. Neither were terrible or even close.

One of the likely reasons why attendances also were up. Although NA got us closer to promotion by reaching the final. Overall he was a small improvement on his predecessor, with LW being a huge improvement.

Even if he doesn't get a manager's job in the EFL as the main man again to be hired by Anderlecht and Wolves says all you need to know about his coaching ability which we saw in his style of play. Maybe that's his calling.

Personally don't really care but wish him well.

To repeat myself, I’m sure laddo would agree with every word of that.

In fact, he posted very similar a hundred times.

PedroTheFisherman66
07-09-2023, 11:02 PM
To repeat myself, I’m sure laddo would agree with every word of that.

In fact, he posted very similar a hundred times.

I'm sure its only coincidence , as are the scores predicted for games , long shot 3-1 defeats. still it worked for the reigning YAP prediction champion I'm sure it will work for the next incumbent. Coincidence that such a lodged prediction is what ultimately won him the crown. The king is dead, long live the King

wiseoldmagpie
08-09-2023, 07:27 AM
IB was a competent coach, better than NA and not as good as LW.

IB seemed to have no personal buy-in to Notts, unlike both NA and LW.

LW is a huge upgrade on IB, and I prefer NA as a better man than IB for whom Notts were a stepping stone.

I don't think Durham is too far off in his assessment.

Woodypie
08-09-2023, 07:37 AM

The owners have repeatedly said they expect promotion. They didn't, as far as I recall, say "Burch, get us promotion or you are fired." But given the resources made available to him he failed. Simple as.

My expectations were Notts should get promoted back to FL. We didn't under Burch, simple as.

Jampie
08-09-2023, 10:40 AM
The owners have repeatedly said they expect promotion.

Never in any particular season. They've stated THAT many times. You just can't guarantee it. Hell, look at last season. Any other year we'd have been number one with a large gap to second. Instead we struggled through the playoffs with a few lucky breaks going our way for once.

thefulltenyards
09-09-2023, 11:45 AM
They did indeed expect promotion but as above as far as I am aware they never gave a public timescale of when they expected it.

I suspect the owners view success and failure of those pre LW seasons differently to us fans. They will have seen progression each season and building blocks being put in place to lead to a successful promotion.

Davy500
09-09-2023, 04:04 PM

For me he did not seem to do much Burchnall, but saying that its difficult to judge, LW had the benefit of Langstaff and Scott IN the NL who between them scored around 60 goals, I say thats the difference between the IB and LW

Elite_Pie
09-09-2023, 04:40 PM
For me he did not seem to do much Burchnall, but saying that its difficult to judge, LW had the benefit of Langstaff and Scott IN the NL who between them scored around 60 goals, I say thats the difference between the IB and LW

Couldn't disagree more. Luke Williams is twice the manager Burchnall will ever be.

Woodypie
10-09-2023, 12:27 AM
Never in any particular season. They've stated THAT many times. You just can't guarantee it. Hell, look at last season. Any other year we'd have been number one with a large gap to second. Instead we struggled through the playoffs with a few lucky breaks going our way for once. Not sure what this is all about. Am I missing something? Burch was a manager. He aimed for promotion. He didn't. Luke did. Luke given five year contract. Burch, off you trot. Am I missing something or are you still hankering after the band wagon?

PedroTheFisherman66
10-09-2023, 01:33 AM
Yes, all this is fine but what about Ardley.It's not fair he doesn't get a mention!

Woodypie
10-09-2023, 07:22 AM
Don't get me started on Ardley!

Carlton_Pie
10-09-2023, 07:31 AM
Don't get me started on Ardley!

Saint Neal?

Can't stand the bloke tbh, a complete fraud that exploited our position to keep the pennies rolling in.

queenslandpie
10-09-2023, 07:43 AM
Couldn't disagree more. Luke Williams is twice the manager Burchnall will ever be.

Which is why LW is still a manager and IB has some ten bob coaching job.

OP67
10-09-2023, 08:34 AM
I wonder if he'll be at the game on Tuesday ;D

Jampie
10-09-2023, 11:32 AM
Not sure what this is all about. Am I missing something? Burch was a manager. He aimed for promotion. He didn't. Luke did. Luke given five year contract. Burch, off you trot. Am I missing something or are you still hankering after the band wagon?

I don't know if you're missing something or you're making stuff up. IB left of his own accord and was the owners' first manager hire. They were in no way going to sack him after one year in charge.

Especially not without a replacement lined up, which when he left they absolutely did not have.

And every one of their public statements about promotion included the notion that you just can't expect it in any particular year, especially in the national league with its single automatic spot.

Again, in case it's been missed, I think LW is the better manager (although probably by a narrower margin than most people think) and I'm very glad in the end that IB left so we could find that out.

thefulltenyards
10-09-2023, 01:56 PM
Something is definitely being missed. I would imagine most Notts managers aim for promotion each season.

As for Ardley, interesting press release headline when appointed at York, he's got his last three clubs to playoff finals. Yes only won 1 of the 3 finals but that is still an impressive stat.

Chicken Balti Pie
10-09-2023, 02:47 PM
Saint Neal?

Can't stand the bloke tbh, a complete fraud that exploited our position to keep the pennies rolling in.

Yet he worked without getting paid for several months when he could have jumped ship and gotten a job that would have given him his salary on time. Also spent majority of lockdown helping the local community and getting the players involved as well. But other than that, he's an awful human being right...

The_Pie_Man
10-09-2023, 02:53 PM
Yet he worked without getting paid for several months when he could have jumped ship and gotten a job that would have given him his salary on time. Also spent majority of lockdown helping the local community and getting the players involved as well. But other than that, he's an awful human being right...

Not Neal bloody Ardley again!

Iremongersrighthand
10-09-2023, 03:12 PM
I think Neal was hampered a little by the owners policy of playing a passing game. Neal played a lot of his career at Wimbledon, a team not noted for a slick style of play. Left to his own devices he is a good manager and probably should be managing at a higher level. But, l wouldn't swop LW for him 👍

PedroTheFisherman66
10-09-2023, 03:13 PM
Something is definitely being missed. I would imagine most Notts managers aim for promotion each season.

As for Ardley, interesting press release headline when appointed at York, he's got his last three clubs to playoff finals. Yes only won 1 of the 3 finals but that is still an impressive stat.

Well said that man.Any chance you could perhaps start a bandwagon or even a choo choo train wagon for him over at York..?

Elite_Pie
10-09-2023, 03:27 PM
Well said that man.Any chance you could perhaps start a bandwagon or even a choo choo train wagon for him over at York..?

Do you remember that poster on here who passionately defended Ardley against any criticism right up until he was sacked, and when he was sacked he invented the Burchnall Bandwagon? He went "chips all in" on Burchnall leading us to success, so no surprise we don't see him any more.

upthemaggies
10-09-2023, 03:45 PM
Also spent majority of lockdown helping the local community and getting the players involved as well. But other than that, he's an awful human being right...

So he spent the majority of lockdown not being locked down? Ardley the super spreader, who would have though it.

I'm guessing what you really mean is that he seized the opportunity to get out of the house and have something to do by volunteering for deliveries and phone some people up for a chat, which is fair enough but that doesn't make him a competent manager nor disguise the real reason he took the Notts job in the first place and stuck around when he wasn't getting paid.

He wasn't ready to return to management but had a price. He took the job purely for the money and was hardly going to forgo that money less than a year into a lucrative deal, which I don't blame him for but it was a disaster for the club and I do blame him for being useless.

Would the owners have extended his contract when they first arrived had say he had 6 months left to go? We'll never know, but I reckon if they did give an honest answer to that question it would be a no and they'd have brought their own man in from day 1, or worst case scenario officered him a short term extension deal which he would have turned down.

Chicken Balti Pie
10-09-2023, 03:55 PM
So he spent the majority of lockdown not being locked down? Ardley the super spreader, who would have though it.

I'm guessing what you really mean is that he seized the opportunity to get out of the house and have something to do by volunteering for deliveries and phone some people up for a chat, which is fair enough but that doesn't make him a competent manager nor disguise the real reason he took the Notts job in the first place and stuck around when he wasn't getting paid.

He wasn't ready to return to management but had a price. He took the job purely for the money and was hardly going to forgo that money less than a year into a lucrative deal, which I don't blame him for but it was a disaster for the club and I do blame him for being useless.

Would the owners have extended his contract when they first arrived had say he had 6 months left to go? We'll never know, but I reckon if they did give an honest answer to that question it would be a no and they'd have brought their own man in from day 1, or worst case scenario officered him a short term extension deal which he would have turned down.

Re-read what I said regards to your first paragraph and tell me where I said he left the house. He helped many in the local community who needed to talk to people and some help, he's a decent human being

Elite_Pie
10-09-2023, 03:57 PM

That sums up my thoughts on Ardley pretty well.

A decent bloke by all accounts, but I will always remember him as the man who took Notts County out of the Football League.

matt_magpie
10-09-2023, 06:36 PM

I agree he took it at the wrong time, I think he went straight into coaching at Cardiff after playing and then to Wimbledon, he did need a break as he alluded to when he came and then coming to a club that was a circus at the time.
It would be interesting what Swindon fans think of LW, relegated under him but again seemed all over the place off the pitch.

Davy500
12-09-2023, 12:18 PM
They did indeed expect promotion but as above as far as I am aware they never gave a public timescale of when they expected it.

I suspect the owners view success and failure of those pre LW seasons differently to us fans. They will have seen progression each season and building blocks being put in place to lead to a successful promotion.

Got to like the owners they want to get to the top - a very intersting approach, get players and coaches on the cheap, then feed of their hunger and rise the EFL

SwalePie
12-09-2023, 01:54 PM
Got to like the owners they want to get to the top - a very intersting approach, get players and coaches on the cheap, then feed of their hunger and rise the EFL

Eh?