PDA

View Full Version : For those who doubted the signing of David McGoldrick

Elite_Pie
18-09-2023, 06:49 PM
From the definitely biased BBC:

Notts County boss Luke Williams says striker David McGoldrick is a "dream" to have in League Two.

McGoldrick, who was playing in the Premier League for Sheffield United just two years ago and scored 22 goals in League One for Derby last season, returned to his boyhood side in June.

The ex-Republic of Ireland forward, 35, scored in Friday's win at Salford after missing two games with a slight injury.

"He was excellent all night," Williams told BBC Radio Nottingham.

"Throughout the game he worked so hard for the team, to press the ball, and he has moments of quality. It also helps us when we try to play more direct.

"He is a big player and it's a dream to have him really."

McGoldrick said he could not resist the chance to be a football romantic when deciding to se-sign for Notts, having turned down a new deal with Derby in the league above to re-join the Magpies on their return to the English Football League.

His goal against Salford - a well-taken first-half header to open the scoring - was his third of the season and helped the Magpies temporarily take top spot in the division.

Williams, who has previously said McGoldrick's impact on the Meadow Lane club has been "impossible" to ignore, praised the striker for his willingness to work hard in England's fourth-tier - a level he has hardly ever played at.

"In the opening stages of the game it was very quick and David somehow managed to play one-touch a few times because he is so brave and has such great awareness," Williams said.

"Full credit to him for how hard he works and sacrifices for the team.

"I've moved his position a few times and I know that's frustrating for him, but he does every role I asked him to do brilliantly well."

TSANHO
18-09-2023, 06:52 PM
From the definitely biased BBC:

Notts County boss Luke Williams says striker David McGoldrick is a "dream" to have in League Two.

McGoldrick, who was playing in the Premier League for Sheffield United just two years ago and scored 22 goals in League One for Derby last season, returned to his boyhood side in June.

The ex-Republic of Ireland forward, 35, scored in Friday's win at Salford after missing two games with a slight injury.

"He was excellent all night," Williams told BBC Radio Nottingham.

"Throughout the game he worked so hard for the team, to press the ball, and he has moments of quality. It also helps us when we try to play more direct.

"He is a big player and it's a dream to have him really."

McGoldrick said he could not resist the chance to be a football romantic when deciding to se-sign for Notts, having turned down a new deal with Derby in the league above to re-join the Magpies on their return to the English Football League.

His goal against Salford - a well-taken first-half header to open the scoring - was his third of the season and helped the Magpies temporarily take top spot in the division.

Williams, who has previously said McGoldrick's impact on the Meadow Lane club has been "impossible" to ignore, praised the striker for his willingness to work hard in England's fourth-tier - a level he has hardly ever played at.

"In the opening stages of the game it was very quick and David somehow managed to play one-touch a few times because he is so brave and has such great awareness," Williams said.

"Full credit to him for how hard he works and sacrifices for the team.

"I've moved his position a few times and I know that's frustrating for him, but he does every role I asked him to do brilliantly well."

I saw this and instead of feeling good about it the pessimist in me immediately thought that Didzy wasn’t happy with his position and would fall out with the boss 😂🤦*♂️

marky
18-09-2023, 08:20 PM
Derby fans are really missing him, during their after match phone in's fans are constantly bemoaning him not being there anymore.

ncfcog
18-09-2023, 08:29 PM
We really are so lucky to have him here. Speaks volumes about LW and the club in general that we managed to secure his signature.

kill_the_drum
18-09-2023, 08:47 PM
I think there’s only one Notts fan on the planet that doubted it!

queenslandpie
18-09-2023, 09:00 PM
Have to say I did wonder if he would put the effort in at this level. Wondering has ceased.

Magpies1959
18-09-2023, 09:34 PM
New obsession for EP lol

BigFatPie
18-09-2023, 09:36 PM
I don’t think we’ve seen the best of him by a long stretch. Reminds me a bit of Bostock when he first came into the team. Clearly quality, but not quite attuned with his team mates yet.

Mud Pie
19-09-2023, 04:49 AM
I thought he was ineffective and looked a bit lost for the first couple games or so. He's been getting better and better and thought he was really good against Salford.

A senior 'member' of this very board suggested he was going to come good when I moaned about his form, and they were right. So far so good at least.

I watched a few of the Derby highlights from last season, and he's all over them. Potentially season changing signing.

thefulltenyards
19-09-2023, 09:01 PM
It never fails to amaze and amuse me when fans write off a new signing after only a handful of games. Happens at all clubs and we are no different.

I concur with others so far McGoldrick is following the same early path as Bostock last season and as we know that is a very good sign. JB is now one of our top performers and key to how we play.