PDA

View Full Version : Football Focus could be axed

OP67
22-09-2023, 07:43 PM
It seems the viewing figures have gone down by a 3rd. Does anybody on here actually watch it these days? Personally I don't as I'm fed up with the BBC ticking boxes rather then employing talented people for the job!!!

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/bbc-shutdown-fears-legendary-football-8772929

bule1
22-09-2023, 07:50 PM
Not interested in the elitist league stuff.

jackal2
22-09-2023, 07:56 PM
It seems the viewing figures have gone down by a 3rd. Does anybody on here actually watch it these days? Personally I don't as I'm fed up with the BBC ticking boxes rather then employing talented people for the job!!!

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/bbc-shutdown-fears-legendary-football-8772929

That accusation can be levelled at many channels and programmes in all honesty, but regarding Football Focus I haven't watched it in years.

I think it's just been overtaken by live football games being shown at the same time, and maybe better football discussion shows like Soccer Saturday, although that too is crumbling gradually now Jeff Stelling has followed most of the rest of its previous stars out of the door.

There's an old adage that the customer is always right, but there seems to be a tendency these days for channels to prescribe to us what they think we should be watching and who they think we should be hearing, rather than listening to what audiences actually want. That's a recipe for losing viewers in any era, but at a time when there's so much competition, including live games and online material, it's even more likely that viewers will just go elsewhere.

uysapie
22-09-2023, 08:03 PM
Never watch it.

upthemaggies
22-09-2023, 08:09 PM
I saw somebody comment today that it mostly now does reports on how green clubs are, Sunday League refs and their gender identity and promoting the women's game, which is probably an exaggeration but that was beginning to creep in on a regular basis when I gave up on it. I must have watched it every Saturday for 40 years or so before that, unless I was travelling to an away game.

countygump
22-09-2023, 08:15 PM
Not interested in the elitist league stuff.

This^^^

Glad2BeAPie
22-09-2023, 08:24 PM
Just another programme that aims to make the premiership seem better than it actually is.

jackal2
22-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Just another programme that aims to make the premiership seem better than it actually is.

And fails, by the sound of it!

magpie_mania
22-09-2023, 08:49 PM
Good.

Will not watch it with Alex Scott.

BJPIE
22-09-2023, 09:00 PM
That accusation can be levelled at many channels and programmes in all honesty, but regarding Football Focus I haven't watched it in years.

I think it's just been overtaken by live football games being shown at the same time, and maybe better football discussion shows like Soccer Saturday, although that too is crumbling gradually now Jeff Stelling has followed most of the rest of its previous stars out of the door.

There's an old adage that the customer is always right, but there seems to be a tendency these days for channels to prescribe to us what they think we should be watching and who they think we should be hearing, rather than listening to what audiences actually want. That's a recipe for losing viewers in any era, but at a time when there's so much competition, including live games and online material, it's even more likely that viewers will just go elsewhere.

100%

Perhaps it's a ploy to get people into watching football?

The politically driven crap that's served up now, it's no wonder nobodys watching.

But it doesn't matter to Auntie, we have to pay the licence fee anyway, so they will continue to ignore the viewer and hopefully sometime soon it will die!!

jackal2
22-09-2023, 09:26 PM
Good.

I actually feel some sympathy for Alex Scott. She is not at fault for accepting the opportunity to host a once iconic football programme. On face value it's an honour and a great opportunity for her, but that doesn't mean it was the right choice to match the audience's expectations.

In choosing the new presenter, did the executives do careful research into what their audience wanted, or did they decide what/who the audience should be given? I'm sure I'm not the only one who suspects it was more the latter, nor the only one who suspects that the choice was more political than football-based.

I'm a supporter of women's football and I see no reason why there shouldn't be female pundits and commentators if they are up to scratch. The best two female pundits I've seen are the extremely knowledgeable and articulate Karen Carney, and former Notts Ladies player Courtney Sweetman-Kirk. Both of them know their stuff and are being gradually integrated into football programming alongside more established male pundits. That's the way gradually ease the audience towards the idea of football punditry not being a male domain, but if you do that too fast, or worse still promote people who aren't ready, you'll just lose the viewers and do more harm than good in terms of selling the women's game.

kill_the_drum
23-09-2023, 12:11 AM
Haven’t watched it for years.
It used to be an intro into the weekends fixtures and I really enjoyed it.
With football being covered and analysed to within an inch of its life, I found FF (even 10 years ago) was just covering old news by the time it was aired.
I find football punditry has become completely saturated which results in them fighting for the spotlight. They aren’t just giving opinions on a game of football, they’re having to try and go much deeper and just end up talking absolute garbage.
Last weekend was a prime example. Richarlison has had absolute pelters from pundits since he went to Spurs. He opened up about his mental health recently and how he’s struggling. Pundits on BBC/SKY then spoke about him like he was Messi last weekend.

irish_pie
23-09-2023, 12:24 AM
I saw somebody comment today that it mostly now does reports on how green clubs are, Sunday League refs and their gender identity and promoting the women's game, which is probably an exaggeration but that was beginning to creep in on a regular basis when I gave up on it. I must have watched it every Saturday for 40 years or so before that, unless I was travelling to an away game.

This is exactly how I find it... Good post

TSANHO
23-09-2023, 10:07 AM
Good.

She’s quite ‘watchable’ to be fair!

OP67
23-09-2023, 10:11 AM
Judging by the replies here I can see why it may be axed, hardly anyone watches it XD I try to watch it from time to time while having lunch but end up turning over as it's just crap.
It still amazes me that Ashley Williams is on it after the abuse he gave to the ref at the U12's match and was charged by the FA for....oh hang on they can't sack him can they!!

Magpies1959
23-09-2023, 10:12 AM
I find it very strange to believe the BBC would bring green, and diversity issues into a football programme ;D.

TedBovisPie
23-09-2023, 11:09 AM
I find it very strange to believe the BBC would bring green, and diversity issues into a football programme ;D.

It’s seeping into everything sadly, long gone are the days when it was apolitical. They fill programs with content that most aren’t interested in so no wonder the numbers are dropping.

optipez
23-09-2023, 11:40 AM
I used to like FF, it marked the beginning of the football day and you got to see goals, analysis and look forward to the big games.
Not now. Partly because live matches and social media have encroached on to its space but I think equally because it's become issues based and preachy. It's Saturday, it's my free time and I just want some fun and I just gradually tuned out as the fun stopped.

Elite_Pie
23-09-2023, 11:46 AM
The last time I watched Football Focus, Jim'll Fix It was on later in the evening!

ForeignLegion
23-09-2023, 11:50 AM
The last time I watched Football Focus, Jim'll Fix It was on later in the evening!

Bring back Bob Wilson.

ncfcog
23-09-2023, 12:03 PM
https://youtu.be/wSP1E04zp5Y?si=wINUHN5BAQwpBnm8

upthemaggies
23-09-2023, 12:55 PM
https://youtu.be/wSP1E04zp5Y?si=wINUHN5BAQwpBnm8

I'm old enough to remember the "Grandstand" theme tune they used before that one, it wasn't good and I don't think it lasted very long but you can hear it here on a Grandstand World Cup Special from 1973.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3tn5JnT0Kg

irish_pie
23-09-2023, 01:17 PM
She’s quite ‘watchable’ to be fair!
She is indeed 😀

Robertomac
23-09-2023, 01:24 PM
Not watched it for years so can understand why it's now struggling to compete with other platforms. I did see that they have the lady on who I cannot stand - I can't remember her name but she talks like she's an extra from Top Boy.

marky
23-09-2023, 02:48 PM
I like Alex Scott, she's an excellent presenter and very knowledgable about the game but sadly I don't watch Football Focus much as I'm either on the way to a game, working or just not that interested in hearing more interviews with Foden, Grealish or Haaland.

BJPIE
23-09-2023, 04:38 PM
I like Alex Scott, she's an excellent presenter and very knowledgable about the game but sadly I don't watch Football Focus much as I'm either on the way to a game, working or just not that interested in hearing more interviews with Foden, Grealish or Haaland.

Nonsense!!! She's dreadful. Each to their own I suppose.

upthemaggies
23-09-2023, 04:56 PM
Nonsense!!! She's dreadful. Each to their own I suppose.

She's very easy on the eye and seems like a nice person, but whenever I've heard her speak it's like listening to a child, I can't bear it.
To be fair, there's only been two ex-pros who were ever completely natural in front of the cameras and not at all wooden in a presenting role (Hill and Icke). They should stick to professional broadcasters as hosts and use some journalists instead of exclusively using players as pundits, which RTE in Ireland apparently used to do with great success.

jackal2
23-09-2023, 05:20 PM
She's very easy on the eye and seems like a nice person, but whenever I've heard her speak it's like listening to a child, I can't bear it.
To be fair, there's only been two ex-pros who were ever completely natural in front of the cameras and not at all wooden in a presenting role (Hill and Icke). They should stick to professional broadcasters as hosts and use some journalists instead of exclusively using players as pundits, which RTE in Ireland apparently used to do with great success.

Generally I agree, but at great risk to my personal safety I'll give a shout out to ex-Red David Prutton, who I think is an absolute natural at the presenting job. Relaxed, intelligent, articulate and very witty. For my money he's better many of the 'trained' broadcasters.

Observerpie
24-09-2023, 08:14 AM
https://youtu.be/Tv0ueEI4OBQ?si=xbpF-QbR9Js01pNn

Magpies1959
24-09-2023, 09:43 AM
Those were the days

BJPIE
24-09-2023, 09:46 AM
Generally I agree, but at great risk to my personal safety I'll give a shout out to ex-Red David Prutton, who I think is an absolute natural at the presenting job. Relaxed, intelligent, articulate and very witty. For my money he's better many of the 'trained' broadcasters.

Agree. Always worth watching and listening too.

JoePass
24-09-2023, 02:28 PM

Pity she can’t speak English.

MAD_MAGPIE
24-09-2023, 02:31 PM
I’ve not watched Football Focus for some years now like others on here.

I used to watch it religiously each week (unless going to a Notts away game) after Soccer AM and liked the format especially from the late 90’s with presenters like Gary Lineka then Ray Stubbs, who was followed by Manish Bashin then Dan Walker.

It was simple in that they reviewed some premier league games, interviewed some players. Then there would be a feature usually with Mark Clemmit “Clem” where they would do a feature about something that was going off at a lower league club and they’d go and visit them and give them some good publicity. Who remembers when Notts were on when we went to Juventus opening ceremony?

For me as the years have rolled by and as I’ve for older the premier league has lost my interest and it seems so far removed from supporting Notts that it’s become like a different game so I’ve drifted away from it. I’m a bit the same with England as well it’s all a bit meh for want of a better word. Where are the characters and stand out personalities in the game as well?

Obviously Notts falling out of the football league in 2019 probably didn’t help matters.

I think also like with Notts there is so much more media content out there about your own club Football Focus has to compete with that. These days I would sooner watch official club media like Notts games highlights, our managers pre and post match interviews. Also the fan platforms such as Magpie Circle and Notts County Talk. There is a lot of competition out there now.

i961pie
24-09-2023, 02:47 PM

Can't stand to listen to her voice and sick of seeing her and the likes of Jennas on programme after programme.

Newish Pie
24-09-2023, 03:02 PM
Yeah, I've not watched Football Focus for decades. Think I first started losing interest when it seemed to me as if every episode was dominated by the Big Sky Teams. And for a lot of people, Saturday lunchtimes aren't good for TV watching, and I was hardly going to record it.

Having said that, I think it's a shame if there isn't a BBC football show that's free-to-air and on before the watershed. Perhaps that matters less these days, but having a football show for an audience with a lot of children watching is no bad thing.

I guess in this thread there are two competing criticisms which seem to be in conflict. One is that FF suffered because of over-saturation of coverage, not being relevant, not being as good as Sky etc.

The other is that it's tried to do something different in terms of presenters and reporters (FF seems like a good place to give new voices a chance to learn and grow); how much attention they play to women's football; whether they look at broader football stories like the environmental impact of football. As I say, I've not been watching, this is just based on what people in this thread are complaining about.

So... we want FF to do something different, but not the different things they've been trying. And if there aren't other options and people aren't watching, then it's probably time to draw it to an end. Pity, though.

OP67
24-09-2023, 03:03 PM

I'm glad she no longer tries to pronounce "Nottingham" and just sticks to Forest now. Personally I think she's a dreadful presenter and purely got the job due to BBC box ticking interviewing!!