View Full Version : 5,000th league game

nw6pie
25-09-2023, 12:45 PM
Apologies if this is old news, but it looks like we’re due to play our 5,000th league game next month.

According to the EFL link below, we’d played 4,986 games when we got relegated in 2019, so our 14th game this season will bring us up to 5,000 - which, barring postponements, will be … Gillingham away. Shame the EFL didn’t give us a home game for such a momentous moment in the club’s history.

The four years out of the league mean we’re the 8th team to pass the landmark number (instead of the first if we hadn’t got relegated), after Preston, Burnley, Wolves, Derby, Bolton, West Brom and Blackburn.

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/july/preston-north-end-first-to-reach-5000-league-games/

Can any stattos (looking at upthemaggies here) confirm this?

upthemaggies
25-09-2023, 01:16 PM
Apologies if this is old news, but it looks like we’re due to play our 5,000th league game next month.

According to the EFL link below, we’d played 4,986 games when we got relegated in 2019, so our 14th game this season will bring us up to 5,000 - which, barring postponements, will be … Gillingham away.
Can any stattos (looking at upthemaggies here) confirm this?

Yes it's right, but I don't agree with it in the sense that I would claim we've played (as of today) 5,165 league fixtures in the pyramid.

Going by the "Notts have played 4,995 FL games" logic, that would mean we'd have to stop counting if we got into the Premier League because it's a "different" competition.

Drives me mad when commentators talk about stats relating to top flight clubs that ignore all of the season's they were in tier 1 when it was still part of the FL, 1992/93 is a totally arbitrary cut off point - it would make more tangible sense to start with season 1995/96, since when the top flight has been 20 clubs rather than the 22 it traditionally was in FL days, or the season VAR was introduced where we've effectively then got two totally different game rules - like Rugby Union and Rugby League.

The_Don_ORiordan
25-09-2023, 06:11 PM
So if we excluded PL we’d be second right?

Since all the others have had at least 3 or 4 seasons in the PL. exception being Preston.

maddogslater
26-09-2023, 05:00 PM
I remember the 3,000 th home to forest, 2-2 , both teams on the cover of the programme (paper) .