PDA

View Full Version : Foster mystery illness

ClaretinBudapest
03-11-2023, 05:17 PM
Anybody see todays press conference? No news of when he will be back or what the problem is except Kompany will be able to say more next week.Why all the secrecy? I remember something similar with Twine last year-I hope it is not a repeat.
No goals for us tomorrow then.

Deadlydave
03-11-2023, 06:37 PM
Anybody see todays press conference? No news of when he will be back or what the problem is except Kompany will be able to say more next week.Why all the secrecy? I remember something similar with Twine last year-I hope it is not a repeat.

Really can it get any worse at this moment in time. However why has he then signed a new 5 year contract a couple of weeks ago? It's all very odd.

sinkov
03-11-2023, 07:46 PM

I don't know just what reason is, but Vinni is always reluctant to talk about exactly what the problem is with his players. I first noticed it last season when he was asked about THB's injury in a Presser. He just said 'I can't tell you, you'll have to ask the player'. Are there legal constraints on what he can say, or something built into their contracts ? It's very odd, most managers are quite open about the extent of their player's injuries, but not Vinni, it really is a case of 'me to know and you to find out', with him.

WillPark
03-11-2023, 09:13 PM
In normal employer - employee things (I don't have a better way of saying this... sorry :) ) at least in Norway, employers can't give out any information about employees health conditions. Why should it be different for football players? It's fine with me. But he did comment on Ekdal and Bayer, that they had twisted their knee.

kritichris
03-11-2023, 09:20 PM
it's normal practice to comment on physical issues and recovery progress but mental issues and addictions are taboo.

alfinyalcabo
03-11-2023, 09:59 PM
it's normal practice to comment on physical issues and recovery progress but mental issues and addictions are taboo.

Certainly hope that's not the case 😬

sinkov
04-11-2023, 07:57 AM
Foster had 'issues' when he first arrived, hopefully it's not a recurrence.

The Bedlington Terrier
04-11-2023, 09:39 AM
Apparently the lad confessed to clinical depression issues. A couple of hat-tricks would put that right. O:)

ClaretinBudapest
04-11-2023, 02:44 PM
Foster had 'issues' when he first arrived, hopefully it's not a recurrence.

That is what I am thinking Sinkov hence the post.Did Twine not have similar issues last season?

sinkov
04-11-2023, 05:59 PM
That is what I am thinking Sinkov hence the post.Did Twine not have similar issues last season?

Yes I believe so CiB, no actual physical injury was ever attributed to account for Twine missing the first half of the season.

ClaretinBudapest
04-11-2023, 06:25 PM
Yes I believe so CiB, no actual physical injury was ever attributed to account for Twine missing the first half of the season.

So that means ALK`s super duper data anaiytics dont pick up on the fact that a player has mental issues.

Supersub6
04-11-2023, 10:16 PM
So that means ALK`s super duper data anaiytics dont pick up on the fact that a player has mental issues.

Probably not, however, if a player says that he is having mental problems then, as a manager, you have a responsibility to look after your employee and not to publicise their problems. Good luck to Lyle, whatever is wrong with him.

The Bedlington Terrier
05-11-2023, 03:22 AM
The daft thing is Lyle was discussing his clinical depression which he brought with him from South Africa and Belgium and the help he was receiving from BFC was overwhelmingly supportive.

We now have only Jay Rod and Amdouni to select from, which begs the question how is our recruitment team worse or as bad as the Garlick/Rigg/Dyche fiasco? :confused:

ballcock
05-11-2023, 12:41 PM
They obviously didn't do proper due diligence or decided to ignore the fact.

Bad and costly mismanagement they really do need to get their act together

Tap in MN
05-11-2023, 10:00 PM
The daft thing is Lyle was discussing his clinical depression which he brought with him from South Africa and Belgium and the help he was receiving from BFC was overwhelmingly supportive.

We now have only Jay Rod and Amdouni to select from, which begs the question how is our recruitment team worse or as bad as the Garlick/Rigg/Dyche fiasco? :confused:

That great player Gundogan recently said that he doesn't know how he managed to live in Manchester for 7 yrs but he obviously didn't let the problem affect his play. We are all different and I think VK is right to make this a no comment situation. The great Jimmy Greaves coming down Manchester Road into Burnley remarked "Do people actually live here" joking of course but .... Nevertheless for the good of BFC and the players concerned it needs to be resolved.

sinkov
05-11-2023, 10:28 PM
That great player Gundogan recently said that he doesn't know how he managed to live in Manchester for 7 yrs but he obviously didn't let the problem affect his play. We are all different and I think VK is right to make this a no comment situation. The great Jimmy Greaves coming down Manchester Road into Burnley remarked "Do people actually live here" joking of course but .... Nevertheless for the good of BFC and the players concerned it needs to be resolved.

When Bristol's finest Ian Holloway came up north to manage Blackpool, he chose to live just a few miles outside of Burnley. Most southerners are blissfully ignorant about the delights of this area, thank god, but not Ian, nor Mr Pace and his chums, comfortably ensconced within walking distance of a Michelin Star restaurant.

The Bedlington Terrier
06-11-2023, 03:03 AM
Foster had his mental health issues well before he arrived in east Lancashire, probably best left to the Burnley Football Club player welfare unit to sort out. :blue:

Meanwhile who is going to take his place, Obafemi perhaps?

sinkov
06-11-2023, 11:07 AM
Foster had his mental health issues well before he arrived in east Lancashire, probably best left to the Burnley Football Club player welfare unit to sort out. :blue:

Meanwhile who is going to take his place, Obafemi perhaps?

Nothing coming off our Youth Development production line ? No, thought not, nothing much changes there does it.

The Bedlington Terrier
06-11-2023, 11:23 AM
Nothing coming off our Youth Development production line ? No, thought not, nothing much changes there does it.

Richardson and Mellon are getting rave reviews but they are a million miles away from the EPL, but then again so are most of our first team squad. :blue:

ClaretinBudapest
06-11-2023, 11:56 AM

Stlies is now in the Hungarian national team and looks like a proper little midfielder to me and apparently he disappeared down the Gawthorpe black hole a few years ago.

Tap in MN
08-11-2023, 02:17 AM
Imo the old reserve team, Central League system was a better system for developing players. Younger players played with and against older professionals regularly which had to bring them on. Now that the top teams are playing over 60 games a season it would probably not be practical. The absence of product from our academy should be a major concern for BFC management

sinkov
08-11-2023, 09:22 AM
Imo the old reserve team, Central League system was a better system for developing players. Younger players played with and against older professionals regularly which had to bring them on. Now that the top teams are playing over 60 games a season it would probably not be practical. The absence of product from our academy should be a major concern for BFC management

It was Eddie Howe who scrapped the reserve team, whilst our academy has been producing nowt but non league players for 15 years now, even Sean couldn't fix it.

The Bedlington Terrier
08-11-2023, 10:08 AM
Last week I saw on a 1963 Burnley pre-season team photo sitting on the grass in the front row, Ralph Coates, Willie Morgan, Brian O'Neil and Willie Irvine.

Whatever happened to that production line that found such talent?

sinkov
08-11-2023, 02:43 PM
Just from memory I can come up with a Central League team from the early 60s,

Thomson,
Smith, Talbot, Merrington, Buxton
Morgan, Walker, O'Neill, Towers
Lochhead, Irvine.

There was also, Ralph Coates, Arthur Bellamy, Ronnie Fenton, Colin Blant, Sammy Todd, Stan Ternent, Walter Joyce and Gordon Harris. The vast majority actually made it into the first team and stayed there. Happy days.

sinkov
08-11-2023, 02:46 PM
Last week I saw on a 1963 Burnley pre-season team photo sitting on the grass in the front row, Ralph Coates, Willie Morgan, Brian O'Neil and Willie Irvine.

Whatever happened to that production line that found such talent?

I'm sure that Jack Hixon was responsible for a lot of them, but Sub will know better than me.

Supersub6
08-11-2023, 03:11 PM
I'm sure that Jack Hixon was responsible for a lot of them, but Sub will know better than me.

He certainly was and what a smashing bloke he was. I first met him at Billy Ingham's parents and enjoyed a long chat about Brian O'Neill because he was in the same school team as my brother-in-law when Jack first saw him.
Her is an interesting article which I have had i my system for ages:- http://www.geocities.ws/Colosseum/Track/6698/profiles/hixon.html

Supersub6
08-11-2023, 03:12 PM

He certainly was and what a smashing bloke he was. I first met him at Billy Ingham's parents and enjoyed a long chat about Brian O'Neill because he was in the same school team as my brother-in-law when Jack first saw him.
Here is an interesting article which I have had in my system for ages:- http://www.geocities.ws/Colosseum/Track/6698/profiles/hixon.html

Tap in MN
09-11-2023, 12:01 AM
[QUOTE=sinkov;40384314]When Bristol's finest Ian Holloway came up north to manage Blackpool, he chose to live just a few miles outside of Burnley. Most southerners are blissfully ignorant about the delights of this area, thank god, but not Ian, nor Mr Pace and his chums, comfortably ensconced within walking distance of a Michelin Star restaurant

I loved the countryside around Burnley and spent many hours rain or shine on the moors. My advise to Mr Pace would be get a good pair of boots, get out onto the moors, feel the wind and after a few miles around lunch time find a friendly pub with a decent menu and a big open fire. Your body will tell you what to do next.

The Bedlington Terrier
09-11-2023, 12:12 AM
That's a fantastic read Supersub6, thanks for sharing. It's now in my "cherished" box.

sinkov
09-11-2023, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=sinkov;40384314]When Bristol's finest Ian Holloway came up north to manage Blackpool, he chose to live just a few miles outside of Burnley. Most southerners are blissfully ignorant about the delights of this area, thank god, but not Ian, nor Mr Pace and his chums, comfortably ensconced within walking distance of a Michelin Star restaurant

I loved the countryside around Burnley and spent many hours rain or shine on the moors. My advise to Mr Pace would be get a good pair of boots, get out onto the moors, feel the wind and after a few miles around lunch time find a friendly pub with a decent menu and a big open fire. Your body will tell you what to do next.

I'm not sure of the exact location but I believe Ian was living somewhere round Barley way.

barrie_burn
09-11-2023, 11:41 AM
Downham I believe.

Claret_Matelot
09-11-2023, 02:24 PM
I thought Obafemi and Churlinov were both back on the grass a month ago.

The Bedlington Terrier
09-11-2023, 02:39 PM
I thought Obafemi and Churlinov were both back on the grass a month ago.

Churlinov was not named in the 25 man squad and Obafemi is currently designated "not EPL fit" C_M.

Supersub6
09-11-2023, 03:48 PM
Such a shame that he is suffering, I can only wish him well because it is always a struggle dealing with mental illness.

https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/content/lyle-foster-statement

The Bedlington Terrier
09-11-2023, 04:06 PM
Such a shame that he is suffering, I can only wish him well because it is always a struggle dealing with mental illness.

https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/content/lyle-foster-statement

Only Lyle himself knows what triggers his mental health issues, at least he owns it and he is getting help. Good luck to the lad.

outwoodclaret
09-11-2023, 05:38 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67370283

I trust Lyle will get the support he clearly needs.

Tap in MN
09-11-2023, 06:03 PM
Just from memory I can come up with a Central League team from the early 60s,

Thomson,
Smith, Talbot, Merrington, Buxton
Morgan, Walker, O'Neill, Towers
Lochhead, Irvine.

There was also, Ralph Coates, Arthur Bellamy, Ronnie Fenton, Colin Blant, Sammy Todd, Stan Ternent, Walter Joyce and Gordon Harris. The vast majority actually made it into the first team and stayed there. Happy days.

Thank you Sinkov, I could put a face to nearly all those names. Gordon Harris in particular for two thunderous goals he scored against Sh Wed, I think. Absolute rockets coming in from the left.