PDA

View Full Version : Budget

PedroTheFisherman66
26-11-2023, 04:21 AM
After a bad day at the office there seems to be a big shout out ( according to the match thread) for us to go out and purchase some new defenders. Bearing that in mind here is the conundrum. Do we sell Langstaff in January and use that money to reinvest in new defenders?

wiseoldmagpie
26-11-2023, 06:29 AM
After a bad day at the office there seems to be a big shout out ( according to the match thread) for us to go out and purchase some new defenders. Bearing that in mind here is the conundrum. Do we sell Langstaff in January and use that money to reinvest in new defenders?

NO!

Right now we have a NL defence, a L2 midfield and a L1 forward line. When Palmer returns we probably also have a L1 midfield.

I think most agree that Baldwin is decent, and Macari is coming along nicely. 1 really good (L1 potential) CB and we should be OK, with Brindley and Cameron as part of the mix.

Floodlightclimber
26-11-2023, 06:36 AM
Its a good call. For me it comes down to when and not if we sell him because he's 25-26 years old and the bloke deserves a shot at one good Championship level contract to set himself up for the future, but if we thought we'd only get £500k for him then I'd say no.

Surely the main point is not about selling anyone? I hear that we are running at an average of 2500 attendees above the business plan at every home game because of players like him and assuming that it is at an average of £15 a ticket to allow for some of them being kids, then we are taking an £37.5k extra on the gate for every game. Over the season that is over £800k, and that right there is the new defence?.

But if someone is in for Macca at £1m+, then take the money and we get a new defence, back up centre mid and a solid centre forward who is perhaps 30 years old and on the way down but can go up top with Didzy?

queenslandpie
26-11-2023, 07:16 AM
Definately not.

nw6pie
26-11-2023, 07:58 AM

It’s a good question but if we’re serious about wanting to go up this season, we can’t sell one of our best players - and the struggles of Junior Morias are a perfect example of why.

We definitely need a serious upgrade in defence, plus one more in midfield - and all of them need to be naturals for our system. With the best will in the world, Connell is fighting a losing battle in that regard. He proved his worth against Bradford in the last 20 minutes, but if we want to play a high line, we need quick players back there. They also need to be up for the physical aspects of the league, which is where the challenge comes for the recruitment team because, as Rich Montague said last week, that’s who everyone is after.

thefulltenyards
26-11-2023, 08:17 AM
Good question. All hypothetical but if someone offered £1m plus suitable add ons I would snap your hands off if a replacement was already identify and lined up. Without a replacement, no deal.

I imagine it's getting the balance right we don't want to sell our best played as that seriously stunts progress but isn't the whole point of our recruitment approach to buy players and then sell them for a lot more to reinvest in players?

Turning £50,000 into £1,000,000 would be a fantastic and probably example of that. When was the last time we sold a player for that sort of figure, that we ourselves bought, and to do it whilst in League Two would be incredibly impressive.

Steve Finnan in late 90s for considerably less. Craig Short for a lot more when we were a lot higher in the football pyramid.

PedroTheFisherman66
26-11-2023, 08:44 AM
Good question. All hypothetical but if someone offered £1m plus suitable add ons I would snap your hands off if a replacement was already identify and lined up. Without a replacement, no deal.

I imagine it's getting the balance right we don't want to sell our best played as that seriously stunts progress but isn't the whole point of our recruitment approach to buy players and then sell them for a lot more to reinvest in players?

Turning £50,000 into £1,000,000 would be a fantastic and probably example of that. When was the last time we sold a player for that sort of figure, that we ourselves bought, and to do it whilst in League Two would be incredibly impressive.

Steve Finnan in late 90s for considerably less. Craig Short for a lot more when we were a lot higher in the football pyramid.

You would have to say Morias is the natural replacement (that's why he was bought)and would hope that if he was to play week in week out he might become the player the club thought he was when we bought him....!!

The Dug Out
26-11-2023, 10:33 AM
You would have to say Morias is the natural replacement (that's why he was bought)and would hope that if he was to play week in week out he might become the player the club thought he was when we bought him....!!
Out of all the Radar system of buys & loanees I believe Marias is a huge disappointment, he has been given a fair cracking of the whip but has just not produced anything to be a FL player.
It's a shame as I thought he would be an upgrade on that other exiting player who was of the same stature ofcthe guy that Moniz bought in.

PedroTheFisherman66
26-11-2023, 11:12 AM
Out of all the Radar system of buys & loanees I believe Marias is a huge disappointment, he has been given a fair cracking of the whip but has just not produced anything to be a FL player.
It's a shame as I thought he would be an upgrade on that other exiting player who was of the same stature ofcthe guy that Moniz bought in.

If we get good money from the sale ML then it should be used to help improve the defence for this season.The rest of the season could be used to try and improve Morias, await the return of Scott and see if any of that works. If not then rebuild the forward line as required come the end of season with next seasons budget.i think that's the way I would try and move the squad forward.

Carlton_Pie
26-11-2023, 11:23 AM
If we get good money from the sale ML then it should be used to help improve the defence for this season.The rest of the season could be used to try and improve Morias, await the return of Scott and see if any of that works. If not then rebuild the forward line as required come the end of season with next seasons budget.i think that's the way I would try and move the squad forward.

2 top defenders, goalkeeper and Palmer replacement away from being a nailed on playoff team.

I'd be looking to replace Slocombe, Brindley, Cameron (keep as back up) Rawlinson and JOB from yesterdays team.

A back 3 of Macari/Baldwin/new signing with an upgraded goalkeeper

Old_pie
26-11-2023, 11:37 AM
A back 3 of Macari/Baldwin/new signing with an upgraded goalkeeper

Ramsdale might be looking for a refreshing move but based on his performance yesterday I think I'd give him a miss.

Kent Magpie
27-11-2023, 11:11 AM
This idea of 'budget' is a bit misleading. Do they mean what we spent on players or what is available to spend on players? If the latter, who knows what that is outside the club, and why would you share that anyway? We may have spent an 'upper mid-table' amount on players, but that doesn't mean there isn't more money available if needs be. I'm also not convinced that our owners don't have access to significantly more amounts of cash than they let people believe, it's just that they, rightly, want the club to be sustainable. If we need a bit of a push to reach the next level, they have shown that they have been prepared to put more money in to achieve that (Jones, Bostock, keeping Ruben and missing out on a transfer fee). So, if there is someone out there than meets the bill, I think they will move to get them in.

If the price is right then we shouldn't stand in Macca's way. I have a feeling that being a 'bits and pieces' player at the moment isn't helping Morias as the role requires a great understanding with Didzy and Crowely (in particular) which takes time to develop. Macca is a bit special in that he can do this quickly, but I suspect he is more of an exception.

I'm not hugely convinced that we will see a massive difference in the defence unless we can get a really really good CB. The system we play will always result in errors (even PL defences cock up on a regular basis) so we need pace to recover these more or players that are just too good for the standard we play at. Whether we can get someone that fits the bill is a big question.

Hopefully Gosling will come good and stay for the rest of the season, but I get the feeling he sees us as a means to an end rather than a potential club to play for, so a CM is probably still a need.

I don't see a need for a new goalkeeper. Slocombe played well at the weekend and although he has limitations, he is fine for this level. Stone also, but will hopefully improve) and then there is Brooks too.

So I would go for a CB or 2 with pace and a CM to cover Palmer / Gosling.

PedroTheFisherman66
27-11-2023, 11:36 AM
This idea of 'budget' is a bit misleading. Do they mean what we spent on players or what is available to spend on players? If the latter, who knows what that is outside the club, and why would you share that anyway? We may have spent an 'upper mid-table' amount on players, but that doesn't mean there isn't more money available if needs be. I'm also not convinced that our owners don't have access to significantly more amounts of cash than they let people believe, it's just that they, rightly, want the club to be sustainable. If we need a bit of a push to reach the next level, they have shown that they have been prepared to put more money in to achieve that (Jones, Bostock, keeping Ruben and missing out on a transfer fee). So, if there is someone out there than meets the bill, I think they will move to get them in.

If the price is right then we shouldn't stand in Macca's way. I have a feeling that being a 'bits and pieces' player at the moment isn't helping Morias as the role requires a great understanding with Didzy and Crowely (in particular) which takes time to develop. Macca is a bit special in that he can do this quickly, but I suspect he is more of an exception.

I'm not hugely convinced that we will see a massive difference in the defence unless we can get a really really good CB. The system we play will always result in errors (even PL defences cock up on a regular basis) so we need pace to recover these more or players that are just too good for the standard we play at. Whether we can get someone that fits the bill is a big question.

Hopefully Gosling will come good and stay for the rest of the season, but I get the feeling he sees us as a means to an end rather than a potential club to play for, so a CM is probably still a need.

I don't see a need for a new goalkeeper. Slocombe played well at the weekend and although he has limitations, he is fine for this level. Stone also, but will hopefully improve) and then there is Brooks too.

Sorry Kent magpie. When I titled the thread Budget I edited some of the text to keep it short.Initialy I was refering to the fact that if the club are operating to a budget that has mainly been spent.To upgrade the defence and keeper to hopefully promotion standard a vast amount of cash would need to be invested.If this is the case then we would need to sell to invest to remain on budget .It's only a matter of time before Langdtaff leaves as he will play at a higher level so let's not have a Rodders situation where he leaves for free.I agree with you about Morias , so let's strengthen the defence/ keeper ( both)and give Morias the opportunity to proce he can cut it .Personally I hope the club chooses the balance the books option.

Kent Magpie
27-11-2023, 12:02 PM
Sorry Kent magpie. When I titled the thread Budget I edited some of the text to keep it short.Initialy I was refering to the fact that if the club are operating to a budget that has mainly been spent.To upgrade the defence and keeper to hopefully promotion standard a vast amount of cash would need to be invested.If this is the case then we would need to sell to invest to remain on budget .It's only a matter of time before Langdtaff leaves as he will play at a higher level so let's not have a Rodders situation where he leaves for free.I agree with you about Morias , so let's strengthen the defence/ keeper ( both)and give Morias the opportunity to proce he can cut it .Personally I hope the club chooses the balance the books option.

Brevity is not my strong point. In that case, if the price is right I agree with you.. but keeper would not be a priority for me. A stronger defence in front will help either Stone or Slocombe. I think we should aim for pace in the CBs and cover in CM in case Gosling doesn't make it / stay.

Kent Magpie
27-11-2023, 12:16 PM
I get a little pen on my phone and 'Edit Post' on my PC, but only on my latest post, which suggests it is time limited.

Ooops - wrong thread!

slack_pie
27-11-2023, 12:32 PM

I think in this case 'budget' means the current wage bill. I don't even think transfer fees come into it. It definitely doesn't mean what a club could potentially spend, because that can change at any moment. Besides, clubs don't want other clubs to know how much money they are prepared to spend.

PedroTheFisherman66
27-11-2023, 01:00 PM
I think in this case 'budget' means the current wage bill. I don't even think transfer fees come into it. It definitely doesn't mean what a club could potentially spend, because that can change at any moment. Besides, clubs don't want other clubs to know how much money they are prepared to spend.

I would bring into that equation not overloading the squad with unwanted players like in the past.

1955pie
27-11-2023, 05:34 PM

Good post. But would you be confident in Slocombe in goal again for a play off final (or 2 semis) and then facing a penalty shootout?

thefulltenyards
27-11-2023, 05:39 PM
You can only edit for 5-10 minutes I'm told.

Squad budget = squad wages when talking ranking within the league. Each club obviously has to declare it to the EFL and they in turn inform the clubs of their ranking to allow a barometer of spend.

Notts are not Top 7.

maddogslater
27-11-2023, 06:07 PM
Good post. But would you be confident in Slocombe in goal again for a play off final (or 2 semis) and then facing a penalty
shootout?
Definitely a no, think we got a dud with Stone, sooner have given Brooks a chance and sooner have had Mair.
Raddy showed what a difference having a really good keeper can make

Proactive not Reactive
27-11-2023, 07:49 PM
Good post. But would you be confident in Slocombe in goal again for a play off final (or 2 semis) and then facing a penalty shootout?

No Stone can go in goal for the penalty shootouts he won one at Wembley for Port Vale - he is their Archie Mair 😜

matt_magpie
27-11-2023, 08:27 PM
We’re never going to sell Macca in Jan, if we don’t go up this season and someone offers a million I guess we probably will take it and Scott will take his place.
I think it’s too harsh to judge Morias yet he’s hardly had a kick really and probably won’t get much of one. It was the same with Mitchell, I thought he had something but never got a run understandably but he’s doing very well at Rochdale.

1955pie
27-11-2023, 08:33 PM
No Stone can go in goal for the penalty shootouts he won one at Wembley for Port Vale - he is their Archie Mair 😜

Thinking about that last minute penalty for Crewe. Would Williams have been allowed to put Stone on? I don't know what the rules are. Not blaming Slocombe for the penalty but the end result couldn't have been any worse.

1955pie
27-11-2023, 08:38 PM
No Stone can go in goal for the penalty shootouts he won one at Wembley for Port Vale - he is their Archie Mair ��

But what about Slocombe in that first 5 minutes of that final?

thefulltenyards
27-11-2023, 09:56 PM
I hope one day I witness a Sam Slocombe penalty save, it will be celebrated more than a goal.

I try to forget the first five minutes of the final for the sake of the whole team including everyone ahead of Slocombe.

Kent Magpie
27-11-2023, 11:04 PM

No.. but we shouldn't be buying a new keeper based on a small chance of being involved in a penalty shoot out. There's bigger priorities than replacing Slocombe.

OP67
27-11-2023, 11:52 PM
Stone has been very disappointing, some of the goals conceded have been shocking. As for Morias I really can't see where he fits into the team, a confusing buy.

Oh to have a keeper who can pluck a ball out the air under pressure and can control his area and defence.

slack_pie
28-11-2023, 07:11 AM
Stone has been very disappointing, some of the goals conceded have been shocking. As for Morias I really can't see where he fits into the team, a confusing buy.

Oh to have a keeper who can pluck a ball out the air under pressure and can control his area and defence.

We got that part of the recruitment puzzle badly wrong in the summer. We needed an obvious upgrade on Slocombe, but now we have two keepers who don't seem good enough. Bring another onei in, and we'll have to ship one of those two out.

Perhaps we could give Brooks a go? If not now then when?

PedroTheFisherman66
28-11-2023, 07:16 AM
We got that part of the recruitment puzzle badly wrong in the summer. We needed an obvious upgrade on Slocombe, but now we have two keepers who don't seem good enough. Bring another onei in, and we'll have to ship one of those two out.

Perhaps we could give Brooks a go? If not now then when?

I'm all for giving Brooks a go ..!!

Proactive not Reactive
28-11-2023, 08:08 AM
But what about Slocombe in that first 5 minutes of that final?

We'll give him some benzodiazepines if we are lucky enoughXD to get to a final, seems ok in the semi finals just Wembley spooks him XD

Proactive not Reactive
28-11-2023, 08:14 AM
We’re never going to sell Macca in Jan, if we don’t go up this season and someone offers a million I guess we probably will take it and Scott will take his place.
I think it’s too harsh to judge Morias yet he’s hardly had a kick really and probably won’t get much of one. It was the same with Mitchell, I thought he had something but never got a run understandably but he’s doing very well at Rochdale.

As you say I think he has something but because of injuries not had game time and this shows with a lack of fitness,seems to be carrying a bit of timber.
Also think he's better as a 10 than a 9 but maybe different if was fitter and sharper