View Full Version : VAR changes

1955pie
28-11-2023, 02:47 PM
Just come across this article.
What is football becoming?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/24872887/new-var-rules-premier-league/

LaxtonLad
28-11-2023, 03:13 PM
I can see it reducing attendances, especially at evening games. As it is now, with the extra time added it is usually about 9.30 when I get to my car, then a half-hour drive home. I would have to think twice about buying a season ticket if night games were to run even further into the night. I pity anyone who has to catch a bus from the ground to the city and then another one home..

Anyone know why games now kick-off at 7.45 instead of 7.30?

slack_pie
28-11-2023, 03:32 PM
I can see it reducing attendances, especially at evening games. As it is now, with the extra time added it is usually about 9.30 when I get to my car, then a half-hour drive home. I would have to think twice about buying a season ticket if night games were to run even further into the night. I pity anyone who has to catch a bus from the ground to the city and then another one home..

No idea why it's 7:45. I'd prefer it if games kicked off at 7:00. That would still give everyone a chance to finish work and get themselves down.

1955pie
28-11-2023, 03:39 PM

When matches start at 7-45 the very earliest they can finish is 9-30 - usually about 9-40/9-45.

the_anticlough
28-11-2023, 03:48 PM
When matches start at 7-45 the very earliest they can finish is 9-30 - usually about 9-40/9-45.

Yeah, 7:45 for a 9:30 + finish doesn't seem right if it gets some fans home at 11:00pm.
A generally applied kick-off time of 7:30 seems more civilised.

marky
28-11-2023, 04:07 PM
Kick off times for midweek matches should be 7;00 or 7;30. If away fans can't get there for 7;00 then tough.

Glad2BeAPie
28-11-2023, 04:23 PM
Kick off times for midweek matches should be 7;00 or 7;30. If away fans can't get there for 7;00 then tough.
Another point, stewards have to be on duty 2 hrs before k.o. and have day jobs and some don't finish till 5ish. Just my two penneth

magpie_mania
28-11-2023, 04:39 PM

What about home fans who can't get there?

7.00 would be too early.

Kent Magpie
28-11-2023, 04:44 PM
Yeah, 7:45 for a 9:30 + finish doesn't seem right if it gets some fans home at 11:00pm.

Or some fans home at 1:30 - 2am!! My days of doing that are well behind me!

LaxtonLad
28-11-2023, 04:49 PM
Another point, stewards have to be on duty 2 hrs before k.o. and have day jobs and some don't finish till 5ish. Just my two penneth

Are you sure about that? 2 hours before kick off? Why? Even so, if the steward does finish work at even 5-ish he then has to get home, eat his dinner, wash, get changed and get to the ground, all in 45 minutes?

SmiffyPie
28-11-2023, 04:53 PM
Stewards are contractors aren't they? And as such will be rostered as part of their working day. 2 hours prior seems about right considering they have to be briefed, allocated work areas and probably some sort of ground safety clearance before the ground opens.

Notts78
28-11-2023, 04:55 PM
What about home fans who can't get there?

7.00 would be too early.

Apparently, tough.

Unless you get rid of midweek games all together then whatever KO time is applied will have positives/negatives. The reality is that we all know when we go to any game there is a big chance of getting home later than anticipated.
Going back to my original point of getting rid of mid week games, this is highly unlikely to happen. It would require a huge reduction of games which would impact club revenue. So despite the fact that a few fans can’t make games, isn’t going to impact that.

SmiffyPie
28-11-2023, 04:57 PM
As for the VAR discussion, they may as well get rid of the human and get AI covering the game. If the proposals do get adopted the refs will refer everything! Some refs are currently scared crapless to make a decision as it is.

SmiffyPie
28-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Apparently, tough.

Unless you get rid of midweek games all together then whatever KO time is applied will have positives/negatives. The reality is that we all know when we go to any game there is a big chance of getting home later than anticipated.
Going back to my original point of getting rid of mid week games, this is highly unlikely to happen. It would require a huge reduction of games which would impact club revenue. So despite the fact that a few fans can’t make games, isn’t going to impact that.Sure I read somewhere ages ago that attendance for most Prem clubs is nothing short of an inconvenience and has little impact on revenue.

Elite_Pie
28-11-2023, 05:04 PM

Can anyone remember the last time we had two home night games in the same midweek?

Might be some around Easter or Christmas, but I can't recall any.

Elite_Pie
28-11-2023, 05:10 PM
Another proposed change:

Plans for football to introduce 10-minute sin-bins for cynical fouls and dissent have been recommended for trialling in the professional game. The game's lawmakers, the International Football Association Board (Ifab), said it will "identify which levels are best to test". The trial will also include a rule allowing only the team captain to approach the referee during a game.

crazyfists
28-11-2023, 05:33 PM
No idea why it's 7:45. I'd prefer it if games kicked off at 7:00. That would still give everyone a chance to finish work and get themselves down.

This 100% It does my head in how late they are. It's not just the finish time, you can't just switch off and go to sleep, the adrenaline is still pumping from most games at full time. Also work wise we have more to do thesedays compared to say 20 years ago, it's do more with less, I do two people's jobs cause the company wanted to save a wage and I need to get to bed by half nine really. And then kids might not be allowed up to watch their team.

Bring forward kick offs.

LincsPie
28-11-2023, 06:24 PM
Come on Notts it can be done! Pity we didn't bring it up at the Fans Forum!

EFL Regulation 28:

Kick-Off Times
The Home Club shall fix the time of kick-off:
between 11.30am and 3.15pm for Saturday matches;
between 7.00pm and 8.05pm for midweek matches; and
between 11.30am and 8.05pm for Bank Holiday matches.

Once the kick-off time has been fixed, any amendment or variation thereto can be made only by agreement with the Away Club and with the approval of The League.

1955pie
28-11-2023, 06:29 PM
This 100% It does my head in how late they are. It's not just the finish time, you can't just switch off and go to sleep, the adrenaline is still pumping from most games at full time. Also work wise we have more to do thesedays compared to say 20 years ago, it's do more with less, I do two people's jobs cause the company wanted to save a wage and I need to get to bed by half nine really. And then kids might not be allowed up to watch their team.

Bring forward kick offs.

I wonder if we can choose our own kick off time?
Until relatively recently Forest used to kick off at 7-30 for their Tuesday night games.
I see a couple of games this evening have an 8-00 start.

LincsPie
28-11-2023, 06:37 PM
Until relatively recently Forest used to kick off at 7-30 for their Tuesday night games.

See my post above - yes, it's in the EFL regs!

marky
28-11-2023, 06:37 PM

Sometimes if games are on TV then they have an 8-00 start that's why Watford are kicking off at 8-00, no idea why Reading v Carlisle is at 8-00 though.

Notts78
28-11-2023, 06:40 PM
Sometimes if games are on TV then they have an 8-00 start that's why Watford are kicking off at 8-00, no idea why Reading v Carlisle is at 8-00 though.

From memory, Reading always KO at 8pm when at home.

Notts78
28-11-2023, 06:43 PM
Sure I read somewhere ages ago that attendance for most Prem clubs is nothing short of an inconvenience and has little impact on revenue.

As a Notts fan I look beyond the riches of Premiership football. Midweek games are a revenue for us.

SmiffyPie
28-11-2023, 06:57 PM
As a Notts fan I look beyond the riches of Premiership football. Midweek games are a revenue for us.As a Notts supporter I am also well aware that attendances are an important income stream. My other post was just a general throwaway remark to your; "It would require a huge reduction of games which would impact club revenue. So despite the fact that a few fans can’t make games, isn’t going to impact that. It would require a huge reduction of games which would impact club revenue. So despite the fact that a few fans can’t make games, isn’t going to impact that".

BigFatPie
28-11-2023, 07:19 PM
As a Notts fan I look beyond the riches of Premiership football. Midweek games are a revenue for us.

I certainly wouldn’t advocate getting rid of midweek games, but I think playing midweek games on the last Tuesday in November is pretty ridiculous. Tuesdays nearer the start of the season make more sense, there are league cup games then though, but there must be some spaces.

Notts used to kick off at 7.30 years ago it was changed iirc to give people more time to get home from work have tea etc etc.

upthemaggies
28-11-2023, 07:51 PM
We changed from our regular 7:30pm evening kick off to 7:45pm in 1990.

upthemaggies
28-11-2023, 07:57 PM
There goes my yaps.

upthemaggies
28-11-2023, 08:01 PM
wrong thread

1955pie
29-11-2023, 08:46 AM
Last nights match finished 17 minutes late.
3 mins for yet another remembrance.
4 mins 1st half added.
3 mins late starting 2nd half.
7 minutes added time.