6. Ron Still
7. Brian Bates
8. George Hannah
9. Derek Pace
10. Dennis Shiels
11. Frank Kirkup

Yes, it was that long ago!
Monday 23rd August 1965

11 visits since then in the league without a win. We won there in the FA Trophy, behind closed doors, but that barely counts.

It's not quite the worst current AWAY winless league and Play Off sequence, we're at 22 games without a win at Liverpool, 15 at Derby and 12 at Bolton, but at a club like Stockport - who've gone all the way down to tier 6 - that's a shocking run.

slack_pie
20-12-2023, 02:48 PM
That's a crazy stat! Can't see us ending that run anytime soon I'm afraid, but you never know!

upthemaggies
20-12-2023, 03:00 PM
Looking at the league history comparison graph, it's quite depressing that we're going into this match as if we're going to Anfield or the City of Manchester Stadium and expecting to get thrashed.

https://i.ibb.co/FJM12Kn/NCOSTK.png

tied_up_in_notts
20-12-2023, 03:07 PM
Not quite as depressing as losing 5-1 at Sutton United or 3-1 at Harrogate (Harrogate ffs)

marky
20-12-2023, 03:21 PM
Stockport are beatable - everyone is in this league but sadly I can't see us coming remotely close to managing it.

slack_pie
20-12-2023, 03:30 PM
Looking at the league history comparison graph, it's quite depressing that we're going into this match as if we're going to Anfield or the City of Manchester Stadium and expecting to get thrashed.

https://i.ibb.co/FJM12Kn/NCOSTK.png

History counts for nothing when you are lining up against an expensively assembled squad that's packed with winners. Stockport are simply a better team than us at the moment.

maddogslater
20-12-2023, 05:04 PM
Think last time I was there was a 0 0 featuring Gavin flash Gordon

magpie_mania
20-12-2023, 05:28 PM
1. George Smith
2. Ivan Hampton
3. Tony Bircumshaw
4. David Coates
5. Alex Gibson
6. Ron Still
7. Brian Bates
8. George Hannah
9. Derek Pace
10. Dennis Shiels
11. Frank Kirkup

Monday 23rd August 1965

11 visits since then in the league without a win. We won there in the FA Trophy, behind closed doors, but that barely counts.

It's not quite the worst current AWAY winless league and Play Off sequence, we're at 22 games without a win at Liverpool, 15 at Derby and 12 at Bolton, but at a club like Stockport - who've gone all the way down to tier 6 - that's a shocking run.

George Smith - the first goalkeeper I remember when he was playing at Arnold. Great character - it would have been early 70's.

Arnold had a great team then, anyone remember Bobby Tait (also ex Notts), Joe Boucher, Peter 'Shonky' Burton, Arthur Oldham, John Anthony ..... can't remember other names!

Sorry for going a bit O/T!

SmiffyPie
20-12-2023, 05:38 PM
No need to mention George (I do every time an old team post crops up) but Doc Pace!! I remember seeing him so many times with his back to the goal on the goal line and turning so fast to beat his man, pure class to my young eyes.

upthemaggies
20-12-2023, 05:54 PM
Arnold had a great team then, anyone remember Bobby Tait (also ex Notts),

IIRC Bobby Tait is now a resident at a care home in the Arnold area.

irish_pie
20-12-2023, 06:58 PM
Stockport are beatable - everyone is in this league but sadly I can't see us coming remotely close to managing it.

100% correct that Stockport are beatable but the way we have rolled over in the past few weeks is simply alarming... would take your arm off at the shoulder for a dour 0-0 but we all know we will allow them to score at least 2 so it's a game I will watch while hiding behind the couch 😀

The Dug Out
20-12-2023, 07:01 PM
IIRC Bobby Tait is now a resident at a care home in the Arnold area.
He had the sports shop on front street, next to the horse & jockey, Arnold Sports.

The Dug Out
20-12-2023, 07:04 PM
George Smith - the first goalkeeper I remember when he was playing at Arnold. Great character - it would have been early 70's.

Arnold had a great team then, anyone remember Bobby Tait (also ex Notts), Joe Boucher, Peter 'Shonky' Burton, Arthur Oldham, John Anthony ..... can't remember other names!
Sorry for going a bit O/T!

Terry Hennesey

nw6pie
20-12-2023, 09:01 PM
He had the sports shop on front street, next to the horse & jockey, Arnold Sports.

I was just about to ask if that was him. Bought my first football top from there in the 70s - in the days before you could get a Notts replica kit, of course.

Read an article the other day that said Admiral produced the first replica kits - for Leeds in 1973 (I think). Anyone remember which Notts shirt was the first one you could buy in the club shop?

BigFatPie
20-12-2023, 10:21 PM
The sort of game underestimated Notts teams of the past have sometimes won. You never know, might just be the one to get the season back on track.

magpie_mania
20-12-2023, 11:03 PM

That's Mapperley Sports. Arnold Sports which Bobby ran was further down Front Street (near the Co-op). I bought my Owzthat game from him.

Lullapie
20-12-2023, 11:03 PM
1. George Smith
2. Ivan Hampton
3. Tony Bircumshaw
4. David Coates
5. Alex Gibson
6. Ron Still
7. Brian Bates
8. George Hannah
9. Derek Pace
10. Dennis Shiels
11. Frank Kirkup

Monday 23rd August 1965

How long is our non-winning streak against Juventus?

upthemaggies
21-12-2023, 08:57 AM
How long is our non-winning streak against Juventus?

If we're including friendlies then the same number as our winless runs with Third Lanark, Kenya Breweries, Wageningen and Port Authority, amongst others.

tommopie8
21-12-2023, 11:54 AM
If we're including friendlies then the same number as our winless runs with Third Lanark, Kenya Breweries, Wageningen and Port Authority, amongst others.

Sounds interesting - any more details on these games?

upthemaggies
21-12-2023, 12:38 PM
Sounds interesting - any more details on these games?

We've played a lot of crazy teams as one off friendlies going way back, including "Dolphin", The RAF, "North Holland Select", "Leopards", "Americo Di Mexico" and my personal favourite, Bangkok Metro Admin.

Lullapie
21-12-2023, 09:22 PM

:).

I love your work on the forum UTM!.

Have a lovely Christmas.