PDA

View Full Version : Review of Leeds United v Ipswich

BelfastAndy
24-12-2023, 06:37 PM
In the build up to today’s game Jesse ‘the Ghost of Christmas past’ Marsch had been busy telling the press that his sacking had come just as he was about to turn things around at Leeds and, if he’d remained, we would have stayed up.

We’ll never know what might have happened had Lasso stayed but, if by some miracle he had kept us up, I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t be feeling this joyful on the Saturday night before Christmas.

The Sunderland loss, followed by a home draw against Coventry, had some Leeds fans doubting our ability to clinch automatic promotion, but while those two teams chose to sit deep and deprive us of space, a confident Ipswich came to take the game to us and look for the win.

It would prove to be a tactic that would be their undoing, as we turned on Christmas cracker of a performance, to claim a well deserved win.

With Ipswich pushing up the park Summerville, James and Rutter, found themselves with acres of lovely green grass, rather than mounds of players, to run into. While in the previous two games they’d cut frustrated figures, as they probed for space in a packed box, in this game they looked as happy as my dog chasing a squirrel, racing away from the trailing Ipswich defenders.

For all our excellent football we took the lead in a very un-Leeds like way, scoring from a corner, with Pascal showed the instincts of a Struijker (you can blame the lad who sits next to me for that one) to head home from close range, after Piroes original effort was well save by their keeper.

The second came when Summerville found himself running at pace toward the Ipswich defence. With my nephew and the lads around me shouting ‘give it to Piroe’, Crysencio chose to ignore them and our Dutch goal scorer, instead racing past another two men before squaring the ball for Leeds old boy Leif Davis to coolly steer the ball into his own net.

That goal did see Ipswich start to come into the game but, other than one superb effort which clipped the post, they were struggling to make any impression on our back four. With the half drawing to a close Summerville once again proved too hot to handle, driving into the box, before being sent sprawling by Davis.

Having wrestled the ball away from Prioe I was a bit worried our young Dutch winger was about to do a Bamford, but he showed he is made of sterner stuff, blasting home the resulting penalty before celebrating wildly with his Wily (sorry I couldn’t resist it!).

At three goals to good the game was over as a contest early in the second half when Piroe made up for hitting the bar just moments before by smashing home the fourth.

While Summerville grabbed two goals Rutter also deserves a special mention, as he was once again the creative driving force in the team, only denied a goal of his own by the cross bar.

After the fourth goal the game turned into a bit of a procession, giving Spence the opportunity to show us some silky skills on the ball, to match his natty hairdo. I was keen to try and get a ‘he’s got a pineapple on his head’ chant going it turned out I was once again showing my age, with my references to Jason Lee being met with blank looks from the lads around me.

Hopefully this is a result that will convince those doubters that Farke is rightly the ghost of Christmas present and hopefully Christmas future.

Let me finish by saying;

Cardinal Wolsey ……

Nathaniel Bacon ………

Ralph Fiennes ……..

Ed Sheeran ……. can you hear me Ed Sheeran?

Your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating ………

A very very happy Christmas to you all and thank you for all your comments and likes over the year!

(Credit: Lowfields Loony Pen on Facebook)

I certainly hope we can roll out consistent similar performances over second half of season. Best wishes to you all over Christmas and New Year. I'm the original Grinch though. Stressed out. Andy.

BelfastAndy
24-12-2023, 06:43 PM
Loony - articulate, accurate and witty every week.

WTF11
24-12-2023, 06:58 PM
In the build up to today’s game Jesse ‘the Ghost of Christmas past’ Marsch had been busy telling the press that his sacking had come just as he was about to turn things around at Leeds and, if he’d remained, we would have stayed up.

We’ll never know what might have happened had Lasso stayed but, if by some miracle he had kept us up, I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t be feeling this joyful on the Saturday night before Christmas.

The Sunderland loss, followed by a home draw against Coventry, had some Leeds fans doubting our ability to clinch automatic promotion, but while those two teams chose to sit deep and deprive us of space, a confident Ipswich came to take the game to us and look for the win.

It would prove to be a tactic that would be their undoing, as we turned on Christmas cracker of a performance, to claim a well deserved win.

With Ipswich pushing up the park Summerville, James and Rutter, found themselves with acres of lovely green grass, rather than mounds of players, to run into. While in the previous two games they’d cut frustrated figures, as they probed for space in a packed box, in this game they looked as happy as my dog chasing a squirrel, racing away from the trailing Ipswich defenders.

For all our excellent football we took the lead in a very un-Leeds like way, scoring from a corner, with Pascal showed the instincts of a Struijker (you can blame the lad who sits next to me for that one) to head home from close range, after Piroes original effort was well save by their keeper.

The second came when Summerville found himself running at pace toward the Ipswich defence. With my nephew and the lads around me shouting ‘give it to Piroe’, Crysencio chose to ignore them and our Dutch goal scorer, instead racing past another two men before squaring the ball for Leeds old boy Leif Davis to coolly steer the ball into his own net.

That goal did see Ipswich start to come into the game but, other than one superb effort which clipped the post, they were struggling to make any impression on our back four. With the half drawing to a close Summerville once again proved too hot to handle, driving into the box, before being sent sprawling by Davis.

Having wrestled the ball away from Prioe I was a bit worried our young Dutch winger was about to do a Bamford, but he showed he is made of sterner stuff, blasting home the resulting penalty before celebrating wildly with his Wily (sorry I couldn’t resist it!).

At three goals to good the game was over as a contest early in the second half when Piroe made up for hitting the bar just moments before by smashing home the fourth.

While Summerville grabbed two goals Rutter also deserves a special mention, as he was once again the creative driving force in the team, only denied a goal of his own by the cross bar.

After the fourth goal the game turned into a bit of a procession, giving Spence the opportunity to show us some silky skills on the ball, to match his natty hairdo. I was keen to try and get a ‘he’s got a pineapple on his head’ chant going it turned out I was once again showing my age, with my references to Jason Lee being met with blank looks from the lads around me.

Hopefully this is a result that will convince those doubters that Farke is rightly the ghost of Christmas present and hopefully Christmas future.

Let me finish by saying;

Cardinal Wolsey ……

Nathaniel Bacon ………

Ralph Fiennes ……..

Ed Sheeran ……. can you hear me Ed Sheeran?

Your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating ………

A very very happy Christmas to you all and thank you for all your comments and likes over the year!

(Credit: Lowfields Loony Pen on Facebook)

I certainly hope we can roll out consistent similar performances over second half of season. Best wishes to you all over Christmas and New Year. I'm the original Grinch though. Stressed out. Andy.

Agreed on the vast majority of that analysis. Problem being that the degree of accuracy of the assessment means that it won't be the only one, our opposition will have seen what we did against Leicester and Ipswich, and conversely what we DIDN'T do against Sunderland, Coventry etc, and devise tactics that seek to exploit our relative inability to penetrate entrenched defences and to track back when said defences play out on the break. It might even lead to teams that are in the Leicester/Ipswich "mould" to switch to a more "park the bus" tactic, simply to confound our ability to do what we did to both.

Need to see Farke develop accordingly, with a maintenance the dynamic forward play the seeks to penetrate those solid defences, as opposed to the pedestrian, tappy-tappy square/backward passing obsession that we saw against Sunderland and Coventry, that kills any dynamism, allows the opposition to take a breather, gather their own pace and press us back in our own half. He has a second half of the season to show that unlike Bielsa, he can develop a "Plan B" when it's required, and it will be!

I'll compete with you regarding the Grinch persona, but wish all LUFC supporters, whoever and wherever, a Christmas and New Year to remember

Oh, and by the way, thankyou VERY much for the supply of those great links, much appreciated

BelfastAndy
24-12-2023, 07:19 PM
De nada

hopelesslyoptimistic
24-12-2023, 07:22 PM
If Jesse had stayed we would have gone down sooner.

CalverleyBoy
24-12-2023, 07:28 PM
Jeez I thought you had written for a moment; should have know better. Apart from a few moments Ipswich looked off the mark, long may it last. The question is what do we want to see from their game with Leicester. A draw might be the best as long as we whoop the KnOb enders

cherrypie7
24-12-2023, 08:09 PM
2 complaints:
1. Djed Spence hairstyle. I am almost convinced that it can hurt someone.
2. Patrick Bamford's hairstyle. I am almost convinced that it isn't a joke.

hopelesslyoptimistic
24-12-2023, 08:22 PM
Not sure he got the reaction to it he wanted when he took his Beanie off.

The crowd reaction and Daniel Farke’s face sort of said - my god WTF is that.