PDA

View Full Version : News

since41
28-12-2023, 12:49 PM
Good

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67770971

Kyle95
28-12-2023, 01:08 PM
I have no doubts about the ambition for Championship football, but the 'resources' hmmm i think i'll wait to see what happens in January. To say we could 'easily' cope financially in L1 is a very bold statement. The top clubs in L1 operate with minimum 6 million wage budgets. Even Oxford who many people criticised on here have players on 6k+ a week.

tied_up_in_notts
28-12-2023, 01:09 PM
How incredibly fortunate we were the day the Reedtz brothers walked into Meadow Lane. I wouldn't swap them for any amount of Hollywood stars, oil sheikhs or Russian billionaire oligarchs

marky
28-12-2023, 01:13 PM
How incredibly fortunate we were the day the Reedtz brothers walked into Meadow Lane. I wouldn't swap them for any amount of Hollywood stars, oil sheikhs or Russian billionaire oligarchs

Hope you're still thinking/saying that in a few years time.

Iremongersrighthand
28-12-2023, 01:47 PM
Well, l love the Reedtz brothers too, but money takes you a long way if you spend it wisely 👍

marky
28-12-2023, 01:52 PM
I have no doubts about the ambition for Championship football, but the 'resources' hmmm i think i'll wait to see what happens in January. To say we could 'easily' cope financially in L1 is a very bold statement. The top clubs in L1 operate with minimum 6 million wage budgets. Even Oxford who many people criticised on here have players on 6k+ a week.

I watch quite a lot of League One football and the standard has really moved on since Notts County last played in it 9 years ago (god it's so painful to type out it's been 9 years).

upthemaggies
28-12-2023, 02:00 PM
Four and half years in and that's the first time we've ever had a statement of intent. On the gates we're getting now though, it would be pretty outrageous not to have that ambition. We'd be the 7th best supported club in L1 today with our current average.

BanjoPie
28-12-2023, 02:01 PM
How nice to have a thread about football ;D

TSANHO
28-12-2023, 02:19 PM
The pessimist in me saw the “owe 11 million to other parties” 🤦*♂️

Old_pie
28-12-2023, 02:32 PM
Four and half years in and that's the first time we've ever had a statement of intent. On the gates we're getting now though, it would be pretty outrageous not to have that ambition. We'd be the 7th best supported club in L1 today with our current average.

Just as long as it's not "Championship in 5 years" which for the last two owners meant "our money won't last if we don't get there in time".

matt_magpie
28-12-2023, 02:37 PM
Just as long as it's not "Championship in 5 years" which for the last two owners meant "our money won't last if we don't get there in time".

Hardy did get us out of League Two though.

1955pie
28-12-2023, 02:38 PM
The pessimist in me saw the “owe 11 million to other parties” 🤦*♂️

Have the latest accounts been published?
I seem to recall some were published last December with debts of around £17m if I’m remembering correctly. (But I don’t know which financial year they applied to)
If there are new ones around it would be good if someone could find them and put them up on here.

marky
28-12-2023, 02:48 PM
I just wish we weren't 11 points off the atomatic places, that bad run has given us so much ground to make up tbh it looks like we'll have to go in the play offs with hopefully the same ending as last season.

BanjoPie
28-12-2023, 02:59 PM
I just wish we weren't 11 points off the atomatic places, that bad run has given us so much ground to make up tbh it looks like we'll have to go in the play offs with hopefully the same ending as last season.

I make it 6 points off the 3rd spot (Mansfield 3rd on 45 points - 11points behind Stockport)

marky
28-12-2023, 03:09 PM
I make it 6 points off the 3rd spot (Mansfield 3rd on 45 points - 11points behind Stockport)

Yeah, ignore me I've done it again, forgot 3 go up automatically.

1955pie
28-12-2023, 03:09 PM

Mansfield do have 2 games in hand.
7 points behind Wrexham and they have 1 game in hand.
I suppose if we beat Stockport at home and Wrexham+Mansfield away it might help a bit.
😄

Kyle95
28-12-2023, 03:10 PM
I watch quite a lot of League One football and the standard has really moved on since Notts County last played in it 9 years ago (god it's so painful to type out it's been 9 years).

Crazy isn’t! At one stage I thought Keith Curle was going to get us over the line. Still to this day I despise Ray Trew for not giving him/us the quality striker we needed.

Elite_Pie
28-12-2023, 03:52 PM
Danish brothers Alexander and Christoffer Reedtz have had to put less into Notts this season than anticipated. "We have actually cut that in half effectively already because of the crowds we've had this season, so we are in a good place," Palmer said. "We don't have any unexpected losses... and we have have more freedom to think this season."

Hopefully this bit will enable some good additions next month.

Old_pie
28-12-2023, 04:08 PM
Hopefully this bit will enable some good additions next month.

... next week :D

matt_magpie
28-12-2023, 04:24 PM
It’s music to my ears that we underspent in the summer even if we hadn’t seen the gate increase.
Even though it’s a double whammy that we did need extra players and gates were higher, I’d rather the owners err on the side of caution than the other way. There’s no doubt it’s cost us some points but what we have now is an accurate view of what players we need for League 2 for the second half than guesswork at the start. It will also be good to freshen up the squad in Jan with some real quality to lift the group, but obviously we need to get them in.

kill_the_drum
28-12-2023, 04:44 PM
Yeah I’m hoping the same.
From memory they also said the willingness to spend in Jan will be influenced by our league position.
Another win tomorrow and we’re still in the hunt for top 3.

Kyle95
28-12-2023, 06:49 PM
If the rumours are true we will be looking for a new coach soon, as well as players. The word from the Swansea end is they're in for LW. Apparently it's not a done deal, but it's got to the stage of Notts naming the price (500k)

marky
28-12-2023, 06:53 PM
If the rumours are true we will be looking for a new coach soon, as well as players. The word from the Swansea end is they're in for LW. Apparently it's not a done deal, but it's got to the stage of Notts naming the price (500k)

Here we go .........

upthemaggies
28-12-2023, 07:11 PM

Dyaln "BrewsterBallNews" on X appears to be the source for pushing this back to the forefront, though LW remains close 2nd favourite to Sheehan in the latest odds I saw with van Bronckhorst then some way behind at 8/1 or 10/1.

Magpike
28-12-2023, 07:11 PM
I might see what odds I can get on the number of clubs LW is linked with this season!

tied_up_in_notts
28-12-2023, 07:35 PM
I might see what odds I can get on the number of clubs LW is linked with this season!
Whilst you're at it, see if you can get the odds on the number of Notts fans that will fall for it every time some joker makes up a rumour on social media

SwalePie
28-12-2023, 07:44 PM
I've heard Man Utd. are after Luke to replace Ten Haag as it'll save Jim Ratcliffe paying to change the official photos.

the_anticlough
28-12-2023, 07:52 PM
I've heard Man Utd. are after Luke to replace Ten Haag as it'll save Jim Ratcliffe paying to change the official photos.

If Ten Haag spent less time cooking crystal meth in his RV, Man U might've had a chance this season.

irish_pie
28-12-2023, 07:57 PM
We are an incredibly well ran football club and the fact the crowds are making the financial side of things easier for the brothers is a testament to how far we have come since they took over... an exciting future in store with these 2 at the helm.

BigFatPie
28-12-2023, 08:00 PM
We’ve gone from past chairmen constantly moaning about low attendances to the current owners having to put in less money than they thought because of high attendances.

Quite the journey.

irish_pie
28-12-2023, 08:05 PM
Here we go .........

I actually looked this up and I seen the response from some of the Swansea fans...one was hilarious... "way to much baggage involved with this guy and we deserve much much better than him" .... I nearly choked on my cornflakes...you would swear they were Real Madrid or someone like that 😃

OP67
28-12-2023, 08:06 PM

I guess it depends whether he'd rather work for an American hedge fund with only profits in mind or for a couple of football fans with the funds to push on through the leagues. I know which one I'd prefer.

Kyle95
28-12-2023, 08:08 PM
Whilst you're at it, see if you can get the odds on the number of Notts fans that will fall for it every time some joker makes up a rumour on social media

In fairness i never said i believed it. However this is a fans forum, and i don't think it's a bad thing to pass on and discuss rumours.

magpie_mania
28-12-2023, 08:17 PM

Not sure you will be too bothered. You said earlier that he is naive, stubborn and that questions need to be asked about him.

I think you should let us know where your 'information' has come from. Name the sauce!

Elite_Pie
28-12-2023, 09:13 PM

I usually take an interest in what the bookies are offering to get an impartial view on many things, but I only take note of new manager odds when the favourite goes 1/10 or shorter, especially in the lower leagues.

Jeekay56
28-12-2023, 09:33 PM
How nice to have a thread about football ;D

There's nothing to stop you starting football related threads!

durhampie
28-12-2023, 11:54 PM
At the end of the day IF LW is offered the job and he wants to move to be closer to his family and the wages are significantly higher, then couldn't blame him.. But, we are Notts County, and i am sure if the unexpected happens then the Bros will already have a replacement lined up....

ThaiPie
29-12-2023, 08:17 AM
I'd like to see Notts in the Premiership.

The Dug Out
29-12-2023, 08:37 AM
Im not so enthusiastic about that, i want to leave Lawtons Bar at 14:58, go for a pee and be sat in my seat for 15:00, or the relative times for evening KO's etc, cant see that being tha case if we get to that division!.

Kyle95
29-12-2023, 09:24 AM
Not sure you will be too bothered. You said earlier that he is naive, stubborn and that questions need to be asked about him.

I think you should let us know where your 'information' has come from. Name the sauce!

Correct I did and I stand by that. Would i be disappointed if he left, yes because overall I think he’s done a good job. That being said I do think he’s been incredibly stubborn over the past few months.

Funnily enough I also said on here Langstaff should play deeper to get him in the game more. Luke Williams has now done that, and what do you know he’s in the game more…

the_anticlough
29-12-2023, 10:14 AM
Correct I did and I stand by that. Would i be disappointed if he left, yes because overall I think he’s done a good job. That being said I do think he’s been incredibly stubborn over the past few months.

How has he been incredibly stubborn?

Others might say he's been resolute in sticking to his beliefs and what's taken us from NL flops to L2 play-off probables.

magpie_mania
29-12-2023, 11:06 AM

Others might say he's been resolute in sticking to his beliefs and what's taken us from NL flops to L2 play-off probables.

'I stand by that ....' could be viewed as being stubborn too!

He clearly believes that the way we are going about things is the right one, and is holding on to that when the road gets bumpy. I agree with him.

Kyle95
29-12-2023, 11:11 AM

His reluctance to change the system and the high line, that has been getting exposed since the back end of last season. Granted that has changed somewhat since Stockport. He changed the system to a 4 at half time, and I thought it worked well. We are now playing somewhat of a ‘striker less’ system with Didzy and Langstaff playing much deeper. Doncaster whether they’re poor or not was more the dominant performance this team is capable of. Long may that continue.

Kyle95
29-12-2023, 11:17 AM
'I stand by that ....' could be viewed as being stubborn too!

He clearly believes that the way we are going about things is the right one, and is holding on to that when the road gets bumpy. I agree with him.

It’s not my problem that your brain is too simple to understand, that you can question some things the gaffer does and still think he’s doing a good job overall.

Why with football do fans feel it has to be 0 or 100…

magpie_mania
29-12-2023, 11:18 AM
His reluctance to change the system and the high line, that has been getting exposed since the back end of last season. Granted that has changed somewhat since Stockport. He changed the system to a 4 at half time, and I thought it worked well. We are now playing somewhat of a ‘striker less’ system with Didzy and Langstaff playing much deeper. Doncaster whether they’re poor or not was more the dominant performance this team is capable of. Long may that continue.

How many did we play at the back v Doncaster? 3 or your 4?

He has a system and chooses a team to execute it. What a good job he didn't throw it away after the Sutton game.

Gone are the old days of get a manager, let him play how he wants, try to buy a new squad, lose a few games and start again, ad nauseum.

Kyle95
29-12-2023, 11:25 AM
How many did we play at the back v Doncaster? 3 or your 4?
He has a system and chooses a team to execute it. What a good job he didn't throw it away after the Sutton game.

Gone are the old days of get a manager, let him play how he wants, try to buy a new squad, lose a few games and start again, ad nauseum.

We played the wing back system with a slight tweak. As I’ve already pointed out both Langstaff and McGoldrick, both dropped much deeper and got involved in the build up more. As I’ve already said at times we didn’t even have a striker up there, which I have no problem with. The movement was a lot more fluid and I’m a big fan.

magpie_mania
29-12-2023, 11:29 AM
It’s not my problem that your brain is too simple to understand, that you can question some things the gaffer does and still think he’s doing a good job overall.

Why with football do fans feel it has to be 0 or 100…

Where have I said you can't question? FWIW I wouldn't always pick the same team he does, especially earlier in the season. I often wouldn't make the same substitions. It's just that I don't bother posting it on here every time.

I am really happy with where we are, both league position and the way the club are going about it. We were top of the league playing this system, well done Luke for sticking with it.

magpie_mania
29-12-2023, 11:30 AM
We played the wing back system with a slight tweak. As I’ve already pointed out both Langstaff and McGoldrick, both dropped much deeper and got involved in the build up more. As I’ve already said at times we didn’t even have a striker up there, which I have no problem with. The movement was a lot more fluid and I’m a big fan.

Is that 3 or 4? What was the slight tweak?

Kyle95
29-12-2023, 11:38 AM
Is that 3 or 4? What was the slight tweak?
Blimey, I’ve said it twice already the system tweak was rather than Langstaff playing in the 6 yard box at all times, he got involved more by dropping deeper. That is something I’m sure LW has told him to do. Langstaff rather than playing as a natural number 9, played as an attacking midfielder along with McGoldrick (strikerless) it was the wing back system that we are used to with a slight change in the build up. I repeat again I think it was a good change to the way Macca plays and something that was long overdue IMO.

the_anticlough
29-12-2023, 11:49 AM

Lots to respond to there Kyle.
The 4 at Harrogate after 60mins (not Stockport) was desperate measures (out of anger probably) to make a 4-1-1-4 bizarrely (easy to view from the top of the Main stand there). He hardly ever goes to a 4 and it didn't work much there that's for sure, and back to the trusty 3 at the back system straight away - the one he's used in all of his 72 league games in charge.
It beats me why some fans want to unpick what's brought us our success.

irishpete
29-12-2023, 11:54 AM
Where's the 500k come from? Pure speculation, seems cheap when he is linked to every job going outside the PL.Is he not signed until 27 now after extending his deal in the Summer? We don't even really know what players we are after, unless like KIntore or me & they were after a relation that plays. It's all very quietly & professionally done at the club nowdays

Kyle95
29-12-2023, 12:05 PM
Lots to respond to there Kyle.
The 4 at Harrogate after 60mins (not Stockport) was desperate measures (out of anger probably) to make a 4-1-1-4 bizarrely (easy to view from the top of the Main stand there). He hardly ever goes to a 4 and it didn't work much there that's for sure, and back to the trusty 3 at the back system straight away - the one he's used in all of his 72 league games in charge.
It beats me why some fans want to unpick what's brought us our success.

It looked to me that we changed to a 4-3-3 against Stockport in the 2nd half. You’re correct he has used a 3 back system for the most part, but this season it started as more of the 3-4-2-1 system we were used too last season. Doncaster I would say it was a striker less system, but if you want to actually put a more commonly used tag on it I would say it was a 3-5-2. So yes the ‘trust my 3 at the back’ but again with a slight tweak to the way it played.

the_anticlough
29-12-2023, 05:52 PM
It looked to me that we changed to a 4-3-3 against Stockport in the 2nd half. You’re correct he has used a 3 back system for the most part, but this season it started as more of the 3-4-2-1 system we were used too last season. Doncaster I would say it was a striker less system, but if you want to actually put a more commonly used tag on it I would say it was a 3-5-2. So yes the ‘trust my 3 at the back’ but again with a slight tweak to the way it played.

I think the back 3, which LW has used for 99% of the league football he's been our coach, is the foundation of his system.

It's what they have practiced in training for a year and a half.
It's what they have had the unit meetings about
It's what LW and Russell Martin introduced at MK Dons and Swansea and the latter is now doing at So'ton
We got all those points, goals and promotion with a back 3 and wingers
When he and players speak about learning the detail, it's about the playing patterns and moves which start with that graduated and layered configuration at the back

A decade or so ago you might still have most managers changing their systems and formations at the drop of hat. A bad run? "Right lads, we're going 4-4-2 today'' or 5-3-2 like NA did when his job was on the line and after that players' meeting.

Our regime though is more sophisticated than that. They spend the pre-season installing a system and they're not just going back to the drawing board because a few fans are used to chopping and changing as soon as a bad run comes along. He gives into pressure (luckily the majority understand), undoes all the work and when things get worse the same fans are not calling for a change of shape anymore, they want a change of manager. He's failed then in his promise to the owners, the players and the fans.

Good for LW that he sticks to his beliefs, and this very clear identity is what probably appeals to the other clubs and why he's up among the favourites for each new job opening.