PDA

View Full Version : Total Football

SmiffyPie
29-12-2023, 11:03 PM
I wonder if LW has given the players positional freedom to play his possession game as the play dictates (Total Football as it is meant to be)?
From the Stockport game forwards we have seen Langstaff dropping deep and playing wide, Bostock playing mid left and right and sweeping, Nemane attacking alone more and coming central, Cowley doing the same, Stone playing square of his last man and on the edge of his box, Cameron really pushing forward and Baldwin much more decisive. Players are more available for a forward pass and the play itself is much more forward biased. There has definitely been a transformation in approach and the players have certainly benefited from whatever has been said or done. IMO none more so than Cameron, he seems to have got rid of the stone around his neck (maintaining possession at all costs) and is playing with so much more confidence and he is the better player for it.
What a fantastic performance tonight.

jackal2
29-12-2023, 11:13 PM
I think confidence has a lot to do with it, but whatever the reason, we looked a great team tonight. Creative and mostly positive in possession, and aggressive when we lost the ball, winning it back quickly.

kill_the_drum
29-12-2023, 11:14 PM
I just watched the game tonight in total amazement. That first half was just breathtaking.
Our undoing this season hasn’t been the high press, it’s been the man marking.
I think what we’re seeing is the answer to that. Players moving all over the pitch and dragging the opposition into an absolute state.
In the second half tonight Morecambes centre back tracked McGoldrick all the way back to Aidan Stone. He was 50 yards out of position.
I absolutely love this club at the moment.
Never did I imagine I’d get to see Notts County playing this brand of football so convincingly. And it’s still evolving.

Kyle95
30-12-2023, 10:48 AM
I wonder if LW has given the players positional freedom to play his possession game as the play dictates (Total Football as it is meant to be)?
From the Stockport game forwards we have seen Langstaff dropping deep and playing wide, Bostock playing mid left and right and sweeping, Nemane attacking alone more and coming central, Cowley doing the same, Stone playing square of his last man and on the edge of his box, Cameron really pushing forward and Baldwin much more decisive. Players are more available for a forward pass and the play itself is much more forward biased. There has definitely been a transformation in approach and the players have certainly benefited from whatever has been said or done. IMO none more so than Cameron, he seems to have got rid of the stone around his neck (maintaining possession at all costs) and is playing with so much more confidence and he is the better player for it.
What a fantastic performance tonight.

I’m glad I’m not the only one that saw the tactical change at Stockport. Langstaff actually confirmed last night, that since Stockport his role has changed and he now plays much deeper.

Start of the season it was very much a rigid 3-4-2-1 with very few players roaming. Last night it was total football as you said. At one stage we had Jones as a striker, Cameron as the LWB, and Nemane as the LCM.

LW confirmed last night that in the last few weeks Langstaff has played in 3 different roles. Brilliant tactical tweak from the gaffer, one I have been asking for since the start of the season. Last night much like Doncaster was a joy to watch. Credit to the staff and the all the players.

jackal2
30-12-2023, 11:18 AM
I’m glad I’m not the only one that saw the tactical change at Stockport. Langstaff actually confirmed last night, that since Stockport his role has changed and he now plays much deeper.

It looks to be making a hell of a difference and suiting both Macauley and Didzy.

Langstaff was previously getting very frustrated and isolated but is now able to move into positions where he gets more of the ball and can show just how good an all-round footballer he is, and I think McGoldrick too has looked far more comfortable with the new approach, playing a role that is natural to him. The suspicion before was that we weren't getting the absolute best out of two of our most talented players, but we seem to be doing that now, and the confidence of the rest of the team seems to have flowed from that.

ajojones
30-12-2023, 11:19 AM
I just watched the game tonight in total amazement. That first half was just breathtaking.
I think what we’re seeing is the answer to that. Players moving all over the pitch and dragging the opposition into an absolute state.
In the second half tonight Morecambes centre back tracked McGoldrick all the way back to Aidan Stone. He was 50 yards out of position.
Never did I imagine I’d get to see Notts County playing this brand of football so convincingly. And it’s still evolving.

This - awesome stuff and great observations.

Elite_Pie
30-12-2023, 11:43 AM
That was fantastic to watch, our passing and movement was superb and left them chasing shadows. Just as good was our work off the ball, when they did get possession we quickly won it back. Every player did their job well.

We now need to show we can do it away, starting on Monday.

Kyle95
30-12-2023, 11:54 AM
It looks to be making a hell of a difference and suiting both Macauley and Didzy.

Langstaff was previously getting very frustrated and isolated but is now able to move into positions where he gets more of the ball and can show just how good an all-round footballer he is, and I think McGoldrick too has looked far more comfortable with the new approach, playing a role that is natural to him. The suspicion before was that we weren't getting the absolute best out of two of our most talented players, but we seem to be doing that now, and the confidence of the rest of the team seems to have flowed from that.

Brilliant summary from you as usual Jackal. I agree especially regarding Langstaff, he was look a more frustrated figure week on week. The tactical change was a welcome one, and it seems to have let everybody off the leash so to speak. A really tough month coming up but with a few additions, and confidence improving I see know reason why we can’t keep the form going.

meoldlaner
30-12-2023, 12:27 PM
The way the team rotated last night had me going dizzy so I don't know what it must have been like for the Morecambe players.
I think it was the build up to the second goal, Didzy left his marker bemused.
Their number 16's face was a picture!
He was substituted 10 minutes later!
Later in the second half their players were hanging their heads, perplexed not by our forward play but by our defending too. (I didn't think I would say that this season).
I reckon you would have to go back to the first 25 minutes v Wrexham to have seen anything like that performance. Let's hope it continues.

kill_the_drum
30-12-2023, 12:54 PM
The added beauty of Langstaff shifting to a deeper role is it gives Scott the chance to compete for the No9 spot when he’s back, which I believe is his natural position.

the_anticlough
30-12-2023, 01:18 PM
The commentator in the Sky highlights says we have 'some magnificent footballers'...

It's great to hear that from an outsiders perspective, we may miss it as we're too immersed in the week-to-week ups and downs.

But it's true and together they make for an awesome spectacle when all on song - Crowley, Jones, McGoldrick, Bostock, Langstaff, Baldwin, Cameron all on the same L2 side! Plus so many other interesting players around them.

We saw signs last night what heights they can reach when it's all confidence and no anxiety. We should make the most of this era while it lasts

Old_pie
30-12-2023, 01:31 PM
The commentator in the Sky highlights says we have 'some magnificent footballers'...

Shame he can't differentiate between an A (as written on the back of LAngstaff's shirt) and an O (as in LOngstaff), and not for the first time if my memory serves correctly.

Elite_Pie
30-12-2023, 01:53 PM
Shame he can't differentiate between an A (as written on the back of LAngstaff's shirt) and an O (as in LOngstaff), and not for the first time if my memory serves correctly.

That annoyed me, it's not as if Macca's an unknown over the last 18 months. He also described the penalty as 'soft'. If you watch the slow motion replay the defender clearly has his arm across Nemane preventing his run and it's a yard inside the box.

Notts78
30-12-2023, 02:52 PM
Looking forward to see how any new additions can adapt to the way we play. The last few games, and LW said himself, he seen us go to another level. I wonder who made the suggestion about Macca being fluid in his positional play? In fact he isn’t the only one, it’s noticeable that several players pop up ‘out of position’ often during recent games.
Can’t wait until Clough goes man for man again, will create holes galore.

TheBlackHorse
30-12-2023, 03:06 PM
... who? ... how about LW who directs play. You only have one commander ...

magpie_mania
30-12-2023, 05:12 PM
... who? ... how about LW who directs play. You only have one commander ...

Might have been Ryan Harley or someone else - yes LW is the head coach, but a strength is being able to accept advice / suggestions from others. It is clear that we had to do something after the bad run.

Glad2BeAPie
30-12-2023, 05:25 PM
Who said Luke hasn't got a plan B, last few games he's had plans B,C,D

i961pie
30-12-2023, 05:46 PM
Who said Luke hasn't got a plan B, last few games he's had plans B,C,D

Giving Macca the freedom to roam is a masterstroke, he was struggling with being the loan striker and making life easier for the opposition defence. They aren’t sure who to mark now.

Elite_Pie
30-12-2023, 06:16 PM
Giving Macca the freedom to roam is a masterstroke, he was struggling with being the loan striker.

Bloody hell, I thought he had extended his contract.

When is he due back at Gateshead?

the_anticlough
30-12-2023, 06:18 PM
Agree, although it might have come more from trying to solve the midfield crisis - the midfield diamond with Maca at the head has definitely been a kill two birds with one stone solution.

crazyfists
30-12-2023, 06:21 PM

This. The standard of football we play for league 2 is amazing really. The movements of the players, the runs and the opening up of space is top level.

meoldlaner
31-12-2023, 12:59 AM
I think Neil Ardley tried, or wanted to play a diamond but he couldn't get the players to perform it.
I think we have players now that are more knowledgeable and a fantastic coach that can get his teachings across to them.

PedroTheFisherman66
31-12-2023, 03:20 AM
I think Neil Ardley tried, or wanted to play a diamond but he couldn't get the players to perform it.
I think we have players now that are more knowledgeable and a fantastic coach that can get his teachings across to them.

please NEVER mention that name again ! Thank you x

queenslandpie
31-12-2023, 05:13 AM
please NEVER mention that name again ! Thank you x

Good manager or bad manager Pedro? :zzz:

Old_pie
31-12-2023, 09:03 AM

My google says that Neil Ardley is jazz musician, so no wonder he couldn't get the footballers to perform.

I see Neal Ardley on the other hand was the start of the journey we are on. Whilst he didn't keep us up (toxic setup) and narrowly missed out on getting us back up first time (not an easy task), I don't see that he was a failure and he didn't have the players that we've ended up with via Burchnall and then of course King Luke.

Interesting to note that Burchnall and Nolan appear to be coaching successfully at premiership sides. Also a couple of our ex players are doing well in higher leagues (Wootton, Ruben).

SwalePie
31-12-2023, 10:36 AM
Interesting to note that Burchnall and Nolan appear to be coaching successfully at premiership sides. Also a couple of our ex players are doing well in higher leagues (Wootton, Ruben).

Wootton's still at Stockport isn't he??

Old_pie
31-12-2023, 11:18 AM
Wootton's still at Stockport isn't he??

Ah well, still higher up (at the moment :P )